Set the Stage with the Spectacular World of Genesis - Render Thread!

Comments

• ZamuelNowZamuelNow Posts: 753
    edited December 1969

Don't know what else to do from here. I like not actually showing the danger but the scene feels a little empty.

GiaDark.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 888K
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited September 2013

ZamuelNow said:
    Don't know what else to do from here. I like not actually showing the danger but the scene feels a little empty.

Yeah, I agree. Maybe add something in the bottom right or bottom left corner? Either some sort of prop (tech rubble?) or maybe even just some colored light spilling in from somewhere out-of-frame to create a little contrast.

Nice job with Genesis Dawn. :)

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,501
    edited September 2013

...if the main light source was not behind her, you could have placed a shadow on the wall behind her of whatever she was shooting at.

Another possibility, make it appear her adversary(-ies) are using laser sights by putting a luminous red dot or two in the wall behind her in postwork. GIMP is great for that as it has light effects that would work. I've done this before.

http://kyotokid.deviantart.com/art/I-won-t-let-them-hurt-you-315170662

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited November 2013

...OK a little thread necromancy here.

Here's a scene I did for the last RRRR Challenge.

All the characters are built on Genesis "classic".

what_a_view_fina_dofl.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,659
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...OK a little thread necromancy here.

Here's a scene I did for the last RRRR Challenge.

All the characters are built on Genesis "classic".

Nice one, I like it a lot.

edited December 1969

...thanks, had lots of fun with it.

Used DarioFish's Genesis morphs for the bored tech, the caretaker, and on Mavka and and RamWorks' Fuzzy morph for the one I call "Bright Eyes".

• HellboyHellboy Posts: 1,437
    edited December 1969

Experimenting with skin shaders and lighting on Genesis.

DAZ Studio Pro 4.6 render
    No postwork

SOTO_Skin_Study_01_COLOR.jpg
    1305 x 705 - 170K
  • scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,296
    edited December 1969

Hellboy said:

No postwork

Awesome

• OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123
    edited December 1969

Hellboy said:

No postwork

OK, that will settle any arguments about 3Delight's capabilities, I think.

edited December 1969

Thank you!

Well, 3Delight is very good acually. We have to exploit it more. :)
    http://www.3delight.com/en/index.php?page=projects

edited December 1969

...but can that be done from within the framework of Daz Studio or do you need the standalone 3Delight? Pretty expensive if you want unlimited core processing.

edited December 1969

I've used DAZ Studio's standalone version before, but this one is DAZ Studio's included 3Delight.

edited December 1969

...OK, I'm impressed. What light and surface settings did you use?

edited December 2013

Texture is The FREAK 4 Skin Maps 01 by Sarsa: http://www.daz3d.com/the-freak-4-skin-maps-01
    And Brock for the FREAK 4 specular maps by Morris: http://www.daz3d.com/brock-for-the-freak-4

Lighting is UberAreaLight (one big sphere as light source) with an HDRI image called "Old industrial Hall", samples at 75 and redish colored shadows (98 59 43) and a spotlight set as specular only to accentuate the volume. Render engine set at Scripted 3Delight Point-Based Occlusion (render settings) using Clamp: On and Hit Sides: Both,

I used an old SSS preset as shader base, I don't remember if its HSS or UberSurface, 99% sure it’s the second one. 2 Specular channels for a "layer" effect on the skin. The first with a broad smooth edge and the second one with a smaller, harder edge.

Not sure about exact render time, I never look at that. Around 30 minutes, but it’s a full figure render, head to toes, I just cropped it for a last minute composition experiment, which I liked more than the full version.

Post edited by Hellboy on
  • RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited November 2013

That render is definitely one of those OMG ones,

A few moments ago, I was banging on in the HD morphs thread about nobody taking steps towards photo realism inside DS with 3Delight now Reality et al are here, and here you are doing exactly what I thought Daz weren't doing! LOL, they put everything in there, it's just up to us to eke it out and learn to use it.

If you ever fancy doing a tutorial you would get a LOAD of readers!!

CHEERS!

Post edited by Rogerbee on
  • satinsatin Posts: 30
    edited December 1969

I hope you do consider a tutorial Hellboy because Daz Studio is such a great program. I would even pay for a tutorial by you :)

edited December 1969

Well, if Dreamlight can do it.....

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

...Hellboy's pic comes incredibly close but to get photorealism on the level of a 3DS, C4D, Maya, or Vue Infinite, still requires an unbiased render engine like Lux, Indigo, Cycles, or Octane.

I pretty much gave up on photoreal rendering years ago as that is not my goal since it's primary application is in production work for promotional use, design, or film which are occupations I could never get into anyway without going back to school. Not into that at this stage of life, even if I had the resources to afford it.

People don't break into CG occupations with Daz, Poser, or Vue Studio portfolios, they do it by knowing the professional software that is actually used in industry.

edited December 1969

Yeah,

I get where you're coming from, but, 3D will only ever be a hobby for me. I've always wanted to do something with it where people can't tell how it was done. I couldn't get near photo real painting models, but, 3D seemed to be a way I could do it and become skilful and not have to break the bank doing so. You certainly would be breaking the bank to afford all the software packages you mentioned, plus a major computer to run them on.

CHEERS!

• RenolaceRenolace Posts: 46
    edited December 2013

Here’s a G2F rendered in Modo. My first post of a DAZ character...I tonemapped it in PS....maybe a bit too much contrast....?

Wait.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 751K
    Post edited by Renolace on
    edited November 2013

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...Hellboy's pic comes incredibly close but to get photorealism on the level of a 3DS, C4D, Maya, or Vue Infinite, still requires an unbiased render engine like Lux, Indigo, Cycles, or Octane.

I pretty much gave up on photoreal rendering years ago as that is not my goal since it's primary application is in production work for promotional use, design, or film which are occupations I could never get into anyway without going back to school. Not into that at this stage of life, even if I had the resources to afford it.

People don't break into CG occupations with Daz, Poser, or Vue Studio portfolios, they do it by knowing the professional software that is actually used in industry.

Thank you. :)
    I really don't care about realism. When I do an image I'm only trying it to look as nice as I can. If it turns out realistic to some, that's cool, but not intentional.
    Not trying to get a job in 3D. This is just a fun hobby. :) DAZ Studio makes it fun for me, with the big softwares it would be just lots of boring job and I doubt I have what it takes anyway. But I admire the people who can use them.

Post edited by Hellboy on
    edited December 1969

aphyd said:
    I hope you do consider a tutorial Hellboy because Daz Studio is such a great program. I would even pay for a tutorial by you :)

I was contacted by certain 3D and concept art site to do tutorials. I don't know when I'll be able to start as I have other things going on, but sounds very interesting and it might be soon.
    I have 6 page tutorial in 3DArtist magazine #38. Covers most of the stuff I do in general.

• ScytharScythar Posts: 127
    edited April 2014

M4 pose, tweaked;
    Post in Photoshop.

Render.jpg
    1200 x 960 - 763K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • ScytharScythar Posts: 127
    edited December 1969

Without the post in Photoshop:

Render1.jpg
    1200 x 960 - 774K
    edited April 2014

Nice!

That's me just registered ! I've wanted a Master Chief for ages. I have a Warthog lurking in a zip somewhere, I must dig it out if I haven't already installed it. Their Alien Queen is the best I've ever seen!

CHEERS!

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

Renolace said:
    Here's a G2F rendered in Modo. My first post of a DAZ character...I tonemapped it in PS....maybe a bit too much contrast....?

It's really nice, but, you wouldn't really tell it was rendered in something high end.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Hellboy said:
    aphyd said:

I was contacted by certain 3D and concept art site to do tutorials. I don't know when I'll be able to start as I have other things going on, but sounds very interesting and it might be soon.
    I have 6 page tutorial in 3DArtist magazine #38. Covers most of the stuff I do in general.

I think I might have seen that article, I drifted away from them and 3DWorld when they stopped doing Daz and Poser items. In their heyday I got loads of cool stuff as freebies from 3DWorld and they had nice tutorials. Since then, they've gone all highbrow and there just isn't a printed magazine out there now that caters for DS and Poser users.

A tutorial from you would prove very beneficial though and prove that you don't necessarily have to have/know Lux in order to create great looking renders that have people wondering just how they were done.

I never lost my sense of wonder and have always wanted to bring that out in others

CHEERS!

• Helvetica 2013Helvetica 2013 Posts: 15
    edited December 1969

ZamuelNow said:

Maybe insert a creature behind her, coming over the wall. Cool render!

• michellecelebriellemichellecelebrielle Posts: 264
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

A tutorial from you would prove very beneficial though and prove that you don't necessarily have to have/know Lux in order to create great looking renders that have people wondering just how they were done.

I'd love a tutorial too, if you have time to make one Hellboy
  • SoulUnitSoulUnit Posts: 112
    edited December 1969

mishwish said:
    Rogerbee said:

I'd love a tutorial too, if you have time to make one Hellboy

No need for a tut. for me I would be happy with just a screen shot of the settings!