Problem using mitchell filter in beta(turned out to be the lighting, not the filter mode)

TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,674
edited August 2019 in Daz Studio Discussion

I been using mitchell filter for ages now, as it's usually more crisp and details pop a bit better. Lately, I been getting some artifacting using it, not sure if there is a technical term for it, but I am seeing the polygons on figures. Subd is at 2 like I normally set it. Never used to get that issue before, anyone else seeing this?

Post edited by TheKD on

Comments

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited August 2019

Yup, but my problems are probably not related, as I get them under certain conditions when using th raytracer. But they look similar. In my case it's a matter of using bump and/or displacement with DoF enabled, and using high focal lengths. If I disable either bump or DoF the problem goes away. The artefacts seem to appear exactly where the focal plane is, so my workaround, if I want to use very high focal lengths, is to place the focal plane slightly behind the character and upping F/Stop enough to get a sharp render. Not sure this is of any help with your issues though.

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,674
    edited August 2019

I rarely use DOF, just double checked, and sure enough it was off. The focal plane was about there, so I moved it farther back to rerender, see if anything changes. It shouldn't have any effect since DOF off, but who knows lol. The render is looking fine at first, when it's all grainy, I come back to it like 2 hours later, it's no longer grainy, but the polygons are showing.

OK, no good, polys still showing. Hmmm, I am using a different fancy camera, I will try getting about the same view with a regular old camera, see if that is the issue.

Post edited by TheKD on
    TheKD said:

I rarely use DOF, just double checked, and sure enough it was off. The focal plane was about there, so I moved it farther back to rerender, see if anything changes. It shouldn't have any effect since DOF off, but who knows lol. The render is looking fine at first, when it's all grainy, I come back to it like 2 hours later, it's no longer grainy, but the polygons are showing.

Yes, as I said, my problem is obviously hardcoded into the 3DL raytracer, so not likely related to your issues. So do you get these only with the Mitchell filter? If so, you should report it, and maybe include a simple test scene.

Oh 3DL, I am using Iray, and gaussian filter still got it too, this is odd. Only other thing I can think of is the candles I am using for lighting, gonna pop in some regular lights and see if it's still there.

Ok, totally strange, it actually was the candles with the emissive flames that were causing it. Set up spotlights, colored them warm, approximated them from where the flames were to give off the same feeling lighting, and the polygons are gone.

TheKD said:

Ok, totally strange, it actually was the candles with the emissive flames that were causing it. Set up spotlights, colored them warm, approximated them from where the flames were to give off the same feeling lighting, and the polygons are gone.

Glad to hear you found a workaround:) Still, that shouldn't happen, maybe filing a ticket wouldn't hurt;)

edited August 2019

Once this render finishes, I am going to see if I can reproduce it again in a fresh scene with the same candles reloaded. 1070 is kinda slow at rendering indoor stuff :(

Well damn, I have not been able to replicate the bug in a fresh scene  @.@

Post edited by TheKD on
  • WandererWanderer Posts: 956

I had a similar issue some time ago, which as the other person stated, is likely not related to what happened to you. In my case, I was seeing those strange artifacts, and couldn't figure it out at all. Then I realized that when I set up the scene I was playing around to see what would happen if I did this or that--in this particular instance I was trying to make my character larger than life and had increased his scale insanely large. When I set his scale back to normal, the odd effect disappeared. I know you've likely moved on, but in case a search brings someone else to this thread, I thought I'd mention it.

Interesting tidbit, I do usually scale everything up to make the smallest figure at least 100%, so I have to scale the scene up to match a figure that is supposed to be 75%, but scaled to 100%. So a figure supposed to be at 100% would be 125% and so would all the scene. I find figures scaled down tend to give some hairs and clothes issues with conforming, but going bigger doesn't have as much issues.