What the hell is Gordig doing now?

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,108

I think that's just distortion from playing around with environment settings without fully understanding what they did. I'm working on a scene right now and noticed that setting a dome mode with ground seemed to distort the hell out of the HDRI.

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,767

Huh. Lucky coincidence!

edited July 2019

Flee

The hardest thing about this scene isn't even in this render. I had the idea to put my centaur couple in the background, but had trouble getting the human's dForce dress to drape over the centaur's back in a satisfactory way. I've tried everything I could think of, and am working my way through the massive threads about working with dForce, but if anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them. As is, it's just another entry in the continuing misadventures of Bort the Present.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Please remember to limit the image for forum viewing.   If this is done right clicking on it will allow viewers that wish to to bring it up to full size.

Chohole said:

Please remember to limit the image for forum viewing. 

Noted.

Back to Basics

I debated whether I even wanted to upload this to my gallery, since I definitely didn't bring my A game on it, but it amused me enough.

Savior

Mechanics: geoshells, lighting and environment, geometry editing

Ugh, this one was a nightmare to set up. It took endless fiddling with emissive luminance and tone mapping to get even close to the look I wanted, and experimenting with additional lights just made things worse. It certainly didn't help that I'm pretty short on nature environments. I'd like to revisit this at some point in the future, but for now it just needs to be done.

• WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893
    Gordig said:

Oh no, they're sleeping in class. indecision I wonder what their cat projects will look like.

edited August 2019
    Post edited by Gordig on

Yopiter

Just a fun little project to turn my wife into her favorite senshi.

Joyride

Threw this together for the monthly freebie contest. 

Gordig said:

She says Hello, you fool, I love you! Come join the joyride... [whistles in Roxette]

And now, for something completely different...

The whole reason I got into 3D modeling in the first place was to add VFX to video projects. I've been playing around with the whole suite of Autodesk products, mainly 3DS Max and Motionbuilder with some brief attempts at Maya, but I don't love any of them. Cinema 4D works directly in After Effects, so it's much easier to incorporate  models into live action video, and my second go-round, I've been finding C4D much easier and more enjoyable to use than I did the first time, and so far, there's nothing I've tried to do in 3DS Max that I can't do more easily in C4D. I haven't really played around with the animation tools much, so I may still have a place for Motionbuilder in my workflow, such as it is, but I've already made some attempts at placing a Daz figure into video complete with camera tracking.

However, that's not what this post is about.

I also decided to take my first crack at sculpting an object, spurred on by this thread requesting a proper fedora for G8M. I've watched tutorials, I absconded with one of my wife's drawing tablets, and I've been experimenting a lot, but I'm definitely making some progress. So now, I present to you the evolution of this model:

Mk. I - just beginning to familiarize myself with the tools

Mk. II - refining the basic shape

Starting to compare the model to real-world references for greater accuracy

Mk. III - really getting there with the shape, now it's time to fit it to G8. Within Daz, it's clear that the proportions are wrong.

Mk. IV - back into C4D, starting to crack the code of shaping the brim the way I want, and reshaping the hat to proper proportions.

Picked up G8 Centaurs, so here's another chapter in the lives of Tallos and Kesra:

That's the One

They're adopting a pet? smiley

Right. I'm glad that came through.

Mister Ma

Mechanics: sculpting, sculpting, sculpting

As soon as I had the idea for this scene, I knew it would be a nightmare to create. The actual Daz portion only took a couple hours, and the hardest part was actually getting all the clothing to fit Michael correctly because I have a pretty limited male wardrobe. I'm glad I was able to realize my vision, and I gained a lot of familiarity with C4D's tools that I can apply to other projects.

"Mister Ma was such a nice old man, but don't you think it's strange how he never seemed to get off that horse?"

yes I love how the dad is all "This is normal!" laughlaughlaugh while the little girl seems to think that's a very odd-looking horse.

TigerAnne said:

yes I love how the dad is all "This is normal!" laughlaughlaugh while the little girl seems to think that's a very odd-looking horse.

“Waaaaaaait a second...”

Keeping with the theme of the contest that inspired this scene: was he really a secret centaur, it was that just a story the kids told each other?

Haunted

Mechanics: lighting, render settings, shaders

With my Daz budget as limited as it is, I turned to @SickleYield's Creating Dust and Atmosphere in Iray tutorial to figure out how I can make Godrays as cheap as free. Surprisingly, the Daz Dust shader seems completely inadequate to the task, but after following her instructions, downloading her presets, and doing some additional fiddling because it still didn't seem to work, I finally got the effect I was after, and would have a much easier time realizing the effect in the future. I had a second Godray coming through the window to simulate moonlight, but it ended up feeling a little too busy, so I disabled it. There's also a starry sky backdrop that should be visible through the window but isn't. It took a lot of fiddling to get the lighting right,but I'm pretty pleased with the overall look. 

"I think we should get out of here! What if we run into a ghost?!"

"Don't be ssssstupid. Ghosssstssss aren't real."

I think she's had enough already! yeslaugh

TigerAnne said:

I think she's had enough already! yeslaugh

YOU THINK YOU'RE BETTER THAN ME?!?!

edited September 2019

Work in progress. I'm trying a few different things here, like deciding which hair I prefer and playing around with surface settings to make the water look more....watery. For hair, the Sideswept ROse hair in the first image looks a lot better to me, and more like actual hair, and also has a "wet" material setting. The only thing I don't like about it is that, due to the way the basic mesh is designed, there doesn't seem to be a way to have it cover her breast without also covering half her face. The Channen hair will suffice, and it definitely looks better than Charli hair, but it's not what I'd prefer. Honestly, the real reason I'm even posting these is to see if they get deleted. If they turn out to be too saucy for Daz, then I can stop being coy about the nudity.

Centaurwash.png
    1600 x 1600 - 4M
    Centaurwash 2.png
    1600 x 1600 - 4M
    Post edited by Gordig on
  • HylasHylas Posts: 4,767

^ Assuming those are iray renders, I find the easiest way to do water is to just apply the iray water shader that comes with the base program and then apply a bump map.

Something seems to have gone wrong with the skin settings of the scared Centaur. The seam between arms and torso is clearly visible.

It happened when I applied a texture, then undid, and I liked the effect, but I guess I never looked closely enough at it to see that it was the seam. Re-rendering.

And both of those are with the Iray water shader, so probably the issue I'm having is with the lighting. The first render was too dark, so I turned the refraction down, and now it just looks like nothing. I'd thought about a bump map, but didn't want to mess with that until I got the other settings right.

Thanks as always for your comments.

edited September 2019

Tightened the framing, added SquarePeg's Stable Builder assets to flesh out the environment. It's probably too busy, because that's just how I roll, but I like the actual subject enough.

Centaurwash 3.png
    1600 x 1200 - 4M
    Post edited by Gordig on

I'm experimenting with creating soap bubbles. It'll probably take all night for it to bake all 8000 spheres, but then I can export it to Daz and see how it looks.

berbles.png
    1920 x 1039 - 949K

GUTS

For this month's freebie contest.

Just goofing around with C4D's hair feature.

Thinned the hair out, adjusted dynamics settings, reframed...