More Non-photorealisitic Renders (NPR II)

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888

Thank you! Yeah, good points about the dark colors being adjusted more. I fault being distracted by trying to get the hair and skin right.

Behind a link. Technically somewhat gorey.

https://www.deviantart.com/willbear/art/The-Duke-810517377

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532

Another Batman.  I tried to give Batman a 5oclock shadow but didn't like it so I removed it.

The Rooftops of Gotham by tkdrobert

Someone suggested using daz cartoon shader and I remembered why I don’t; objects with cartoon shader don’t cast shadows. (Or maybe they just don’t with aoa lights? Not sure)

Anyone know a similar shader that, well, does?

(I should double check to see if pwtoon has an option I missed)

Oso3D said:

Someone suggested using daz cartoon shader and I remembered why I don’t; objects with cartoon shader don’t cast shadows. (Or maybe they just don’t with aoa lights? Not sure)

Anyone know a similar shader that, well, does?

(I should double check to see if pwtoon has an option I missed)

PWtoon casts shadows, but you have to make sure the lights you are using are set to cast shadows.  I usually have my lights set to Raytracing.

Into the Speed Force

Into the Speed Force by tkdrobert

TKDRobert: I know PWToon casts shadows, I was referring to Daz Toon shader (I forget the exact name of it), which does more N color stuff.

It's a different effect, but that might work better for backdrops. Except, as mentioned, it doesn't work with shadows.

Oso3D said:

TKDRobert: I know PWToon casts shadows, I was referring to Daz Toon shader (I forget the exact name of it), which does more N color stuff.

It's a different effect, but that might work better for backdrops. Except, as mentioned, it doesn't work with shadows.

Oh, I misunderstood. 

• mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited August 2019

Here's a bit of fun I had for a feature in a fanzine. In this feature, pop songs are paired up with a superhero. For example,:

• Conan: "I am the Warrior" by Pat Benatar
    • Ice Man: "Cold as Ice" by Foreigner
    • Invisible Woman: "When Will I See You Again?" by Owl City

Not exactly high-brow humor, but it's fun.

Anyway, I whipped up this title page / logo for the feature.My usual workflow was in play: Poser Pro 11 and Clip Studio Paint. And what could be more fitting than Conan the Barbarian Shredding on his "Axe?"
    (The background, if anyone's interested, was made by using the gloom tool, rasterizing it and then applying the Warp filter. I'm rather happy with this effect – I think it conveys the power of his music.)

EDIT: Rats. I just noticed an error. There is a white strip that is supposed to block out the background from showing through the strap on his guitar. I moved the image down at the last minute, but neglected to move that little white strip. I'll fix it before publication, but am not going to take the time to repost it here. 

Conan_Anthems_Big.jpg
    1976 x 2444 - 3M
    Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
  • Here's a bit of fun I had for a feature in a fanzine. In this feature, pop songs are paired up with a superhero. For example,:

Anyway, I whipped up this title page / logo for the feature.My usual workflow was in play: Poser Pro 11 and Clip Studio Paint. And what could be more fitting than Conan the Barbarian Shredding on his "Axe?"
    (The background, if anyone's interested, was made by using the gloom tool, rasterizing it and then applying the Warp filter. I'm rather happy with this effect – I think it conveys the power of his music.)

EDIT: Rats. I just noticed an error. There is a white strip that is supposed to block out the background from showing through the strap on his guitar. I moved the image down at the last minute, but neglected to move that little white strip. I'll fix it before publication, but am not going to take the time to repost it here. 

Nice idea, and it's good to see Conan appearing on the cover of a fanzine. The shading looks cool and contrasts well with the background wavy lines. It looks like maybe his eyebrows are not there. I think if you add the eyebrows it will make a great piece.

• tkdrobert said:

Into the Speed Force

Nice work. The background and the lightning effects are very cool. The character render is really nice and crisp. It would be great to see a unique expression on the character's face, some of your other characters have subtle, yet effective expressions and this is the key to bringing the character to life.

Really enjoying the sci fi comic style artwork you are producing. It would be great if you put together a book on your creations. You already have a deviant art account, so I guess that pretty much does the same thing.

• mmitchell_houstonmmitchell_houston Posts: 2,472
    edited August 2019

Here's a bit of fun I had for a feature in a fanzine. In this feature, pop songs are paired up with a superhero. For example,:

Nice idea, and it's good to see Conan appearing on the cover of a fanzine. The shading looks cool and contrasts well with the background wavy lines. It looks like maybe his eyebrows are not there. I think if you add the eyebrows it will make a great piece.

And that's why I need another set of eyes! Yup, totally forgot the eyebrows on this one! And this is actually for an interior page, not the cover. This is just a title page for a two-page article (in the printed version, there is some text appearing above the illustration to introduce the concept of the article; I omitted it here).

Glad you mentioned the contrast of the image with the wavy lines (which were created in a hurry – I always seem to work at the last minute). I toyed with adding some musical notes there, but thought that was too cheesy (even for me). And I played around with the color for the background, testing various shades of red, blue, gold, etc., until I settled on this particular shade because it worked wll with the earth tones of his body and didn't detract from the logo.

This has already gone to print, so I'll have to wait until the next article to make sure that I don't make another mistake like that again on another piece.

Post edited by mmitchell_houston on
  • tkdrobert said:

Into the Speed Force

Been meaning to comment on this for a few days. I really like the energy you convey in his pose, but I also agree that the expression is too flat. Entering the speed force should show a level of determination. Also, I don't think the face texture perfectly matches the more traditional shading on the body/costume. For me, there's just a disconnect there (maybe it's because the body has strong lines and the face doesn't?).

Anyway, I'm also really enjoying your latest series (still want to nag you into making some comic pages, though: nag, nag, nag). :-)

• I have meant to get back here and post for SO LONG but regular boring life keeps getting in the way...  I've missed so much, and some of it I want to comment on so I'll have to do that tomorrow morning when I have time to get back on.  I wanted to show what I've been working on... I've moved away from the painting style filters, and have really tried to trim down the amount of postwork filters I use so that my images don't look so overworked.  Here are two examples, one a little more cartoony and one a little more gritty... 

Both were done in Photoshop with the default filters and styles, just tweaked down quite a bit

1.png
    1920 x 2967 - 6M
    2.png
    1920 x 2967 - 6M
  • wsterdanwsterdan Posts: 2,339

Great pict (as always); as an aside, I just wanted to say that I don’t believe Pat Benatar ever covered Patty Smyth/Scandal’s  “The Warrior” (despite the occasional YouTube video crediting Benatar when it clearly doesn’t sound like Benatar). Some of the confusion might be because Benatar’s hit, “Love is a Battlefield”  was written by the same person who wrote “The Warrior”, Holly Knight.

— Walt Sterdan

• wsterdan said:

Great pict (as always); as an aside, I just wanted to say that I don’t believe Pat Benatar ever covered Patty Smyth/Scandal’s  “The Warrior” (despite the occasional YouTube video crediting Benatar when it clearly doesn’t sound like Benatar). Some of the confusion might be because Benatar’s hit, “Love is a Battlefield”  was written by the same person who wrote “The Warrior”, Holly Knight.

— Walt Sterdan

Yup. I messed that one up! Wrote it too late at night with a few beers and trusted the first video I found.

Some more fooling around.

Centaur Warlord.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 184K

I'm finding scripted outlines produce a more consistent, pleasing line than pwtoon. Hmm. Still like the color control of pwtoon, though.

Contemplatin.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 195K
  • Oso3D said:

I'm finding scripted outlines produce a more consistent, pleasing line than pwtoon. Hmm. Still like the color control of pwtoon, though.

I agree, those are pretty good outlines. What script are you using?

This illustration is pretty good, and it also shows why I prefer to use the Comic Book Preview in Poser 11: The ability to define different line thicknesses (as well as color) based on the material. For instance, in this case I would make the toenails a much finer line and make the clothing a thicker line.

But, I have to admit, this is the first time I've seen scripted lines that really look like they would work for me.

• duckbomb said:

I have meant to get back here and post for SO LONG but regular boring life keeps getting in the way...  I've missed so much, and some of it I want to comment on so I'll have to do that tomorrow morning when I have time to get back on.  I wanted to show what I've been working on... I've moved away from the painting style filters, and have really tried to trim down the amount of postwork filters I use so that my images don't look so overworked.  Here are two examples, one a little more cartoony and one a little more gritty... 

Both were done in Photoshop with the default filters and styles, just tweaked down quite a bit

The effect is nice, but to my eye it looks like a standard 3Delight render (or in Poser, the old Firefly render engine). I'm not really getting an NPR feel from it.

In the scripts, just 'Outline.' I'm... not sure if it's a core Daz item or something I've added over time.

• Oso3D said:

This illustration is pretty good, and it also shows why I prefer to use the Comic Book Preview in Poser 11: The ability to define different line thicknesses (as well as color) based on the material. For instance, in this case I would make the toenails a much finer line and make the clothing a thicker line.

But, I have to admit, this is the first time I've seen scripted lines that really look like they would work for me.

and 

• Oso3D said:

and 

Thanks for the links to the videos. This reminded me that I had played around with this feature many years ago, but left it because I wasn't really impressed with the results. Oso3D is one of the few I've seen get really good results from this.

edited September 2019

I took the outlines into photoshop, blurred them a little, adjusted levels a little. I also did some spot fixes of areas I didn't like

Post edited by Oso3D on
  • Oso3D said:

I took the outlines into photoshop, blurred them a little, adjusted levels a little. I also did some spot fixes of areas I didn't like

I figured there had to be some post work involved. Even in Poser 11 I need to do some work to fill in small gaps (the lines tend to break when two strong curves meet). Nevertheless, you did get some good results.

I almost didn't consider it postwork, because it takes maybe a minute or two. But yes, technically some. ;)

Just no special filters or other wackiness.

Redid warlord.

This process was a LITTLE more involved, but I like the results much better:

PWToon with and without outlines

Outline scripted 3delight, colorID and Normal outputs (depth isn't useful for this imo)

Layered the four items, with colorID and Normal flattened onto white and set Multiply, then erase anything that doesn't work for me on each layer.

It's a bit of work, but it's not... terrible.

I also adjusted the tone of the PWToon, which I could probably have avoided by tweaking initial lighting.

I'm wondering if hunting after outlining might be distracting me from other possibilities... here's my Thicket Man, converted to PWToon.

October Walks.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 291K
  • Going off the Path

Eurocoin said:

Going off the Path

Nice.  Looks like an illistration from a children's book.

This discussion has been closed.