Daz Studio 4.12 Pro, General Release! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• You'll have to contact Customer Services

https://www.daz3d.com/help/help-contact-us

Thank you kindly. Though I have absolutely no idea why that happened.

• It appears that DAZ 3D is still under a utilization load issue.  My Day Job is I work for one of the World's Largest CDN (Content Delivery Network) and DDoS Mitigation companies.  This is causing intermittent issues with even the login processes on DAZ Studio software which makes calls out to the same servers.  My guess is the release of DAZ Studio 4.12 and everyone trying to upgrade their copy is causing havoc on their server farm.  Honestly, the software is probably not properly distributed onto a CDN backbone or the SLA purchased to support this has been exceeded.

Pulling down the 500 Mb file is acting similiar to what you would see when a company comes under a Distributed Denial of Service attack which is why we are getting weird errors.  I hope they extend the discounts in the store for the items they have today accordingly since I am having problems placing orders for things I really want that got released today and using the special discount code on older items.

• marble said:

Well, didn't take long (about an hour) for my first 4.12 crash ... This is the beta but I understand the General Release is the same version.

There isn't enough information there - if it happens again please use the Save button and open a Technical Support ticket with the saved report attached.

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652

Where are the undo actions? I can ni longer undo things like a pose or texture applied?

• Bobvan said:

Where are the undo actions? I can ni longer undo things like a pose or texture applied?

Both working for me.

• Bobvan said:

Undo how? If the menu has broken, pass, but if it's just ctrl/cmd Z that isn't working you may just need to reload your actions or layout.

Too doo to doo to doo to doo. (Twilight Zone theme music) I just restarted my Laptop that DS is on and now all is working including the iray preview which was also all blurred when this was happening..Again it all seems intermittent..

• Here is a big problem that is still holding daz from becoming a major player; I try to use it to animate, and everytime it gets so slow, so i hide the clothings and all, but doesn't affect anything, and WHEN I DELETE the clothes, IT GETS SUPERFAST. Daz should not calculate geometry that is hidden, it kills the viewport speed !!

• aniani02 said:

Here is a big problem that is still holding daz from becoming a major player; I try to use it to animate, and everytime it gets so slow, so i hide the clothings and all, but doesn't affect anything, and WHEN I DELETE the clothes, IT GETS SUPERFAST. Daz should not calculate geometry that is hidden, it kills the viewport speed !!

Try hiding the items before switching to the Iray viewport.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,133
    edited September 2019

Congratulations Daz Guys.

This your best version of Daz Studio to date,. I just finished a HUGE promotional project today, with dozens of high end renders using this new release, . not one crash or anything buggy happened the whole session. and i was running max resources to boot.

I am very impressed .

Post edited by Ivy on
  • ugh. Working on a 2012 Macbook, just upgraded to Daz 4.12, and... it's unusable. I can't access ANY toolbars or menus because the entire top portion of the screen goes to this graphic glitchy mess. You know what windows do, when you are having problems and it copies the same menu screen several times when you try to drag it? It's like that, only just across the top, where the menus and dropdown are, and it blocks them out completely. I can click them- but because I can't see what they are, it doesn't do me any good. I think I have to backtrack to 4.11, and hope for the best. Is anyone else having this? It messes up my whole computer even after I force quit daz, forcing me to hard-reset my computer to even get my monitor back from the crashed menus.

• aniani02 said:

Here is a big problem that is still holding daz from becoming a major player; I try to use it to animate, and everytime it gets so slow, so i hide the clothings and all, but doesn't affect anything, and WHEN I DELETE the clothes, IT GETS SUPERFAST. Daz should not calculate geometry that is hidden, it kills the viewport speed !!

I believe that is because of smoothing modifiers. Lately I'm disabling all smooth modifiers during pausing and activating again only when I render. I don't remove them, just setting Enable smoothing to off. There is probably some scripts around to make this automatically but I didn't had time to search yet.

• I was loving the Beta version because figures could be removed instantaneously from the scene, now it's taking a long time again, specially genesis 8 figures. Can someone explain why this happens?

Is a database issue? Like when they use logical or physical deletes?

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,437
    Diaspora said:

Wow, using an RTX 2080, I feel like I just got a free video card upgrade to a Ti or comparable, I just did some comparison renders in 4.11 and 4.12, 
    4.11 = 4 minutes and 40 seconds
    4.12 = 3 minutes and 30 seconds

A 25% reduction of render time!

Did you use optix with 4.11 ? Because optix gives exactly that, about a 20-25% more speed.

• I am starting to learn how to use the Face Transfer in the new DAZ 4.12
    before i buy it.

Everything works fine but i keep getting this message:
    Face Transfer failed to load the base material preset.
    The image will transfer but with reduced quality!

Anybody knows why?

before i buy it.

Anybody knows why?

You need to update Genesis 8 Female Starter Essentials.

before i buy it.

Anybody knows why?

How do i do that?

before i buy it.

Anybody knows why?

How do i do that?

Well, it should show as an update in DIM (assuming it is installed). Actually, both the Male and Female packages are required.

• I Did a save of a Face Transfer figure - All seemed well until the end when DAZ crashed.

Where would i find the figure if i used the default path My Library?

I looked in the Content tab and under People - G8 male- and characthers but nothing there!

• The Female Base location (assuming the default path is used):

People\Genesis 8 Female - Genesis 8 Basic Female.duf file

and the Male Base

People\Genesis 8 Male - Genesis 8 Basic Male.duf file

If there is nothing there, load up DIM and see if it is installed.

before i buy it.

Anybody knows why?

How do i do that?

Well, it should show as an update in DIM (assuming it is installed). Actually, both the Male and Female packages are required.

Thank you for your advice- I found it and now it works without the error!

• My 3D SpinMy 3D Spin Posts: 600
    edited September 2019

Is it possible to save a characther you make with Face Transfer as a Scene subset?

Yes it does- I just tried it and it worked fine!

Post edited by My 3D Spin on
  • I was loving the Beta version because figures could be removed instantaneously from the scene, now it's taking a long time again, specially genesis 8 figures. Can someone explain why this happens?

Is a database issue? Like when they use logical or physical deletes?

Check that Draw Settings match between the two versions.

• Every time i want to save a Face Transfer my DAZ Crashes - What is that all about?

• Every time i want to save a Face Transfer my DAZ Crashes - What is that all about?

What are your system specifications, and what security software are you using?

• JesusForSinnersJesusForSinners Posts: 3
    edited September 2019
    Padone said:
    Diaspora said:

Wow, using an RTX 2080, I feel like I just got a free video card upgrade to a Ti or comparable, I just did some comparison renders in 4.11 and 4.12, 

Did you use optix with 4.11 ? Because optix gives exactly that, about a 20-25% more speed.

"Wow, using an RTX 2080, I feel like I just got a free video card upgrade to a Ti or comparable, I just did some comparison renders in 4.11 and 4.12, 
    A 25% reduction of render time!"

I appreciate someone posting some performance metrics for the 4.12 version.  I'm having a hard time understanding somethng though.

I was under the impression that this version of Daz/iRay had the realtime ray tracing ("RTX On", according to an Nvidia blog post a month or so ago).  Many of you may have seen this post and the short video clip from Stonemason (https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2019/08/05/daz-studio-nvidia-rtx/).  The rendering in this clip is almost instantaneous; something I would expect from realtime ray tracing.

While 3 minutes and 30 seconds is certainly an improvement from your previous render times, I don't know that it would qualify as "realtime".  I would think that an implementation of realtime ray tracing would have orders of magnitude improvement...much more than 25%.

Can someone help me understand this?  Does Daz 4.12/iRay implement the RTX realtime ray tracing (before I go out and spend a small fortune on a new RTX card)?  :D

Thank You

Post edited by JesusForSinners on
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,133
    edited September 2019
    Padone said:
    Diaspora said:

Really!!? , I don't doubt what your saying.. But my experience has just been the opposite, because OptiX brings my daz renders to a crawl that is using 2- 1080ti's 11.9 gig cards  i dunno if that make any difference or not because they are not RTX GPU's . but my experience with Optix Prime accelerator has been when its ticked on it slows the heck out of my render times, with no sufficient increase in quality of the render either. I found the built in denoiser to be way more effective for rendering huge scenes with better raytracing results . But I always believed the OptiX  prime was for improving raytrace not to speed up renders , so I guess I must have interpret  that information wrong.

Information source Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OptiX"
    The "NVIDIA OptiX is part of Nvidia GameWorks. OptiX is a high-level, or "to-the-algorithm" API, meaning that it is designed to encapsulate the entire algorithm of which ray tracing is a part, not just the ray tracing itself. This is meant to allow the OptiX engine to execute the larger algorithm with great flexibility for ray trace without application-side changes. 

Commonly, video games use rasterization rather than ray-tracing for their rendering.   OptiX is used to change that process algorithm

But that has just been my experience using OptiX prime acceleration ticked on. I don't know if the RTX cards make any difference in improvement of performance with it though. or if its just the RTX GPU's have a greater performance over all to begin with. 

Post edited by Ivy on
    edited September 2019

The problems are rearing their ugly heads again. The previous action menu quickly dissapears after the camera jump problem begins again then crashes upon closing

Untitled.jpg
    721 x 598 - 335K
    Post edited by Bobvan on
  • I learn from my mistakes, I will not get 4.12 just yet.

Anyone still using 3DL out there ? have you tried it, does it still work ?

• Check that Draw Settings match between the two versions.

I ended up uninstalling Beta after install the general release, but my draw settings (for Texture Shaded) are:

- Highlight Style: Bounding Box and Surface

- Bounding Box Edge Lenght: 25%

- Active Opacity: 30%

- Inactive Opacity: 100%

- Manipulation DrawStyle: Use Current(Off)

- Subdivision Updates: Delayed

- Manipulation Binding: Optimized

- Wireframe Opacity: 100%

- Subdivision Wireframe Opacity: 10%

- Triangulation  Wireframe Opacity: 0%

Which one of these attributes can affect that behaviour? I never imagined that this could be related to draw settings