Mens Suits and a proper Fedora too please!

I've been looking for suit/s, dress shoes and hat options for Gen8 men. Theres a few items...but they look like simplistic Gen2 wardrobe updated to fit Gen8 and not Dforce enablied. Also, a pair of real looking dress shoes would be awesome. Theres one pair of dress shoes, that beautiful crafted. But, their a strange l_ o_n_g toebox style and to me, they just look to odd to put into a scene. 

So wardrobe designers, I hope theres some newly crafted threads coming for the well dressed men of DAZ. If not, anyone know where I can find a proper suit for my gents? 

Comments

• andreretogasserandreretogasser Posts: 256
    edited August 2019

In fact, there are several products, but as you noticed many leave a lot to be desired ... In practice, I often use this here  (least work with customization) with G8:

https://www.daz3d.com/trading-floor-outfit-for-genesis-3-male-s

Post edited by andreretogasser on
  • Not exactly a fedora, but it could work  https://www.daz3d.com/hipster-outfit-for-genesis-8-male-s

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,121
    edited August 2019

Not exactly a fedora, but it could work  https://www.daz3d.com/hipster-outfit-for-genesis-8-male-s

I have that in my wishlist, but never looked closely enough at it to realize the hat didn’t have any indents. How strange. 

I may take a crack at a fedora. I’ve been learning a lot about modeling, and a hat is an easier undertaking than, say, a full suit. Plus, I never leave the house without a fedora on, so I’ve got plenty of references to work with. 

Post edited by Gordig on
  • Not exactly a fedora, but it could work  https://www.daz3d.com/hipster-outfit-for-genesis-8-male-s

Thanks you very much for the suggestion. It is a hat, but not quite the dress hat, I'm looking for. 

• In fact, there are several products, but as you noticed many leave a lot to be desired ... In practice, I often use this here  (least work with customization) with G8:

https://www.daz3d.com/trading-floor-outfit-for-genesis-3-male-s

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I do agree with you, currently, thats about as good as a mens suits get in the World of DAZ3D. Which is a sad statement, since we're well into GEN 8 characters and DForce wardrobe. That retro fitting non-Dfroce GEN 3 clothing onto GEN 8 characters is the only option we have, for a sharp dressed man in a scene.  Also, in my expreances. Trying to fit GEN 8 charatures into GEN 3 wardrobe,  is a pain in the ass and never really look good. So, I'll most likely just continue with casual clothing till some creative geniuse of DAZ wardrobe, offers a proper suit for men. 

• Gordig said:

I may take a crack at a fedora. I’ve been learning a lot about modeling, and a hat is an easier undertaking than, say, a full suit. Plus, I never leave the house without a fedora on, so I’ve got plenty of references to work with. 

Sounds like a project, right up your ally then! Good luck if you give it a go

Well, here's my first serious attempt at sculpting anything. Haven't quite worked out how to curl the brim up yet, but it's certainly been instructive, so let's see how attempt #2 shakes out.

Fedorender.png
    800 x 600 - 91K
  •  

Gordig said:

Well, here's my first serious attempt at sculpting anything. Haven't quite worked out how to curl the brim up yet, but it's certainly been instructive, so let's see how attempt #2 shakes out.

Its starting to look like a hat, good luck!

I feel like I'm starting to get a handle on this. Still no closer to figuring out how to make the brim curl, though.

Fedorender 2.png
    800 x 600 - 84K

Getting warmer.

IMG_5593[1].JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 1M
    edited August 2019

Leather because I don't have a felt shader.

fedorafront.png
    1600 x 1600 - 2M
    fedorangle.png
    1600 x 1600 - 2M
    fedoratop.png
    1600 x 1600 - 4M
    Post edited by Gordig on

this is my thead now k?

Fedorender 3b.png
    800 x 600 - 131K
    Fedorender 3a.png
    800 x 600 - 164K
    edited August 2019

Figured out how to make a decent band, although it's a bit angular for the time being. I made a crappy bump map for it, and threw a felt texture on the hat itself.

Fedorender 4.png
    1600 x 1000 - 946K
    Post edited by Gordig on
  • damselnoir007damselnoir007 Posts: 24
    edited August 2019
    Gordig said:

Figured out how to make a decent band, although it's a bit angular for the time being. I made a crappy bump map for it, and threw a felt texture on the hat itself.

It is coming together nicely, good work w the band. Can you smooth the fabir of the hat. IMO, it has too much laether like rough surface.

Post edited by damselnoir007 on
  • Thank for the link, I've seen this suit before. But...it just doesnt have the detail, I'm hoping to find. The shoes and pants, they look a bit 1st gen compaired to wardobe being offered for Gen8 females today. 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,799

My Dad wore a fedora

but

now I see Neckbeards do and they tip them devil

Gordig said:

It is coming together nicely, good work w the band. Can you smooth the fabir of the hat. IMO, it has too much laether like rough surface.

I lowered the strength of the bump map, so the effect isn't as extreme. What I want to do is change the resolution at which it applies the map, but I can't figure out how to do that yet. Maybe I have to edit the UV map or something. At any rate, I smoothed out the band.

Fedorender 5.png
    1600 x 1000 - 3M
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926

There is this fedora for $1.99 in the PC+.

• sjaammonssjaammons Posts: 185

Eeesh, Michael 3, I shudder at trying to parent and rig anything from a Pre-Gen 1 figure and trying to make it not look like poo. Buut then again you get what you paid for with some of that older PC + stuff.

sjaammons said:

Eeesh, Michael 3, I shudder at trying to parent and rig anything from a Pre-Gen 1 figure and trying to make it not look like poo. Buut then again you get what you paid for with some of that older PC + stuff.

You just parent it, place it, strip off the off old rig, transfer the new rig, save as wearable preset. You don't even have to go through and do a lot of poses to make morphs for to avoid poke-through since it's a hat. Of if you have the Wear-Them-All products fit it to G3M or similar & then fit it to G8M or similar.

edited August 2019

Figured out how to resize the bump map, so it looks more like actual felt now, and added to the band.

Fedorender 6.png
    1600 x 1000 - 2M
    Fedorender 6B.png
    1600 x 1000 - 2M
    Post edited by Gordig on

Looks good. I did buy the low-poly fedora for $1.99 as it was just the shape I think of. I had one myself about 18 years ago but lost it. Good ones are not cheap. 

• RKane_1RKane_1 Posts: 3,037

Please have a few morphs included to increase brim size or fold the brim more/less and you have a product worth $ for sure. :)

edited September 2019

Morphs are a little beyond my ken at this point. I'm still just at the sculpting phase, and have no idea how to rig or morph yet. I'll tell you one thing that WILL be included, however...

Fedorender 7.png
    1600 x 1000 - 589K
    Post edited by Gordig on

If you send me the file, I can knock out a few morphs for you, no problem. :)

And the feather is simply pimpliscious. :)

• Love how it's coming along, @Gordig! And the addition of that feather is great! There is never enough fedora hats :D

The one I have been using up till now is Elditch Seeker on a G3M transferred via Wear Them All.

• SevrinSevrin Posts: 6,301

There's a fedora in this pose/prop set, and the bundle which includes a decent trenchcoat is in Fastgrab today.