More Non-photorealisitic Renders (NPR II)

Comments

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,778

Great style, Eurocoin.

Could you elaborate more on your workflow, please.

• Artini said:

Great style, Eurocoin.

Thanks.

In Studio I did separate render passes for the characters/foreground and the background elements (LineRenderer 9000 was also involved). On the background elements Pwtoon was applied. On the characters I used "Crescent's pwToon Cel Shaders". Then to the rendered background, I applied one of the watercolor-effects on FotoSketcher. After that, I put it all together with Gimp, which I also used to do some additional touch-ups using a watercolor-brush.

• mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited September 2019
    Eurocoin said:
    Artini said:

Great style, Eurocoin.

Thanks.

In Studio I did separate render passes for the characters/foreground and the background elements (LineRenderer 9000 was also involved). On the background elements Pwtoon was applied. On the characters I used "Crescent's pwToon Cel Shaders". Then to the rendered background, I applied one of the watercolor-effects on FotoSketcher. After that, I put it all together with Gimp, which I also used to do some additional touch-ups using a watercolor-brush.

Thanks for the details. Which LineRender 9000 camera did you use? One of the standard ones, or did you customize the settings?

BTW: The image really is very nice, but the colors on her hair and clothing are very dark; I can barely see the black lines. Although I typically enjoy seeing an artist use a stronger foreground style over a softer background (as is done in many classic illustrations), in this case I think the foreground is a little too strong and heavy. I also would expect to see outlines on the plants near her. I love the addition of the wolf, but wonder if he might seem more menacing if his eyes were a little brighter.

Nevertheless, you've got a great style and I'm looking forward to seeing more!

Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
    Eurocoin said:
    Artini said:

Great style, Eurocoin.

Thanks.

Thanks a lot for the explanation of your workflow.

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532

Supergirl

Supergirl by tkdrobert

• tkdrobert said:

Supergirl

Supergirl by tkdrobert

Very cool. What hair did you use on that? Did you do a lot of editing on it?

edited September 2019

Sorry I haven't posted in a while Between work and trying to gear up for another book cover, I've been behind on everything.

On top of my already busy schedule, I signed up to be an Early Adopter of Poser 11.2. I really wanted to test out the Comic Book Preview features to make sure that they didn't break anything. Good news is, they didn't. In fact, it seems to render just a little faster than it did. Not enough to really matter, though, as that's always a fast render because it's in b&w.

Anyway, to test things, I dug out an old V4-based superhero called ULTRA. I created her back in the 1980s and she appeared in a handful of fanzines over the years (including one that was inked by the then-teenaged pro artist, Andrew Pepoy, who is a guest artist on the DICK TRACY comic strip this week). Anyway, enough name dropping...

I know the hair needs work (when I finally do get around to creating some more artwork with her, I will select a more usable hair model), but all in all, it's not too bad for a relatively quick illustration. My usual workflow applies (Poser Pro 11 renders and clean-up in Clip Studio Paint Pro).

Ultra_Flying_Kick_Huge.jpg
    1488 x 1014 - 1M
    tkdrobert said:

Supergirl

Supergirl by tkdrobert

Very cool. What hair did you use on that? Did you do a lot of editing on it?

It's Leyton Hair for Genesis 3 Female(s) and Genesis 2 Female(s), fitted to Genesis 8 Female.  It comes with a lot of movement morphs.  I used an IRAY toon shader.  I didn't do much post-work on the hair itself, just a Topaz Filter and some color brightning.

My Iron Eagle

My Iron Eagle by tkdrobert

• tkdrobert said:

My Iron Eagle

Daaaaaaaammmmn. Buddy, you are really knocking it out of the park these days! And the light through the rain effect is really impressive.

Excellent work.

tkdrobert said:

My Iron Eagle

Daaaaaaaammmmn. Buddy, you are really knocking it out of the park these days! And the light through the rain effect is really impressive.

Excellent work.

Thanks.

• For those of you who follow things over at R'osity, I just got the cool news that this recent illustration was selected as a "Poser Staff Pick of the Week."

There is some really great talent over there (I won't post the link here because of the DAZ TOS, but if you can't find the list, please PM me and I'll send it). There is some truly outstanding artwork selected this week (if you go to the list, you gotta check out the pic of the astronaut – the painting effects are stunning).

For those of you who follow things over at R'osity, I just got the cool news that this recent illustration was selected as a "Poser Staff Pick of the Week."

There is some really great talent over there (I won't post the link here because of the DAZ TOS, but if you can't find the list, please PM me and I'll send it). There is some truly outstanding artwork selected this week (if you go to the list, you gotta check out the pic of the astronaut – the painting effects are stunning).

Congrats!

edited September 2019
    pic203.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 889K
    pic201.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 886K
    Post edited by Artini on
  • Artini said:

Not really getting a strong NPR vibe from these. They look cool, however. I glanced at the link you included, but I am not clear on what Flowscape actually does.

edited September 2019

Sorry, but I could not the post links, but search on YouTube and on Steam to see the advantages of this marvelous application.

I like it very much. It allows to create quickly, pretty complex environments and could import OBJ files.

I am trying to find the workflow to create HDRIs from renders in Flowscape.

Have not mention yet, that it is like a game, so rendering is in instant, in real time.

Post edited by Artini on

Pacific Rim: November Ajax

Pacific Rim: November Ajax (Comicbook Style) by tkdrobert

I did 2 versions of this.  One realistic and one NPR.  I like both.

Another amazing image, tkdrobert. You have a big talent.

Artini said:

Another amazing image, tkdrobert. You have a big talent.

Thank you very much.

• tkdrobert said:

One of your best, yet, bud.

Now... when are you gonna make some comics pages? hmmmmmm? (nag, nag, nag) devil

• I'm starting a cover project for a sci-fi RPG and some of the aliens I want to use are based on Genesis and Genesis 2. Right now it's much easier to set this up in Daz Studio. BUT... I've been using Poser so long I'm forgetting some of the basics in DS. For instance, how do I access the Scripted Lines Render? I'm just drawing a blank on it right now.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

Scripted lines render:

Do Render: Scripted 3dl

Then under render parameters, select Render Script: Outline.

I THINK that's the one you are asking about.

Also, re bots and light... I apologize if this is something you already know and you were doing it on purpose, but very bright light tends to converge on white. So in that Pacific Rim render, if you were intending on the visor light to be bright rather than a dim glow, you might be well served creating a texture with a white center grading out to blue (or something).

And here's an experiment with Silas. I'm constantly debating whether to remove more detail from skin textures or keep them. There's an argument to be made either way.

If I did this as a comic, size would be smaller and the detail wouldn't matter much. Also, it detracts from the stylized approach.

On the other hand, a simpler skin texture would require MORE WORK (since I'd have to go in and blur or something), and there'd be a tricky balance in keeping crucial elements (like lip color and palm, for dark skinned characters) while removing a lot of the detail. Then again, for close ups you want that detail to actually show something to look at.

mmph. Conflicted. ;)

Silas Drawn.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 352K
    tkdrobert said:

One of your best, yet, bud.

Now... when are you gonna make some comics pages? hmmmmmm? (nag, nag, nag) devil

I've been thinking about it lately, but I've had some new ideas and I haven't decided whether to go with the ideas or stick to the orginal plans.  I can still do issue #0 regardless.  Everytime I get motivated to do it, the fear of the unknown (never done a comicbook  page) or the fear of hosing it up stops me.  Starting tommorow I have about 8 days of intense "regular" work, so it won't be before then.   

Oso3D said:

Scripted lines render:

Do Render: Scripted 3dl

Then under render parameters, select Render Script: Outline.

I THINK that's the one you are asking about.

Also, re bots and light... I apologize if this is something you already know and you were doing it on purpose, but very bright light tends to converge on white. So in that Pacific Rim render, if you were intending on the visor light to be bright rather than a dim glow, you might be well served creating a texture with a white center grading out to blue (or something).

And here's an experiment with Silas. I'm constantly debating whether to remove more detail from skin textures or keep them. There's an argument to be made either way.

If I did this as a comic, size would be smaller and the detail wouldn't matter much. Also, it detracts from the stylized approach.

On the other hand, a simpler skin texture would require MORE WORK (since I'd have to go in and blur or something), and there'd be a tricky balance in keeping crucial elements (like lip color and palm, for dark skinned characters) while removing a lot of the detail. Then again, for close ups you want that detail to actually show something to look at.

mmph. Conflicted. ;)

You beat me to it.

I keep debating returning to my webcomic and redoing it now that I kind of know what the heck I'm doing.

But the problem is... it takes a LOT of time, and when I was doing it it took forever to get stuff done. And then, critically, even under a reasonable best case scenario it makes next to zero money. Which isn't the be all and end all, but part of the reason I became a PA is so I could make enough side money to afford all the stuff and tools I want!

Oh, and along those lines, some renders exploring revamps of characters from my old webcomic ( here, for the curious. It's a wild mismatch of styles as I was exploring cgi stuff)

Emily Siljean 2019 uni.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 173K
    Emily Siljean 2019 Sportsbra.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 206K
    DWDA Sketch.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 120K
    edited September 2019

I have realised, that renders from FlowScape, are not enough NPR,

so I put one of the renders to PicToPainting filter in PaintShop Ultimate and the result is below.

I am not sure, if it is enough NPR, but it does not look realistic to me.

Pic121StudioD2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 480K
    Post edited by Artini on
    edited September 2019
    Artini said:

I have realised, that renders from FlowScape, are not enough NPR,

so I put one of the renders to PicToPainting filter in PaintShop Ultimate and the result is below.

I am not sure, if it is enough NPR, but it does not look realistic to me.

Dude, this is SERIOUSLY NPR. Very abstract. It reminds me of the work of a specific painter, but I cannot think of his/her name right now, The lens flare effect is very interesting, but for me it's the sharp angles in the trees that are really fascinating. Cool work.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922

thank you mmitchell, artini et jepsonpeteCMT  :)

This has a nice flat drawing effect. I have no idea how you created this, but it's really impressive.

Have you by any chance used Google Sketchup or sketchmake to create the backwalls, windows, etc?

The muted colours really add to the watercolour, or coloured pencil sketch effect you are going for here. Nice work.

ah thanks I'm sorr just saw this 

Bedroom was somethingI picked up at daz - I guess the main thing about this style is to lose most of your shadows

In Carrara you can render thiings like shadows and diffuse textures in different layers - so you combine them with the full render to get a softer look

hope t his makes sense

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922

Ha, I've missed 109 posts here, congrats MMitchell cover looks wonderous. There's some beautiful gems I have missed.

I've been spending too much time in a real studio.... here's a carrara job to keep my eye in

photodonut and filter forge plus some hand work, different filters on different Carrara render passes

This looks awesome ... I like photodonut and filter forge, too. If you remember your process, I'd be very interested in seeing the steps you took to get such a clean image.

ah thanksyes I've missed about 30 pages of work since I logged in!

Carrara render layers are combined here.

Line work from a free plug in Toon Pro .

I combined the diffuse pass with the line work and shadows - also probably an ambient pass - and just balanced in all in PS.

The pencil work come from Photodonut filter. One of the filters adds curves to the pencil work depending on t he tone of that part of the image - cant recall which one sorry!

This discussion has been closed.