September 2019 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Depth of Field

L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

Are you new to the 3D World? Are you at the beginning stages of learning 3D rendering? Have you been around for a little bit but feel you could benefit from some feedback or instruction? Have you been around awhile and would like to help other members start their creative journey? Well then come and join the fun as we host our newest challenge...

"Focus/Depth of Field"

This month's focus will be on Depth of Field/Focus.

Depth of Field is basically controlling what part of the image is in sharp focus. A couple of explanations, from the world of photography (so not everything is applicable, but the definitions and basics do apply when rendering).

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/depth-of-field.htm

http://digital-photography-school.com/understanding-depth-field-beginners/

Also, keep in mind all the various items covered over the past several months, because things like Portraits can greatly benefit from applying DoF.

So far this year we have covered the following topics:

Composition

Lighting

Posing

Action & Props

Scenes and Landscapes

Portrait Rendering

Inspiration

Tips and Examples, Studio:

http://flipmode3d.com/depth-of-field-daz-studio/

http://www.versluis.com/2015/04/how-to-render-with-depth-of-field-in-daz-studio/

http://www.sharecg.com/v/52258/browse/3/PDF-Tutorial/DAZ-Studio-Tutorial-Depth-of-Field

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/19195/daz-depth-of-field-settings-a-general-starting-point

Tips and Examples, Poser:

http://www.keindesign.de/stefan/poser/dof_p5.html

http://www.trekkiegrrrl.dk/DOFtut1.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNTpR_qiA1Y

Tips and Examples, Bryce:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3855/

Tips and Examples, Carrara:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gliniNqq8_k

Useful Tools:

Poser: DoF Script http://www.sharecg.com/v/85624/browse/8/Script/Easy-DoF-for-poser

Other Helpful Links

When following tutorials, be cognizant of the different applications (Bryce, Daz Studio, Poser, Carrara Blender, etc.) and different render engines (3Delight, Iray, Reality, etc). Techniques for one may not apply directly to another. If you have some favorite portrait lighting and composition tips, please share them in this WIP thread.

Composition Golden Ratio helpers:
Bryce
DAZ Studio (Also, DS has a built in Rule of Thirds guide; just select Show Thirds Guide in the Viewport context menu)

Don't forget to look at previous themed contests where information and hints are available. Here is the depth of field challenge from last September.

For a list of the current contest rules, please see this thread : Challenge Rules.

Post edited by L'Adair on

Comments

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited August 2019

As the "host" of the challenge this month, I want to include my own DOF tutorial.

I have a background in photography, even sold some of my work on my own website. But when I started with Daz, I couldn't make heads or tails of the DOF feature of the camera. I found and used a tutorial in the forums and managed to muddle through an image or two, but I still didn't understand what I did that made it work.

And then one day, it clicked. One day, I finally realized what each of the settings did when DOF was turned on.

So I wrote a tutorial which I posted to one of my Art Studio threads. The thing is, the tutorial is flawed. If you follow the tutorial as written, you'll find the framing of your scene has changed. The tutorial shows you a trick to get the framing back. But as it turns out, none of that is really necessary: that's the flaw.

At the same time, if you follow along with the tutorial, I think you'll have a better understanding of what each of the settings do. So I left it as is, and added links to a couple of video tutorials at the bottom of the post.

We all learn differently, and if you have trouble following the information in the links in the OP, maybe my tutorial will help make the information "click" for you. So here's the link to my post "How To Get A Blurred Background In Daz Studio Using The DOF Camera Options."

The video tutorials I added at the bottom of that post are @deathbycanon's Depth of Field Tutorial and @DAZ_ann0314's Daz Studio Depth of Field. both are excellent resources.

We want you to have fun while you learn, so if anything about DOF is giving you trouble, please ask us about it in this thread.

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • Decided to try and recreate my 'Cyber-Wolverine' character from last month. Still needs work due to the lateness of the hour when I set things up, but here's my start.

sept2019a.png
    800 x 1294 - 1M
  • marjoemartinomarjoemartino Posts: 61
    edited September 2019

I was working on this character and wanted to see how both variants looked together so I thought this would be a good start for this month.

Rendered in DAZ Studio 4.12(beta) Postwork: Paintshop pro 2020: added the sky in the background because I think I turned off the dome in the render settings, All other work done in DAZ studio 4.12(beta)

Elthea and Elthea.jpg
    1358 x 725 - 190K
    Post edited by marjoemartino on
  • Kaye KayeKaye Kaye Posts: 210
    edited September 2019

I caved and downloaded the 4.12 beta...and wow on the slash on Render times! I'm on a Mac, so no denoiser for me, but I have a lot less render noise over all. :)

This has depth shaders applied to the wall and tower. Not much, but I find lowering the gloss helps with the DoF.

Whome.jpg
    1800 x 2700 - 3M
    Post edited by Kaye Kaye on
  • Ugh. I've been meaning to join these contests, and since I missed last month due to the migraine from hell (disabled, chronic migraines are part of it. Woohoo), I need to stop procrastinating and start doing at some point, right? Rendered in Daz 4.11, postwork in Photoshop. I want to work through the tutorials in this thread, because I still feel like I can't replicate these results, figuring how to program it for different styles of scenes. Almost every time, I feel like I'm using the tool for the first time.

Resources used:

Eden Gen 8
    Space Dock
    Scifi Freight Containers
    Charli Hair Gen 8 Female
    X-fashion Scifi Body Suit

Premade30markedsmall.png
    900 x 1350 - 2M
  • Okay here's mine called Lazy Day. DOF applied to front and back. Front - not so much. 

Lazy Day.jpg
    1440 x 1152 - 1M
  • OpenStoryOpenStory Posts: 31
    edited September 2019

Okay, here's mine called Lazy Day. DOF applied to back and a little to the front. Some post work done in photoshop and topaz.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Kaye KayeKaye Kaye Posts: 210
    edited September 2019

I promise not to spam with images...but one of the links suggested using colour instead of camera blur for depth of field. Though I can't remember which one now!

I did cheat a little with the Depth Shader, though that seemed to create a mist over the bricks. It worked for the character, so I left it alone ;-)

dia.jpg
    1000 x 1500 - 997K
    Post edited by Kaye Kaye on
  • Kaye Kaye, the depth shader and mist yeild really cool effects. Gonna have to look into getting and playing wiht some depth shaders, I think. Right now, that's part of what I do with a lot of my images in PS- handpainting additional hls/shadows to tweak color tone, and contrast, and clarity. it works fine, but I wouldn't mind learning how to do it more directly in Daz from the beginning.

• @katedelongwriter. I think the mist thing was something to do with how the wall was constructed ( I know nothing about making assets!) as the mist has never appeared before with Depth Shader. It could also be the HDR - Erupiter by Orestes, my absolute fave at the minute for everything! The Depth Shaders are good. I've had to play about with them, but the best thing has simply been lowering gloss on background props.

Oh, and I'm with you and am a Photoshop tinkerer to the nth degree! :)

• RurisRuris Posts: 123
    edited September 2019

This was done for some photography study, to see what really makes a good photo ticks. The original had nice leading lines that goes into the horizon, giving a better sense of depth, too bad I dont have a low wall/barrier to shoot with.

The not looking at camera is intentional as did the original photo, though the real deal has more expression. 

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Version b here with some texture work to have him closer to the character from last month as well as giving him his expresion. Rendered it last night and should have posted it sooner, but got destracted with other things. 

sept2019b.png
    800 x 1294 - 1M

Version b here with some texture work to have him closer to the character from last month as well as giving him his expresion. Rendered it last night and should have posted it sooner, but got destracted with other things. 

This is a single plane fire prop?

• Ruris said:

Version b here with some texture work to have him closer to the character from last month as well as giving him his expresion. Rendered it last night and should have posted it sooner, but got destracted with other things. 

This is a single plane fire prop?

@Ruris, it's the first prop from Porsimo's Morphing Flames, scaled up to about 565.4%

Kaye Kaye said:

@katedelongwriter. I think the mist thing was something to do with how the wall was constructed ( I know nothing about making assets!) as the mist has never appeared before with Depth Shader. It could also be the HDR - Erupiter by Orestes, my absolute fave at the minute for everything! The Depth Shaders are good. I've had to play about with them, but the best thing has simply been lowering gloss on background props.

Oh, and I'm with you and am a Photoshop tinkerer to the nth degree! :)

I don't have the shaders, so I'm only guessing, but it looks to me as though the shader you used added the mist. Maybe a map in the glossy reflectivity parameter… something that can vary depending on the light.  In your second image, the mist appears to be on the back wall, but not the pillar. It also looks like you used a touch of bloom. It that wasn't postwork, using the Bloom Filter might have brought out the mist more.

I find your second image more interesting because your character is actively doing something. Although I'd never heard of using color to create DOF, it certainly is working in this image. The eye is drawn to the character, her face and her hands, with the background staying in the background.

In the first image with the centaur, she is very lovely and the pose is very feminine and shows off the lines of her human and equine bodies very well. But I don't know why she's there, or why she's gesturing behind her. The story behind the pose is unclear. Is she indicating the castle? Or perhaps the archers protecting her from the castle crenelations? And who is she "talking" with that she'd be making such a gesture? I'd really love to see more of the story in this image.

Ugh. I've been meaning to join these contests, and since I missed last month due to the migraine from hell (disabled, chronic migraines are part of it. Woohoo), I need to stop procrastinating and start doing at some point, right? Rendered in Daz 4.11, postwork in Photoshop. I want to work through the tutorials in this thread, because I still feel like I can't replicate these results, figuring how to program it for different styles of scenes. Almost every time, I feel like I'm using the tool for the first time.

Resources used:

Eden Gen 8
    Space Dock
    Scifi Freight Containers
    Charli Hair Gen 8 Female
    X-fashion Scifi Body Suit

@katiedelongwriter, This is very good. I love the vibrant colors and the figure's face really stands out, in spite of the dark skin.

I'd really love to see a before and after. The finished image is very interesting, but I'm the curious sort, and I'd like to see what you started with.

And welcome to the challenges. smiley

OpenStory said:

Okay, here's mine called Lazy Day. DOF applied to back and a little to the front. Some post work done in photoshop and topaz.

@OpenStory, I really like this image a lot. It feels like part of a professional photoshoot to me.

However, the framing feels a little "off" to be from a pro shoot. I'd expect a wider image, the flowers to be further from the left edge, and camera to be a bit further from the image. The DOF is nice as is, though it wouldn't hurt to be a little stronger, with more of the car in the image, and the front blur including just a touch of the car.

The lighting is almost perfect. Based on the reflection on the car, it looks like you're using an HDRI for lighting. It works everywhere except for the hard shadow on her right arm. A ghost light could be used to soften that shadow. Depending on where you put it, it could also lighten other apects of the image, but you could use it to one side, lighten everything and reduce the Environment Intensity a small amount to compensate. (Render Settings > Environment).

This an image to be proud of as is, and the above suggestions are really minor; I won't say nit-picky, but possible subtle changes that you might decide improve an already delightful image.

• Sci-TasiaSci-Tasia Posts: 6
    edited September 2019

Okay.  I am actually entering this challenge before the last few remaining days in the month in hopes of getting some feedback.  I have spent the entire day on this thing, and something does not seem quite right.  The depth of field toward the back is too slight, and the depth of field in the foreground a bit too pronounced.  Meanwhile, the character is too in focus.  If I apply much depth of field, she appears miniature.  

Additionally, I almost have something near photorealistic yet she still looks like a reander. 

I want to use this render for my new graphic novel at screamerboard.com, but it really needs to be photorealistic and not so cartoony.  Yet I cant quite achieve what I need.  

At any rate, this is my entry, and any advice is welcome.  

Programs used: Daz3D for render.  Photoshop CS3 for layering and and attempting to fix the DOF achieved in the original renders.

1. Sunday Afternoon Outfit
    2. Sunny Bikini
    3. Vertigo Ponytail
    4. Layla Hair (with most of the wispy fringes hidden) 
    5. HDRI Beach Super Pack
    At the Beach.jpg
    2750 x 1546 - 2M
    Post edited by Sci-Tasia on

Okay.  I am actually entering this challenge before the last few remaining days in the month in hopes of getting some feedback.  I have spent the entire day on this thing, and something does not seem quite right.  The depth of field toward the back is too slight, and the depth of field in the foreground a bit too pronounced.  Meanwhile, the character is too in focus.  If I apply much depth of field, she appears miniature.  

Additionally, I almost have something near photorealistic yet she still looks like a reander. 

I want to use this render for my new graphic novel at screamerboard.com, but it really needs to be photorealistic and not so cartoony.  Yet I cant quite achieve what I need.  

At any rate, this is my entry, and any advice is welcome.  

Programs used: Daz3D for render.  Photoshop CS3 for layering and and attempting to fix the DOF achieved in the original renders.

1. Sunday Afternoon Outfit
    2. Sunny Bikini
    3. Vertigo Ponytail
    4. Layla Hair (with most of the wispy fringes hidden) 
    5. HDRI Beach Super Pack

You can try to isolate your issues. Off your dome or background first, leaving only the char.

Set your camera by cross checking with another window to see the DOF box is right at the center of the character (face closer to front), you dont want the DOF to be a high number since you want to de-focus the background.

HDRI with background is generally difficult to use, from a newbie perspective, as compared to those HDRI that simulates a 3 point light/studio light (would like to hear the experts here opinion on this). You need to spend a lot of time tuning the 'raws',

• ariochsnowpawariochsnowpaw Posts: 147
    edited September 2019

This needs more work but I wanted to get at least a start going.

Crouching Ogre

I don't feel like I have Props, or scene really integrated although I think I've got compostion and lighting down.  Would appreciate ideas on where to go with this one.

CrouchingOgre.jpg
    1256 x 1299 - 350K
    Post edited by ariochsnowpaw on
  • no noseno nose Posts: 297

Well here's my entry, took a while to optimize it so I can actually render, and I kinda need to work on the camera angles and enviorment

1.png
    889 x 500 - 715K
  • Sisyphus1977Sisyphus1977 Posts: 305
    edited September 2019

My first version for this challenge.  As always, it needs some work, so suggestions are welcomed.  Overall I like the concept and since I picked up my iPhone prop, I seem to be incorporating it into more of my scenes smiley.

DOF v1.jpg
    1574 x 1576 - 2M
    Post edited by Sisyphus1977 on
  • ariochsnowpawariochsnowpaw Posts: 147
    edited September 2019
    @sisyphus1977xx - That's brilliant!
    Post edited by ariochsnowpaw on
  • GordigGordig Posts: 9,024
    edited September 2019

@sisyphus1977xx, it's a good render, except that...he wouldn't actually be holding the phone that way, because selfie cameras exist for that very reason.

Post edited by Gordig on
  • L'Adair said:
    OpenStory said:

@OpenStory, I really like this image a lot. It feels like part of a professional photoshoot to me.

However, the framing feels a little "off" to be from a pro shoot. I'd expect a wider image, the flowers to be further from the left edge, and camera to be a bit further from the image. The DOF is nice as is, though it wouldn't hurt to be a little stronger, with more of the car in the image, and the front blur including just a touch of the car.

The lighting is almost perfect. Based on the reflection on the car, it looks like you're using an HDRI for lighting. It works everywhere except for the hard shadow on her right arm. A ghost light could be used to soften that shadow. Depending on where you put it, it could also lighten other apects of the image, but you could use it to one side, lighten everything and reduce the Environment Intensity a small amount to compensate. (Render Settings > Environment).

This an image to be proud of as is, and the above suggestions are really minor; I won't say nit-picky, but possible subtle changes that you might decide improve an already delightful image.

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am a photographer, lol. So I tend to look at things that way when I create my images. The flowers are actually hiding a dforce issue with the dress. Because this dress is so very difficult to work with in this pose, I had to be a bit creative when I placed her on the car like she would be in real life. smiley The flowers were added in photoshop. 

OpenStory said:
    L'Adair said:
    OpenStory said:

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am a photographer, lol. So I tend to look at things that way when I create my images. The flowers are actually hiding a dforce issue with the dress. Because this dress is so very difficult to work with in this pose, I had to be a bit creative when I placed her on the car like she would be in real life. smiley The flowers were added in photoshop. 

And I was wondering where you found the roses and basket prop! lol

OpenStory said:
    L'Adair said:
    OpenStory said:

I'm gonna take a shot that you probably animate the dress without the car on a flat ground, then when finished you moved her on the car yes? And due to the curved surface, it doesnt gel properly. The improved version would be to animate her on top of the car and 'float' down on it, lots of time taking trials to get the dress draped over curved surface and probably explosion when you cross over the car. Some moderators could make dforce lined up as the future topics.

A question, from a photographer perspective, how similar is the color correction technique used in a render vs real photos? I watch a lot of phlearn and whatnots, the camera raw dials is the same, but what you end up using more would be definitely different. I usually end up bumping exposure more than 1, which would be ridiculous in a real photo in most situation.

no nose said:

Well here's my entry, took a while to optimize it so I can actually render, and I kinda need to work on the camera angles and enviorment

You got dark ideas, friend. Are those prisoners running towards the shooters?

• Gordig said:

@sisyphus1977xx, it's a good render, except that...he wouldn't actually be holding the phone that way, because selfie cameras exist for that very reason.

What if the selfie camera wasn't working?