why would an android be binary sexed?

davesodaveso Posts: 6,432

i see it often..always? there is a male and female version ... why? it could be nothing or something. Does it really matter? 

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,148
    edited December 2019

Because they’re made by humans, and because the androids available in the Daz store are, broadly speaking, designed for people who use binary sexed characters. 

Strictly speaking, all androids would be male, since the prefix “andro” refers to masculinity, as opposed to “gyn” for femininity. Hence, why you occasionally see the term “gynoid” for the female ones. 

Honestly, this is just one more part of a common issue that also includes things like anthropomorphic animals, especially non-mammals, having external breasts. 

Post edited by Gordig on
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Amazon sells them for $1,729 dollars.  

"Real silicone sex dolls 153cm robot Japanese realistic love doll sexy anime big breast..."

• Solid TPE material with metal skeleton inside
    • Perfect human body simulation design...  ...sex are all available
    • We support customization.Skin color,wig style,eyes color can be choosen to your favor.
    • Free shipping.It is generally delivered in 5-7 days, and it will take 5 to 7 days to US. On the occasion of Chinese New Year's National Day holiday, the delivery date is postponed in turn.

- note, I've used ... in consideration of TOS

• I'd imagine it's because androids would be made by humans, for humans.  Assuming that we one day go to the trouble of making robots that are human-shaped, I would rather look at a female android as it brings me drinks as opposed to one that looks like Alfred from Batman.  Thinking of it, I'd rather have a female android than one that looks like Twiki from "Buck Rogers".

My SatNav has a choice of male or female voices - the default is male, but I changed it to female as a personal preference.  No idea why, I just prefer it that way.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,234

• HaruchaiHaruchai Posts: 1,884
    edited December 2019

My SatNav has a choice of male or female voices - the default is male, but I changed it to female as a personal preference.  No idea why, I just prefer it that way.

Same reason Siri can be male or female. Most SciFi series that have robots that are even vaguely human have both male and female versions so it's not a 3D thing per se.

Post edited by Haruchai on
  • Diomede said:

Amazon sells them for $1,729 dollars.  

"Real silicone sex dolls 153cm robot Japanese realistic love doll sexy anime big breast..."

• Solid TPE material with metal skeleton inside
    • Perfect human body simulation design...  ...sex are all available
    • We support customization.Skin color,wig style,eyes color can be choosen to your favor.
    • Free shipping.It is generally delivered in 5-7 days, and it will take 5 to 7 days to US. On the occasion of Chinese New Year's National Day holiday, the delivery date is postponed in turn.

- note, I've used ... in consideration of TOS

At that price I'd expect it to do some walking and get on a plane to get here. Can you imagine the faces for the airplane staff! And customs lol ...

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,338

The answer, at least in the story/universe I'm writing, is that AIs don't want to add any more barriers to their acceptance.

A lot of people don't accept or struggle with gender-neutral pronouns like "they", and AIs don't want to be downgraded to the exceptionally impersonal "it". As such, most AIs tend to make a choice to identify as male or identify as female, because for most of them it doesn't matter which they are, it's just easier to be one or the other.

From a selling at Daz point of view though, the answer is "because some artists will create a universe in which one is the default, others will create a universe where the other is the default, and some artists will want both". A PA isn't necessarily creating for only one mythos, they're often creating products across a great many universes, but if they are going to make a male and female robot, creating them so they roughly match both requires less design work and could be a selling point for the audience who want their universe to include both.

• "It" + "It" = zip So they are "it" ...

Now, IF "it" + "it" = something then oh yeah, that's humans!!! Human[oid]s started by Cain and his folk way back when, concepts resurrected every now and then with massive earth weather changing events causing massive wipe-outs - hence the creation of what we call Celtic Crosses [the ones with all the snakes and stuff on them], he truly mourned the loss of so many of his "children" ... I meet the most interesting people ... however it is the memory leaks are caused, if anybody has any particular questions about what or why or whatever happened over the course of the years, I'll ask him for ya.

• I would imagine the sex doll's head alone would be quite expensive, no pun intended.

• GoggerGogger Posts: 2,305

There have been many studies about how we respond to a male voice vs a female voice in different circumstances. We are mostly wired this way. The same is true in regard to our inclination to purchase 3D figures. 

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,771

The word "Android" (in its common use) implies a robot that is shaped like a human being; and since human beings have genders, so do the robots shaped like them.

DAZ does sell non-gendered robots (like these ones or these ones) but they don't register as "Androids" because they're not humanoid.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

I would like Rosie from the Jetsons. She could handle my basement cleanup with nary an allergy.

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,258
    daveso said:

i see it often..always? there is a male and female version ... why? it could be nothing or something. Does it really matter? 

Another example would be our pets.  I just watch a YouTube video of a researcher who rescued a pack of wolves; they bonded enough that she could pet them without them tearing her apart. Meanwhile, we have bred dogs so that when we smile, they don;t interpret it as an aggressive baring of teeth. As a rule, we shape things to resemble ourselves.

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,760

I would like Rosie from the Jetsons. She could handle my basement cleanup with nary an allergy.

If she could access it  No one on the Jetsons would have had a basement, since all their homes were up in the air on those skinny pedestals, so Rosie's probably programmend to stay on the same level. 

On the other hand, one of the very best fan theories that I've ever heard is that the Jetsons and The Flintstones actually take place at the same time in a post apocalyptic world where the elite upper class live above the radiation and destruction in sky cities, while the lower caste workers are forced to live in stone age-like conditions, digging up the raw materials for the elites, using strange dinosaur-like mutated animals.   

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    nemesis10 said:
    daveso said:

...As a rule, we shape things to resemble ourselves.

I've done that with mashed potatoes... it's hard to make the hair look right, but usually the top gets moldy first, so people think the fuzzy hair-like strands are deliberate...

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,674

A lot of artists are men, and men will put boobs on all of the things.

• TheKD said:

This.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,569
    TheKD said:

...even space ships.

https://s3.drafthouse.com/images/made/battlebeyond3_758_426_81_s.jpg

kyoto kid said:
    TheKD said:

...even space ships.

https://s3.drafthouse.com/images/made/battlebeyond3_758_426_81_s.jpg

Beat me to it. :)  For those who don't know, the boob-ship, Nell, was of the first projects a young filmaker named James Cameron worked on after coming to Hollywood.  

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,569

...another who sort of "cut his teeth" on that film was Soundtrack Composer James Horner, who went onto write scores for such films as AliensField Of Dreams, Braveheart, Apollo 13, Titanic, and Avatar

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    Hylas said:

The word "Android" (in its common use) implies a robot that is shaped like a human being; and since human beings have genders, so do the robots shaped like them.

DAZ does sell non-gendered robots (like these ones or these ones) but they don't register as "Androids" because they're not humanoid.

My Android looks like a phone laugh

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    Ivy said:
    Hylas said:

laugh

edited December 2019
    kyoto kid said:

...another who sort of "cut his teeth" on that film was Soundtrack Composer James Horner, who went onto write scores for such films as AliensField Of Dreams, Braveheart, Apollo 13, Titanic, and Avatar

A huge percentage of the Battle Beyond The Stars team eventually formed the core of James Cameron's creative team, with their next big project, GALAXY OF TERROR, essentially being the dress reheasal for ALIENS.  The GoodBad Flicks YouTube channel released a great 30 minute documentary on the history of how the films all tied together just last week and it's well worth the time to watch  -

Post edited by Cybersox on
    edited December 2019
    Diomede said:
    Ivy said:
    Hylas said:

laugh

That's funny... my phone looks like an Android. ;) 

Post edited by Cybersox on
  • Ivy said:
    Hylas said:

The only problem with that is, these guys have been left behind and now feel sad and neglected.

https://www.daz3d.com/mobi-the-cell-phone-toon

:D :D ;D

Ivy said:
    Hylas said:

The only problem with that is, these guys have been left behind and now feel sad and neglected.

awww poor guys laugh    I imagine when I am done with my android, its going to look like a deflated Whoopi cushion  cheeky

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    McGyver said:
    nemesis10 said:
    daveso said:

...As a rule, we shape things to resemble ourselves.

I've done that with mashed potatoes... it's hard to make the hair look right, but usually the top gets moldy first, so people think the fuzzy hair-like strands are deliberate...

What, you can't do that with your Chia pet hair???wink

Ivy said:
    Ivy said:
    Hylas said:

awww poor guys laugh    I imagine when I am done with my android, its going to look like a deflated Whoopi cushion  cheeky

You had an android made that looks like Whoopi Goldberg? Well, to each their own, I guess...

Cybersox said:
    Ivy said:
    Ivy said:
    Hylas said:

You had an android made that looks like Whoopi Goldberg? Well, to each their own, I guess...

Ha! wink

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,432

well, could have a no sex android with a female sounding voice. Yeah ... its interesting the human aspect of everything. They're desgning robots that look like dogs, called roveoids