Point lights

BurpeeBurpee Posts: 152
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

When I put a new point light into my scene in DS3 the light does not illuminate anything. I can see the wireframe of it and move it around but everything stays black. I don't have this issue in Bryce or Poser....you add a light, it lights up the scene. Any help with this?

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Point lights have realistic falloff (square of distance) and at default intensity don't illuminate much. I find I need to turn off limits and increase intensity to 1000% to illuminate with them.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    edited December 1969

You may also want to alter the gamma setting in Render Settings - I think it defaults to 1, which makes shadows very dark. The problem there is that many textures are made with an effective gamma correction and as a result can look washed out if you turn the setting up - unfortunately most, if not all, DS shaders fail to adjust for the gamma setting though you can make your own adjustments in Shader Mixer if you like (but just turning the intensity up may be simpler).

• BurpeeBurpee Posts: 152
    edited December 1969

Thanks both. I had looked for limits because I use falloff in Bryce so I assumed it would be in DS. I did not see where it was but I will look again since I now know it has to be there.

I have never corrected for gamma before either. I do not care for those extremely dark shadows so will look at that too. Much appreciation.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,718
    edited December 1969

Remember that true shadows will be black regardless - but areas with a little light will fade to black less quickly with a higher gamma value.