Daz Install Manager (DIM) 1.2.0.52, Now Available!

2»

Comments

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,484
    kyoto kid said:

..again never had an issue with this (even during the time I was downloading thousands of items when I installed the new drive after the crash I had) until the last couple months roughly around when the update before the most recent one was issued.

I actually had similar issue and saved all the downloaded files to a new hard drive, renamed every foler to xxxxwhaterver it use to be, manually intalled the versions I wanted for Daz Studio and Beta and installewd a really old dim and pointed it to my content. I have legitamate content but feel like a hacker trying to make things work which is pitiful considering all I want to do is make legitimate things work. Daz needs to implement a rollback program for Daz and Dim to accomodate users who have issues with updates. I feel like we are in the dark ages, afraid to update because unless we save and save and save evry bloody version and have the sense to reinstall them, we are doomed.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514

..thank you. 

I would totally be in favour of being able to roll back to about three versions ago as I never had the grief I've been currently experiencing with the DIM's failure to sign in, updates deleting all my settings/preferences, and the frequent download errors.  I know it's not on my or my ISP's end as I've test downloaded product zip files and they came through just fine. I know I could just manually download the .zips put them in the downloads folder and use the DIM offline to install them but it is more time consuming, and I would not be able to get any product or programme betas/updates.

• I'm finding the use of the DIM not working very well or maybe I am doing something wrong. I haven't used DS in a couple years, maybe I didn't install something correctly.

I installet the latest Daz Install Manager
    then Daz Studio 4.12 (Win 64-bit)
    then Default Resources for Daz Studio 4.9+

then Gen 8 Starter essentials.

Then I ran DS and I installed some more older stuff from within Daz Studio. But I have limited space on this laptop, so I decided I want to uninstall some of that stuff and just keep the actual stuff I'm using installed. But now I have a problem.

When I open the DIM, it has no record of the stuff I installed from within Daz Studio. So I have no way to uninstall it. I guess I just have to delete everything and start over from scratch? I don't remember installating and uninstalling stuff being so difficult before.

How do I uninstall stuff that has been installed using Daz Studio? Did I make a mistake by installing some stuff using DIM and some stuff using DS? 

I can't seem to find any best practices on how to use it. I would really like to be able to install using the smart content method to save space, but if I can't uninstall once I have installed then it defeats the whole purpose. 

• Items installed through Connect can be uninstalled by right-click on the product (in the Products tab of Smart Content or in the list in the Content Library) and selecting Uninstall. Connect and DIM are separate and don't install to the same place or in the same way (Connect uses the /data/cloud folder, and has a separate folder for each product - the Daz Connect list in Daz Studio Formats or Poser Formats is a virtual folder, a composite of the actual install folders).

• Items installed through Connect can be uninstalled by right-click on the product (in the Products tab of Smart Content or in the list in the Content Library) and selecting Uninstall. Connect and DIM are separate and don't install to the same place or in the same way (Connect uses the /data/cloud folder, and has a separate folder for each product - the Daz Connect list in Daz Studio Formats or Poser Formats is a virtual folder, a composite of the actual install folders).

ah ok, that explains it. I see it starts to create a real mess if installing from both methods. All my assets are disorganized now and difficult to navigate. I think I'm going to have to uninstall all the connect stuff and reinstall it the old way as I just can't get used to it.

If you installed from Connect, and then uninstalled it, does it leave anything behind on the laptop? (the way DIM potentially can if you don't check delete after install)

I just want to make sure I reclaim all space on the drive when uninstalling.

...well, even direct downloads from the product page are failing now (they were working fine only a couple days ago). I have experienced zero difficulties downloading .zips/files/images/PDFs from other sites, just from here. 

I never used to have an issue with downloading from the product page or Install manager until recently. It isn't Chrome either as I've been using that for over a year now with all the extensions I currently have.

• TGSNT said:

Items installed through Connect can be uninstalled by right-click on the product (in the Products tab of Smart Content or in the list in the Content Library) and selecting Uninstall. Connect and DIM are separate and don't install to the same place or in the same way (Connect uses the /data/cloud folder, and has a separate folder for each product - the Daz Connect list in Daz Studio Formats or Poser Formats is a virtual folder, a composite of the actual install folders).

ah ok, that explains it. I see it starts to create a real mess if installing from both methods. All my assets are disorganized now and difficult to navigate. I think I'm going to have to uninstall all the connect stuff and reinstall it the old way as I just can't get used to it.

If you installed from Connect, and then uninstalled it, does it leave anything behind on the laptop? (the way DIM potentially can if you don't check delete after install)

I just want to make sure I reclaim all space on the drive when uninstalling.

If you install and uninstall via Connect everything will go - it places the files from each product in their own folder (/data/cloud/1_SKU/) and removes that on uninstall. Avoiding potential overlaps/conflicts is one of its benefits, though it's also the reason that ExP figures (such as Victoria 4) can't use Connect

• kyoto kid said:

...well, even direct downloads from the product page are failing now (they were working fine only a couple days ago). I have experienced zero difficulties downloading .zips/files/images/PDFs from other sites, just from here. 

I never used to have an issue with downloading from the product page or Install manager until recently. It isn't Chrome either as I've been using that for over a year now with all the extensions I currently have.

Well, today everything seems busy with the end of PC sale so that may well explain a curent issue with downloading.

edited November 2019

...yeah, but having to do upwards of a dozen restarts just for one file?  Sounds like more server horsepower is in order.  Even the forums are lagging.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • I've switched back to DIM install only and things are working much smoother now, but one thing is missing. I can't find Victoria 6. She doesn't show up in DIM at all. I've tried searching by SKU even. She still shows as purchased in my product library but is no where to be seen in DIM. I wonder what else is missing from DIM now.

• Nevermind last post. I figured it out, in DIM Victoria 6 only has the "connect available" tag. They left off the tag: "Daz Studio 4.5+", so she wasn't showing up because I had filtered out all "connect available" products. I guess I can't use the tags in DIM for filtering as it puts too much trust in updated tags. 

edited December 2019

...well for no apparent reason this time, when I tired to open up the Install Manager tonight to download and install my latest purchases, the following occurred:

Network Error during authentication

Unable to login customer during authentication.

I checked the DIM components and are where they are supposed to be.(no .json file on the desktop and the .ini file is in the proper folder).

It worked just fine the other day. Performed no system cleanup since I last used it.

In viewing the Windows Task manager/Processes tab , there are multiple processes for DAZ3DDIM.exe showing, all of which indicate the same amount of memory in use. When I right click to end the process, a message that reads "This operation cannot be completed" pops up

Post edited by kyoto kid on