The Marvelous Designer Thread

Comments

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

@barbult Beautiful job!

• I do have one question, does Marvelous Designer allow the opportunity to create shoes?

I do have one question, does Marvelous Designer allow the opportunity to create shoes?

MD is really designed around cloth simulation and therefore probably isn't the best tool for making most forms of shoes. The exception is something like a soft ballet shoe where I think that MD would do a good job.

• @barbult Excellent! Great outfit.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,217
    edited November 2019
    PhilW said:

I do have one question, does Marvelous Designer allow the opportunity to create shoes?

MD is really designed around cloth simulation and therefore probably isn't the best tool for making most forms of shoes. The exception is something like a soft ballet shoe where I think that MD would do a good job.

For a baggy type of leather boot, MD could also be useful.  But for rigid shoes, it probably isnt a good idea.

Post edited by lilweep on
  • barbult said:

It took me two days, several YouTube videos, and a lot of frustration to tie the knot on this robe I made a few days ago. Everything that is stretchy and forgiving about MD fabric collisions works against making a tight knot stay in place. Finally, I used a couple tacks to keep it from slipping apart. At first I tried a wider belt, but I couldn't get the fabric pieces to stop breaking through each other. It seemed to work better with the thinner belt. 

I made a tied version and an untied version. Draping was done in MD with an MDD exported from Daz Studio. Shaders were applied in Daz Studio for the texture.

Congrats, barbult, they all loook wonderful.

• Meanwhile, I installed the 30-Day trial, but MD completely choked on the 20 gig Alembic file I tried to import. I think it tried to load the entire animation into memory at once.

Does anyone think I'd have better luck exporting MDD instead of Alembic?

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049

Meanwhile, I installed the 30-Day trial, but MD completely choked on the 20 gig Alembic file I tried to import. I think it tried to load the entire animation into memory at once.

Yes, MDD works fine for me. I only do short animations, though, like 30-60 frames.

• barbult said:

Meanwhile, I installed the 30-Day trial, but MD completely choked on the 20 gig Alembic file I tried to import. I think it tried to load the entire animation into memory at once.

Yes, MDD works fine for me. I only do short animations, though, like 30-60 frames.

Ha ha, that 20 gigs is only 300 frames total. Until Blender gets proper Open SubD support, I have to export at high resolution. I'll sstill give MDD a try, though.

edited November 2019

@DarkEdgeDesign how do I use the G8F and G8M arr and pan files that you included with the tutorial?

Edit:Oops, never mind. I found it in video 2 of the tutorial. That is the problem with unsearchable video content. I can't find things again when I go back to look for them.

Post edited by barbult on

Evgeniya Petrova on artstation must be running a MD sweatshop or something.  She is constantly releasing new stuff.

lilweep said:

Evgeniya Petrova on artstation must be running a MD sweatshop or something.  She is constantly releasing new stuff.

Looks like impressive work and unbelievable low prices.

edited December 2019

I have a long way to go to catch up to the skill of Ms. Petrova! Those things on her site look amazing.

Serene Night was looking for mittens, so I made some for G8M. I don't like the way the thumb texture is oriented. It is not the way the knitting would really go. I suppose that is a UV issue. I rigged them with the transfer utility.

G8M Mittens_PS.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 2M

I think it has something to do with UV direction, whatver that means.  If the thumb was its own material zone, I guess you could just change the direction of the shader texture.  (But within Daz Studio, there's no easy way to change the angle of the shader texture, you would have to do so in a photo editor or something.)

• lilweep said:

I think it has something to do with UV direction, whatver that means.  If the thumb was its own material zone, I guess you could just change the direction of the shader texture.  (But within Daz Studio, there's no easy way to change the angle of the shader texture, you would have to do so in a photo editor or something.)

It's a question of how the polygons are sitting on the plane - if they are separate pieces you could just rotate them on the UV map (can't MD9 do this? I grabbed a copy from Steam last night but need to build my new PC before I can test it at all).

I didn't make the thumb a separate piece. I guess I'll make another pass at this.

lilweep said:

It's a question of how the polygons are sitting on the plane - if they are separate pieces you could just rotate them on the UV map (can't MD9 do this? I grabbed a copy from Steam last night but need to build my new PC before I can test it at all).

I never really considered how the relative angle of the UV islands would affect how the shaders look when applied to them.

I mean, you often see parts of clothing rotated off the main cartesian axes in UVs, so would that mean that a shader applied to them would be angled accordingly? Crazy.  But I guess that makes sense.

lilweep said:
    lilweep said:

I never really considered how the relative angle of the UV islands would affect how the shaders look when applied to them.

I mean, you often see parts of clothing rotated off the main cartesian axes in UVs, so would that mean that a shader applied to them would be angled accordingly? Crazy.  But I guess that makes sense.

Absolutely yes. The UV map determines how 2D textures are applied to the 3D surface, so changing the angle on the UV map will change how the texture is applied.

• After removing the hair from the character and importing just a 7 gig Alembic file, it worked, and I can see the animation pretty much in realtime.

I could sit there and watch it magically fit clothing ALL DAY LONG.

Thanks to you guys for inspiring me to investigate a really cool new tool.

If anyone is looking for pattern references, someone on the Marvelous Designer discord posted quite a lot of reference sources they found.

https://discord.gg/HAh568h

edited December 2019

@lilweep thanks for the Discord link.

I finally got my mittens thumb UV reoriented. 

Lee 8 HD Woo Mittens.jpg
    2000 x 2600 - 3M
    edited December 2019

All my guys have to wear mittens now laugh. Daz Autofollow works great. The mittens even fit Mr. Rubble, which surprised me. Of course, he has to wear stone mittens.

I am no longer an MD trial user. I now have an MD9 license.

Good Guys Mittens SOx2-4 Orange_PC3.jpg
    1538 x 2000 - 811K
    Mr Rubble Stone Mittens.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
  • AbnerKAbnerK Posts: 718

Oh, I wish I'd found this thread when it was active. I absolutely hate the forum at MD. It's just one person telling you that you should read the Manual. :D Nice. :) It's just nice to talk to another human being going through the same things. @barbult    did you sort out your material zones? That happened to me in MD8 too. I'm not sure what I'd clicked for it to do that but it wasn't a big deal for me. It's stopped since I upgraded to MD9 though. If you haven't sorted it out I can screenshot my settings. 

@marble  did you manage to sort out your UV's? I try to keep the patterns fairly well organised in the pattern window then switch to the UV window, right click and use MD's 'Set UV from pattern align' feature. Then click right click in the UV editor and choose 'fit UV to unified' You can set the UV size to 4096 or something if it's a big pattern or just 1024 if something small, whatever you want. Like Barbuilt said I rarely use the Map from MD but I have done sometimes you want to pattern on it, or you want to use the LIE feature to add some detail then you really need that UV map so you know where you're adding the details. And obviously, you have to set the tiling to 1. I created an action in PS to tile the basic underlying materials maps so I can then add the details, like dirt etc on top use the UV from MD as a mask or guide. 

edited December 2019
    marble said:
    barbult said:
    marble said:
    barbult said:
    marble said:

I am applying shaders. I created the UV maps in Marvelous Designer. In the upper right corner there is a drop down menu to switch between Simulation, Animation, and UV editor, (among others that I have no clue about yet).

So, if I understand you correctly, you created the UV maps but didn't need them because you applied shaders instead? Have you tried using the fabrics and textures that come with MD? If so, to they im

I haven't tried any textures that come with MD. Don't shaders need a UV to tile the patterns?

I am clueless when it comes to UV Maps and texturing. Terms like UDIM patches are completely lost on me. I have always assumed that shaders don't need UV maps and they are applied to material zones but I might be talking nonsense. 

Techincally Shaders don't need UV's but, Materials do. That's, I'm told by Esher, is the differene, however most people don't make that distinction. If you ever need to add some details then you'll need the UV. Setting up the UV is really easy I've otulined what I do above. 

Post edited by AbnerK on
    edited December 2019
    barbult said:

I didn't make the thumb a separate piece. I guess I'll make another pass at this.

I didn't notice that there were 5 pages on this thread. :D 

:D They look great. I had lots of fun making socks. I ended up making the rectangular then using the Steam to avoid ugly converging seams and to make them more realistic. I never really solved the toe end problem very well though. Your mittens look great! I made gloves once. Wow, what a pain they are when it comes to changing a pose. I use MD's morph thing a lot for poses but I wouldn't with gloves. Wow. I still use the transfer utility but Daz doesn't make a great job of things that have folds. 

Post edited by AbnerK on
    marble said:
    barbult said:
    marble said:
    barbult said:
    marble said:

I am applying shaders. I created the UV maps in Marvelous Designer. In the upper right corner there is a drop down menu to switch between Simulation, Animation, and UV editor, (among others that I have no clue about yet).

So, if I understand you correctly, you created the UV maps but didn't need them because you applied shaders instead? Have you tried using the fabrics and textures that come with MD? If so, to they im

I haven't tried any textures that come with MD. Don't shaders need a UV to tile the patterns?

I am clueless when it comes to UV Maps and texturing. Terms like UDIM patches are completely lost on me. I have always assumed that shaders don't need UV maps and they are applied to material zones but I might be talking nonsense. 

Techincally Shaders don't need UV's but, Materials do. That's, I'm told by Esher, is the differene, however most people don't make that distinction. If you ever need to add some details then you'll need the UV. Setting up the UV is really easy I've otulined what I do above. 

That's not right - a Shader is a definition for a single surface. If that definition uses texture maps of any kind, then you will need a UV map to tell the program how to translate from 2D coordinates (on the texture map) to 3D coordinates (on the model).  Generally speaking, Shaders are done so that they are generic and can be applied to lots of different surfaces on models, so for example you might have a cotton Shader which can be applied to various pieces of an item of clothing. You need to select each surface before you apply a Shader.

A Material is a collection of Shaders for a specific model (or item of clothing). So a shirt model might have separate surfaces defined for body, sleeeves, collar and cuffs. A Material would save all of these at once and allow you to reload them as a single click.  But you can't then use that for a different item of clothing as the surfaces would likely be set up differently.

PhilW said:
    marble said:
    barbult said:
    marble said:
    barbult said:
    marble said:

That's not right - a Shader is a definition for a single surface. If that definition uses texture maps of any kind, then you will need a UV map to tell the program how to translate from 2D coordinates (on the texture map) to 3D coordinates (on the model).  Generally speaking, Shaders are done so that they are generic and can be applied to lots of different surfaces on models, so for example you might have a cotton Shader which can be applied to various pieces of an item of clothing. You need to select each surface before you apply a Shader.

A Material is a collection of Shaders for a specific model (or item of clothing). So a shirt model might have separate surfaces defined for body, sleeeves, collar and cuffs. A Material would save all of these at once and allow you to reload them as a single click.  But you can't then use that for a different item of clothing as the surfaces would likely be set up differently.

Oh, tell Esher. I'm just quoting. 

marble said:
    lilweep said:

I thought usually its 75% discount if you upgrade from the previous version (MD version 8) and 60% discount when upgrading from Version 6 or 7. 

i would think - and obviously this is a subjective opinion - even with the discount, the upgrades are not really worth it if you already have a recent version of MD.

Yeah, that is confusing. The full price has a discount but when I login, the upgrade price is the same as before the sale (i.e. 75% discount), even though there is a note beneath the prices saying:

"NOTE

For those people with old versions are now eligible for the upgrade to the latest version at discounted price"

I got 75% off on the Cyber Monday! Yeah! 

barbult said:

I've only had success with MDD. I'm on a mac. I find the Daz bit tricky though. I don't bother most of the time. It's only those poses that won't work with the Morphing that I would consider it. 

• PhilW said:
    marble said:
    barbult said:
    marble said:
    barbult said:
    marble said:

It is possible to have a shader that doesn't need UVs, there are a few examples for 3delight and I think ther are one or two for Iray - but I've never felt brave enough to do much in Shader Mixer for Iray.