►►► Carrara Information Manual ◄◄◄

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,210
    edited July 2021

Sorry I've been away for a while. I'll be back soon ...and with much to say, I'm sure.
    I will be trying to update a lot of information as well as to write some new articles regarding helping new Carrara users find their materials, getting started, and making the art they came to make. I am also in the process of writing some articles for Carrara Cafe and hope to see you all over there as well.

If you have a need for any specific information you'd like for me to discuss, please... post a reply in here ;)

R5_Stormwind01a.png
    362 x 621 - 231K
    R5_CoolFever01a.png
    412 x 730 - 257K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • his xhis x Posts: 866
    edited December 1969

This Carrara Information Manual is quite a piece of work, Dartanbeck. Have you considered formalizing it somewhat? It might make it more accessible.

edited December 2015

Rottenham said:

This Carrara Information Manual is quite a piece of work, Dartanbeck. Have you considered formalizing it somewhat? It might make it more accessible.

As a matter of fact, I think of that every time I use it - which is quite often! It took a lot of time to get it to where it is now, which has gone through many changes - but it seems to even take longer to edit - but, yes. I will be working on it again fairly soon. The most often adjustments that I make are updating the list in the Forum Help Links post, and lately trying to get stuff updated from the beta version of 8.5 to the new release. We are now hitting that time of year when I can start getting busy on this again. Although I reserve the right to do it how I feel that I like it to be, I certainly welcome (and appreciate) any advice you (or anybody else) have on this subject. Of course, the long the strategy might take, the less likely it will be that I implement it - but, then again, you never know... I do want this to end up looking and working very smoothly - hence the in-thread links to other places within the thread to assist in navigation.

Your input is most welcome on this ;)

Also, I'm glad you like it. I use it constantly to help save me from having to type the same things over again. Also whenever I need to look up plugin information, or get links to their sites, I enjoy using the Carrara Plugins FAQ & Information - By Jay_NOLA post. It all started off as a thought towards making a consolidated Index for Cripeman’s Carrara Video Tutorials, so I asked his permission to do so. As I began putting it together, but before submitting the new post, I realized that I really wanted to do a lot more with this single thread. Turn it into an encyclopedia of Carrara topics using both links and writings of my own thoughts. Of course, like the plugins FAQ by JAY_NOLA, I welcome others to write in here, too. If it is relevant to my goal for this thread, I'll link it up to the main table of contents.

Sometimes it gets to a point where I have a lot of things to add. This is how it ends up getting less organized and more haphazard looking - because I really just drop in the links and thoughts and go - hoping to come back and organize it later. Some of the clean up process has been taking place, but not as much as I'd like. Soon, perhaps. :)

edited December 1969

Eventually I'd like to get it into a good order for a manual sort of thing.

• his xhis x Posts: 866
    edited December 1969

IMO, if you don't get a RoboHelp author to work under your guidance reformatting the CIM, this valuable content will remain in journal form, and be missed by many of the people who would benefit from it.

edited December 1969

You may be right on that. That's where the links are used to help organize everything. You'll see. Pretty soon I'll do a massive fix to it. You'll be amazed at what I can get done on this in just a few days. ;)

• kleinefotomankleinefotoman Posts: 81
    edited December 1969

I have a question about the native content and I hope one of you is able to answer it. The guide on https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/entries/21966849-How-to-Install-Carrara-8-5-Pro-with-Install-Manager seems to contradict itself about the 8.5 Native content.
    In the middle of the guide it is said to instal "Carrara 8 Native Content" and "Carrara 8.5 Pro Native Content" if you have the pro version, and to install the "Carrara 8 Native Content" and "Carrara 8.5 Native Content" if you have the standard version.
    on the end of page the writers says

11. To restate, you will need to install Native Content for Carrara 8.5:

Carrara 8.5 Pro

Carrara 8 Native Content
    Carrara 8.5 Pro Native Content
    Carrara 8.5 (Standard) Content

Carrara 8.5 (Standard)

Carrara 8 Native Content
    Carrara 8.5 (Standard) Content

This seems a little bit strange to me. It doesn't seem really logical to have to install the "Carrara 8.5 (Standard) Native Content" When you already need to install the "...Pro Native Content".
    I hope that one of you has enough in dept information about it.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

With the Pro version you get more extras. The 8.5 Pro Native content and the 8.5 standard content are different bundles of Genesis related stuff. I don't have c8.5 yet, but from things I have read, I believe the c8.5 Standard content includes the Genesis figure ad some basic stuff to get you going with it. The C8.5 Pro bundle is probably different high end stuff to go with the Genesis figure- hence the reason you need the C8.5 Standard bundle.

The C8 Native content is all the stuff needed for the scene wizards, leaves, models, textures, etc.

edited December 1969

Yup.
    The 8.5 Native content is simply extra goodies for those whom have purchased Carrara 8.5 and the Carrara 8 Native content is all of the stuff that comes with Carrara to make up the complete browser full of cool stuff, examples, and the stuff that makes the Wizard work.

Pro 8.5 comes with another elite shader set for M5 and another for V5, as well as all the extra goodies.

• Jay_NOLAJay_NOLA Posts: 1,145
    edited December 1969

The two 8.5 content items are just Carrara specific shaders:

8.5 Content is the Carrara shaders for M5 & V5
    8.5 Pro Content is the Benjamin for M5 Carrara shaders.

You definitely need to in stall the Carrara 8 Native Content.as that has sample scenes, props, etc.

The older C8 had some separate installers for V4 & M4 Carrara shaders that aren't in 8.5 I had filed a support ticket to get them put into 8.5 & 8.5 Pro or to make them available in the store for purchase but support never replied to the ticket.

edited December 1969

Jay_NOLA said:
    The two 8.5 content items are just Carrara specific shaders:

8.5 Content is the Carrara shaders for M5 & V5
    8.5 Pro Content is the Benjamin for M5 Carrara shaders.

You definitely need to in stall the Carrara 8 Native Content.as that has sample scenes, props, etc.

The older C8 had some separate installers for V4 & M4 Carrara shaders that aren't in 8.5 I had filed a support ticket to get them put into 8.5 & 8.5 Pro or to make them available in the store for purchase but support never replied to the ticket.

Wow! That sucks about the V4 and M4 stuff! I will have to be careful when pointing people to the M4 and V4 skin textures, if they've never owned a previous copy of Carrara Pro.

edited December 1969

Not really. I think that we, who have bought it back then, and got our yummy free stuff, got rewarded for doing so. That doesn't mean that DAZ needs to honor that for every sale until the end of time. It really is great getting free stuff - and I'm sure that 9 will offer another great pile of sweet stuff to play with.
    When I got Carrara 8 Pro, it didn't come with all of the free stuff that I got from Carrara 7 Pro - but it did include some new stuff that didn't come with 7. The same with 6 Pro.It came with stuff that wasn't included in 7, as far as extra stuff to download. we still do get a lot of cool stuff, though.

• IamArtistXIamArtistX Posts: 119
    edited December 1969

ah the lesser spotted Carrara manual :lol:

• DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,945
    edited January 2014

Dart,
    I discover only now this thread, it is a true gold mine for Carrara' ists and others.
    It is sure, I put this link in my favorites !
    Thank you !

Post edited by DUDU on
    edited December 1969

Thanks, both of you.
    It may be a lot of time and effort, but it's definitely of the most enjoyable kind - for me, anyways! ;)

• Sci Fi FunkSci Fi Funk Posts: 1,197
    edited December 1969

Wow man. This is the thread to end all threads.

Thanks for all the effort, I learned something about manipulating keyframes in the timeline (alt and ctrl keys).

edited December 2015

Glad it has been some help.
    It's been far too long since I've added new material, so I hope to get busy on that soon.
    LOL... I always say that!

Quick Links Menu
    Just a little tool I've decided to add to help navigate this, and other threads

► Back to Table of Contents

Walkthrough is currently under heavy construction, please bear with me

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited February 2014

...running into a small issue. 8.5 pro sees my Daz3D library fine, however when I load Genesis or a Gen5 character, the scale of the figure is incredibly tiny. and impossible to work with.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...running into a small issue. 8.5 pro sees my Daz3D library fine, however when I load Genesis or a Gen5 character, the scale of the figure is incredibly tiny. and impossible to work with.

Most likely you've started a new scene at the large scale where the units of measure are in hundreds and thousands of feet and miles. Try starting with a medium scale scene. It is still easy to get the magnitude of a mountain range into a medium scene, but the working grid, camera and light avatars and camera movement are more DAZ/Poser scaled.

That being said, if your figure is six feet tall in a medium scene, it will still be six feet tall in a large scale scene, it will just look tiny in relation to the working grid and the lights and cameras. Want to feel like you have a giant? start a small scale scene and lod in you six foot figure and it will look like a giant in the working grid.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited December 1969

...that did it, thanks.

Also getting a lot of "not responding" messages when deleting items and then trying to click on menus which lock everything up.

I'm running 8.5 Pro 64 bit on a, i7/ Win7 64 system with 12 G memory. I shouldn't be experiencing these hangups.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...that did it, thanks.

Also getting a lot of "not responding" messages when deleting items and then trying to click on menus which lock everything up.

I'm running 8.5 Pro 64 bit on a, i7/ Win7 64 system with 12 G memory. I shouldn't be experiencing these hangups.

Can't hep with that I'm afraid. I'm on a Mac with C7.2 Pro.

• Lobo3433Lobo3433 Posts: 30
    edited December 1969

Jay_NOLA said:

Mark DesMarais

Made the Shoestring Shaders that were sold in the DAZ Store and are sold on the Shoestring Graphics Website.

The Shoestring Graphics website has several tutorials and downloads links for the newest version.

The Shoestring Graphics Website is at:

ShoestringGraphics

Q:I purchased these from the DAZ store will my serial for them work with the newest version I download from the ShoeSting Graphics Website?

A:: Yes.

Q: Does a Carrarra 8 version exist for them? The ones I purchased from the DAZ Store didn't have a Carrara 8 version included of them.

A: Yes, an alpha version of them is out that works in Carrara 8. The alpha Carrara 8 version can be download at no cost from the ShoeString Graphics Website. They use the same serial key (password) as the previous versions.

Know this portion of the post is a bit old but reinstalling Carrara 8 to give it another chance and I purchased the Shoestring Shaders here on DAZ but when I got them I did not get a serial number or password and I did look back under my list of serial numbers on my account and nothing. I got the alpha version from Shoestring Graphics website and it does ask me for a password but have none to supply any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance

edited December 1969

I think you might need to Submit a Help Request on that one. Hmmm... it might actually be in your account, though. I recall thinking that I didn't have on e once, but I actually did - I had to show more of the list, when at first I didn't know that the list went on. Try looking again (your account S/N) and seeing if there's a second page to what you have.
    Otherwise I'm sure that Customer Service can get you up and running.

• MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited December 1969

Know this portion of the post is a bit old but reinstalling Carrara 8 to give it another chance and I purchased the Shoestring Shaders here on DAZ but when I got them I did not get a serial number or password and I did look back under my list of serial numbers on my account and nothing. I got the alpha version from Shoestring Graphics website and it does ask me for a password but have none to supply any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Look in your readme file for shoestring in your carrara directory (when you installed the shader). its in there.

• Lobo3433Lobo3433 Posts: 30
    edited December 1969

-_Milo_- said:

Thank you in advance

Look in your readme file for shoestring in your carrara directory (when you installed the shader). its in there.

Thank you seems it was in a another zip file that when i purchased had not downloaded thank you for your help

• Erik HeyninckErik Heyninck Posts: 158
    edited December 1969

Thanks for all your great work here man.
    You did make me spend more money : I bought the advanced course for C8, thinking that if the manual of 7 is good enough, everything in this course will still work, and if there are some changes, I'll tackle them on the way.

Although I will have to reinstall my old Cinema4D ( version 7 or 8, can't remember, I had to stop due to a rather serious burn-out) to export all my .c4D files as .obj, Carrara is my choice. The renderer is fast and quite capable. There may be limits, but these can also be tackled when met.

Let's hope Daz keeps on developing their products!
    And that your enthusiasm keeps on motivating you to shere all this wonder here!

edited December 1969

Thanks for the compliments, Erik! The pleasure is all mine!
    I have to admit that I'm not sorry that I convinced you to buy that course, as I think that you'll get a lot more than what you've paid back out of it.

TIP: Go to the files that the course came in and copy the working files into your browser where they're handy. As you work on more and more ways to figure stuff out, you'll remember an episode from that training, and finding the working files is pure gold! The working files content, alone, is worth the price. But Phil's lessons are yours to keep. I go back and watch them often.

I've never tried C4D. Once I've found Carrara Pro, the search for animation modeling software ended for me ;)
    I stumbled upon Project Dogwaffle Pro: Howler, here in the DAZ store, and am finding it to be the perfect companion to Carrara, for getting even more from this render engine. Now the idea of limits seems almost irrelevant and nonexistent to me!

Hey... thanks again, man... it's a lot of fun doing this stuff.

edited December 2015

Did a quite a bit of updating on the Forum Help Links
    Since the list is intended to grow, I'll try and come back soon and try to further organize them so that specific issues are easier to find, but it's still a LOT easier than exhausting one's self flipping one page at a time ;)

Also, there was already a spot that I made for Genesis and DIM related threads, so I moved a bunch of those into that index, and linked the two together. There's still a lot more to do, a lot more links to add.

As always, if you have any threads that you know of that are not in there yet, that you feel should be included, let me know.

VanCrashHS2.gif
    400 x 400 - 9M
  • MiloMilo Posts: 511
    edited December 1969

Sweeeet animated GIF

edited April 2014

-_Milo_- said:
    Sweeeet animated GIF
    Thank you :)
    DR_BackHug1h_0000.gif