►►► Carrara Information Manual ◄◄◄

14567810»

Comments

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

I only noticed that because of the problems the server is having... it forgot to take me to the last page. Shortly after that DAZ3D.com was not even found. :(

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 13,976
    wgdjohn said:

I only noticed that because of the problems the server is having... it forgot to take me to the last page. Shortly after that DAZ3D.com was not even found. :(

Yup. They're working very hard to get this fixed. They'll get it ;)

edited December 2016

I good way to make cheat sheets might be to copy/paste stuff from the ever-so-awesome manual.

I've printed out the entire thing two-sided and bound the giant tome.

It still brings me great pleasure to peruse through this weighty piece of work!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 28,311

could use a few cheatsheets to run through the laminator and tape to my monitors

cribsheet smiley list of tweeners and what they do, modifiers list with short desc,
    list of every tick box under motion tablet and what they do, sans the TBD  lol

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 11,429

So if i understand correctly the my objects section is a lot like the custome categories in Studio. Its how you organize your content right?  I got my base categories set up there but haven't added any content yet.  I don't even know what all I have as far as Carrara content.  Question on content though, if I have something in my dazstudio content that shows up on the left and it doesn't have a thumbnail that shows up in the preview does that mean its just not visible to carrara and won't work?

So if i understand correctly the my objects section is a lot like the custome categories in Studio. Its how you organize your content right?  

Yes. Except while we can use "Save As" and navigate there, we can also just click the folder in the browser and drag items from the instances tray (right side list of scene objects) directly into the browser.

I got my base categories set up there but haven't added any content yet.  I don't even know what all I have as far as Carrara content.  

Instead, these new categories are where we'd store things after we fix them to work in Carrara as well - not just "Carrara Content"

For example, We've brought in Genesis and made him into a fine, Carrara optimized Michael 5 character - got him all set up for a nice render and now we want to save him so we can just drag him into any other scene we'd like to see him in.

Go to the My Objects folders we've made. I have one called "People" and another that seems redundant: "Heroes"

Well this guy is going to be a new Hero. So I'll go into my Heores folder and make a new Folder called: Big George, because that's what I've decided to name him. I'll open that folder and make a new one called: "Clothes and Props"

Now we can drag the character, himself, into his own folder

• click on the folder in the browser
    • if it's a new folder that doesn't show, use the File/Folder menu (top right of the browser) and "Update Folder"
    • Drag the character directly into the empty space in the browser 
    • Change the name if needed

=============================================================================

When I do this (create a new Hero file), I optimized the figure in shape and shaders, pick out a good costume and hair and optimize all of that - remembering to Edit > Remove Unused Masters > Consolidate Duplicate Shaders - and give the character three lights - one from behind and two from the front, one crossing from each side - and teo cameras: One close up on the face, one showing from the thighs up

Now I organize all of that stuff into a nice order and Group (Ctrl + G) it all together and name the group the name of the Character - Like Big George, in this example.

Inside this group, I select all of the clothing and Group that - and call that group: Clothing

I next set all of the lights to Only affect: and then choose the new group: "Big George" for example, in the drop down so that when I drag this character into a scene, he has his own lighting that only affects him - in addition to being lit by the scene lighting.

Anyways, I'm writing a more formal article on this whoile thing with illustration to help.

So by the time I'm done, I have this whole Character saved into his main folder.

When I make a new costume for him, I'll drag the "Clothing" group into the main character's "Clothing" folder in the browser, so I can store complete outfits in one small file. 

This really gets beneficial when making costumes for groups of people, like background people, teams of helpful friendlies and swarms of minions whom follow our bad guy!

Question on content though, if I have something in my dazstudio content that shows up on the left and it doesn't have a thumbnail that shows up in the preview does that mean its just not visible to carrara and won't work?

Not sure. When in doubt, open a new empty medium scene and drag it into the instances tray from the browser - see if it works

edited January 2017
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 11,429

So if i understand correctly the my objects section is a lot like the custome categories in Studio. Its how you organize your content right?  

Yes. Except while we can use "Save As" and navigate there, we can also just click the folder in the browser and drag items from the instances tray (right side list of scene objects) directly into the browser.

I got my base categories set up there but haven't added any content yet.  I don't even know what all I have as far as Carrara content.  

Instead, these new categories are where we'd store things after we fix them to work in Carrara as well - not just "Carrara Content"

For example, We've brought in Genesis and made him into a fine, Carrara optimized Michael 5 character - got him all set up for a nice render and now we want to save him so we can just drag him into any other scene we'd like to see him in.

Go to the My Objects folders we've made. I have one called "People" and another that seems redundant: "Heroes"

Well this guy is going to be a new Hero. So I'll go into my Heores folder and make a new Folder called: Big George, because that's what I've decided to name him. I'll open that folder and make a new one called: "Clothes and Props"

Now we can drag the character, himself, into his own folder

• click on the folder in the browser
    • if it's a new folder that doesn't show, use the File/Folder menu (top right of the browser) and "Update Folder"
    • Drag the character directly into the empty space in the browser 
    • Change the name if needed

=============================================================================

When I do this (create a new Hero file), I optimized the figure in shape and shaders, pick out a good costume and hair and optimize all of that - remembering to Edit > Remove Unused Masters > Consolidate Duplicate Shaders - and give the character three lights - one from behind and two from the front, one crossing from each side - and teo cameras: One close up on the face, one showing from the thighs up

Now I organize all of that stuff into a nice order and Group (Ctrl + G) it all together and name the group the name of the Character - Like Big George, in this example.

Inside this group, I select all of the clothing and Group that - and call that group: Clothing

I next set all of the lights to Only affect: and then choose the new group: "Big George" for example, in the drop down so that when I drag this character into a scene, he has his own lighting that only affects him - in addition to being lit by the scene lighting.

Anyways, I'm writing a more formal article on this whoile thing with illustration to help.

So by the time I'm done, I have this whole Character saved into his main folder.

When I make a new costume for him, I'll drag the "Clothing" group into the main character's "Clothing" folder in the browser, so I can store complete outfits in one small file. 

This really gets beneficial when making costumes for groups of people, like background people, teams of helpful friendlies and swarms of minions whom follow our bad guy!

Question on content though, if I have something in my dazstudio content that shows up on the left and it doesn't have a thumbnail that shows up in the preview does that mean its just not visible to carrara and won't work?

Not sure. When in doubt, open a new empty medium scene and drag it into the instances tray from the browser - see if it works

I'm going to do a practice character following this.  Sound like its an invaluable tool!

• That Other PersonaThat Other Persona Posts: 381
    edited January 2017

Argh.

Have had Carrara running well on my machine for years.

Trying to set up a new machine and well, no smart content.  I'm on a Mac.

Any link to info on getting content running?  I know there is a thread but I can't fnd it.

Downloaded DIM and ran it like normal.  Installed Carrara 64bit, then downloaded content.  Lft the insall location at default.  

Presets and such show in the browser, but no smart content at all.

Post edited by That Other Persona on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,228

I found I had to go into DS and rebuild the content database. For some reason Carrara didn't see the initial install. Also, do make sure you have 8.5.1 build 19, since earlier versions don't use the current data engine.

• Uninstalled everything and started over, but this time only downloaded a couple of purchased items to save time.  Still no joy.

Ran DS and updated the DB.  Stuff shows up in Carrara in the Content tab and loads fine, but nothing shows in the Smart Content tab.  My other computer has stuff under Smart Content and is easy to browse.  

When I first ran Carrara, I got an error about Daz Content Management not running.  After updating the DB that message has gone away, but still nothing but an alphabetical list under Smart Content, with no files under them.  

Frustrating.

• Success.  Even had a nice mail exchange with Daz.

As it was a new computer still in the initial stages of set-up, I just re-installed MacOS and started from scratch.

Install DIM.  Install Daz3D.  Install Postgre CMS.  Open Daz and sign in.  Install Carrara.  Installed Carrara content.  Installed a test purchase or two.  Everything looks great.

Nice to be up and running on the new machine (actually a lesser model than my "old" one, which will now be used for rendering).  Will go through this process later this year once they update the Mac mini. . .

Success.  Even had a nice mail exchange with Daz.

As it was a new computer still in the initial stages of set-up, I just re-installed MacOS and started from scratch.

Install DIM.  Install Daz3D.  Install Postgre CMS.  Open Daz and sign in.  Install Carrara.  Installed Carrara content.  Installed a test purchase or two.  Everything looks great.

Nice to be up and running on the new machine (actually a lesser model than my "old" one, which will now be used for rendering).  Will go through this process later this year once they update the Mac mini. . .

Whew! Sweet!!!

edited January 2017

Awesome!

• I forgot one step!

Upon the initial launch of Carrara, it asked if I wanted to auto-detect runtimes.  As I hadn't installed anything yet, I clicked no.  After installing tons of stuff, I would get a window seeking a link to a file (never specified) whenever I tried to load anything.  Under the Content tab, right side button (black), click auto-detect runtimes.  Solved.

The trick seems to be in the ordering.  I must have inadvertantly done something wrong (quite common for me, actually) and things got messed up.  The installation today was almost as smooth as silk.  Now I need a shader . . . 

Hi Dartanbeck.  

Sometimes I feel like I am losing my mind; two steps forward, five or six backwards.  

edited February 2017

It gets easier and better with practice ;)

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 1,041

Updated CarraraCafe frontpage feature to show a link to the first page of this, thanks Dart:

http://carraracafe.com/

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 1,041

Updated CarraraCafe frontpage feature to show a link to the first page of this, thanks Dart:

http://carraracafe.com/

and the tutorials front page http://carraracafe.com/tutorials-2/

edited October 2017

Thank you, 3drendero, for being here for us. Your hard work does not go unnoticed!

• jan_8a6b444a69jan_8a6b444a69 Posts: 43
    edited October 2017

Hello all together,

today i bought Carrara 8.5 Pro edition, because i hope that it can help me in my actual project. I have a foto, and i want to make a 3d reproduction which is as similar as possible.
    Until now i work with daz studio, but it has its borders. And in addition of that, it is not easy to remember "that" special slider you need at the moment when it is important. And which both of the 200 you need together when you want "that" special effect. Everyone who ever worked with DS knows what i mean.

I hope this program will help me, and i hope there is any possibility to import the work i made so far.

Greets from Germany
    Jan

Post edited by jan_8a6b444a69 on

Awesome! Welcome aboard! yes

edited November 2017

Food for thought

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634

Hello all together,

today i bought Carrara 8.5 Pro edition, because i hope that it can help me in my actual project. I have a foto, and i want to make a 3d reproduction which is as similar as possible.
    Until now i work with daz studio, but it has its borders. And in addition of that, it is not easy to remember "that" special slider you need at the moment when it is important. And which both of the 200 you need together when you want "that" special effect. Everyone who ever worked with DS knows what i mean.

I hope this program will help me, and i hope there is any possibility to import the work i made so far.

Greets from Germany
    Jan

I save characters with clothing, hair, posed etc. as a scene subset and load it into Carrara via Content/"where I save subsets".  First things I do is to Consolidate shaders/textures and then save it... drag to my objects and save as a Carrara scene file.

Carrara version 1

This thread is intended to supplement and enhance the Carrara User's Manual. Carrara 8 ships with a Carrara 7 manual. The links below will open the latest versions:

New !!! Online Carrara Documentation Wiki

Carrara 7 User Guide Revision G - 11 December 2008

Carrara 8 Basic User Guide beta 0.2 - 17 June 2010 Great resources for learning the vast features and abilities that you have with this software. Although many things about Carrara are easy to learn at their very basic level, right from the interface, it helps to explore deeper by seeing what the manuals have to say. Very well written, you could be amazed at what you've been missing out on all these years!

Carrara Keyboard Shortcuts Reference
    Ever want to see all of the shortcuts to Carrara tools in one, organized document? Well here you go!

Carrara version 2

► 320+ TUTORIALS at CARRARA CAFE

► Carrara 3D Expo Magazines

Carrara version 3

► Firelight3D's History of Carrara

► Download pdf Instruction Manuals for my products - Watch promo videos too

Carrara version 4

Table of Contents

Note: If you're looking for links that used to be here, at the top, look toward the bottom of the post

► Carrara 8.5 Installation Guide

► Learning CARRARA and need some help?

► First Steps - Setting up a sample scene in Carrara with plant, terrain, sky and hair
    Diomede's wonderful "Starter Thread" for those new to Carrara! "Where do we go now, what do we do next?"  Find answers here!

► Building Carrara Terrains Intro

► Really Getting Started in Carrara

Carrara 5 Pro► Forum Help Links

► Genesis - Carrara 8.5 - DIM Support Thread Links
    Got questions about Genesis use in Carrara, DIM use for installing?
    This page lists links to threads that have answered many questions to common problems

► Carrara 8 Introduction

► History of Carrara by Ringo Monfort

► Classic Carrara - Render Images by Ringo Monfort

► Carrara Walkthrough
    Join Carrara enthusiast, Dartanbeck, for a stroll through some of the basic concepts
    that all Carraraists should get to know early on in their experience to help for a smooth working experience.

► Cripeman's Carrara Video Tutorials Index
    Carrara 6 Pro

Carrara Community's very own Super Hero takes plenty of time from his busy life to
    explore many exciting features of this amazing 3d content manipulation, modeling and animation suite

► GK Dantas' Video Manual Index
    Carrara Cafe's Die-Hard Instructor - now with an easy-to-use index of links

Fenric's Tools ​​
    A brief overview of Fenric's amazing Carrara plugins

► Dartanbeck Video Tutorials
    Some of my Babble-Session Tutorials ;)

► Some Articles I've written for the Carrara Cafe

A community Project webspace for Carrara Animators!!!

Question for Dartanbeck - a thread started by Pjotter to kick my butt into gear! LOL

Carrara 7 Express

► Carrara and related 3d Art Tutorials
    Carrara Community Tutorials and Articles to help you get the most out of this incredibly
    feature rich authoring software. From lighting to animation, the list keeps growing so check back often!

► Working with Content
    With Carrara 8.5 beta, this software is getting much closer to true compatibility
    with Daz Studio. This article attempts to illustrate what can and cannot be taken back and fourth.
    It also covers some of the basic techniques required to get the most out of any Poser/DS content
    within Carrara.

► Dynamic Hair
    Now including a link to Jonstark's video tutorial series!

► Carrara Plugins FAQ & Information - By Jay_NOLA
    Jay compilled and organized a great measure of info regarding Plugins specific to our
    beloved Carrara. FAQ, Information and Links to help you determine which are right for you. Thank You Jay_NOLA!

Carrara 7 Pro

► Comprehensive List of Video Tutorials on Carrara - by FractalDemensia
    The purpose of this thread is to collect, consolidate, and make available a comprehensive list of all video tutorials available on Carrara.

► What's New for Carrara 8
    What does the Daz3d store have to say about their amazing, Flagship Software?

► Technical Specifications and Features Comparison
    See for yourself, a list of the named features of Carrara 8.
    Add your intuition and imagination and the sky is no longer a limit!

► Creating a custom Carrara character and morphing in posed position

Carrara 8 Pro

► What Content can I use in Carrara?

► Carrara 8.5 and Genesis

► Modeling for Genesis

► Genesis and aniBlocks

► AniMating in Carrara

► Inspirational Animated Movies and Videos

► Some Miscellaneous Tips & Tricks

► Carrara Plugins

► Carrara & Computers

► How to Build Your Own Carrara Workstation

► Buying a Workstation

► Useful Links

► Old Daz3d Forum - Helpful links to old forum threads

► Carraraists in the Spotlight!

► OT - Cool Extra (needed) Software

► The Carrara Community Movie Project
    This is a consolidation of CMP links

► Community Favorites Threads Links

► Dartanbeck's Fun Videos

► Download Carrara 3D Expo Magazines Direct!

Carrara 8 Training Videos from Infinite Skills
    These are explanations of the training videos featuring Phil Wilkes and include some great sample footage from the series. I strongly recommend these products unless you feel that you are an absolute expert at using Carrara.
    Learning Carrara 8
    Advanced Carrara Techniques

See the Carrara 8 Promo Reel:

2008 Siggraph Carrara Demo Reel - posted by Marcelo Teixeira (GK DANTAS)

Inside Daz3d The Good Ol' Days - Led by Blaine Furner

Cripeman's dedication to Frank Frazetta
    Where he links to a feature-length special on the artist himself:
    Frank Frazetta - Painting with Fire

Daz3d Professional Artist and Developer Software Suite
    Bryce 7 Pro Daz Studio 4.5 Pro Hexagon 2.5

►►► Carrara Resources ◄◄◄

►►► Carrara translation in German ◄◄◄

►►► Special Link List for Carrara ◄◄◄

Carrara 6 Quick Tour - This file was originally provided with Carrara 6. Much of the information in it applies to Carrara 7 and 8 as well. It is about 64 MBs in size.
    It's a nice little visual walkthrough of various features within Carrara. I think it's a nice little thing to try if you just bought Carrara and would like to see what it has to offer. Even though Carrara will provide much more than what any manual or tutorial could ever hope to explain! "Click Here to Download the File

► SDK for Developers

PyCarrara Home Site

UNDER CONSTRUCTION