October 2019 - DAZ 3D New User Challenge - Atmosphere

Comments

• thanks daedalus

my concept of the render is looking out from the dark in the light to get a sense of security is quickly dashed when you see a Working-Joe - that's the contrast in this render, yes I could emphasise on the Joe a bit more but it's difficult and I would give away too much - not the human makes a check here but the Joe does and has spotted your hiding place in the dark which is now worth nothing because you will run like hell to get out into safety

• Daedalus-7Daedalus-7 Posts: 198
    edited October 2019
    _ AL1vE _ said:

thanks daedalus

my concept of the render is looking out from the dark in the light to get a sense of security is quickly dashed when you see a Working-Joe - that's the contrast in this render, yes I could emphasise on the Joe a bit more but it's difficult and I would give away too much - not the human makes a check here but the Joe does and has spotted your hiding place in the dark which is now worth nothing because you will run like hell to get out into safety

Interesting concept. I would just like to point out that, in that case, you can increase tension in a few ways:

1. The light that is held by the guard blinds the viewer by virtue of its intensity (to create a sense of discomfort).
    2. Consider making the guard look more threatening by making it look bigger. Or, some distortion with the camera (it's a common effect used in the Aliens movies when looking through the eyes of the alien), and by placing the camera closer to the ground.

Since lens distortion effects is not something I'm very familiar to, I can only refer you to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1249&v=U-wVzJPfkFo where all "lens" settings are explained and showcased in detail. You might find something interesting!

Post edited by Daedalus-7 on
  • Luftsturmregiment40Luftsturmregiment40 Posts: 328
    edited October 2019

it could work (depends how willing someone is to participate and seeing the Alien blending in with the smoke)

what I think could increase a bit drama is that the Joe is covered with the smoke coming from the back

alien.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 192K
    Post edited by Luftsturmregiment40 on
    edited October 2019
    _ AL1vE _ said:

it could work (depends how willing someone is to participate and seeing the Alien blending in with the smoke)

what I think could increase a bit drama is that the Joe is covered with the smoke coming from the back

Good, I think you moved in the right direction. This green, though, is working better in the center of the image (around the light and the fog) and I like how it's showing the glare effect of the flashlight. It really takes the focus to the guard. 

However, there might be no need to apply the green to the rest, it may make make everything a bit...too green. I assume you are doing this in postwork, so I'll say you could try a gradient effect.

• I think about it

thanks daedalus for your input

great working with you

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    daedalus7 said:

Ok, after a lot of work (fun work, at least), I have a new version of the Blood Rain, although I would say that the character is NOT directly under the rain, otherwise I would have to add a lot more stuff.  

As per request: 

• there is "slighlty more red" on the throne, which has been re-shaded to have no red whatsoever in the stone (to avoid confusing things),
    • added rain layers (turns out it's difficult to convert "water rain" images to "red rain", the red looks like a very washed-out pink so, after trying many different methods, I made my own image).
    • changed the dress color. Unfortunately, only a light color would allow for the rain to be seen in front of the dress, and the character is already super pale and I needed some contrast in scene. At least now it has bats!
    • added blood to the dress
    • added realism here and there (puddles, splashes, etc).
    • Added postwork! 

Please let me know what you think! Needs more blood, right? devil

Here is a version with less blood on the throne which I think it might be more balanced color-wise:

It is your image and your vision.  But having seen both versions I do think the less blood on the throne version works better.  The rain is definitely visible.  The work has paid off.

a different kind of atmosphere rendered daz3d no post work 

Great work with the rain and the tail lights on the car. 

Daventaki said:

Phase 3.  I did an internet search on volumetric lighting through windows and noticed that not one of the many pictures I looked at showed other lighting in the room photo or 3d. So I thought I would turn those off. Changed the color as Fishtales suggested and like it better.

Thank you for your comments @daedalus7 I wanted the girl to look like she was approaching the window cautiously because she knows its going to be bright but wants a peek outside.

Turning off the candles is really bringing the light streaming through the windows into focus.  Before I kept looking at all the different light sources.  Now I just see the girl and the god rays coming through the windows.

_ AL1vE _ said:

A L I E N  -  looking for the creature

You really shouldn't be here…

Great perspective and use of colour.

"I think I need more arrows...."   

I love the dragon's pose.  The use of light and shadow is very clever.  You have created a lot of depth with a muted colour palette.  Not an easy thing to do. 

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,119

This challenge has been a nightmare for me, because I'm still figuring out exactly how all the lighting controls work, on top of the fact that I render Iray CPU only. I eventually put together at least the beginnings of a scene and followed @Sickleyield's method for creating Godrays. I may do more with the scene in terms of composition and story, but for now, I'm mostly interested in improving the environment.

Alive?

And an alternate version, just because it amused me.

• sueyasueya Posts: 826
    edited October 2019

I have changed to portrait layout and altered the  DOF slightly. I have also removed the trees and the ivy. I realise I still need to  work on the lighting.

I have also given the man a waistcoat.

Post edited by sueya on
  • In lieu of working on the complicated scene I shared earlier (Tentacles have a lot of bones for creatures without a skeleton!) I decided to retry the big cube of SSS approach in a simpler scene.

Iray Atmosphere Test Mk0

The first time I switched it to Iray was extra fun - the camera's DoF settings were something nonsensical, so the entire viewport was BLUR. I initially assumed it was something in the cube's surface settings, and was starting to despair when I realized the issue. I'm a little disappointed by the lack of light shafts, but this structure is probably too open - especially with the fog, light is bouncing in from every which angle. I keep going back and forth on if I should add anything to the scene or not.

edited October 2019
    sueya said:

I have changed to portrait layout and altered the  DOF slightly. I have also removed the trees and the ivy. I realise I still need to  work on the lighting.

I have also given the man a waistcoat.

Thanks for listening to some of my advice. I can see an improvement already. 

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited October 2019

In lieu of working on the complicated scene I shared earlier (Tentacles have a lot of bones for creatures without a skeleton!) I decided to retry the big cube of SSS approach in a simpler scene.

@rcbcgreenpanzer, It can be a bit easier if you select multiple bones at a time, then in the Parameters tab, make sure you've selected "All" at the top of the left column. Then you can adjust Bend, Twist, and Side-Side and affect all the selected bones at once. You'll still find yourself selecting and tweaking, several times, but it helps a lot. And then the transition from one bone to another looks relatively smooth. Mind you, I only figured this out recently myself. One of those "doh" moments. (Like, it should have been obvious, right? Nope. lol)

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • Sisyphus1977Sisyphus1977 Posts: 305
    edited October 2019

Second crack at my Tigers at Night scene.  Worked on the fog planes a bit on the right side of the scene.

Tigers at Night v2.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 5M
    Post edited by Sisyphus1977 on
    edited October 2019

Something was really off about my Blood Rain image, both chromatically, and composition-wise. So, I went back to the drawing board and remade it, going with a different mood instead, ensuring that both the composition was good (using golden ratio and rule of thirds, while keeping it a bit strange), and the colors too.

For "Atmosphere" I am using planes because it renders faster on my pc. 

Moon Magic

Vampire - Remade, Moon e.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
  • WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893

So here's my second entry. It's a bit grainy in places, because I stopped the render when I realised I would have to re-do it to get it how I wanted. There were too many flaws that weren't obvious in preview. I went with a kind of folksy fantasy feeling again, but this time not so spoopy. As a child I loved the illustrated stories by Elsa Beskow, as well as this atmospheric children's book from Norway, and that was the vibe I was trying for. This was originally meant to be a much larger scene, but I had some trouble when I added in animals, and after I took them out there's just a lot of woods with nothing really going on.

Anyway, here's the whole thing. I think I'll have time to rework it before the deadline, but in case I don't then this isn't the entry. The cropped version is the only one I want considered in that case, because this one isn't quite there.

edited October 2019

@TigerAnne When I have an image that's "off" it's usually a composition problem (not having a proper "focus" point), or a color/luminosity problem.

Your larger image seem good, except maybe for the red tree that seems to be fighting for attention with the yellow one. Also, the tree in front of the yellow one seems to be a bit "in the way".  If you remove both, the yellow tree would become the focus of attention; then, if you like, you could brighten it up a bit in postwork, or even giving it a soft glow effect.

Hope this helps!

• sueyasueya Posts: 826

I have warmed up the lighting and changed the base stone to show up the shadow a bit better.

• Version C here. Changed out the windows, toned down the glow of the sludge under the grating that he's standing on, and adjusted the ground fog some (at least I tried to. on the fog.)

oct2019c.png
    1003 x 872 - 1M
  • Hi. This is my first attempt, now I have a problem with the render. I know that the problem arrears are from lights but I don’t know why. Problem marked in red.

@ Gordig. I to render in iray with CPU only, it can make things really confusing some times.
    @ L'Adair. Thanks for the camera tips makes using DOF so much easer.

bedren1.jpg
    1965 x 1105 - 1M
  • bastian2560bastian2560 Posts: 81
    edited October 2019

Breaking False, my final render. I have tried to make it a little blurry and flat to get that grey false dawn effect. 

Breaking False.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 885K
    Post edited by bastian2560 on
  • katiedelongwriterkatiedelongwriter Posts: 65
    edited October 2019

First render. This is my first attempt working with primitives and putting crap in the air. I wish I could get it wispier, but that might be beyond me at this point in time. No postwork done- if I were doing stuff in post, I might render it without the atmosphere to blend the two in photoshop, and maybe take some of the red reflection out of her face.

Edit: Image won't seem to attach properly. What the heck?

Alien Atmo.jpg
    1800 x 2700 - 6M
    Post edited by katiedelongwriter on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,119

@bastian2560, are you using light objects, or emissives? If the former, you can turn off "render emitter" in the light settings to get rid of the phantom objects.

• Edit: Image won't seem to attach properly. What the heck?

Use the attached image, https://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/d9/ced1c49661422be6011a934ca7da09.jpg (not the thumbnail) as the source in the image link - Twitter may not allow direct linking to images on their servers.

Use the attached image, https://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/d9/ced1c49661422be6011a934ca7da09.jpg (not the thumbnail) as the source in the image link - Twitter may not allow direct linking to images on their servers.

I think I got it in the end- uploading it through twitter was a workaround because it wouldn't attach here, and wouldn't read a link attached through elsewhere either, though I tried three different sources. I think it's because my comp is really old, so my browsers don't run modern code all that well. It just took several tries and several browswers to find one that would even open the attachment window, let alone upload the attachment all the way.

I think I got it in the end- uploading it through twitter was a workaround because it wouldn't attach here, and wouldn't read a link attached through elsewhere either, though I tried three different sources. I think it's because my comp is really old, so my browsers don't run modern code all that well. It just took several tries and several browswers to find one that would even open the attachment window, let alone upload the attachment all the way.

I just right-click on the attachment>Copy Link Location.

• Fixed a few things i was not happy with.

BreakingFualse2.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 1M
  • Fixed a few things i was not happy with.

I wanted to point out that the teddy bear is dark and in the darkness, making it barely visible. If you wanted to make it more visible you could place it in front of the white pillow.