Is the new Iray Uber Shader backwards compatible?

jeejee Posts: 41
edited September 2019 in New Users

Hello. Just a quick question. Is the new Iray Uber Shader something that comes with the named models only, or is it available for every DAZ user?

Also, is it limited to only Genesis 8 models, or can it be applied to older ones as well, such as VIctoria 7? If so, then how do we apply it?

Post edited by jee on

Comments

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

If you're render engine is set to Iray, which is the default, when you render an image, Daz Studio will convert the older 3Delight objects with the Iray Uber Base on the fly. The problem is, there are shaders for 3DL that will not convert correctly, or at all. But most of the time, you're renders will look fine.

However, allowing DS to convert on the fly at time of render means it will take longer before the image shows up, in the viewport or render window. A better habit to get into is converting those objects manually. Once converted, you have access to all the Iray material parameters, and you can make changes to suit your needs.

The easiest way to do that is:

1. Select an object in the scene.
    2. Open the Surfaces > Preset tab.
    3. Type "Uber", (without quotes) into the filter field at the top of the right column.
    4. Locate the "Iray Uber Base" preset in the results.
    5. Right-Click on the preset.
    6. Scroll to the bottom of the popup menu and select Create Custom Action.
    7. Click on Accept in the popup dialog.

This creates an entry in the Scripts menu of the main menu. If you didn't have a Scripts menu, it will create one. Now you can access and use the Iray Uber Base Preset with two clicks.

Now to apply the preset:

1. Select the objects you want to convert. (You can do multiple objects at one time.)
    2. Open the Surfaces > Editor.
    3. Click on the first object listed.
    4. Hold down your Shift key and click on the last object listed. (Everything should now be highlighted in the left column of the tab.)
    5. Click on your Scripts menu to open.
    6. Click on the Iray Uber Base listing.

When DS is finished processing the changes, all the items you selected will have Iray Uber materials. For a large scene this can take a while. Also, the Surfaces > Editor has an "All" option at the top of the left column. In my experience, clicking on All is not sufficient for applying the Iray Uber Base. The items and/or material zones to be converted must be highlighted.

• jeejee Posts: 41

Thank you L'Adair, but I'm a beginner, so this sounds like Greek to me. Sorry about that. Are you saying the new and improved Iray Uber Shader for Genesis 8 can be applied to my Victoria 7 HD model?

Thank you L'Adair, but I'm a beginner, so this sounds like Greek to me. Sorry about that. Are you saying the new and improved Iray Uber Shader for Genesis 8 can be applied to my Victoria 7 HD model?

The Victoria 7 HD model loads the Victoria 7 Iray materials for me.

The HD is an addon morph for the base figure, and requires V7 for both the shape and the materials. If it's loading without, check to see if you have the base. If not, you can apply any Genesis 3 female materials to the figure, but the shape isn't going to look much like Victoria 7.

Select your G3 female figure, (V7 or any other,) Open Surfaces. There are tabs across the top of the pane. Make sure the one labeled Presets is selected. In the right column, drill-down to Default > Materials > Iray > Feminine. With Feminine open, you will see a list of all the characters you own for Genesis 3 that include Iray materials. Select one and open to locate the presets to apply the various materials and options.

I hope this helps.

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

As a rule, a shader doesn't care what type of object it's being applied to (there are exceptions to the rule, but the Uber Shader is designed to work on any surface for Iray).

One caveat, however is whether the material settings of the figure you're applying it to are configured to take full advantage of the shader or not. For instance there might be a new feature in the Improved Uber Shader that newer characters have settings for, but older characters do not.

The shader would still work for the older products, it might just ignore the new feature and so it wouldn't look as good as a product which was designed with that feature in mind.

Studio is very forgiving though. Say the Material settings refer to a parameter called "FooFooDust", but the shader you're applying the settings to doesn't have "FooFooDust" properties. Studio will just ignore the value for "FooFooDust" (without even complaining). You may not get the results that you could if your shader had the "FooFooDust" feature, but it will render using the values that align to known properties.

• One question not answered yet, I think, is how do you get the new FooFooDust shader without buying a new product that might have it? And if I do happen to have it already, how do I know?

Also, would it work in DS 4.10? I don't intend to upgrade until I at least have a mediocre level of understanding in the software that I'm trying to learn (lack of time is my problem). And, I'm old, I hate change...

• OK, I guess they were talking about the same thing in a different thread:
    https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/350891/improved-iray-uber-shader

Mattymanx said regarding a new shader: "I think its been updated a while back but just to be sure, download the Default Resources for DAZ Studio 4.9+ again as it would be in there."

So cool! ... Unless that was an older new shader?

• Default Resources will always give the current versions of the base shaders etc.

Thank you guys! Much appreciated. I'm liking this forum more and more.

edited September 2019

You're welcome, from all of us, I'm sure.

And yeah, the forums are a great place to hang out.

As for being old, believe me, @Kenkoy, you're not alone. I won't name names, but I'm 65 and I know of quite few others in here who are older than I am. You're among your peers here. I hope that means you won't be a stranger.

I invite you both to check out the New User challenges, too. Even if all you do is "lurk", there's some real good information in those threads.

Welcome to the madness. wink

Post edited by L'Adair on
    edited September 2019
    L'Adair said:

You're welcome, from all of us, I'm sure.

And yeah, the forums are a great place to hang out.

As for being old, believe me, @Kenkoy, you're not alone. I won't name names, but I'm 65 and I know of quite few others in here who are older than I am. You're among your peers here. I hope that means you won't be a stranger.

I invite you both to check out the New User challenges, too. Even if all you do is "lurk", there's some real good information in those threads.

Welcome to the madness. wink

I'm in my 40s myself, so I'm not exactly young either.

I'll check out the challenges.

Thank you :)

Post edited by jee on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634

40, young whipper snapper. LOL

• NotAnArtistNotAnArtist Posts: 367
    edited September 2019

Thank you, L'Adair, for the invite - This is really a great community to be a part of. I want to participate in things like you mention as soon as I can - just some personal issues to take care of first. So, a final comment if it's OK:

I've been off and on with DS since about 2012. Not really a 'new' user. I am a consistant lurker, though. These forums are like gold.  

My mistake: Spending nearly all my free time going through the forums, saving them, sorting them, taking notes... and then running out of time for even opening the software! (I miss textbooks).

"We get too soon old and too late smart" - an old Dutch/German proverb. I saw it posted on my grandmother's wall when I was a small child, and often stared at it wondering how to avoid it. At 71, I still haven't figured it out.

With respect to 3D art: Render more, study less I guess. And have fun!

Post edited by NotAnArtist on
    Kenkoy said:

Thank you, L'Adair, for the invite - This is really a great community to be a part of. I want to participate in things like you mention as soon as I can - just some personal issues to take care of first. So, a final comment if it's OK:

I've been off and on with DS since about 2012. Not really a 'new' user. I am a consistant lurker, though. These forums are like gold.  

My mistake: Spending nearly all my free time going through the forums, saving them, sorting them, taking notes... and then running out of time for even opening the software! (I miss textbooks).

"We get too soon old and too late smart" - an old Dutch/German proverb. I saw it posted on my grandmother's wall when I was a small child, and often stared at it wondering how to avoid it. At 71, I still haven't figured it out.

With respect to 3D art: Render more, study less I guess. And have fun!

Having fun is the most important part. Create what appeals to you, learn stuff as you need it to create your art… and never worry about what anyone else thinks of your work! If you create something that makes you want to go back and view it again and again, then you are doing just fine.

Art is subjective and everyone is a critic, (and some critics have never learned how to critique! They only know how to find fault. I think most of those review movies, though… lol) Usually, we are our own worst critics, and need to learn to give ourselves a bit more slack.

I'd really love to see you in the challenges. For myself, I've found challenges and contests to be motivational in coming up with ideas. Especially those with themes, like Llola Lane's Monthly Challenge, as well as the New User Challenges I mentioned above. Having a theme and a deadline has helped me come up with some fun ideas; And more importantly, to finish what I started, (because I suffer from two debilating conditions: perfectionism and procrastination!)

I'm looking forward to seeing your art…