Carrara Challenge 48 - transcendent or immanent WIP thread

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Jaguars are so cool!!!!  Holly had a great tutorial for fur for the millenium cat that I'm sure could be adapted for a jaguar.  

http://carraracafe.com/tutorials/fur-tutorial-comicbook/

Also, you can put the jaguar diffuse map in the root and tip channels of the hair shader.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

thanks 

is tricky to make the hairs not look like hay straws.

edited August 2019

Vicky in a temple with a sword?  Not yet.  This is Misty's Genesis 8 Male for Carrara with an axe against a background with a shadow catcher.  I got the transition from blue/purple to yellow/orange by setting blue in the backdrop and inserting a plane with alpha transparency.  It is more transparent on the outer edges so the blue comes in more clear there.  Oh, and I grew hair on the barbarian pants to make it look like a fur loin barbarian kilt instead of briefs.

I may take this render, stick it in the scene backdrop, and play with the GMIC filters that Philemo made available to use inside Carrara. 

EDIT:  Credit for the skin maps tattoos are for the Christian 8 character for Genesis 8 male.  

EDIT 2: I made the barbarian available for free at ShareCG.   https://sharecg.com/v/94316/view/21/DAZ-Studio/G8M-Barbarian-FRD01-Untextured    It is in Daz Studio format, so convert each item to blended weight and save as support assets (figure/prop).

Frazetta Composite 1.jpg
    1600 x 1920 - 503K
    setup frazetta 01.JPG
    1551 x 769 - 150K
    setup frazetta 02.JPG
    822 x 843 - 115K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited August 2019

And here you go.  I placed the previous render in the backdrop and applied the GMIC filter for sharpen.  Liked the result.

Frazetta Composite 3 gmic sharpen larger.jpg
    1600 x 1920 - 239K
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

Nice outfit and render, Diomede!  I'm not using the latest Genesis stuff at this point, but happy for those who decide to do so.

And here you go.  I placed the previous render in the backdrop and applied the GMIC filter for sharpen.  Liked the result.

finally!! a male pinup.

Bravissimo!!!heart

There are hair density tools in the hair room to paint out areas you don't want. You could also make a black and white distribution map to exclude the nose and other areas. You would load it in the hair shader under the hair density channel.

With that many hairs, you should see more. Personally, I think you need to make the hairs medium or large. Also use the fur setting. You will also want to brush the hair guides so the hair looks more natural. If you need it to match the color of the skin, copy and past the image map from the model into the hair shader's root and tip color channel.

hair density tools?

as in, not the lasso tool?

ahh alpha map in the hair density channel.  thanks smiley
    black area means no hair?  or is it white for none?

UB and Misty, thanks for the comments on the barbarian dude.  Fantasy themed outfit for Misty's Genesis 8 Female in the works.  Will make it another freebie.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    Mystarra said:

There are hair density tools in the hair room to paint out areas you don't want. You could also make a black and white distribution map to exclude the nose and other areas. You would load it in the hair shader under the hair density channel.

With that many hairs, you should see more. Personally, I think you need to make the hairs medium or large. Also use the fur setting. You will also want to brush the hair guides so the hair looks more natural. If you need it to match the color of the skin, copy and past the image map from the model into the hair shader's root and tip color channel.

hair density tools?

as in, not the lasso tool?

ahh alpha map in the hair density channel.  thanks smiley
    black area means no hair?  or is it white for none?

It is black and white, but it isn't an alpha shader. That would cause transparency. It is more accurate to call it a distribution map. If I recall correctly, white would be where the hair would be most dense. Black would be no hair, and shades of gray would be less dense hair depending on the lightness value.

The hair room has paint tools to paint in or out where you want hair or don't want hair. Using the default tool view, the tools would be on the top left side of the window. Hover your mouse over the tools to show the tool's name.

Still tome?

was just thinkin i havent rendered mike on toast in a few years

edited August 2019

Plenty of time left.

I will open the entry thread tomorrow, and it will be open for two weeks.

• just the render

immamecny of the eschaton1.png
    2000 x 1500 - 3M

@shlomi laszlo, excellent render, creative idea.  Cloak worked very well.  Have me thinking about four horsemen of the Apocolypse.

edited August 2019

pushed my filter shaprness to 100 percent  >.<  light sampling going half hour so far  dohh

it says start time 9:00 pm  end time 8:59 pm  does it mean 8:59 tomorrow?

think the problem is i replicated the swatch of ocean by 20 by 20

Post edited by Mistara on

If you mean the dates, the Entries thread is open until September 8th.

wip ch48 ship ahoy

i stuck an infinite plane under the ocean.  not sure it helped.  i missing a tentacular kraken devil

the bonaventure ship
    and air car from the inship from other store.
    sky preset from the TP skydome/sky set

wip.JPG
    1042 x 650 - 138K
    wip2.JPG
    296 x 436 - 38K
    wip ship.JPG
    270 x 275 - 20K
    ch48 ship.png
    1280 x 960 - 1M
    ch48 ship2.png
    1280 x 960 - 1M
    ch48 ship3.png
    1280 x 960 - 1M
    edited August 2019

enlightened

can moonlight make moonbeams, like sun god rays ?

how do you make the ocean appear to blend in with the horizon?

so far i've lowered the altitude by -1000 inches

used repluication, but the waves look pattern repetitive

wip 48

used a combo of the sunbeams and foam ocean from carrara cafe.

tilted the ocean plane so it rotated z

wip48.JPG
    1184 x 673 - 146K
    48.png
    600 x 281 - 208K

Looking great, Misty.  

Kraken?  PhilW generously donated a scene with free octopus at sharecg.  Maybe you could morph it.

https://www.sharecg.com/v/45866/related/5/3D-Model/Octopus-Underwater-Scene

edited August 2019

tentacoos monster.  thanks, that looks horrifying.  davy jones squidwards chin  eeek iiick

in other woes, deformers squashing head of the ninja sprite.  eyes offset from the eye socket.

loaded her without deformers but her eyes won't close.turning into a level of effort wasnt expecting.

ise pretty sure i bought a ship with a wake prop. ohhh pop eye, she says in olive oil voice

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited August 2019

I've been working on another scene utilizing some pictures I took at a place called Parfrey's Glen. In Wisconsin naturally.

I'm calling it, "Worshipping the God."

The first picture is the background plate.

Here is the scene layout.

I created some simple 2D vertex shapes and applied shadow catchers to them. I also made some shapes for the ground and one of the larger boulders.

Here is the final image.

worshipping the god backdrop.jpg
    6016 x 3384 - 4M
    Screen Shot 2019-08-27 at 7.42.09 PM.png
    2870 x 1708 - 405K
    Screen Shot 2019-08-27 at 7.42.26 PM.png
    3488 x 1718 - 2M
    Screen Shot 2019-08-27 at 7.43.09 PM.png
    3008 x 1696 - 2M
    Screen Shot 2019-08-27 at 7.43.28 PM.png
    2996 x 1678 - 2M
    Worshipping the god.jpg
    3000 x 1687 - 4M
    Post edited by evilproducer on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,656
    edited August 2019

UB - Nice Far Side & Pearl renders, Far Side is my favourite of the two

Misty great looking Greeble & Jaguar. Second of the ship renders is my favourite of your renders

Diomede - excellent Orc (teeth) looking character

shlomi laszlo - groovy horseman !!

EP - Worshiping the God is excellent, although I wouldn't be kneeling down in front of a hungry dinosaur !!!!

Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,656
    edited August 2019

Where do Dragons come from ? An egg, or some supernatural ball of energy that they transcend from ?

Dragon Ball 1 Carrara.png
    2267 x 1039 - 634K
    Dragon Ball 1.png
    2400 x 1800 - 4M
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on

which came first the dragon or the egg smiley

here's two from me

I cut michael down the middle in the model room and applied a new shader to half of him

render angle is looking at the inside of his head through the transparent skin

had to hid his jaws and inner mouth

used shoestring shaders fresnel in the glow channel and made the new shader transparent with refraction - then rendered out with casutics and aura filter

the b and w one is the glow channel

screen grab shows assembly room before I hid jaws and inner mouth and toungue

glow channel looks uber kewl

is there an entries limit?

i kicked in a 10$ gc prize smiley for this challenge..

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234
    Mystarra said:

i kicked in a 10$ gc prize smiley for this challenge..

That's very generous of you Mystarra!  yessmiley

• DesertDudeDesertDude Posts: 1,234

I'm hoping to get an entry in. I'm finally back to work full time + ...which means working 7 days a week to pay of the cascading medical bills from the stupid accident I had earlier this year.  no  I have one of these "new economy" jobs where I can work as much as I want, even if my shifts are over. Anyway, I'll still be here, even if I have to retreat to 'lurk' mode for a while... smiley

Feel Better Soonest

bills can make people resick from anxious woes