Problems Installing Plugins - VWD bridge, HD Morph, GMIC

DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
edited December 2019 in Carrara Discussion

Copied files to extension folders as per instructions.  Getting the following errors.

- Carrara on my new machine is installed on the C: SSD drive, which requires adminstrator privileges.  So I had to give permission to copy the files to the extension folder.

The VWD error occurs when starting Carrara.  Says can't load mcx file.

The HD morph error occurs when inserting a vertex object.  Says can't load mcx file.

GMIC filter appears in scene menu but the list of GMIC libraries is empty

Post edited by Diomede on

Comments

• Woes!  I still don't have a Win 10 machine.  Crossing my fingers that Win 10 gurus can help you solve this.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Many other plugins seem to be working.  For example, I have successfully tested Philemo's dynamic hair converter.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,790

that's why I don't install any 3D software to the Program Files folder in Windows cool

• that's why I don't install any 3D software to the Program Files folder in Windows cool

Where do you install your programs?

edited December 2019

VWD required Python to be installed.

Still getting the error for the HD morph plugin, and the GMIC filter library remains empty.

After installing Python, was able to start Carrara without the VWD mcx error and do a simple VWD test with a plane and a cube.  yesyes

vwd test.jpg
    1892 x 1008 - 283K

that's why I don't install any 3D software to the Program Files folder in Windows cool

Yeah, I really should install on my other drive, but in theory the programs are supposed to be installed to the SSD.  angry

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i install to a logical partition on my single 2tb drive.  i've always set rhe partition as E:
    in case something i saved,  saved with a literal path, rather than a relative path. learned the hard way, in poser 4, lol

do you launch carrara with the run as administator set?

run as admin.JPG
    375 x 528 - 46K
    edited December 2019

Yay - GMIC Plugin is Now Working

I downloaded the zip file again.  I must have had an outdated version in my zip archives.

Here is the page to download some of Philemo's plugins.  After getting a new computer, I guess I should have known to check for current updates.  blush

https://sourceforge.net/projects/carrara-time-savers/files/

gmic working must have been an old version.jpg
    1530 x 838 - 192K

The HD plugin is not working yet.  Have to pause now.  Will check if it is another version problem tomorrow.  

Mystarra said:

i install to a logical partition on my single 2tb drive.  i've always set rhe partition as E:
    in case something i saved,  saved with a literal path, rather than a relative path. learned the hard way, in poser 4, lol

do you launch carrara with the run as administator set?

Good advice.  I had tried the administrator thing but that wasn't the problem.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,790

Where do you install your programs?

Programs on a 2nd internal drive and Poser/Daz/Other content on a 3rd internal drive :-)

• yeah I let everything install to default on this PC too and cannot use most my third party plugins

I didn't worry as much as still have the other PC but in hindsight it was likely the main issue

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited December 2019
    Diomede said:

I downloaded the zip file again.  I must have had an outdated version in my zip archives.

Yay!

I'm hoping that all of your plugins will install fine on the C drive.  Appreciate you sharing your experience, as I will be going there soon.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • Diomede said:

Here is the page to download some of Philemo's plugins.  After getting a new computer, I guess I should have known to check for current updates.  blush

Hi Diomede,

What kind of issue do you have with the HD plugin ?

Diomede said:

Hi Diomede,

What kind of issue do you have with the HD plugin ?

When I insert a vertex object in a scene, I get a message telling me that the HD morph mcx file failed to load.  This occurs even if I am inserting a blank vertex object into a blank scene, without any HD morphs.

• That's weird. This one doesn't have any dependencies, like GMIC or VWD do.  

The only reason I can think of is some kind of identifier conflict with an other plugin.

What plugins have you installed apart from mine ?

So far, I've installed

- some Fenric packs, including the ERC, Baker, Unlock Figure, Shader Tools

- some DCG plugins, including Cognito, Anything Grows, Anything Grooves

- some of yours, including the bridge to VWD, Phong Tessalation, Hair Converter, GMIC

Examples of what I have not installed yet

- YAToon

- Fluidos

- Some Sparrowhawke such as the replication shader randomizer or chains circle.

• I've got ERC, the complete DCG pack  and Fluidos, and, of course, all of mine.No issue there.

I've uploaded a new version with different identifiers. It should solve any conflict if this was the problem.

Please keep me posted.

• Good seeing you back Philemo.  Been worried about you.sad

edited December 2019

Must be a different problem.  I downloaded and replaced the HD Morph plugin files in the extensions folder.  Still get an error when I enter the vertex modeling room.

Maybe it is a Windows Administrator permissions thing.

Thanks for the incredibly fast response, Philemo.  

hd morph fail to load again.jpg
    635 x 373 - 29K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,786
    edited December 2019

I remember having this happen way back and have forgotten what caused it, it was if I recall user error in my case but what it was eludes me now

whats worse is I actually found the post and I had edited it and said NM user error 

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on

I remember having this happen way back and have forgotten what caused it, it was if I recall user error in my case but what it was eludes me now

whats worse is I actually found the post and I had edited it and said NM user error 

Hmm, maybe I'm placing the files in the wrong place?

I unzipped the HD Morph download.  I copied the results to my extensions folder in Carrara.  I also copied the scripts folder to my Daz Studio installation.  Could that be it?  Some sort of double script reference?

I had some good reasons to be away from Carrara for a while. Went on holydays, got married, went on honeymoon, worked like mad to make up for the time I spent doing all this.

I'm back now :-)

I had some good reasons to be away from Carrara for a while. Went on holydays, got married, went on honeymoon, worked like mad to make up for the time I spent doing all this.

congratulations heart

• Would you mind doing this little experiment:

Insert a sphere primitive

if no issue, go to modifier tab for that sphere and try to add the HD plugin modifier.

Diomede said:

I unzipped the HD Morph download.  I copied the results to my extensions folder in Carrara.  I also copied the scripts folder to my Daz Studio installation.  Could that be it?  Some sort of double script reference?

Diomede said:

Diomede said:

• Diomede said:

I have utterly no idea except it was something extremely  stupid I did, so stupid I edited my post and chose to forget it blush

my brain now refuses to recall it

Awesome!  Very happy to hear.yesyesyes

edited December 2019

Congrats, Philemo!!!!!  Such great reasons to be away from Carrara.

I did the test with the primitive sphere.  The menu option for your HD Morph is there in the modifiers tab, but I get an error message when applying it to the primitive sphere.

primitive sphere fail.jpg
    1234 x 751 - 133K
  • i think I simply forgot to import my object first

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,187

Good seeing you back Philemo.  Been worried about you.sad

Awesome! Congratulations!!!