DS Temp Files

barrieMbarrieM Posts: 282
edited October 2019 in Daz Studio Discussion

I have several Gb of “Temp_-103224228.Compo”. files' What are they and are there any reasons why they should not be deleted?

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• Where are they? Do you have any add-on render plug-ins?

• barrieMbarrieM Posts: 282
    edited October 2019

They are in Documents>DAZ3D>DazTmp> Lots of them and no render plug-ins.

Post edited by barrieM on
  • That's not the default temp folder, assuming you haven't changed it Edit>Preferences (Daz Studio>Preferences on a Mac) they must be being created by a plug-in (or script) of some kind.

• cm152335cm152335 Posts: 421
    edited October 2019
    barrieM said:

I have several Gb of “Temp_-103224228.Compo”. files' What are they and are there any reasons why they should not be deleted?

it need time before they deleted! (sometime more than a minutes after Daz "totaly close")

also for some reason keep a temp folder in a system part sometime not workin as wanted

i suggest you to change the path of the temp (via F2) and created temp folder out of system folder or Harddisk

Post edited by cm152335 on

There are 81 fies with contents ranging fro 0 to 2.5 Gb. I haven't installed any plug-ins but used a few products that use scripts.

DS Preferences for both Temporary and DSON Cache files show paths that don't exist on my computer. Could the Temp and Cache files go through a different path without flagging an error?

Is the format “Temp_-103224228.Compo” consistent with DS temporary files?

Thanks cm You are right, the path didn't work so I will change the path.

• barrieM said:

There are 81 fies with contents ranging fro 0 to 2.5 Gb. I haven't installed any plug-ins but used a few products that use scripts.

DS Preferences for both Temporary and DSON Cache files show paths that don't exist on my computer. Could the Temp and Cache files go through a different path without flagging an error?

Is the format “Temp_-103224228.Compo” consistent with DS temporary files?

Doesn't exist or is hidden? By default C:/Users/YOU/AppData/ is hidden, and DS puts its temporary files there. You can get to the right place with

%appData%/daz 3d/Studio4/Temp/

pasted into the addess bar of a file window.

• cm152335 said:
    barrieM said:

it need time before they deleted! (sometime more than a minutes after Daz "totaly close")

also for some reason keep a temp folder in a system part sometime not workin as wanted

i suggest you to change the path of the temp (via F2) and created temp folder out of system folder or Harddisk

Using the AppData folder seems good to me - theya re not, after all, user-facing files so shouldn't be cluttering up the Documents folder

edited October 2019

Richard, The link from preferences was /Users/barriejones/Library/Application Support/DAZ 3D/. When I said the link didn't exist I should have said the Library folder of the link didn't exist. It makes sense that the  “Temp_xxxxxxxxxx.Compo”. files are the Daz temporary files because DS took a very long time to quit. I often used the "Force quit" button to quit DS. I have now reset the link in preferences and deleted several Gigs of temp files. Many thanks for your help.

The problem is that myName occurs twice once as the owner once as a user. The link was through the user instead of the owner. I must have set that up years ago when I didn't know what I was doing...... or maybe it was an auto operation.

Post edited by barrieM on
  • barrieM said:

Richard, The link from preferences was /Users/barriejones/Library/Application Support/DAZ 3D/. When I said the link didn't exist I should have said the Library folder of the link didn't exist. It makes sense that the  “Temp_xxxxxxxxxx.Compo”. files are the Daz temporary files because DS took a very long time to quit. I often used the "Force quit" button to quit DS. I have now reset the link in preferences and deleted several Gigs of temp files. Many thanks for your help.

The problem is that myName occurs twice once as the owner once as a user. The link was through the user instead of the owner. I must have set that up years ago when I didn't know what I was doing...... or maybe it was an auto operation.

Application Support is the Mac equivalent  of AppData - maybe it too is hdden, the Daz 3D folder shoudl certainly be there as it's where things like layouts and the log file live. I'm pretty sure those .compo fiels are not normal DS files, both by their location and because I've never seen them. I asked about rendering plug-ins (e.g.g Octane, Reality, Luxus) because compo sounds like composite, but that's hardly conclusive.

The default link to temp files was users>myName>Library...(no library folder here). On my Mac the library is accessed  macintoshHD>library. I have now changed the link in preferences. 

Apparantly .compo files are from Carrara Pro on Windows. I have Carrara Pro but not on Windows. It is a mystery how they got there.

• Ah, well that's odd about the paths - it may be worth opening a support ticket on that, in case you've found a bug of some kind.