Comments

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,954

Horo- another outstanding render beautiful material and lighting

akmerlow - thanks

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069

mermaid - thank you.

edited October 2019

A still using a file from the Vegetation set from David and Horo.

rootex.jpg
    650 x 650 - 204K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
    edited October 2019

mermaid - lovely, very calming image.

Another landscape, the material partly mixed and partly made myself. I wanted to do a spherical panorama. The interactive pano (HTML/JavaScript and Flash) on my website.

Eroded Mountains

Eroded Mountains Panorama

ErodedMountains.jpg
    1200 x 765 - 272K
    ErodedMountainsPanp.jpg
    1200 x 600 - 140K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited October 2019

Wow, such excellent images. I've really enjoyed viewing them. Especially the landscapes and abstracts.

I’ve been working on this for some time but could never get the lighting quite right. Anyway, this is another one of my old meets new themed images.

Title: “More Tea Miss?”

Content from DAZ3D and posed/staged in DS 4.6. A couple of bits and pieces modeled in Modo. Rendered  in B7.1 at 32 RPP, TA enabled. Illuminated by the sun and Sky IBL. About 6 jours to render.

Thanks for taking a look!

more_tea.jpg
    1250 x 750 - 277K
    Post edited by Dan Whiteside on

Dan - very well done scene, nice idea, too.

• adbcadbc Posts: 3,076

mermaid : very nice still.

Horo : beautiful landscape, awesome sky.

Dan Whiteside : Nice and very detailed scene.

• SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911

Wow, such excellent images. I've really enjoyed viewing them. Especially the landscapes and abstracts.

I’ve been working on this for some time but could never get the lighting quite right. Anyway, this is another one of my old meets new themed images.

Title: “More Tea Miss?”

Content from DAZ3D and posed/staged in DS 4.6. A couple of bits and pieces modeled in Modo. Rendered  in B7.1 at 32 RPP, TA enabled. Illuminated by the sun and Sky IBL. About 6 jours to render.

Thanks for taking a look!

The lighting is almost excellent. Only the right side of the face is not lit. Maybe you need a radial source to the left of the camera and without shadows?

Horo - thanks awesome landscape and panorama, I couldn't find this particular interactive one but viewed some others, It's always fun to visit your site.

Dan Whiteside - beautiful scene, lighting is good.

Adbc - thanks

adbc - thank you.

mermaid - thank you. Gallery > Gallery 2 > Panoramas

Thanks Horo, I'll check again

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,750
    edited October 2019

adbc: Fantastic abstract with wonderful colours. I thought it was some kind of insect.

Horo: Great landscapes again. Lovely colours in the strange one with fire in the background.

Mermaid: Very nice still life.

Dan Whiteside: Great scene, very craftfully made and wonderful textures. 

adbc, Mermaid, Akmerlow: Thanks

I tried my hand again at volumetric cloud planes. I put some mountains in the background to reduce render time. But the result is that some clouds before the mountains are very white. Anybody know why this happens?

Lighting is  with the sun and IBL from the sky. The cloud-plane is excluded from the IBL.

cloudstut3.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 1M
    Post edited by Hansmar on
  • akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124

Dan Whiteside:

Very nice fusion of traditional aristocracy and modernization (a bit retro-futuristic, perhaps). Nicely assembled scene that tells a story. Though, i want to ask if the material on columns is image-based? I see nice reinvigorating details (cracks and moss), but when looking image in fullsize i get impression that texture is slightly low resolution. Anyway, i enjoy tranquility and serenity of moment.

Hansmar - thank you. Move the cloud slab up so it is over the mountains and adjust haze.

Lately was following tutorials (if you need to know, author of lessons is Iris Ogli, they are on youtube) on polygonal modelling in other software, but then exporting results into Bryce, though i had to convert subdivisions into polys in some cases.

With this well i had problem that normals were inverted, but as Slepalex advised me, that was fixed through edit - smooth mesh. With these materials well looks like smth from 90s, forgive me :(

Looks cool textureless with ibl light, though, huh :)

Simple cartoonish tree.

Sofa. I took "alligator skin" material from bryce library and adjusted it, hopefully looks fitting.

Hot Air Balloon. I'll need to learn how to make gas-jet for it. Also looking for advice on rope material... though i admit that my ropes look more like frames due to hardness...

Opened book. Tried to do paper more believable through bump, but i see some visual artifacts (those circular things... aaaah >_< )

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241
    akmerlow said:

Opened book. Tried to do paper more believable through bump, but i see some visual artifacts (those circular things... aaaah >_< )

I'm not sure of the solution to eliminate the moiré pattern, but do you get a fix or any good or bad changes if you make a large change to the resolution of the material you used?  (Material lab, transformation tools, top group of XYZ values, make them much larger to make your material detail much finer)

akmerlow said:

Moire is a property of procedural textures, since they have repetitions. You just need to reduce the repetition rate in Edit Texture or DTE. And it turns out like here https://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/23343.
    Does the book model have a UV scan?

akmerlow said:

Sofa. I took "alligator skin" material from bryce library and adjusted it, hopefully looks fitting.

The texture of the sofa looks very good.

akmerlow - very nice examples. Moiré is an interference of the pattern with the display resolution. Either change the frequency of the pattern a bit or try render with a higher anti-aliasing setting.

Hansmar - thanks, the clouds are looking nice, but I did not notice the mountains till I read your comment.

akmerlow  - awesome examples of modeling.

Hansmar : thank you. Great clouds, I would follow Horo's advice.

akmerlow : very good experiments with materials and modeling.

edited October 2019

Another landscape (actually the one above but inverted and a Mordor in the back), the material partly mixed and partly made by myself.

Rocks and Pasture

Rocks and pasture Anaglyph

RocksAndPasture.jpg
    1200 x 765 - 186K
    RocksAndPastureAna.jpg
    1200 x 765 - 269K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited October 2019

sriesch:
    Thanks, i did material frequency higher because i thought that paper grains are very small.

Slepalex:
    In your example (by the way, very funny and creative composition you did!), it looks like squared notebook, which is nice; while i thought about paper itself showing it's texture/structure, not printed lines. Like this:

And thanks for kind words about sofa. As for UV for book, i haven't done it yet. I agree it might be needed for parts where many pages are together as one mesh, that part need different material than separate pages.

Horo:
    Thanks. Changing AA rays doesn't seem to help, but increasing AA radius and choosing EAA renderer makes it look a bit less pronounced.

mermaid010, adbc - thank you.

Post edited by akmerlow on
  • Hi, long-time Bryce user here (going back to Bryce 4).  In striving for more realistic lighting, I've taken to overlaying several renders with different settings using Horo's Drawing Effects pdf (Reflection, Specular, and TA with scatter for some image noise).  The first is a normal render, white lights in a neutral environment to emulate a photoroom.  The second is the composite, which has deeper shadows and is not so hazy (even though there is no haze in the original).  Thoughts?

covers_render.jpg
    800 x 458 - 126K
    covers_composite.jpg
    800 x 458 - 155K

Horo - beautiful landscapes especially the anaglyph

akmerlow  - looking nice, I leave the advice to the experts.

collinsc - welcome to the forum, nice work I like the 2nd one more because of the grainy effect.

Horo : Awesome landscape and anaglyph.

akmerlow : like mermaid, I leave the advice to the experts. looks great.

collinsc : Very good work.

collinsc - welcome to the forum, good to see you using Bryce. Nice renders, which one is better? Difficult to say without knowing what your goal was. The left/first one is very clean and a bit sterile, the second one has better contrast and looks a bit more realistic.

mermaid - thank you.

adbc - thank you.

edited October 2019

Two Scherk-Collins sculptures made in Sculpture Generator and converted in MeshLab lit by reflection from the HDRI. Thanks to akmerlow for mentioning Sculpture Generator, which I had installed years ago but never used.

SCS19

SCS19.jpg
    1200 x 780 - 202K
    Post edited by Horo on

Horo - outstanding render and beautiful objects.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,750
    edited October 2019
    Horo said:

Hansmar - thank you. Move the cloud slab up so it is over the mountains and adjust haze.

Horo, thanks. Yes, I thought about moving the slab up. Apparently where the slag and the mountains are too close, they interfere. I am struggling with the haze, because I tested many settings, but still have this band (though not always extremely visible). Any idea about that?

And your landscape is very nice. I like that texture. The abstracts are very colourful.

Akmerlow: good modeling, nice examples. Texture of the sofa is very good.

Collinsc. Welcome in the forums. Nice renders. I think the first one indeed looks a little 'flat', but the second one a tiny bit on the dark side (due to the very dark cover of the left DVD, I guess). Did you put the shadow setting for the sun at 100%? If not, that might explain the flat look of the first one a bit.

Post edited by Hansmar on
This discussion has been closed.