October 2019 - DAZ 3D New User Challenge - Atmosphere

Comments

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

Version b here. Tried to thicken the main fog some, added some ground fog, and did some texture work on his arm lights.

If you have any cloud props in your runtime then take the cutout image from one of them and put it in the cutout for the fog. Some work...some don't frown

• Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited October 2019
    Ruris said:
    Ruris said:

Nice start.  Are you planning on adding anything else to the image?

Hi,

Just finding answers to some questions:

a) How to paint light/fog effectively. Which light color goes well with the background scene 

b) Understand the depth layer function better

My reference image is as below, nothing so ambitious though. Just trying to expand the skillset before falling back to the usual.

Nicely done.  This is developing the feel of a movie or game poster. 

Post edited by Chohole on
    L'Adair said:
    TigerAnne said:

Well, then... Here's the first edition of my *~*atmospheric*~* entry. Version 2 is in the works.

That looks really good so far. The creature in the fog looks like something out of a nightmare. Great start!

I agree with L'Adair.  I love the white eye in the darkness.  It draws me to the creature but in a really subtle way.  A very Halloweeny feel.

Version b here. Tried to thicken the main fog some, added some ground fog, and did some texture work on his arm lights.

The thicker fog at your guy's feet is giving this more dimension.  Some light coming through the windows as suggested by daedalus7 could gives this some added dimension.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited October 2019
    TigerAnne said:

This is version 2, and I think I overdid the fog a little with this one. What does anyone else think? Should I bring the fog-wall back up to where it was in the first image? In other changes, I switched out the shrub next to the dead tree with one that looked more natural, made some of the background firs taller, and brought the gargoyle up a bit so his tail and legs are more visible. I think he looks a bit like a heraldic creature, and when you have great legs like that, you wanna show them off!

What are you using for fog? I think it could be pushed back a bit. But it does look more natural getting thick closer to the camera than in the first image. And if you're adding something to the foreground that won't be in the fog, like the poor soul petrified as they see this thing in the mist, I'd add that first, and then adjust the fog back accordingly.

Regardless of where you take it next, I'm loving this spooky image. Both atmosphere and spooky. Perfect for October!

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893
    L'Adair said:

What are you using for fog? I think it could be pushed back a bit. But it does look more natural getting thick closer to the camera than in the first image. And if you're adding something to the foreground that won't be in the fog, like the poor soul petrified as they see this thing in the mist, I'd add that first, and then adjust the fog back accordingly.

Regardless of where you take it next, I'm loving this spooky image. Both atmosphere and spooky. Perfect for October!

The fog is just the prop that comes with the Woodland Place set. I've also used the ground and trees from that as the base, and kit-bashed in trees, shrubs and plants from various other sets.The problem with this particular fog prop is that you can tell where it stops, even when the render is finished. In the first version I hid the transition behind various plants, but you can see it crossing the barely-there path leading into the woods if you know it's there. That's why I pulled the fog just beyond the camera frame in the second version. Since you think that looks more natural, I'll just leave it like that. I'm doing a third version all the same, because I wanted to move a couple of the props just a bit.

I don't think I'll be adding any human characters to this scene. Let it be first-person PoV, mua ha ha haaaa! I'm glad to hear I managed to make it spoopy.

I agree with L'Adair.  I love the white eye in the darkness.  It draws me to the creature but in a really subtle way.  A very Halloweeny feel.

Thank you! laugh

• mistapropellamistapropella Posts: 27
    edited October 2019

Hi, I'm pretty new to Daz, I fiddled with it many years ago, but as my rig was always way too weak I never really sticked with it. But finally, after years, I have build me a complete new PC and now I'm able to do some stuff with daz.

So without further ado, here's my entry. Please be gentle:

edited October 2019

Hi, I'm pretty new to Daz, I fiddled with it many years ago, but as my rig was always way too weak I never really sticked with it. But finally, after years, I have build me a complete new PC and now I'm able to do some stuff with daz.

So without further ado, here's my entry. Please be gentle:

Congrats on the new PC.

This is a great start.  That cloak is wonderfully draped around your figure.  The white is a great choice as it draws the eye to her.  I love the fog.

I cannot put my finger on the problem but something about the sky beyond the trees doesn't look quite right but I am not sure why.

A wonderful start.

• Thanks alot Kismet. 

• WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893

Final version of the creepy entry. laugh I'm going to try to make one with a misty forest looking more magical and inviting. Let's see if I have the skillz.

• LaPartitaLaPartita Posts: 401

@mistapropella - you've got a very compelling concept there, and a great start. I think I figured out what Kismet was talking about - the background is bright, sunny, and it looks like there are some trees turning colors. The foreground is all misty and grey and mysterious - very different.

•  

@mistapropella - you've got a very compelling concept there, and a great start. I think I figured out what Kismet was talking about - the background is bright, sunny, and it looks like there are some trees turning colors. The foreground is all misty and grey and mysterious - very different.

thanks for your input, much appreciated. I will take a look at it and see what I can do.

• Sisyphus1977Sisyphus1977 Posts: 305
    edited October 2019

Here is my go at this challenge.  I made some billboards and images for fog, then set the fog planes at varying distances and opacities from the camera.  The trees and grasses are all billboards.  I was not sure if this would render on my GPU with the three tigers, but it did smiley.

I call this "Tigers at Night".

Tigers at Night.jpg
    3840 x 2160 - 5M
    Post edited by Sisyphus1977 on
  • Here is my go at this challenge.  I made some billboards and images for fog, then set the fog planes at varying distances and opacities from the camera.  The trees and grasses are all billboards.  I was not sure if this would render on my GPU with the three tigers, but it did smiley.

Nice one Sisypus1977.

• dragoneyes002dragoneyes002 Posts: 205
    edited October 2019

Post edited by dragoneyes002 on
  • dragoneyes002dragoneyes002 Posts: 205
    edited October 2019

with everyone posting automata advertisements figured i'd toss one in with the character done on 4.10 daz3d

moeinfog.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 684K
    Post edited by dragoneyes002 on
  • Daedalus-7Daedalus-7 Posts: 198
    edited October 2019

Tough challange, my GPU really doesn't like "Atmosphere" sad it just keeps on iterating for hours while staying at 0% convergence. So I apologize but my entry is going to be very grainy (I am using the denoiser for some extra help). I also did a bit of postwork, nothing too drastic though (including adding some Vultures, if you can spot them).

Sand's Volume: I used the "Volume" settings SSS value = 0.005, TDM = 100 to a color very close to white. I also added some bloom.

The camera is within the "dust" volume, that's because if I move the volume to go to just outside the camera it does not render properly and gives me strange artefacts.

Assets used: 

Infinite Sands - Desert Environment 

Desert Robes for Genesis 8 Male(s) 

My Camel Camelia HD (I re-textured it completely for Iray, also added some L.I.E. for dirt). 

Sandstorm

Sandstorm.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    Post edited by Daedalus-7 on

Here is my go at this challenge.  I made some billboards and images for fog, then set the fog planes at varying distances and opacities from the camera.  The trees and grasses are all billboards.  I was not sure if this would render on my GPU with the three tigers, but it did smiley.

Great work.  Planes can make very effective fog.  The starry sky is a great addition.  My only quibble, and it is a small one, is the fog to the right of the image gives me the impression of smoke from a forest fire.  Which can also be quite atmospheric but I am not sure that was what you wanted.

with everyone posting automata advertisements figured i'd toss one in with the character done on 4.10 daz3d

I really like the layers you managed to get in the fog.  And the misty mountains in the background is also very effective.  The white hair on the figure helps to draw the eye to her.  Nicely done.

daedalus7 said:

Tough challange, my GPU really doesn't like "Atmosphere" sad it just keeps on iterating for hours while staying at 0% convergence. So I apologize but my entry is going to be very grainy (I am using the denoiser for some extra help). I also did a bit of postwork, nothing too drastic though (including adding some Vultures, if you can spot them).

Sand's Volume: I used the "Volume" settings SSS value = 0.005, TDM = 100 to a color very close to white. I also added some bloom.

The camera is within the "dust" volume, that's because if I move the volume to go to just outside the camera it does not render properly and gives me strange artefacts.

Assets used: 

My Camel Camelia HD (I re-textured it completely for Iray, also added some L.I.E. for dirt). 

Sandstorm

Great sandstorm effect.  I spotted 2 of the vultures.  I also love the tracks in the sand...although they aren't going to last long.  Nice sun flare too.

• sueyasueya Posts: 826
    edited October 2019

Here's the first version of my image - Autumn Dance

I may add some more mist and change the lighting. There is a spotlight with shadow but it does not seem to make much difference at the moment.

Constructive Feedback will be welcome.

Post edited by sueya on
  • @Kismet2012 Thank you! Well, there are 6 vultures to be found (all in the same area) but some are really berely visible, I just thought they would quite hard to spot with all the glare and sand going on.

• Shinji Ikari 9th said:

Nice one Sisypus1977.

Much appreciated and thank you.

Kismet2012 said:

Great work.  Planes can make very effective fog.  The starry sky is a great addition.  My only quibble, and it is a small one, is the fog to the right of the image gives me the impression of smoke from a forest fire.  Which can also be quite atmospheric but I am not sure that was what you wanted.

I see where that could be the case regarding the fog to the right.  What I wanted to do from a composition POV was to have a night sky with some fog, maybe rolling in from the right.  I did not want the fog to mask the overall sky to the degree it does on the right, as I like the slight haze and brightness of the night sky to the image left.  Most likely, I need to sort out which fog plane is on the right and play with the opacity some or reposition it a bit.

Shinji Ikari 9th said:

Nice one Sisypus1977.

Much appreciated and thank you.

Kismet2012 said:

I see where that could be the case regarding the fog to the right.  What I wanted to do from a composition POV was to have a night sky with some fog, maybe rolling in from the right.  I did not want the fog to mask the overall sky to the degree it does on the right, as I like the slight haze and brightness of the night sky to the image left.  Most likely, I need to sort out which fog plane is on the right and play with the opacity some or reposition it a bit.

I understand and completely agree.  I do like the sky on the left.  Turning the opacity down a bit may just do the trick.

• DaventakiDaventaki Posts: 1,621

Here is my WIP for my contest entry.  I finally got some results after tweaking and adjusting then doing it some more.  I was just about ready to throw the whole thing out. 

I have attached two partial renders and maybe someone can give me some tips.  The first render is with the luminous flux at 10000000 the second is at 100000000.  I like the stronger rays from the higher number but feel like it is to much.

WaitingRaystoned.png
    900 x 692 - 2M
    WaitingMainRays.png
    900 x 692 - 2M
  • FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited October 2019

@Daventaki

What light are you using for the sunlight through the window?

The two lights I would use would be either Sun and Sky or a distant light.

I would set the Sun and Sky sun, SS Sun Disk Intensity, to 1 or 2 and set the Lat/Long, Day and Time to where you live so that you get the angle of sun right. Easier to know where the sun will be in the sky rather than guessing.

Or for a Distant light I would set it to Colour white, Intensity 100%, Luminous Flux (Lumen) between a minimum 10,000 to a maximum 50,000, whichever gives the best light, and Temperature at 4500, 5500 or 6500, again whichever gives the better colour.. You can set the Distant Light by viewing through it and it can also be used with a HDRI plugged into the Dome to give something to view outside the window. You will then have to juggle the inside lights and the Tone Mapping to get the best result.

NOT AN ENTRY

I am assuming it is something like this you want.

winterhall-001.jpg
    1440 x 960 - 1M
    Post edited by Fishtales on
  • @Daventaki I like the second image, looks great to me and it also shows the volumetric light better than the first one. Real sunlight can be very intense, after all.

If you are having problems with the grainy-ness you can always use the denoiser of DAZ studio and although it removes some detail, I feel that for architectural renders it can be ok. 

• 19-10-Tentacle_Threat

So I thought I'd set something in the middle of a decided lack of atmosphere. I'm still having trouble with SickleYield's tutorial, so this is temporarily (As with all 'temporary' measures, it's probably permanent.) using Marshian's Fog Camera as an approximation.

Current task list:

• Debug the SSS cube. (Currently, if it is visible, the render is all black.)
    • Either perk up that tentacle or add a more lively counterpart.
    • Tweak the lighting. I'm not sure what direction it needs to go, just that it is not yet quite there.
    • Maybe lower the saturation a tad?

Comments, criticisms, concerns?

And I didn't get that impression at all! I suppose it's "environmental" to an extent. I used to live south of San Francisco and one of my favorite drives was Skyline Boulevard at night. It was best when the fog was rolling in from the ocean to blanket the bay, and the fog would be thin in one place and as thick as pea soup in another. Sometimes it felt like another world for miles at a time. And that's immediately what I though of when I saw the fog in this image. It might help to look more like fog to the rest of the world, though, if you can get it to look more white. Not quite sure how to do that with a plane, though…

daedalus7 said:

Assets used: 

Sandstorm

This is looking really good.

However, I'd like to point out there are other ways of creating atmosphere than using a volume with settings. Sisyphus1977's Tiger's at Night image is a prefect example, where he used planes to create fog. There are a number of products which can help you create atmosphere, (and I list a bunch of them at the bottom of this post,) but while those are convenient, you can make your own versions using primatives you create in Daz Studio.

As your system has trouble with the volume props, I'd recommend staying with planes. You can stack several planes one in front of the other to create a similar effect as the volume. The main thing is what settings you apply to the planes. That can be tricky. But a white plane with a cloud-like transmap can do wonders for creating smoke and fog.

I'll play with it for a bit, and see if I can come up with some reasonable settings for using planes to create the volume effect you're using with your sand image. Not for that image, but future reference.