The Can’t Find Anything When You Need It Complaint Thread.

1356750

Comments

  • MystarraMystarra Posts: 31,938
    edited December 1969

    tjohn said:
    my bubby wee weed on my avengers blanket. he managed to grab it while i was at work yesterday.
    i needed to go to laundry mat anyhoos


    wuh oh i better hurry, forecasts snow accumulates before turning to rain.


    Hope he didn't get any on the Hulk. You wouldn't like him when he's angry. :)

    hulk cheers up when you ask him to smash. :)

  • starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,228
    edited December 1969

    I was thinking of moving to Minneapolis, MN to live with my cousin but then I saw the weather forcast for this week. Minneapolis and St. Paul are cold during the winter.

    Minneapolis_weather.jpg
    502 x 494 - 48K
  • MystarraMystarra Posts: 31,938
    edited December 1969

    I was thinking of moving to Minneapolis, MN to live with my cousin but then I saw the weather forcast for this week. Minneapolis and St. Paul are cold during the winter.

    lucky those are F degrees. C degrees would be even colder. :lol:

  • MystarraMystarra Posts: 31,938
    edited December 1969

    labor of luv,

    gotta focus this weekend to finish projects for the faeriewylde solstice freebie festival.

    doh. >.< i was trying to make the whole head mat 16Kpx, i only need to gigantos the lip area. old age moment.

  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 31,156
    edited December 1969

    tjohn said:

    ...nice role reversal. Definitely has the style.
  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 10,821
    edited December 1969

    I was thinking of moving to Minneapolis, MN to live with my cousin but then I saw the weather forcast for this week. Minneapolis and St. Paul are cold during the winter.

    It's 11F here atm

  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 31,156
    edited December 1969

    ps1borg said:
    The Hobbit is on TV. There are many goblins. A goblin horde? They look like ants in some cavernous settings. Is there a horde of ants? Thought it was an ant swarm but swarm of goblins doesn't have a ring to it.

    Goblin horde? Reminds me of World of Warcraft. lol. I hate the last bosses on the lost isle. I can't defeat the huge turtle in the volcano. Ugg. The goblin boss is tough too.

    I found some jobs in sunny San Francisco and San Jose. I might move to California where the weather is nicer than Baltimore/Washington.
    ..some food for thought.

    SF, while beautiful and boasts a very good transit system, also has a very high cost of living,. It is often not very warm there either, I've been to Giant's game at the old "Stick" (Candlestick Park) and had to wear a heavy jacket...in July/August. The city also is prone to fog.and occasional earthquakes.

    San Jose has a nice climate but not a very large industrial base.

    Then there's taxes. In California you not only have Federal income tax but State income, as well as State, County, and sometimes City sales taxes to deal with. In spite of this the state and some cities seem to always be in some sort of financial crisis. California has both the highest state income and sales tax rates in the nation.

    Finally, the "real" unemployment rate (not what the Labour Department tells us),the second highest in the nation next to Nevada, at around 18 - 19%.(Oregon is right behind at 17%). Maryland is at about 12%.

    Arizona is not that great either. at about 15 - 16% with no real industrial base or focus. The best places are unfortunately the worst weather-wise, the Dakotas, Nebraska, and Wyoming, all under 10% with North Dakota having the lowest rate at about 6%.

  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 11,299
    edited December 1969

    Kyoto Kid said:
    ps1borg said:
    The Hobbit is on TV. There are many goblins. A goblin horde? They look like ants in some cavernous settings. Is there a horde of ants? Thought it was an ant swarm but swarm of goblins doesn't have a ring to it.

    Goblin horde? Reminds me of World of Warcraft. lol. I hate the last bosses on the lost isle. I can't defeat the huge turtle in the volcano. Ugg. The goblin boss is tough too.

    I found some jobs in sunny San Francisco and San Jose. I might move to California where the weather is nicer than Baltimore/Washington.


    ..some food for thought.

    SF, while beautiful and boasts a very good transit system, also has a very high cost of living,. It is often not very warm there either, I've been to Giant's game at the old "Stick" (Candlestick Park) and had to wear a heavy jacket...in July/August. The city also is prone to fog.and occasional earthquakes.

    San Jose has a nice climate but not a very large industrial base.

    Then there's taxes. In California you not only have Federal income tax but State income, as well as State, County, and sometimes City sales taxes to deal with. In spite of this the state and some cities seem to always be in some sort of financial crisis. California has both the highest state income and sales tax rates in the nation.

    Finally, the "real" unemployment rate (not what the Labour Department tells us),the second highest in the nation next to Nevada, at around 18 - 19%.(Oregon is right behind at 17%). Maryland is at about 12%.

    Arizona is not that great either. at about 15 - 16% with no real industrial base or focus. The best places are unfortunately the worst weather-wise, the Dakotas, Nebraska, and Wyoming, all under 10% with North Dakota having the lowest rate at about 6%.

    But what are the populations of those states?

    Dana

  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 10,821
    edited December 1969

    We're at about 14% for unemployment

  • starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,228
    edited December 2013

    DanaTA said:
    But what are the populations of those states?

    Dana

    At least Omaha, Nebraska has a big airport. The census gives the population of Nebraska in 2010 as 1,826,341 people.

    Edit: I pressed submit too soon. Washington National Airport has one non-stop flight to Omaha the takes 3 hours.

    Post edited by starionwolf on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 31,156
    edited December 1969

    I was thinking of moving to Minneapolis, MN to live with my cousin but then I saw the weather forcast for this week. Minneapolis and St. Paul are cold during the winter.

    ...unemployment there is about the same as Maryland.

    Taxes are also high with Minnesota ranked in the top ten states with the heaviest tax burden.

  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 11,299
    edited December 1969

    OK, just checked:
    California: 38,041,430
    Nebraska: 1,855,525
    No. Dakota: 699,628
    So. Dakota: 833,354
    Wyoming: 576,412

    New York City: 8,336,697

    NYC has more people than Nebraksa, No. Dakota, So. Dakota and Wyoming combined!

    If Wyoming has just over a half million people and they still can't all get jobs, that doesn't say much about the desirability of living there. Massachusetts has 6,646,144 people and I think they just said last night that the unemployment rate here is about 7%. If we had 3 million people, we'd be looking for workers out of state.

    And honestly, I don't think the job availability here is that great, really. I wonder how many of the jobs created involve fries or sweeping the floor.

    Dana

  • daveleitzdaveleitz Posts: 459
    edited December 1969

    I was thinking of moving to Minneapolis, MN to live with my cousin but then I saw the weather forcast for this week. Minneapolis and St. Paul are cold during the winter.

    lucky those are F degrees. C degrees would be even colder. :lol:

    0 deg C is 32 deg F. The formula is C=( F - 32 ) * 5 / 9. So, if the high temp is 5 F, then 5-32=-27. -27/9=-3. -3*5=-15 degrees Celcius. I generally keep my thermostat set at 20 C in the Winter. That's 68 F.

  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 11,299
    edited December 1969

    It's 41F here right now. Not bad. But the ice man cometh. Hopefully he won't stay long.

    Dana

  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 10,821
    edited December 1969

    It's getting even colder for tonight and tomorrow

  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 31,156
    edited December 1969

    DanaTA said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    ps1borg said:
    The Hobbit is on TV. There are many goblins. A goblin horde? They look like ants in some cavernous settings. Is there a horde of ants? Thought it was an ant swarm but swarm of goblins doesn't have a ring to it.

    Goblin horde? Reminds me of World of Warcraft. lol. I hate the last bosses on the lost isle. I can't defeat the huge turtle in the volcano. Ugg. The goblin boss is tough too.

    I found some jobs in sunny San Francisco and San Jose. I might move to California where the weather is nicer than Baltimore/Washington.


    ..some food for thought.

    SF, while beautiful and boasts a very good transit system, also has a very high cost of living,. It is often not very warm there either, I've been to Giant's game at the old "Stick" (Candlestick Park) and had to wear a heavy jacket...in July/August. The city also is prone to fog.and occasional earthquakes.

    San Jose has a nice climate but not a very large industrial base.

    Then there's taxes. In California you not only have Federal income tax but State income, as well as State, County, and sometimes City sales taxes to deal with. In spite of this the state and some cities seem to always be in some sort of financial crisis. California has both the highest state income and sales tax rates in the nation.

    Finally, the "real" unemployment rate (not what the Labour Department tells us),the second highest in the nation next to Nevada, at around 18 - 19%.(Oregon is right behind at 17%). Maryland is at about 12%.

    Arizona is not that great either. at about 15 - 16% with no real industrial base or focus. The best places are unfortunately the worst weather-wise, the Dakotas, Nebraska, and Wyoming, all under 10% with North Dakota having the lowest rate at about 6%.

    But what are the populations of those states?

    Dana
    ...exactly. the primary metro areas in each of these states are small in comparison to California, with Omaha being he largest. A major portion of these states' economy is still agriculturally driven. Not a lot of people flocking there looking for a "better life". California has been seen as the "golden state" and a land of opportunity for decades. Even though the state is teetering on the verge of bankruptcy these days, that image still persists, both here and abroad.

  • starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,228
    edited December 1969

    Just out of curiosity, I'm going to look for some technical jobs in Omaha.

  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 10,821
    edited December 1969

    We have cheap living here so in turns we have jobs that pay for shit just to make it fair

  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 31,156
    edited December 2013

    DanaTA said:
    OK, just checked:
    California: 38,041,430
    Nebraska: 1,855,525
    No. Dakota: 699,628
    So. Dakota: 833,354
    Wyoming: 576,412

    New York City: 8,336,697

    NYC has more people than Nebraksa, No. Dakota, So. Dakota and Wyoming combined!

    If Wyoming has just over a half million people and they still can't all get jobs, that doesn't say much about the desirability of living there. Massachusetts has 6,646,144 people and I think they just said last night that the unemployment rate here is about 7%. If we had 3 million people, we'd be looking for workers out of state.

    And honestly, I don't think the job availability here is that great, really. I wonder how many of the jobs created involve fries or sweeping the floor.

    Dana


    ...and the published unemployment rate is based primarily on those who file for UC benefits (whether accepted or denied) vs those who are "employed" according to the Labour Department . The real unemployment rate also takes into account factors like those who's benefits have expired, who have been out of the workplace over a year, those who are underemployed (working less than full time and not making a livable income), seasonal workers, and those who have become discouraged and stopped looking.

    For example the Federal unemployment rate for Oregon is listed as 7.7% while the "real" rate is closer to 17%.

    Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 11,299
    edited December 1969

    Just out of curiosity, I'm going to look for some technical jobs in Omaha.

    Good luck!

    Dana

  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 11,299
    edited December 1969

    Frank0314 said:
    We have cheap living here so in turns we have jobs that pay for shit just to make it fair

    It's probably the other way around.

    Dana

  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 11,299
    edited December 1969

    Kyoto Kid said:
    ...not making a livable income

    That probably describes a good portion of the population.

    I'm well aware of the real unemployment rate scenario.

    Where one of my sisters lives, way...way...way up in Maine, unemployment is so bad that when you apply for food stamps they don't even check, they just give it to you.

    Dana

  • MystarraMystarra Posts: 31,938
    edited December 1969

    I was thinking of moving to Minneapolis, MN to live with my cousin but then I saw the weather forcast for this week. Minneapolis and St. Paul are cold during the winter.

    lucky those are F degrees. C degrees would be even colder. :lol:

    0 deg C is 32 deg F. The formula is C=( F - 32 ) * 5 / 9. So, if the high temp is 5 F, then 5-32=-27. -27/9=-3. -3*5=-15 degrees Celcius. I generally keep my thermostat set at 20 C in the Winter. That's 68 F.

    it's the part after subtract 32 is the confusing part. sad but true

    my therm is at 68 too. :) drafty brr shvrr

  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 31,156
    edited December 2013

    DanaTA said:
    Frank0314 said:
    We have cheap living here so in turns we have jobs that pay for [%@!*] just to make it fair

    It's probably the other way around.

    Dana
    ...we have primarily low wage service jobs here in Portland, yet the cost of living for just about everything, from food to rent, to utilities, to transit is much higher than the means of the average worker.

    In recent years the have been huge increases in our water and sewer rates, rubbish service was scaled back to collection every two weeks instead of weekly while rates went up, transit fares have increased (by nearly 100% in the last ten years) while bus service has been reduced, and rents just keep skyrocketing as it has become a landlord's market with no rent controls. It seems every week I go to the market, the average prices across the board jump 5 - 9¢.

    A lot of it has to do with the national image of being""progressive" the city keeps promoting. They tout the high end tech jobs, the shiny new light rail trains and streetcars, the gentrified neighbourhoods, and gleaming new condo developments while pushing the the "less fortunate" out to the "slurbs" (a combination of "suburb" and "slum").

    So sometimes just having a lot of "crap" jobs doesn't necessarily mean you'll find better prices at the market.

    Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,228
    edited December 1969

    I wanted to go outside today but it was windy. Now the wind is calm but it is dark outside. Ah, life in the Mid-Atlantic region of the U.S.A. :) I still want to move to a place that is warm in the winter.

  • TjohnTjohn Posts: 10,064
    edited December 1969

    ps1borg said:
    hehe great something with tentacles is heading their way?

    Jaderail said:
    You go GUY who claims to be Tjohn.

    ...nice role reversal. Definitely has the style.

    Thank you! Appreciated. :)

  • MystarraMystarra Posts: 31,938
    edited December 1969

    my fall back job used to be data entry someone had to type in addresses for the cabbage patch dolls birthday card,

    there's no data entry jobs last few times i checked.

    y'know wuz funny, i've seen people with no computer skills snow their way into MIS management positions, and the people with real skills who don't or 'refuse to' shmooze their way in

  • frank0314frank0314 Posts: 10,821
    edited December 1969

    DanaTA said:
    Frank0314 said:
    We have cheap living here so in turns we have jobs that pay for shit just to make it fair

    It's probably the other way around.

    Dana

    Compared to other places the cost of living is cheap here. The wages are crap compared to the rest of the country. Even a broke ass can get by here if you try. As long as you have a job at a fast food restaurant you can get a place here. You won't be able to pay for anything else. our.

  • TjohnTjohn Posts: 10,064
    edited December 1969

    Jaderail said:
    Tjohn turned into Curly? I need more and better meds to deal with that.

    I once told you I was a shapeshifter (albeit a lame one that could only turn into a squirrel); I just been working on my skills...now I can change into anything a bit nuts. %-P
    Woob woob woob!
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 11,299
    edited December 1969

    Kyoto Kid said:
    DanaTA said:
    Frank0314 said:
    We have cheap living here so in turns we have jobs that pay for [%@!*] just to make it fair

    It's probably the other way around.

    Dana


    ...we have primarily low wage service jobs here in Portland, yet the cost of living for just about everything, from food to rent, to utilities, to transit is much higher than the means of the average worker.

    In recent years the have been huge increases in our water and sewer rates, rubbish service was scaled back to collection every two weeks instead of weekly while rates went up, transit fares have increased (by nearly 100% in the last ten years) while bus service has been reduced, and rents just keep skyrocketing as it has become a landlord's market with no rent controls. It seems every week I go to the market, the average prices across the board jump 5 - 9¢.

    A lot of it has to do with the national image of being""progressive" the city keeps promoting. They tout the high end tech jobs, the shiny new light rail trains and streetcars, the gentrified neighbourhoods, and gleaming new condo developments while pushing the the "less fortunate" out to the "slurbs" (a combination of "suburb" and "slum").

    So sometimes just having a lot of "crap" jobs doesn't necessarily mean you'll find better prices at the market.

    Judging by everything you've said about your area over the past few months, I find it odd that you aren't trying like hell to move away from there. I think you've already stated that you have no family keeping you there, or am I wrong? It sounds like it's time to get the hell out of Dodge. You'd probably have better luck with a job search elsewhere, too. And if you go somewhere that isn't as wet as it always seems to be there, you'd be in less pain, too.

    Dana

This discussion has been closed.