September 2019 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Depth of Field

Comments

• Just rendered version c of my project for this month tweeking the DoF.

sept2019c.png
    800 x 1294 - 1M
  • RurisRuris Posts: 123

Just rendered version c of my project for this month tweeking the DoF.

Hi friend, the fire prop is exactly at the back of the character. The daz camera is not as good as a real camera, it wont generate a nice bokeh even if u tune the DOF and/or bump the lens to 100mm. Try moving it back 5-10meters if possible and check if the blurring improves.

• L'Adair said:
    OpenStory said:
    L'Adair said:
    OpenStory said:

Okay, here's mine called Lazy Day. DOF applied to back and a little to the front. Some post work done in photoshop and topaz.

@OpenStory, I really like this image a lot. It feels like part of a professional photoshoot to me.

However, the framing feels a little "off" to be from a pro shoot. I'd expect a wider image, the flowers to be further from the left edge, and camera to be a bit further from the image. The DOF is nice as is, though it wouldn't hurt to be a little stronger, with more of the car in the image, and the front blur including just a touch of the car.

The lighting is almost perfect. Based on the reflection on the car, it looks like you're using an HDRI for lighting. It works everywhere except for the hard shadow on her right arm. A ghost light could be used to soften that shadow. Depending on where you put it, it could also lighten other apects of the image, but you could use it to one side, lighten everything and reduce the Environment Intensity a small amount to compensate. (Render Settings > Environment).

This an image to be proud of as is, and the above suggestions are really minor; I won't say nit-picky, but possible subtle changes that you might decide improve an already delightful image.

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am a photographer, lol. So I tend to look at things that way when I create my images. The flowers are actually hiding a dforce issue with the dress. Because this dress is so very difficult to work with in this pose, I had to be a bit creative when I placed her on the car like she would be in real life. smiley The flowers were added in photoshop. 

And I was wondering where you found the roses and basket prop! 

LOL - would be nice if we had those kind of props. If it hadn't taken me over an hour to prep that basket for the scene, I would change the perspective of my daz scene. But at last, I'm a slave to dforce. I'm always pushing it past its limitations as much as I can. smiley

• Ruris said:
    OpenStory said:
    L'Adair said:
    OpenStory said:

Okay, here's mine called Lazy Day. DOF applied to back and a little to the front. Some post work done in photoshop and topaz.

@OpenStory, I really like this image a lot. It feels like part of a professional photoshoot to me.

However, the framing feels a little "off" to be from a pro shoot. I'd expect a wider image, the flowers to be further from the left edge, and camera to be a bit further from the image. The DOF is nice as is, though it wouldn't hurt to be a little stronger, with more of the car in the image, and the front blur including just a touch of the car.

The lighting is almost perfect. Based on the reflection on the car, it looks like you're using an HDRI for lighting. It works everywhere except for the hard shadow on her right arm. A ghost light could be used to soften that shadow. Depending on where you put it, it could also lighten other apects of the image, but you could use it to one side, lighten everything and reduce the Environment Intensity a small amount to compensate. (Render Settings > Environment).

This an image to be proud of as is, and the above suggestions are really minor; I won't say nit-picky, but possible subtle changes that you might decide improve an already delightful image.

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am a photographer, lol. So I tend to look at things that way when I create my images. The flowers are actually hiding a dforce issue with the dress. Because this dress is so very difficult to work with in this pose, I had to be a bit creative when I placed her on the car like she would be in real life. smiley The flowers were added in photoshop. 

I'm gonna take a shot that you probably animate the dress without the car on a flat ground, then when finished you moved her on the car yes? And due to the curved surface, it doesnt gel properly. The improved version would be to animate her on top of the car and 'float' down on it, lots of time taking trials to get the dress draped over curved surface and probably explosion when you cross over the car. Some moderators could make dforce lined up as the future topics.

A question, from a photographer perspective, how similar is the color correction technique used in a render vs real photos? I watch a lot of phlearn and whatnots, the camera raw dials is the same, but what you end up using more would be definitely different. I usually end up bumping exposure more than 1, which would be ridiculous in a real photo in most situation.

Actually, I tried many different ways of getting her on that car wtihout issues. I didn't have any explosions because I've learned the limitations of dforce by pushing its limitations. lol  I tend to do those things to drive myself crazy. The final version was having her slide onto the car just milimeters above the hood and lower her, but for some reason that dress wouldn't cooperate. So I just gave dforce a point in our forever battle. I draped a horse that took over two hours to get the draping over the horse correctly. As far as color correction, I change my pieces so much, that I really don't pay much attention to original coloring. However, I have noticed that the colors aren't as vibrant and it does take a great deal higher numbers to correct the colors in post work. When I take photos in real life, I usually don't take them until the sun is not going to be a problem unless I want sun flare. In daz, I use the lights to get my rim lights where I want them and decrease shadows as I can then use photoshop to get the actual lighting I was looking for, which is something I've always done even when I've taken photos. Long answer - sorry. laugh

• no noseno nose Posts: 300

Well I decided to do a bit of overhauling to my idea, though I need to find proper sign/watchtower props, and a way to make a crowd without increasing render times.

Ruris said:
    no nose said:

Well here's my entry, took a while to optimize it so I can actually render, and I kinda need to work on the camera angles and enviorment

You got dark ideas, friend. Are those prisoners running towards the shooters?

Technically they're breaking in, not out, and you automatically doge anything when you run like that. Jokes aside my bad, didn't mean to make something that dark.

2.png
    889 x 500 - 779K
  • no nose said:

Well I decided to do a bit of overhauling to my idea, though I need to find proper sign/watchtower props, and a way to make a crowd without increasing render times.

Ruris said:
    no nose said:

Well here's my entry, took a while to optimize it so I can actually render, and I kinda need to work on the camera angles and enviorment

Technically they're breaking in, not out, and you automatically doge anything when you run like that. Jokes aside my bad, didn't mean to make something that dark.

If you don't mind the crowd all looking the same, and you're using Daz, what about instances?

Also what are the guards wearing?

• Ruris said:

Hi friend, the fire prop is exactly at the back of the character. The daz camera is not as good as a real camera, it wont generate a nice bokeh even if u tune the DOF and/or bump the lens to 100mm. Try moving it back 5-10meters if possible and check if the blurring improves.

I'll have to take a look after I get home from work, thanks for commenting.

no nose said:

Ruris said:
    no nose said:

If you don't mind the crowd all looking the same, and you're using Daz, what about instances?

Wow I didn't know thats a thing, thank you. It saves a lot of render time. As for the outfit, it's called "mercenarry outfit", I don't remember where I got it from, but it was made by "Alibama".

(and it may or may not actually be meant for G8F)

3.png
    889 x 500 - 791K
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,151

They're about to find out the hard way that Naruto running doesn't actually work.

•  

@Ruris Very nice image, but the composition looks a bit imbalanced vertically to my eye. Convention says not to crop through the subjects joints. I don't always agree with convention but following that rule and moving the figures eye up to the upper thirds line might be worth a try. Personal taste here, I find the hair/shadow on her screen left shoulder a bit of a distraction. I really like the posing and use of DOF and environment. Very nice work!

@Gordig LOL Awesome! 

@screamerboard Are you confusing focal length with focal distance? Focal distance only moves the position of the focus planes, adjusting focal length will look on screen like zooming in or out. (It does more than just that but I don't want to confuse things.)

@ariochsnowpaw That is a super image you have going, I really like it a lot! Personally I don't think it needs a much. You could try a rim in a dangerous color, fire in the background or a spooky sky/moon. Lightning? Could back light some props using above. I can't wait to see what you come up with!

@sisyphus1977xx Awesome image, very creative! The only thing I have is you might want to try to add some gravity effect to the sleeve. That is some excellent skin detail on the hand. Great job!

@Shinji Ikari 9th  That is a really dramatic scene! I really like how the light is bringing up a little detail on the legs. I wonder how that would look if it carried up the full figure. You may want to tweak the framing a bit to give him a bit more toe room. I think a bit of bloom filter could be interesting too. Very cool character you created!

@no nose I think adding the sign really adds perspective.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

Each version of this image shows improvement in the DOF.

The issue I see with the DOF, however, is it isn't very strong. The base of the fire prop still looks relatively sharp and unreal. I created something similar to tinker with, (I don't have the outfit, but I've got James and the Porsimo flames.) and I can see why you keep the prop so close to the figure, in order to fill the background with flames. You mentioned in an earlier post, you've scaled the prop 565.4%. You can keep the overall size in the frame, but "move" the prop back by scaling it down, front to back, on a single axis. My guess is Z-Scale will work. (Unless you've rotated the prop…?) Reducing the scale anywhere from 90% down to 50% or so should get the blur on the entire prop, without change the DOF on your character.

On the otherhand, you can also change the f/Stop to reduce the area of focus. That means the rear foot will be out of focus, but it's something to play with. (Or a little of both?)

I've always liked Wolverine, though I don't recall seeing him in such a uniform. But he's managed to live a very long time, so anything is possible. (I really did not like the movie Logan!)

I'm looking forward to seeing how this image evolves. It definitely has a sense of danger and action.

no nose said:
    no nose said:

Ruris said:
    no nose said:

Wow I didn't know thats a thing, thank you. It saves a lot of render time. As for the outfit, it's called "mercenarry outfit", I don't remember where I got it from, but it was made by "Alibama".

It's always fun to watch an idea evolve! I like there being something in the background that helps show scale. However the sign you have suggests your crowd is running out of Area 51!

Regardless, It looks like you are using a single man and numerous instances. You were using several figures originally, I think. For such a crowd, I would recommend using three figures, each with a different running pose, possibly different clothing, or different colors of the clothing they are wearing now, and then instance each of those figures to have a more diverse crowd. I would also suggest spreading them out a lot more and rotating some of them so they don't look like they're running in a straight line. (That close together, and running straight, the troops should have no problem hitting some of them just by shooting in that general direction!) Also, by spreading the runners out between the background and foreground, your DOF will blur those in the very back, with those in the front showing much more detail.

L'Adair said:
    no nose said:
    no nose said:

Ruris said:
    no nose said:

It's always fun to watch an idea evolve! I like there being something in the background that helps show scale. However the sign you have suggests your crowd is running out of Area 51!

Regardless, It looks like you are using a single man and numerous instances. You were using several figures originally, I think. For such a crowd, I would recommend using three figures, each with a different running pose, possibly different clothing, or different colors of the clothing they are wearing now, and then instance each of those figures to have a more diverse crowd. I would also suggest spreading them out a lot more and rotating some of them so they don't look like they're running in a straight line. (That close together, and running straight, the troops should have no problem hitting some of them just by shooting in that general direction!) Also, by spreading the runners out between the background and foreground, your DOF will blur those in the very back, with those in the front showing much more detail.

Alright I added a bit more variaty to the crowd, also decided to rotate them in order to better signify that they're running to, rather then from.

Besides that I changed the balcony prop, I still need to find a proper watchtower / gate prop though.

4.png
    889 x 500 - 764K
  • Version D here, trying to tweek the camera and DoF, adding some instances of the main fire off to the sides as well as another flame prop from the same set, and giving him his cigar.

Also made use of the bloom filter if I remember right.

sept2019d.png
    800 x 1294 - 1M
    OpenStory said:
    Ruris said:
    OpenStory said:
    L'Adair said:
    OpenStory said:

I'm gonna take a shot that you probably animate the dress without the car on a flat ground, then when finished you moved her on the car yes? And due to the curved surface, it doesnt gel properly. The improved version would be to animate her on top of the car and 'float' down on it, lots of time taking trials to get the dress draped over curved surface and probably explosion when you cross over the car. Some moderators could make dforce lined up as the future topics.

A question, from a photographer perspective, how similar is the color correction technique used in a render vs real photos? I watch a lot of phlearn and whatnots, the camera raw dials is the same, but what you end up using more would be definitely different. I usually end up bumping exposure more than 1, which would be ridiculous in a real photo in most situation.

Actually, I tried many different ways of getting her on that car wtihout issues. I didn't have any explosions because I've learned the limitations of dforce by pushing its limitations. lol  I tend to do those things to drive myself crazy. The final version was having her slide onto the car just milimeters above the hood and lower her, but for some reason that dress wouldn't cooperate. So I just gave dforce a point in our forever battle. I draped a horse that took over two hours to get the draping over the horse correctly. As far as color correction, I change my pieces so much, that I really don't pay much attention to original coloring. However, I have noticed that the colors aren't as vibrant and it does take a great deal higher numbers to correct the colors in post work. When I take photos in real life, I usually don't take them until the sun is not going to be a problem unless I want sun flare. In daz, I use the lights to get my rim lights where I want them and decrease shadows as I can then use photoshop to get the actual lighting I was looking for, which is something I've always done even when I've taken photos. Long answer - sorry. laugh

Hi, the battle with dforce is eternal indeed, I suppose it might be less painful in the future, but right now even a simple lean against the wall need a dozen tries.Good to hear your answer on postwork. 

@dtrscbrutal: Yes, the reference photo has a closer crop too, but I was worried about the emphasize on..err assets. About the hair, I suppose you can attribute it to postwork that didnt come out too good. Good to hear your comments.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043

@no nose

I can't help thinking of the three wise monkeys every time I look at your image because of the three different hand positions of your characters :)

I think I would try for a bit more DOF on the runners and try to get some displacement on the ground.

• AZDigitalArtistAZDigitalArtist Posts: 773
    edited September 2019

"Best Friends"

SheriEmerson-BestFriends.jpg
    1344 x 1344 - 1M
    Post edited by AZDigitalArtist on

"Best Friends"

@AZDigitalArtist, Is that you, MuddWoman?

This image is really nice. I like the cherry blossoms blurry in the front, and the color of the dragon contrasts nicely with the pink and reds.

I do think this image would look even better with HD dimensions. (In the Render Settings > General, there are several HD options. Based on the size of this image, I'd recommend the 1920 x 1080 HD setting.) You'll probably need to move the front cherry trees further apart, but you'll be able to include more of the dragon, and put some space between the right edge of the image and the human figure. I think the sky needs a touch of blue, too. You could turn Draw Dome on, but that might not work, depending on the HDRI you're using. Changing HDRIs to find a nice sky would also change the lighting, which is working nicely as is. Another option would be to go to the Environment tab, (Window > Panes(Tabs) > Environment from the main menu) and add a "Backdrop", setting the color to a very light blue.

Regardless, I find this a delightful image. I've a softspot for Asian themed artwork, and you've just reminded my why!

• ariochsnowpawariochsnowpaw Posts: 147
    edited September 2019

I expanded the view to make more of a scene and a story.  I think the original would have gone well in the portrait challenge but wanted to include more elements of everything else we've learned.

Crouching Ogre, Angry Archer

The castle was lost, burning behind her, bodies littering the courtyard and grounds.  Miriam knew she would have to flee but first...one more kill.

Rendered in layers and composited in PS.  Took an abysmal amount of time to render but I will soon be able to buy a render beast so I don't have to do this on a single CPU core.

Angry Archer.jpg
    1500 x 1552 - 459K
    Post edited by ariochsnowpaw on
    Fishtales said:

@no nose

I can't help thinking of the three wise monkeys every time I look at your image because of the three different hand positions of your characters :)

I think I would try for a bit more DOF on the runners and try to get some displacement on the ground.

the displacement definently makes the ground look better, thanks for that. I've tried messing around with DOF a bit more, but idk if this is any better tbh.

5.png
    889 x 500 - 662K
  • WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893
    edited September 2019

This entry is cancelled, because I have some standards.

Post edited by WinterMoon on
  • Ruris said:
    OpenStory said:
    Ruris said:
    OpenStory said:
    L'Adair said:
    OpenStory said:

Hi, the battle with dforce is eternal indeed, I suppose it might be less painful in the future, but right now even a simple lean against the wall need a dozen tries.Good to hear your answer on postwork. 

@dtrscbrutal: Yes, the reference photo has a closer crop too, but I was worried about the emphasize on..err assets. About the hair, I suppose you can attribute it to postwork that didnt come out too good. Good to hear your comments.

Yes, hopefully Dforce will get a bit better. 

•  

L'Adair said:

"Best Friends"

@AZDigitalArtist, Is that you, MuddWoman?

This image is really nice. I like the cherry blossoms blurry in the front, and the color of the dragon contrasts nicely with the pink and reds.

I do think this image would look even better with HD dimensions. (In the Render Settings > General, there are several HD options. Based on the size of this image, I'd recommend the 1920 x 1080 HD setting.) You'll probably need to move the front cherry trees further apart, but you'll be able to include more of the dragon, and put some space between the right edge of the image and the human figure. I think the sky needs a touch of blue, too. You could turn Draw Dome on, but that might not work, depending on the HDRI you're using. Changing HDRIs to find a nice sky would also change the lighting, which is working nicely as is. Another option would be to go to the Environment tab, (Window > Panes(Tabs) > Environment from the main menu) and add a "Backdrop", setting the color to a very light blue.

Regardless, I find this a delightful image. I've a softspot for Asian themed artwork, and you've just reminded my why!

Yeah, that's me.  Thanks so much for all your advice and helpful hints (I really need them!).  I had it a bit more rectangular to start, but at the time, the interaction between the two got a little lost in all that....dragonness.    I love that Eastern Dragon, though, so kudos to the artist.  I don't quite know what Draw Dome is, but I will definitely research that.  Right now, I'm just diving into the program to get the feel of it, and will learn all those wonderful technical things as I go.  Again, thanks for all the hints...off to try them out!

• Had an idea this afternoon for a new image, here's the start.

sept2019-2a.png
    1005 x 872 - 660K
    TigerAnne said:

Alright, now this is just nonsense. surprise (Context...) I think it actually stopped before it reached 100% convergence. It was on 81%, after having been going for over a day, and then suddenly it was done. Oh well. I know it's grainy in places, but I'd like to hear people's input on other things as well, before I start it over.

Break dancing while shoe tasting? Is the girl running to call the cops?

• Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,163
    edited September 2019

Did some changes to my second idea last night, adding a landing craft that could be trying to find a place to land. (The pilot better be aware of how close they're getting to that poll and power line setup.) 

Also changed the HDRI settings for the lighting.

DoF is the default settings of the camera used for now.

Edit - I think I tweeked the atmospheric settings as well.

sept2019-2b.png
    1005 x 872 - 690K
    Post edited by Shinji Ikari 9th on
  • ZateticZatetic Posts: 284

Hi all. I'll be brave and post my very first render. I'm an old guy who started out with film photography which included developing and printing my shots. I bought my first personal computer while I was in high school (the newly released Commodore 64) and have used computers ever since. As a hobby, most of my computer graphics work has involved photography and making 2D roughout patterns for wood carving.  This is my first foray into advanced graphic work and 3D modeling. Having fun so far!

• Bardot dress
    • Barefoot dancer
    • DTHDR Sunset scene
    bardotsunset.jpg
    500 x 707 - 45K
  • WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893
    Ruris said:

He's had a run in with Polybius in the arcade. Now he's having a full-body seizure, with his feet savagely kicking him for being a bad kid who plays video games. Poor Jane's terrified at what she's seeing. She's at least running to get an adult.

• Hi. Here is my go at this. I have used multipule renders using the same camera settings then post work, so dont know if it gose here? One thing i would love to know, can i do DOF like a fisheye lens in DAZ or do i need to create that in postwork?

sparrow..jpg
    1366 x 768 - 999K
    TigerAnne said:
    Ruris said:

He's had a run in with Polybius in the arcade. Now he's having a full-body seizure, with his feet savagely kicking him for being a bad kid who plays video games. Poor Jane's terrified at what she's seeing. She's at least running to get an adult.

A fan of retro games eh? I remember watching that featured on Cinemassacre. Some comment on the piece; the scene conveys fun and has a seriously whacky pose (one hell of a seizure). However, the (original) story is hard to understand and leave the audience to imagine their own crazy scene (you and me bro, its dance off!). Perhaps a few more gamer standing around with a zombied look and one of the arcade machine postworked with a swirling graphic thingy to convey some kind of subliminal brain washing.

You can give the latest 4.12 beta a shot, it got a huge performance boost and even 20-30% convergence has very little noise for some scenes I made.