Realistic Renders.....NOT!! 13: A new room to fill!

RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
edited March 2015 in The Commons

Hello once again 'RR... Not' people,

Just in case we hit p100 on the old thread with me AWOL I decided I'd better start a new thread.

So, welcome to the new thread folks. If you can render it, be it in DS, Reality, Luxus, Bryce, Vue or Poser then you are more than welcome to post it here. We can also share tips and techniques, so, if you don't mind sharing how you created your masterpiece, feel free to tell all about the creative process. If there's anything you need to know, we 'RR.. Not' folk are a talented and knowledgeable bunch, so, if you come unstuck we might just be able to help.

Ok, you know the drill now, so post away folks, I look forward to seeing your work

CHEERS!

Old thread: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/18613/P1470/

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    the render on the right has nicer shadows. Nevermind the poke-through of the evening gown. I have trouble posing long dresses.

For the second render, I used the image based lighting from Andrea. The IBL is faster than the Uber area light.

Which figure did you use in the second render? If it's Genesis I can highly recommend Poke-Away, they updated it for G2 recently as well.

CHEERS!
    ...also if you are using Genesis (either "classic" or 2F) you can apply smoothing to the dress if it doesn't have it already. This will cause the clothing's mesh to "collide" with the figure and eliminate most if not all poke through.

Just open the edit menu and select Object/Geometry/Apply Smoothing. Once applied it can be turned off and on. I would turn it off until you are ready to render the scene especially with an older system because it does slow down viewport response when working on a scene. Smoothing and collision iterations can also be adjusted if there still is some poke through, but make these adjustments in small increments until the poke through is gone as too much can produce unwanted results.

Also if this is a Gen4 dress that has has skirt adjustment sliders or handles you can use those to move it away from the leg.

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited November 2013

The dress is Evening Gown for Genesis 2 Female(s). The issue is not with mesh smothing. Instead, I bent the knee for the underdress too much. Do people still use the word slip? I haven't heard that word lately.

edit: nevermind. I should collide the outer dress against the inner dress. Both dresses are colliding against Genesis 2. Bah.. I'm tired. Ok, thanks for reminding me about the mesh colliding/smoothing feature.

Post edited by starionwolf on
    edited November 2013

...you could try setting the under skirt as the collision target for the outer one and see if that works. I ran into the same issue with the Fantasy Wrap for Genesis as it has both an inner and outer layer.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited November 2013

Image based lighting doesn't work well with sky domes. Andrea's lights use distant lights. I'll need to use the Yosemite HDR dome and lights instead. But Andrea's IBL and the Yosemite lights render faster than Uber Area light.

Edit: I just noticed that some HDRI scenes render more slowly than others.

ibl_skydome.jpg
    460 x 576 - 170K
    edited November 2013

I did not see the water until Daz Studio 4 finished rendering the scene.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I used a scene from HDR ProSets Yosemite Pack One.

hdri_water.jpg
    442 x 576 - 103K
  • RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

Heyy,

Glad you all found the new thread.

@Starionwolf: Nice composition. You do have to be careful with photo backgrounds and lighting though. If your lighting doesn't match what's in the photo then it stands out a mile. It may have worked better if you'd used the HDRI lighting from the set which matched the scene.

CHEERS!"

• Yonas AngYonas Ang Posts: 108
    edited November 2013

Cheating my lighting with UE and just 2 spotlight, since I'm using Interjection SSS but AAL haven't got the update for custom shader.

So here is my test render for new character I've just purchased, VH Shiara by Godin.

No matter what I've changed, I can't achieve her skin to be like in the promo image, lol. I want that milky skin looks like, any suggestion ?

1.PNG
    480 x 814 - 886K
    1311233.jpg
    1105 x 918 - 770K
    Post edited by Yonas Ang on
    edited December 1969

Very nice,

She looks like an old school friend of mine. I think the look of the skin in Godin's promo renders is very much down to the lighting used, it could also have been rendered in Poser.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

Heyy,

Glad you all found the new thread.

@Starionwolf: Nice composition. You do have to be careful with photo backgrounds and lighting though. If your lighting doesn't match what's in the photo then it stands out a mile. It may have worked better if you'd used the HDRI lighting from the set which matched the scene.

CHEERS!"

Good point. For the second render, I used the lights that came with the Yosemite sky and water. The lights and shadow look better than my old setup with distant lights and one bright spotlight.

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

Very nice,

She looks like an old school friend of mine. I think the look of the skin in Godin's promo renders is very much down to the lighting used, it could also have been rendered in Poser.

CHEERS!

Ah, yes certainly it was rendered in Poser, since the description no DAZ mats has been made. But, i just can't resist that face, so I purchased it, haha.

Glad that only need little adjusment with spec and bump, everything else works normally.

So no matter what, I just can't achieve the same result as Poser render.
    Hmm interesting, Daz tend to have that yellowish asian skin color, meanwhile Poser have the looks of milky skin like that, I've began to realize that recently.

Maybe I'll try to play with the lighting a bit for more, just to confirm this.

edited December 1969

Hi Yonas Ang, I have the opposite problem. The generation 2 and 3 skin textures look better in Poser 9 than in Daz Studio.

I discovered that easy environments winter comes with its own light set. The shadows that the main distant light casts is nice. I just need to increase the shadow samples.

Laura_bear.jpg
    516 x 610 - 112K
  • BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited November 2013

Nice renders folks the conversion from png to Jpeg downgrades the quality but allows me to post multiple pics better quality on my D/A page

374.jpg
    1600 x 851 - 60K
    371.jpg
    1600 x 851 - 48K
    368.jpg
    1600 x 851 - 62K
    367.jpg
    1600 x 851 - 75K
    Post edited by Bobvan on
    edited December 1969

Bobvan, I like the lighting. Your scenes look brighter than my last render. I should add a weak spotlight to brighten Laura's face a bit. Oh wait, her skin texture is supposed to look like that. But thanks for reminding me about lighting people's faces so that I can see the details.

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    edited December 1969

Thanks its one of the reasons I like using the Luxrender that and the fact you can control lighting while rendering

edited December 1969

...I find I have a lot of control with the AALs and ASLs.

...though Reality/Lux does have the advantage of being able to turn any mesh into a light source.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...I find I have a lot of control with the AALs and ASLs.

...though Reality/Lux does have the advantage of being able to turn any mesh into a light source.

Err, actualy you could do that in DAZ without Reality/Lux, by using uber light area.

I can't wait for AAL to be updated, so I could use SSS shader else than AoA shader, without any problem with the transparency.

• K T OngK T Ong Posts: 483
    edited December 1969

A recent VUE render I did...

2_Bards_1365x768.png
    1365 x 768 - 2M
    edited December 1969

wow, the trees and grass look realistic. I like the white mountain in the back too.

edited November 2013

That's what I find so great about VUE; you can do very realistic vegetation. Not to mention epic mountainscapes. :-)

Your second render featuring the lady by the lake looked great, too, BTW. Though I'm a bit worried her skirt might get wet and dirty!

Post edited by K T Ong on
    edited November 2013

K T Ong said:
    That's what I find so great about VUE; you can do very realistic vegetation. Not to mention epic mountainscapes. :-)

I like the mountain and the big stone in the foreground, if I may ask, is that fog or but is it intended to be overbright or that how vue render looks like ?

My new render, trying to get the milky skin color using translucency end up with lot of noise.... >.< so I have to soft blur the image a bit.

Rendered in DAZ, using : UE, 1 spotlight, and 1 distant light

http://fav.me/d6vffcv
    (Deviantart link)

Post edited by Yonas Ang on
    edited December 1969

Yonas Ang said:

Ah, yes certainly it was rendered in Poser, since the description no DAZ mats has been made. But, i just can't resist that face, so I purchased it, haha.

Glad that only need little adjusment with spec and bump, everything else works normally.

Hmm interesting, Daz tend to have that yellowish asian skin color, meanwhile Poser have the looks of milky skin like that, I've began to realize that recently.

Of course, the other thing could be that Godin is using his own light set for it and hasn't made it available to purchase separately. Many years ago I got a freebie texture he'd done called Bonnie and she did come with her own light.

With a lot of Poser characters, I used the EHSS on them and they looked good.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

K T Ong said:

Very nice,

I have Vue myself, but, it bridges with Poser and I stopped using it when I found DSON so limiting. I'm hoping that one day they decide to make a 64-bit version of Bryce and have it bridge fully with DS4.6. The current Bryce is only 32-bit and I haven't heard many good things about it.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    Yonas Ang said:

Of course, the other thing could be that Godin is using his own light set for it and hasn't made it available to purchase separately. Many years ago I got a freebie texture he'd done called Bonnie and she did come with her own light.

With a lot of Poser characters, I used the EHSS on them and they looked good.

CHEERS!
    ...I still use that light set a lot for portrait and character test renders.

edited December 1969

I used it a lot myself, it's still a really good skin too.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    K T Ong said:

Very nice,

I have Vue myself, but, it bridges with Poser and I stopped using it when I found DSON so limiting. I'm hoping that one day they decide to make a 64-bit version of Bryce and have it bridge fully with DS4.6. The current Bryce is only 32-bit and I haven't heard many good things about it.

CHEERS!
    ...that's one of the reasons I never adopted Vue. As I also understand the posing feature in Vue is somewhat of a memory hog as well.

That is what turned me to learning Carrara 8.5 pro for it does support Genesis and allows me to pose characters just as easily as with Daz Studio.

edited December 1969

Carrara is a bit pricey for me right now, but, it was what got me into all this in the first place. I got Carrara 5 on a cover DVD, but, it didn't have any content with it, and Daz told me that as 6 had just come out that I couldn't get access to the 5 content. It was while I was looking at the Daz site that I saw DS and the rest is history. I did get Carrara 5 Pro on a cover DVD later on and it had content, I didn't study it much though as I was then heavily into DS.

CHEERS!

edited December 1969

...I managed to get the 8.5 upgrade during the intro sale this past summer.

edited December 1969

It's still reduced now, but still too much for me.

CHEERS!

edited November 2013

Yonas Ang said:
    I like the mountain and the big stone in the foreground, if I may ask, is that fog or but is it intended to be overbright or that how vue render looks like ?

Thank you, but I'm not quite sure what you're referring to in your question. :)

What you see is already the original render. I didn't increase the brightness of the light sources. In VUE you can add clouds to your scene and adjust their location and altitude, and in the present render I placed some in front of the mountain. Perchance that's the answer you seek... ;-)

Post edited by K T Ong on
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:
    K T Ong said:

Very nice,

CHEERS!

Thanks!

Hey, VUE bridges with DS4.6 as well. That was how I brought the two human figures into my scene!

This discussion has been closed.