Does anyone have a good Readme template? - and Folder Structure?

DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,024
edited October 2019 in The Commons

Does anyone have a good "Readme" template for distributing freebies?  In addition to restrictions, what other information is generally desirable?  As for restrictions, in general, my preference is to allow all renders (personal and commercial) but to prohibit redistribution of the mesh. I can be convinced otherwise, so feel free to make a suggestion or point me where I need to be pointed.

(This is not an offer of a freebie or a request for a freebie so I posted here.  Mods, feel free to redirect as appropriate)

Freebie File Structure for Studio-Compatible Content

Still getting familiar with which files are needed where if Studio-compatible content is to be shared.  I am attaching an image of a sample file structure for clothing for G8F.  Let me know if you see obvious flaws or if you have a better suggestion.  For a set, I would substitute for the "People/Geness 8 Female/..." tree.  Instead, insert something like "Environments / Architecture / Diomede / This Project".

Post edited by Diomede on

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

smileyenlightened
    Presets, OBJECT, figure/set, Clothes, DIOMEDE, Name
    Presets, SHADERS, figure/set, Clothes, DIOMEDE, Name
    Scene, TYPE ( like Terrains), Season, Diomede, Set Name

• Catherine3678abCatherine3678ab Posts: 7,986
    edited October 2019

Looks good. As you have noted, if/when making other products that centre branch would vary.

The naming of "readme" - it is helpful to attach more info to it, such as Readme Dress for G8 or whatever. When unzipping folders to the same place, items with duplicate names tend to be overwritten. Even if they copy with numbers, they tend to get ditched 'cause who wants to open 5,000 readmes looking for "one." For these and other reasons aside from the obvious place to include them in the package, esp. if it's important, I tend to tuck one into one of the product's folders.

Whether or not is usable for commercial purposes is important to state, as you have noted already.

Depending upon various factors it can also be important to mention the sources of any "merchant resources" that were used for said project. This matters more to some companies than others, and of course the makers of various merchant resources. Some want credits, some do not.

And whatever one is making, I have read others stating that they always keep their working files, etc. for "proof" that they made whatever it is they said they made. It's a small world. I have noticed that if one examines enough mesh one can probably take a good guess as to who and/or with which program, an item was made. Some companies claim that they can even identify like "every vertice" of their products lol ... and there's at least one vendor who will even buy anything that looks even remotely like their work, just to check it. And there are a few sad folk who discovered the hard way that when caught claiming mesh was theirs when it was not, would never gain employment by any reputable company because none of them would trust them ever again.

oh yes, some folk make readmes to be interesting reading. I will remember for a long time the first time I read one vendor's readme [for freeware] ... it included a recipe for squirrel. I do not recommend eating squirrels myself 'cause they are not [I don't care who says what] food. A friend of mine calls them tree rats and that's more to the point. Rats are not food either. But I do remember the hiliarious tales and would download anything he posted just read his readmes.

Post edited by Catherine3678ab on

something like People/Geness 8 Female/

i like to set subfolders for different rigging

cuz theres different workflows for the rigging type

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Drop the "Content" folder.

• No, one has to have the Content folder. Some places rely on those being there and will refuse products that omit it.

rosty rules prohibit the content folder.   must have a Documents folder for the readme and license.

makes my oh see dees twitch

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,024

Thank you, Catherine3678ab, Mystarra, and Jestmart, for these thoughtful and helpful replies.  yes

Interesting that the content folder would be the folder that would differ among destinations.  At the moment, I am just posting to ShareCG, and they don't seem to have any kind of requirement or check.  Really, the lack of required consistency at ShareCG is why I am asking.

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

The "Content" or any other leading folder is not needed (DIM strips it out so don't try that arguement) and will cause problems by placing the actual content one folder to low.

jestmart said:

The "Content" or any other leading folder is not needed (DIM strips it out so don't try that arguement) and will cause problems by placing the actual content one folder to low.

the dreaded dsf not found message  

• Most "other" Content is not installed via DIM ;-) The name of a collector folder such as "Content" or "My Library" tends to help people know into which folder to dump all the content.

It was back awhile but the desires FOR a "Content" folder were mentioned in another store's forum. Not everybody uses D/S for all our creations.

However if some don't want to use a collector folder, and indeed some don't .... suit yourselves. I just unzipped a whole bunch of folders and sure enough somebody didn't and their product got scattered all over the place. At least it was free. Having folders sort by 'date' instead of name can help find misplaced content.

And ALL the content downloaded from Daz3D HAS a "Content folder" ... so okay if DIM is stripping that, one is but giving DIM something to do so it can find and put stuff where it belongs or so one might think.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,024
    Mystarra said:

smileyenlightened
    Presets, OBJECT, figure/set, Clothes, DIOMEDE, Name
    Presets, SHADERS, figure/set, Clothes, DIOMEDE, Name
    Scene, TYPE ( like Terrains), Season, Diomede, Set Name

yes