Show Us Your Bryce Renders Part 11

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069

mermaid - thank you. Rendered premium with with soft shadows 64 rays per pixel in 7 minutes.

Hansmar - thank you. Yes, haze can be a bit tricky to get right. Don't forget that Cumulus Cloud Height also controls haze - the thickness of the haze band. Even if you don't use those clouds, switch it on, move Cloud Height up (or down) then switch the clouds off again.

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,078

Horo : awesome objects, great colours.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,956
    edited October 2019

A Chaotic terrain generated in the TE and manipulated in the TE Filter, Dave’s Desert Temple Model and lighting is from the Landscapes under Fantastic skies. The bushes are from the Vegetation set, I modified the material a bit.

Desert-Temple.jpg
    920 x 690 - 408K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited October 2019

adbc - thank you.

mermaid - very special and very charming scene.

Post edited by Horo on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,750
    edited October 2019
    Horo said:

mermaid - thank you. Rendered premium with with soft shadows 64 rays per pixel in 7 minutes.

Hansmar - thank you. Yes, haze can be a bit tricky to get right. Don't forget that Cumulus Cloud Height also controls haze - the thickness of the haze band. Even if you don't use those clouds, switch it on, move Cloud Height up (or down) then switch the clouds off again.

Ah, yes, thanks. I did forget that. I think I once must have read it, but all those unexpected relations between factors are difficult to remember. I will redo it with maximum cumulus height to increase the haze band and see what happens then.

Mermaid: Wow, great scene, wonderful mood, thanks to that fantastic sky and great lighting.

Post edited by Hansmar on

Thanks  Horo and Hansmar, for the nice comments.

mermaid : Beautiful scene, awesome sky.

Adbc - thanks

edited October 2019

I redid the cloudscape with mountains. Thanks to Horo I was able to get rid of the band of haze; the haze is now full height.

I also did two new abstracts with a curved mirror, a number of infinite mirrors and one sphere. In the first one I created some kind of texture, but it really is a 3D render. In the second one I also used displacement on the sphere texture. The texture I used is kind of a grainy material, but I like the effect with displacement.

cloudstut4b.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 1M
    texturemirror1.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 3M
    texturemirror1a.jpg
    875 x 875 - 595K
    edited October 2019

Hansmar - cloudscape looks now very good. The abstracts are interesting, displacement is actually better than bump because you get true geometry and not just a "cheat".

Actually an experiment with DOF for near objects and HDRI backdrop. Two plants from the Vegetation set and two made in Arbaro. The flock of birds by Clarence Tippets and the single bird from Daz 3D. The grass are three terrains.

Four Plants

4_Plants.jpg
    1200 x 780 - 216K
    Post edited by Horo on

Hansmar - the mountains with the cloudscape look great now. Both the abstract are cool, the effect in the 2nd one is awesome.

Horo - lovely experiment with DOF

Hansmar : very nice work with the clouds. Original abstracts, well done.

Horo : Beautiful experiment with DOF. Nice plants and birds.

mermaid & adbc - thank you.

• As usual, I’m rather late in responding to your comments to my last image.

Horo, adbc, mermaid010, and Hansmar - thank you!

Slepalex - thanks for the comments and the lighting suggestion. I had tried other lights but not with shadows off. I'll give that a try.

akmerlow - Thanks for such detailed comments. And yes the textures are somewhat low resolution. I almost always reduce content image textures by 50 to 75 percent. It's the only way I can get all the stuff I want in a scene due to the Bryce Mac 2 gig memory limit. This scene uses almost 1.8 gigs so I might be able to squeezer in the original 2096x texture. Thanks again for the suggestions

edited October 2019

A new hangar is being built on this strange world. The roof structure is finished. Below the living quarters for the staff (2 Olympus Mons Hangars). The antennae and roof construction I made myself.

Construction

Construction.jpg
    960 x 1200 - 199K
    Post edited by Horo on

Horo - superb render

mermaid - thank you.

edited October 2019

A surreal render using the Ufo from Drachenlords, the materials and lighting from the set  https://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-1-pro-landscapes-under-fantastic-skies

ufo.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 231K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited October 2019

Horo: Thanks. And great experiment with DOV. Hangar render also very interesting.

Mermaid: Thank you, nice render, great sky. I don't really recognise the surrealness, but that does not really matter.

adbc: Thanks

I re-rendered my 'Lake Atorno', but this time using the volumetric clouds I showed earlier via the spherical mapper. I've had the spherical mapper for a long time, but finally started following the relevant tutorials. Just like I am doing multiple tutorials again or for the first time. It is amazing how much you can forget or overlook when playing with Bryce!

lake atorno mountain9.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 2M

mermaid - good idea with drachenlord's Ufo, very nice scene. The shadow of the Ufo is a nice detail.

Hansmar - thank you. Lake Atorno is a very nice render, I like the detailed shore and the  volumetric clouds.

• akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124

Horo:
    You gave sculpture gen nice applicaton with Bryce! And i like colours very much. "Four plants" is interesting, though DOF is something each have different taste in. "Moon Hangar", nice scene with pleasant terrain and impressive structures.

mermaid010:
    Thank you. "Desert Temple" scene instantly places me in atmosphere of classic tales like Aladdin or Ali-Baba. And the scene with ufo, fantastic sky adds nice touch to that, agree.

adbc:
    Thanks for a kind comment.

Hansmar:
    Thank you much. Many many clouds you have over here, is this artistic fantasy or such coverage happens in some regions? Abstracts are also beautiful, i especially like the one that has 2d look. "Lake Atorno", i prefer new version, even if it's not "pastel colours" as 1st one was.

• akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124

Very quick sketch i suddenly did (haven't brycing enough lately)... Any suggestions, ideas, critic, etc. would be highly welcomed, still so much to learn! Thanks

Here how it loks without haze:

akmerlow - thank you. Nice sketch, the haze gives a sense of distance. The second without the haze looks as if you used ambience on the material or a white Sky Dome to brighten up the foreground. It looks a bit flat and contrasts with the sun lit parts that look very good. I miss a bit of bump on the water, such a sky suggests that there's some wind that ripples the water. In the upper image, it is fine because we can't see the water through the haze and the brightness of the parts not lit by the sun can be attributed to the haze. These are observations, not critics. I find it always difficult to "judge" an artwork without knowing the artist's intentions.

edited October 2019

akmerlow: thanks. Your renders are nice. The second one looks surreal, because you do not immediately realise that the camera is (much) higher than the first set of mountains. The far away mountain appears to be floating in the sky (or maybe it is a symmetrical lattice actually in the sky?). If you would have more ripples in the water and a little less reflection (if it is water), it would be more clear that the mountain is an island. You could also play with the Sky Dome and horizon colours to get another effect.

I continue working with volumetric clouds rendered with the spherical mapper and putting them on a background sphere. Works very nicely indeed!

Here two examples of the same scene with the same bigger clouds, but different position of the camera and different light (colour of the sun, mainly). The clouds are the main theme in these renders, specifically in the second. The other elements are there to create a scene. Horo might wat more ripples in the water with such big clouds, but I like the mirror-effect a lot.

mountainisland.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 707K
    mountainisland1.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 541K

Hansmar - nothing wrong with the water because it is quite clear where the land ends and the water begins. That is the problem in akmerlow's second render (or it's a floating symmetrical lattice). Volume clouds can make a render quite long. So creating a nice cloudy day and render it big as a spherical panorama may take a while but then when used on a sphere as sky, it renders swift and can be used many times. Only limitation is they cast no shadows.

edited October 2019
    Horo said:

Hansmar - nothing wrong with the water because it is quite clear where the land ends and the water begins. That is the problem in akmerlow's second render (or it's a floating symmetrical lattice). Volume clouds can make a render quite long. So creating a nice cloudy day and render it big as a spherical panorama may take a while but then when used on a sphere as sky, it renders swift and can be used many times. Only limitation is they cast no shadows.

Horo. Yes, I noticed the lack of shadows, which certainly is a limitation. Now I remember from the tutorial, that David did get shadows from the, I have to check how he did that (or what I did incorrect).

Now I checked and I saw I used the wrong setting for transparency in the material. I am now looking for a new look with nice shadows from the clouds on my scene.

edited October 2019

Horo : outstanding render. 

mermaid : nice image excellent sky.

Hansmar : Beautiful image Lake Atorno. Both examples with the clouds are great.

akmerlow : great renders, the one with haze looks the best to me. 

I did try to make new materials and that is not really easy, but after trying a lot I came to this landscape.

another planet scape.jpg
    960 x 542 - 91K
    Post edited by adbc on
    edited October 2019

adbc: Thank you. Great outlandish landscape. Did you create that industrial struction in the middle; that looks very interesting.

adbc - thank you. Great scene, material on the terrain is very nice and the sky fits the scene perfectly.

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    akmerlow said:

Very quick sketch i suddenly did (haven't brycing enough lately)... Any suggestions, ideas, critic, etc. would be highly welcomed, still so much to learn! Thanks

I like this hazed version, it's an interesting piece.

This discussion has been closed.