Daz Studio 4.12 Pro, General Release! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited September 2019

I rolled back to 4.10 on my laptop where I do most of my set up will leave 12 on my main rendering machine for now since it does render faster. These glitches were all in 4.11 cant believe they were not addressed.

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • I was loving the Beta version because figures could be removed instantaneously from the scene, now it's taking a long time again, specially genesis 8 figures. Can someone explain why this happens?

Is a database issue? Like when they use logical or physical deletes?

It depends on what you are deleteting. Each time you delete\remove something, it gets added to the Undo stack. So, e.g. a fully Genesis 8 clothed figure with let's say fibremesh hair, will take longer to remove then a plain G8F figure as everything gets added to that stack.

• I learn from my mistakes, I will not get 4.12 just yet.

Anyone still using 3DL out there ? have you tried it, does it still work ?

I'm with you ... I use 3DL exclusively and refuse to upgrade unless all these problems are remedied and I can continue to use 3DL.

• I installed Daz 4.12, to use Face Transfer.
    With 4.12, when I render, it does not use my GPU, how to set ???
    I do not have the money to buy a new graphics card.

Windows 7. Processor i7 - GPU Asus dual-gtx 1060 6gb - 32gb RAM
    Thank you in advance for helping me. Ed

• Bobvan said:

The problems are rearing their ugly heads again. The previous action menu quickly dissapears after the camera jump problem begins again then crashes upon closing

A screen shot showing a snippet of the crash report isn't really useful - to make a bug report you need to click the Save button and then open a support ticket with the zip attached. You are welcome to post your experiences here, and to ask for help, but we are going to need a lot more information to be able to offer much.

edited September 2019

Thx Rich you been there since day 1 10 yrs ago with DS3. What is happening when I start and load the scene it works ok for a few minutes then the mouse jumping and missing action where I can only undo camera moves glitch start happening. This happened 6 times in a row even when I re started my machine. This is on an i7 win 10 1070 laptop. I simply re installed 4.10 since it does not give me issues. I had rolled back from 4.11 for the same reasons and the blurry iray preview which can still happen at times. I also have 4.12 on my 1080ti 10 core processor beast at home. I will try it later see if the same things happen. With 4.11 I had glitches on both machines which tends to tell me it's not a PC config issue...

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • decedd said:

I installed Daz 4.12, to use Face Transfer.

If you are rendering with Iray, look on the Advanced tab of the Render Settings pane. You should see the listed devices, make sure that they are checked and uncheck the CPU ones.

• Bobvan said:

Thx Rich you been there since day 1 10 yrs ago with DS3. What is happening when I start and load the scene it works ok for a few minutes then the mouse jumping and missing action where I can only undo camera moves glitch start happening. This happened 6 times in a row even when I re started my machine. This is on an i7 win 10 1070 laptop. I simply re installed 4.10 since it does not give me issues. I had rolled back from 4.11 for the same reasons and the blurry iray preview which can still happen at times. I also have 4.12 on my 1080ti 10 core processor beast at home. I will try it later see if the same things happen. With 4.11 I had glitches on both machines which tends to tell me it's not a PC config issue...

As I recall some work has been done on the mouse interaction, to deal with the issues some users were having, so it's possible there's a new conflice (though I thought most of that work was in 4.11). Since this is a laptop I'd be slightly suspicious of the trackpad driver - I had something weird a while back when trying to help my father with his laptop.

Interesting will run 12 on my beast tower & report back. If it turns out to be different I will perhap seek advice how to disable the track mouse I the laptop since I dont ever use it.

• decedd said:

If you are rendering with Iray, look on the Advanced tab of the Render Settings pane. You should see the listed devices, make sure that they are checked and uncheck the CPU ones.

Thank you, I just checked in advanced settings. Processors and GPUs are checked.
    If I uncheck the processor, Daz does not render.
    I make all my renderings in IRAY

• RayDAntRayDAnt Posts: 1,120
    Padone said:
    Diaspora said:

Wow, using an RTX 2080, I feel like I just got a free video card upgrade to a Ti or comparable, I just did some comparison renders in 4.11 and 4.12, 
    4.11 = 4 minutes and 40 seconds
    4.12 = 3 minutes and 30 seconds

A 25% reduction of render time!

Did you use optix with 4.11 ? Because optix gives exactly that, about a 20-25% more speed.

"Wow, using an RTX 2080, I feel like I just got a free video card upgrade to a Ti or comparable, I just did some comparison renders in 4.11 and 4.12, 
    A 25% reduction of render time!"

I appreciate someone posting some performance metrics for the 4.12 version.  I'm having a hard time understanding somethng though.

I was under the impression that this version of Daz/iRay had the realtime ray tracing ("RTX On", according to an Nvidia blog post a month or so ago).  Many of you may have seen this post and the short video clip from Stonemason (https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2019/08/05/daz-studio-nvidia-rtx/).  The rendering in this clip is almost instantaneous; something I would expect from realtime ray tracing.

While 3 minutes and 30 seconds is certainly an improvement from your previous render times, I don't know that it would qualify as "realtime".  I would think that an implementation of realtime ray tracing would have orders of magnitude improvement...much more than 25%.

Can someone help me understand this?  Does Daz 4.12/iRay implement the RTX realtime ray tracing (before I go out and spend a small fortune on a new RTX card)?  :D

Thank You

See this post. In the context of unbiased rendering software like Iray, realtime raytracing is technically a contradiction in terms.

• decedd said:
    decedd said:

Thank you, I just checked in advanced settings. Processors and GPUs are checked.

Please post a screenshot of the Advanced tab. Also, what is the driver version for the GTX 1060 cards?

• Just wanted to leave a comment right here that I absolute adore the IK setup - this is legit. Thanks for taking the time to implement it. It's something that was severely lacking before, and now it's just there, just like that. Keep up the good work.

• RayDAnt said:
    Padone said:
    Diaspora said:

Wow, using an RTX 2080, I feel like I just got a free video card upgrade to a Ti or comparable, I just did some comparison renders in 4.11 and 4.12, 

Did you use optix with 4.11 ? Because optix gives exactly that, about a 20-25% more speed.

"Wow, using an RTX 2080, I feel like I just got a free video card upgrade to a Ti or comparable, I just did some comparison renders in 4.11 and 4.12, 

I appreciate someone posting some performance metrics for the 4.12 version.  I'm having a hard time understanding somethng though.

I was under the impression that this version of Daz/iRay had the realtime ray tracing ("RTX On", according to an Nvidia blog post a month or so ago).  Many of you may have seen this post and the short video clip from Stonemason (https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2019/08/05/daz-studio-nvidia-rtx/).  The rendering in this clip is almost instantaneous; something I would expect from realtime ray tracing.

While 3 minutes and 30 seconds is certainly an improvement from your previous render times, I don't know that it would qualify as "realtime".  I would think that an implementation of realtime ray tracing would have orders of magnitude improvement...much more than 25%.

Can someone help me understand this?  Does Daz 4.12/iRay implement the RTX realtime ray tracing (before I go out and spend a small fortune on a new RTX card)?  :D

Thank You

See this post. In the context of unbiased rendering software like Iray, realtime raytracing is technically a contradiction in terms.

I read through that thread....the technicality of nomenclature aside, I would almost conclude that the RTX 'realtime ray tracing' was not implemented EXCEPT for that example video from Stomemason.  He is obviously able to do it, and with a 2060 at that.  :-)

I'm hoping someone from Daz can clarify this, particularly considering Nvidia is touting this example (Stonemason video) as proof of the performance increase with RTX cards on Daz Studio.  There must be a way to achieve this if there is an example video of it.

Thank You

• decedd said:
    decedd said:

Please post a screenshot of the Advanced tab. Also, what is the driver version for the GTX 1060 cards?

Here is a screenshot of the advanced settings.

The driver version for the GTX 1060 is "NVIDIA Display Driver V431.60 For WIN7 64Bit"
    Thank you for your time, and your help.

Paramètres avancés.PNG
    510 x 824 - 49K
  • decedd said:
    decedd said:
    decedd said:

The driver version for the GTX 1060 is "NVIDIA Display Driver V431.60 For WIN7 64Bit"

Ok, what happens when you uncheck both CPU options and try to render? Try something simple like a cube or a base figure. Check the log and see what it says at the end.

• decedd said:
    decedd said:
    decedd said:

Looking at the available NVIDIA downloads for Win 7x64 and GTX 1060, the latest driver version is 436.30.

• decedd said:
    decedd said:
    decedd said:

Looking at the available NVIDIA downloads for Win 7x64 and GTX 1060, the latest driver version is 436.30.

Dear DoctorJellybean.
    Thank you very much.
    I updated the GPU driver and it works now.
    I should have thought about it before ... But my problem is solved thanks to you.
    I wish you an excellent WE.
    Best regards. Ed

edited September 2019
    RayDAnt said:
    Padone said:
    Diaspora said:

Thank You

I read through that thread....the technicality of nomenclature aside, I would almost conclude that the RTX 'realtime ray tracing' was not implemented EXCEPT for that example video from Stomemason.  He is obviously able to do it, and with a 2060 at that.  :-)

If the degree of viewport performance in that short video is what counts to you as realtime raytracing (the article itself refers to it accurately as "near-real time"), then yes - Daz Studio 4.12 in its present state of development gives realtime raytracing results if you have an RTX card. I can attest to this from personal experience as I own a Titan RTX card, and I typically get the same or better viewport performance as seen in that clip.

So if that's your sole criteria for making a purchase... I'd say purchase away.

Post edited by RayDAnt on
    edited September 2019

Spot on Richard! Looks like the problems are exclusive to my laptop and not replicated on my tower. Will try disabling pad mouse. Something else I just thought of im using a logitech usb keyboard and mouse combo on the laptop will try individual mouse..Encouraging all the same!

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • RayDAnt said:
    RayDAnt said:
    Padone said:
    Diaspora said:

Thank You

If the degree of viewport performance in that short video is what counts to you as realtime raytracing (the article itself refers to it accurately as "near-real time"), then yes - Daz Studio 4.12 in its present state of development gives realtime raytracing results if you have an RTX card. I can attest to this from personal experience as I own a Titan RTX card, and I typically get the same or better viewport performance as seen in that clip.

So if that's your sole criteria for making a purchase... I'd say purchase away.

I'm guessing that the final render will take substantially longer.  :-)

• Hi, re. 4.12.0.86 Pro, the dzfacetransfer.dll doesn't load and displays this message: 
    Plugin failed to load!
    Filename : 
    C:/Program Files/DAZ 3D/DAZStudio4/plugins/dzfacetransfer.dll
    Name : 
    dzfacetransfer
    Author : 
    Unknown
    Version : 
    Reason : 
    Library could not be loaded. File is not a valid DAZ Studio plug-in, or was made for a different version of DAZ Studio.

I've updated genesis 8 female and male started essentials. What did I miss?

edited September 2019

Genesis 8 female no longer loads on my tower PC files were updates like other genesis. Edit  took approx 10 minutes or so but finally did.

Untitled.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 150K
    Post edited by Bobvan on
  • PadonePadone Posts: 3,481
    edited September 2019
    Ivy said:

OptiX brings my daz renders to a crawl

Optix is a general library for physics and Optix Prime uses optics for raytracing. The advantage is that you use the gpu to accelerate raytracing, the same as rtx does, but without rtx cores. So it is faster. The drawback is that it uses more vram since all the raytrace processing is done by cuda cores. Also of course it requires solid drivers to work properly. In my laptop where I used game drivers I often had optix reversing to cpu. In my desktop where I use creator drivers it seems optix works fine so far. In your case I suspect you have a cpu reverse, you may check the log for it.

Just to show some numbers myself, with DS 4.11 in a simple G3F scene using 512 iterations on a 1060 6GB card, I get 111 seconds without optix and 82 seconds with optix. So it's a 35% gain. Of course results may vary depending on the scene and the camera frame.

2019-09-28 08:01:31.527 Finished Rendering
    2019-09-28 08:01:31.574 Total Rendering Time: 1 minutes 50.40 seconds

2019-09-28 07:55:55.409 Finished Rendering
    2019-09-28 07:55:55.456 Total Rendering Time: 1 minutes 21.69 seconds

g3f.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 67K
    Post edited by Padone on
  • Every time i want to save a Face Transfer my DAZ Crashes - What is that all about?

What are your system specifications, and what security software are you using?

Im only using Microsoft Default Security. 

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481
    edited September 2019
    RayDAnt said:

Daz Studio 4.12 in its present state of development gives realtime raytracing results if you have an RTX card.

I see nothing in the 4.12 iray log stating that rtx cores are used for raytracing. Where did you get that info ? As I understand it rtx cores are not used yet. People here are speaking about a 25% gain in performances. But you get the same by enabling optix in 4.11 without a rtx card.

Post edited by Padone on
    edited September 2019
    Padone said:
    RayDAnt said:

Daz Studio 4.12 in its present state of development gives realtime raytracing results if you have an RTX card.

I see nothing in the 4.12 iray log stating that rtx cores are used for raytracing.

See this post about how to detect it in the log file and this thread of benchmarks demonstrating the performance difference it can make.

People here are speaking about a 25% gain in performances. But you get the same by enabling optix in 4.11 without a rtx card.

So far in my own testing with a Titan RTX the rendering performance difference going from 4.11 to 4.12 has been anywhere from about 5% faster to 1,180% (almost 12x) faster - depending on the scene - than OptiX Prime accelerated rendering due to the RTCore based raytracing acceleration going on. And that's just been my results so far in testing with scenes far below the full memory capacity/complexity that my card can handle.

Post edited by RayDAnt on
    edited September 2019

The slow loading of G8 female (approx 10 minutes) is on both machines so prolly updated files ticket submitted.. Edit resolved cam issue on laptop either by disabling pad finger mouse or DS 4.12 re install.

Post edited by Bobvan on
  • Padone said:
    RayDAnt said:

I see nothing in the 4.12 iray log stating that rtx cores are used for raytracing. Where did you get that info ? As I understand it rtx cores are not used yet. People here are speaking about a 25% gain in performances. But you get the same by enabling optix in 4.11 without a rtx card.

The DS 4.12.x.x version(s) of iray have RTX support.

edited September 2019

This is rearing it's ugly head again nother ticket submitted..Edit the mouse problem comes back but if I avoid using the wheel and use navigators in lieu seems ok

Untitled.jpg
    1920 x 942 - 665K
    Post edited by Bobvan on