The Can’t Find Anything When You Need It Complaint Thread.

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    ...not making a livable income

That probably describes a good portion of the population.

I'm well aware of the real unemployment rate scenario.

Where one of my sisters lives, way...way...way up in Maine, unemployment is so bad that when you apply for food stamps they don't even check, they just give it to you.

Dana
    ...I'm really dreading January. That is when the extended emergency UC programme ends. There is a lot of concern here in Oregon that over 77,000 will lose benefits while still having no job prospects in sight. Not sure what to do.

Looks like I could very well be getting a shiny new shopping trolley, and a cardboard condo under the Burnside Bridge for Christmas this year.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991
    edited December 1969

my fall back job used to be data entry someone had to type in addresses for the cabbage patch dolls birthday card,

there's no data entry jobs last few times i checked.

y'know wuz funny, i've seen people with no computer skills snow their way into MIS management positions, and the people with real skills who don't or 'refuse to' shmooze their way in

Yeah, it's hard on the paycheck when you have at least an ounce of intelligence, dignity or personal integrity. Without those things, it appears the sky is the limit in the business world. >:-(
  • IceScribeIceScribe Posts: 690
    edited December 1969

I have that issue from putting too many dongles in my holes
    my pooter asks "is it in yet?"

Heh. So far so good, the battery switch is working. It was rather geeky, I thought, for us to have matching computers, but now it's mighty useful. He's going to give me that one, so I'll have 2. Oh Goody!

edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    DanaTA said:
    Frank0314 said:
    We have cheap living here so in turns we have jobs that pay for [%@!*] just to make it fair

It's probably the other way around.

Dana

...we have primarily low wage service jobs here in Portland, yet the cost of living for just about everything, from food to rent, to utilities, to transit is much higher than the means of the average worker.

In recent years the have been huge increases in our water and sewer rates, rubbish service was scaled back to collection every two weeks instead of weekly while rates went up, transit fares have increased (by nearly 100% in the last ten years) while bus service has been reduced, and rents just keep skyrocketing as it has become a landlord's market with no rent controls. It seems every week I go to the market, the average prices across the board jump 5 - 9¢.

A lot of it has to do with the national image of being""progressive" the city keeps promoting. They tout the high end tech jobs, the shiny new light rail trains and streetcars, the gentrified neighbourhoods, and gleaming new condo developments while pushing the the "less fortunate" out to the "slurbs" (a combination of "suburb" and "slum").

So sometimes just having a lot of "crap" jobs doesn't necessarily mean you'll find better prices at the market.

Judging by everything you've said about your area over the past few months, I find it odd that you aren't trying like hell to move away from there. I think you've already stated that you have no family keeping you there, or am I wrong? It sounds like it's time to get the hell out of Dodge. You'd probably have better luck with a job search elsewhere, too. And if you go somewhere that isn't as wet as it always seems to be there, you'd be in less pain, too.

Dana
    ...don't drive and don't have the financial resources to relocate. I would need between 8,000 - 10,000$ to cover moving and living expenses until I could find something that paid a living wage.

When I moved here 24 years ago the "Silicon Forest" was growing and multimedia development was one of those "new" technologies still pretty much dominated by startups like the one I worked for. Oregon and Portland really was the "Land of Promise" (to borrow a phrase from my favourite RPG) back then. After that company got ran into the ground by an inept owner the region was already on the downhill slope. I had been out of the market for over a year and by that time what I did required a college degree. I was also burned out on coding. The .com bubble and bust didn't help the local economy much either. By then I was stuck in a job that basically covered my living expenses leaving little to put aside (which is why it took me 18 months to build my new system).

Even if I could move, the warmer, drier, places (e.g. Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico) have just as bad if not a worse job scene than here and lousy to non existent transit.

edited December 1969

Frank0314 said:
    DanaTA said:
    Frank0314 said:
    We have cheap living here so in turns we have jobs that pay for shit just to make it fair

Dana

Compared to other places the cost of living is cheap here. The wages are crap compared to the rest of the country. Even a broke ass can get by here if you try. As long as you have a job at a fast food restaurant you can get a place here. You won't be able to pay for anything else. our.
    ...so where is "here"?

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,188
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Frank0314 said:
    DanaTA said:
    Frank0314 said:
    We have cheap living here so in turns we have jobs that pay for shit just to make it fair

Dana

Compared to other places the cost of living is cheap here. The wages are crap compared to the rest of the country. Even a broke ass can get by here if you try. As long as you have a job at a fast food restaurant you can get a place here. You won't be able to pay for anything else. our.
    ...so where is "here"?

Northeast Ohio

edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    IceScribe said:
    My complaint. Laptop computer no longer recognizes the power cord that came with it, so it won't recharge the battery. The cord apparently has lost its grabbiness and just falls out of the laptop. So does my hubby's identical powercord, just falls out with the slightest movement.

No complaint. But, my hubby's identical laptop will recharge my battery, so it's within the laptop where the grabbing/charging no longer occurs. His battery is now in my puter, and so I can use it.

Gonna be nice and chilly tonight in the Los Angeles area maybe 36F. After a summer that seemed to last for a year, it's a relief.

Output of entiire industrialised world bought undone by a fraying power chord *facepalm* :lol:

DRy heat for us today

Certainly in this part of the industrialized world, production ceased, with a lot of loud and critical commentary and some loud shouts of disbelief at the cost of replacing said cord, and or said battery from said hubby. All is well now, as we are successful with the battery switching and production will resume with new goodies obtained from the low low low sale from DAZ for items that will run in my old versions of Studio (3 and 4).

It's finally raining where I am, near Los Angeles! Yay! Not very cold either. Thermometer outside says 50F. The rain is polite. It drips, then stops, drips, stops. All day, easy to step outside and not get soaked. Complaint: Barely enough to soak the ground beyond a thin layer. We have a municipal water use surcharge, so neighbors simply stopped watering, and so many trees have withered to death in our neighborhood from lack of water. We had some good rains a few years ago, but that was El Nino effect which I guess has left. Our ancient floor heater was replaced by a craftsman who still knows how to install such ancient devices, a new one which was off by 1.5 inches, but he made it fit. Toasty! Our fireplace is unuseable after an earthquake which left the chimney stable, but cracked the fire resistant brick lining. Cost at time of estimate was $10K. It's probably 3x that by now. It looks lovely with a a pair of andirons, and a votive candle, total cost about $5.

edited December 2013

Frank0314 said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    Frank0314 said:
    DanaTA said:
    Frank0314 said:

Dana

...so where is "here"?

Northeast Ohio
    ...ahh the old "Rust Belt" where there is "real winter". That is why I left Wisconsin.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

winter hasn't even started yet. not even the shortest day of the year yet. yet we're closer to the sun. north america is on the shorter wobble?

playin with my boyds faeries music box. one plays the tea for two song and ... one is 'thats what friends are for'.
    wined wined ... duhruhduh duhruhduh

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,063
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    DanaTA said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    DanaTA said:
    Frank0314 said:
    We have cheap living here so in turns we have jobs that pay for [%@!*] just to make it fair

Dana

...we have primarily low wage service jobs here in Portland, yet the cost of living for just about everything, from food to rent, to utilities, to transit is much higher than the means of the average worker.

In recent years the have been huge increases in our water and sewer rates, rubbish service was scaled back to collection every two weeks instead of weekly while rates went up, transit fares have increased (by nearly 100% in the last ten years) while bus service has been reduced, and rents just keep skyrocketing as it has become a landlord's market with no rent controls. It seems every week I go to the market, the average prices across the board jump 5 - 9¢.

A lot of it has to do with the national image of being""progressive" the city keeps promoting. They tout the high end tech jobs, the shiny new light rail trains and streetcars, the gentrified neighbourhoods, and gleaming new condo developments while pushing the the "less fortunate" out to the "slurbs" (a combination of "suburb" and "slum").

So sometimes just having a lot of "crap" jobs doesn't necessarily mean you'll find better prices at the market.

Judging by everything you've said about your area over the past few months, I find it odd that you aren't trying like hell to move away from there. I think you've already stated that you have no family keeping you there, or am I wrong? It sounds like it's time to get the hell out of Dodge. You'd probably have better luck with a job search elsewhere, too. And if you go somewhere that isn't as wet as it always seems to be there, you'd be in less pain, too.

Dana
    ...don't drive and don't have the financial resources to relocate. I would need between 8,000 - 10,000$ to cover moving and living expenses until I could find something that paid a living wage.

When I moved here 24 years ago the "Silicon Forest" was growing and multimedia development was one of those "new" technologies still pretty much dominated by startups like the one I worked for. Oregon and Portland really was the "Land of Promise" (to borrow a phrase from my favourite RPG) back then. After that company got ran into the ground by an inept owner the region was already on the downhill slope. I had been out of the market for over a year and by that time what I did required a college degree. I was also burned out on coding. The .com bubble and bust didn't help the local economy much either. By then I was stuck in a job that basically covered my living expenses leaving little to put aside (which is why it took me 18 months to build my new system).

Even if I could move, the warmer, drier, places (e.g. Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico) have just as bad if not a worse job scene than here and lousy to non existent transit.

Well, I'm out of thoughts, then. But if you end up out on the street, how is that better than going somewhere warmer out on the street? I hope you can get something going for you.

Dana

edited December 1969

Getting a job seems to have all sorts of ridiculous hurdles these days. I remember just walking with the want-ad in the paper to my prospective place of employment, and getting hired, starting the next Monday. My granddaughter just got her first job---at a 99cent store! She's graduating with honors from high school, but that's who was hiring in her neighborhood that wasn't a food service job. She's a cashier, and learning to stock shelves. It's valuable experience, but jeeze, I had hoped for better for my descendants! My hubby decided to try for a job at the airport. He passed the tests, he passed the interviews, he met all the criteria, he was on the list. Then he got a notice that he could not fill the position---because he had a tattoo on his hand! Don't those guys wear gloves anyway? It's a tiny silly thing compared to today's taste in tats, barely noticeable, and of course a bandaid or a glove would have solved the problem. But he qualified in all the other stuff, but was really on the truth of it, too old. They are not allowed to say that or use that as a consideration. But I ask yez, in the city of Los Angeles, at the airport, what are the odds that others have more vibrant, more coverage, more controversial, or just more tats? He was just too old, and so am I. Today's employers can choose among younger people who don't remember days off, paid holidays, dental, vision and medical benefits, overtime pay, bonuses, and regular 40hours work week, are more credentialed, and more likely to go with the flow, as we used to say.

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited December 1969

Morning. MUggy and getting a little gloomy and windy so far today, there is a storm blowing in from the south west :)

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    DanaTA said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    ...not making a livable income

That probably describes a good portion of the population.

I'm well aware of the real unemployment rate scenario.

Where one of my sisters lives, way...way...way up in Maine, unemployment is so bad that when you apply for food stamps they don't even check, they just give it to you.

Dana

...I'm really dreading January. That is when the extended emergency UC programme ends. There is a lot of concern here in Oregon that over 77,000 will lose benefits while still having no job prospects in sight. Not sure what to do.

Looks like I could very well be getting a shiny new shopping trolley, and a cardboard condo under the Burnside Bridge for Christmas this year.

Oh man praying it doesn't come to that *hugs*

edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    DanaTA said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    DanaTA said:
    Frank0314 said:

Dana

Dana

Well, I'm out of thoughts, then. But if you end up out on the street, how is that better than going somewhere warmer out on the street? I hope you can get something going for you.

Dana

hopefully higher taxes = available social services for rent and food.

edited December 1969

not everything needs a texture template, right?

i did one branch of a flake and uvmapped it. then duplicated the branch to finish the flake. so the branches aren't arranged separately for an image map.

edited December 2013

not everything needs a texture template, right?

i did one branch of a flake and uvmapped it. then duplicated the branch to finish the flake. so the branches aren't arranged separately for an image map.

The OBJ format lets you write multiple UV maps for the one model, like head, arm, leg etc. YOu can also use one UV map for multiple parts of a model, assuming those parts are identical. Mirrored parts aren't identical. Hope helps :)

Post edited by ps1borg on
  • starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited December 2013

Observation: this bridge set by Art Collaborations has many vertices, triangles and faces.

Edit: the name of the bridge is Secluded Rendezvous

Genesis_bridge.jpg
    640 x 394 - 92K
    Post edited by starionwolf on
    edited December 2013

IceScribe said:
    ps1borg said:
    IceScribe said:
    My complaint. Laptop computer no longer recognizes the power cord that came with it, so it won't recharge the battery. The cord apparently has lost its grabbiness and just falls out of the laptop. So does my hubby's identical powercord, just falls out with the slightest movement.

No complaint. But, my hubby's identical laptop will recharge my battery, so it's within the laptop where the grabbing/charging no longer occurs. His battery is now in my puter, and so I can use it.

Gonna be nice and chilly tonight in the Los Angeles area maybe 36F. After a summer that seemed to last for a year, it's a relief.

Output of entiire industrialised world bought undone by a fraying power chord *facepalm* :lol:

DRy heat for us today

Certainly in this part of the industrialized world, production ceased, with a lot of loud and critical commentary and some loud shouts of disbelief at the cost of replacing said cord, and or said battery from said hubby. All is well now, as we are successful with the battery switching and production will resume with new goodies obtained from the low low low sale from DAZ for items that will run in my old versions of Studio (3 and 4).

It's finally raining where I am, near Los Angeles! Yay! Not very cold either. Thermometer outside says 50F. The rain is polite. It drips, then stops, drips, stops. All day, easy to step outside and not get soaked. Complaint: Barely enough to soak the ground beyond a thin layer. We have a municipal water use surcharge, so neighbors simply stopped watering, and so many trees have withered to death in our neighborhood from lack of water. We had some good rains a few years ago, but that was El Nino effect which I guess has left. Our ancient floor heater was replaced by a craftsman who still knows how to install such ancient devices, a new one which was off by 1.5 inches, but he made it fit. Toasty! Our fireplace is unuseable after an earthquake which left the chimney stable, but cracked the fire resistant brick lining. Cost at time of estimate was $10K. It's probably 3x that by now. It looks lovely with a a pair of andirons, and a votive candle, total cost about $5.

I think the El Nino oscillation means when it rains here it is dry there and vice-versa. We just had fifteen years of dry, our turn to be wet now, they don't call us the land of drought and flooding rains for nothing. But we don't get earthquakes, we missed the Pacific ring of fire by a thousand miles or so phew, our wild fires are ebil enough :lol:

Post edited by ps1borg on
    edited December 1969

IceScribe said:
    Getting a job seems to have all sorts of ridiculous hurdles these days. I remember just walking with the want-ad in the paper to my prospective place of employment, and getting hired, starting the next Monday. My granddaughter just got her first job---at a 99cent store! She's graduating with honors from high school, but that's who was hiring in her neighborhood that wasn't a food service job. She's a cashier, and learning to stock shelves. It's valuable experience, but jeeze, I had hoped for better for my descendants! My hubby decided to try for a job at the airport. He passed the tests, he passed the interviews, he met all the criteria, he was on the list. Then he got a notice that he could not fill the position---because he had a tattoo on his hand! Don't those guys wear gloves anyway? It's a tiny silly thing compared to today's taste in tats, barely noticeable, and of course a bandaid or a glove would have solved the problem. But he qualified in all the other stuff, but was really on the truth of it, too old. They are not allowed to say that or use that as a consideration. But I ask yez, in the city of Los Angeles, at the airport, what are the odds that others have more vibrant, more coverage, more controversial, or just more tats? He was just too old, and so am I. Today's employers can choose among younger people who don't remember days off, paid holidays, dental, vision and medical benefits, overtime pay, bonuses, and regular 40hours work week, are more credentialed, and more likely to go with the flow, as we used to say.

Meh I hate that discrimination but it seems things are the same all over, is a common complaint here as well :(

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 6,995
    edited December 1969

So I'm sitting here reading this thread because I'm curious what you all have been up to lately... Well, that and I got bored waiting for a render to complete...
    Yeah... so I'm just sitting here and I start to feel itchy... like I have little hairs tickling me...
    I scratch my arm.. my forehead... my neck...
    nothing too odd...
    But after a while it keeps happening...
    Only now it starts to feel like something is walking on me...
    lots of somethings...
    I turn the light on and find hundreds of little spiderlings all over me (mostly me), my desk and my keyboard.

Thank you mother nature for sharing your wonder and beauty...
    Now get it the hell off of me.

Just though I'd share that with those of you with arachnophobia.

Sleep well.

edited December 1969

winter hasn't even started yet. not even the shortest day of the year yet. yet we're closer to the sun. north america is on the shorter wobble?

playin with my boyds faeries music box. one plays the tea for two song and ... one is 'thats what friends are for'.
    wined wined ... duhruhduh duhruhduh

Storm is passing over, early afternoon here and getting real dark already and a hot north wind blowing fat raindrops all over :)

ww.png
    215 x 169 - 17K
    edited December 1969

So I'm sitting here reading this thread because I'm curious what you all have been up to lately... Well, that and I got bored waiting for a render to complete...
    Yeah... so I'm just sitting here and I start to feel itchy... like I have little hairs tickling me...
    nothing too odd...
    lots of somethings...
    I turn the light on and find hundreds of little spiderlings all over me (mostly me), my desk and my keyboard.

Sleep well.

hehe just so long as there isn't one of those fat hairy ones sitting somewhere nearby.... :lol: :lol:

• atticanneatticanne Posts: 3,009
    edited December 1969

nothing too odd...
    lots of somethings...

Sleep well.

That's WAY too much information. I'm not arachnophobic, but I'm already started scratching. If I can't sleep tonight, I'll get you-- and your little dog too.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,063
    edited December 1969

nothing too odd...
    lots of somethings...

Sleep well.

You're mean! I don't have that problem, though. I like spiders...though maybe not that much. :) I saw a thing on the weather channel dot com today about a town where there was major flooding. Afterwards there was what appeared to be snow all over. It looked like a blanket of snow in the picture. But it was spider webs...thousands and thousands of them. :bug:

Dana

• M F MM F M Posts: 1,388
    edited December 2013

Wow new thread, and already page 8 O.o... hey y'all (^_^)n.

No sign of Teh Loach yet?

Post edited by M F M on
  • starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited December 1969

Hi M F M, we were wondering where you were.

I just noticed that Victoria 5 comes with different breast shapes.

breast_shape.jpg
    800 x 470 - 126K
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 10,991
    edited December 1969

Messing about with morph sliders and Genesis 1.

2a.jpg
    1332 x 800 - 242K
    edited December 1969

DanaTA said:
    nothing too odd...
    lots of somethings...

Sleep well.

You're mean! I don't have that problem, though. I like spiders...though maybe not that much. :) I saw a thing on the weather channel dot com today about a town where there was major flooding. Afterwards there was what appeared to be snow all over. It looked like a blanket of snow in the picture. But it was spider webs...thousands and thousands of them. :bug:

Dana

So what do you call that, a swarm of spiders? Blanket doesn't sound important enough. Swarm of spiders? Like swarms of goblins in the Hobbit movie?

edited December 1969

M F M said:
    Wow new thread, and already page 8 O.o... hey y'all (^_^)n.

No sign of Teh Loach yet?

*waves* meh give it some time :)

edited December 1969

tjohn said:
    Messing about with morph sliders and Genesis 1.

Is with the basic head morphs ?

This discussion has been closed.