why would an android be binary sexed?

13»

Comments

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762

If I have a robot keeping my house & yard in order I'll bond with it, even if it looks like a lawn mower. laugh

I had completely forgot about Lil' Abner and didn't know they make movies of that comic & in color to boot. I'm liable to avoid all of the movies though if that clip was the best Appalachian accent they can manage. They sound like the horrid voice-over actors on the 60s Archie TV cartoon show. Generally though I prefer the theatrical stage overacting of old movies and TV shows but not that particular accent.

Re the accents - there is no one Appalachian accent, as the region runs from sothern New York to northern Mississipi.  However, although the  exact location of Dogpatch varied, Al Capp was always open about the fact that Dogpatch was actually based on Seabrook, New Hampshire, while the official Dogpatch theme park was ultimately built in Arkansas. 

That said, there were actually two movies.  The clip shown is from the second, which was a musical based on the hit Broadway show.  The older black and white film is generally more faithful to the comics, but the Broadway show version, which was considered to be extremely risque in its day, has dated far less painfully. (It was our high school paly during my sophomore year and we actually had to edit some of the dialog and scenes in order to do it in a High School. )   

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,576

...I still like the original Aikobot. 

but with this little gem final.jpg
    800 x 800 - 470K
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    Cybersox said:

If I have a robot keeping my house & yard in order I'll bond with it, even if it looks like a lawn mower. laugh

I had completely forgot about Lil' Abner and didn't know they make movies of that comic & in color to boot. I'm liable to avoid all of the movies though if that clip was the best Appalachian accent they can manage. They sound like the horrid voice-over actors on the 60s Archie TV cartoon show. Generally though I prefer the theatrical stage overacting of old movies and TV shows but not that particular accent.

Re the accents - there is no one Appalachian accent, as the region runs from sothern New York to northern Mississipi.  However, although the  exact location of Dogpatch varied, Al Capp was always open about the fact that Dogpatch was actually based on Seabrook, New Hampshire, while the official Dogpatch theme park was ultimately built in Arkansas. 

That said, there were actually two movies.  The clip shown is from the second, which was a musical based on the hit Broadway show.  The older black and white film is generally more faithful to the comics, but the Broadway show version, which was considered to be extremely risque in its day, has dated far less painfully. (It was our high school paly during my sophomore year and we actually had to edit some of the dialog and scenes in order to do it in a High School. )   

True, there is no one Appalachian accent but the people speaking in that clip didn't get close to getting it right for any of the them anywhere. The is a Dogpatch Trading Post that's been around since before I was born and before the interstate went right be it but it's just a tourist shop.

• Just because the males are under-represented... Guynoid!  Thanks for the conversational inspiration, everyone :-)

Guynoid sm.jpg
    500 x 809 - 302K
  • I found this one entertaining and surprisingly its on YouTube, been up two years

Is that Pauline Hanson ?

Only an Ozy would know what I'm talking about !

• mwokeemwokee Posts: 1,275
    After reading this thread it makes me wonder why they didn't put boobs on Yul Brynner in West World.
  • CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,762
    mwokee said:
    After reading this thread it makes me wonder why they didn't put boobs on Yul Brynner in West World.

Oh, there were plenty of VERY female androids in the original Westworld, but the "in" joke with the casting of Yul Brynner is that he was essentially playing a robot version of his character from The Magnificent Seven. Adding boobs would have kind of undercut that. :)  

• because if you tried to build an analog android it would be massive. and it you needed a vacuum tube you would be sol. no rdio shack.

for the youth in he audience, analog, vacuum tube and radio shack all refer to prehistori 20th century technology.

• mwokee said:

That was the LT on the first Star Trek movie.
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,576
    Cybersox said:
    mwokee said:

Oh, there were plenty of VERY female androids in the original Westworld, but the "in" joke with the casting of Yul Brynner is that he was essentially playing a robot version of his character from The Magnificent Seven. Adding boobs would have kind of undercut that. :)  

...well he did have boobs in a cameo appearance in the Magic Christian.

• RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,582
    edited December 2019

For "shiggles" an old school "defaced" WestWorld type robot (gynoid, fembot, whatever term you prefer).

I achieved the effect via displacement and transparency channels, no alteration to the geometry itself.

Funny how that movie set the "standard" (read: cliche) for a robotic reveal until "The Terminator" came along.  After that, it was either chrome skeletons...or characters bleeding "milk"

Sincerely,

Bill

V4-FemBot-J-1.jpg
    600 x 600 - 26K
    Post edited by Redfern on