Preview image

just wondering, if i create carrara hair or shaders it only shows some kind of textured ball as preview in the objects or shader tab, how do i add a preview image to the objects or shaders i have created? Just wondering :)

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,796

just wondering, if i create carrara hair or shaders it only shows some kind of textured ball as preview in the objects or shader tab, how do i add a preview image to the objects or shaders i have created? Just wondering :)

I don't own it but the paid version of P3dO explorer apparently can do Carrara thumbs

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

Thumbnail images are embedded within the .car file.  P3DO Explorer is the only tool I'm aware of that can set your own thumbnails in a Carrara file. You'll need to render & size your image to 64 x 64 (from memory), and make a backup of your Carrara file first!

Also, it's less risky to save your files uncompressed.

you can control what it captures to an extent though, not much but backgrounds and lighting play a part

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i do it manually with notepad.

need to render the thumbnail you want wiht a scene file and use render preview option.

copy paste the byte array at the top of the file.

use the rar trick to make cbr readable.  typr a rar extention on the file then use win7 to extract, will uncompress the file.

the p3do prolly easier, but is pricy for my near retirement budget.

forgot to mention, render the car for your thumbnail as a square or sides get clipped

search the car file for  TVPr {  to find the thumbnail.  whole operation took about 5 minutes

MyThumbnail

1st bracket

2nd bracket

mythumnail.JPG
    514 x 210 - 25K
    1st bracket.JPG
    619 x 538 - 100K
    2nd bracket.JPG
    636 x 567 - 93K

can use wordpad too, just verify you saving as plain text

• de3ande3an Posts: 915

Thanks Mystarra!

Since P3DO is a Windows only utility I've been looking for a method to do this on the Macintosh.

This works. The only difference was that I needed to unzip the cbr file rather than use an rar utility.

de3an said:

Thanks Mystarra!

Since P3DO is a Windows only utility I've been looking for a method to do this on the Macintosh.

This works. The only difference was that I needed to unzip the cbr file rather than use an rar utility.

smiley

never tried that on the old poser .rsr files 

edited August 2019

7zip on the file works as is works but I never knew about the Byte array being the thumbnail image,

thanks Misty for that gem of information heart

you should add this to the notepad hacks thread

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/155056/notepad-hacks#latest

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • thanks a lot for the information! :) i'll test that out later :)