WinterMoon Wants Attention.

Comments

• WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893

My kiddos are still having fun in the water. From left to right here are Erica, Sandy, Chaneya, Aubrey and Steffie.

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

I think it turnedout amazing @TigerAnne!!!

I just love seeing all the renders with children!!

• mori_mannmori_mann Posts: 1,152

Looks like some good old-fashioned summer fun :)

Also, there's nothing wrong with rendering images exactly the way you like them. If you like lots of environment, don't let the 'but tha breaks rule x'-polise stop you. Your image, your fun :)

I think it turnedout amazing @TigerAnne!!!

I just love seeing all the renders with children!!

mori_mann said:

Looks like some good old-fashioned summer fun :)

Also, there's nothing wrong with rendering images exactly the way you like them. If you like lots of environment, don't let the 'but tha breaks rule x'-polise stop you. Your image, your fun :)

Thank you, guise! heart My nostalgia wave isn't over yet, so you'll see more of Steffie and her friends in the near future. 

edited August 2019

Edgar has upset his neighbour, Lonzolas the Gothic Elf, once again. Lonzolas is a dude, BTW. His Elven cultural heritage compels him to perform The Dance of Dawn every morning, to greet the jolly sun. This dance has to be performed in the buff, in order to not pollute the bond between Elf and Nature with human-made substances like woven cloth. As long as Lonzolas performs the dance in the privacy of his own secluded garden, there's nothing wrong with that. No, the problem is that Edgar has a bad habit of spying on his neighbours with this telescope. He's supposed to be the Sheriff, so he has to keep a watch out for crimes, right? Elves have a secret "third eye" in the back of their heads, though. (No, it's not visible on the outside.) They know when they're being watched, and by whom. The eye shows them exactly who's peeping.

Post edited by WinterMoon on

Another picture from the kids' day at Hemlock Folly. This time all the sisters sat down for a photo. wink Left to right we have Daisy, Katrina, Shelby and Steffie.

Phil... where are you going with that axe? indecision

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,746
    edited August 2019

^ ohhh spooky! I like it!

The only thing I want to point out is that the contrast between hair and skin is a little harsh, I think the hair should be darker.

Post edited by Hylas on
    Hylas said:

^ ohhh spooky! I like it!

The only thing I want to point out is that the contrast between hair and skin is a little harsh, I think the hair should be darker.

Thank you! I decided not to use that skin for Phil after all. It's got too much of a greyish tone. I'm just going to steal the beard from the character for Phil, and I'll probably find another character the skin works for.

Now Phil has the full stubble he's supposed to have, and he looks like some sort of very strange 80s pop-icon. 

This ghoulish spectre is Huberta Bogweed, and yes she's related to Edgar. She's his sister, and I don't know which one of them I pity the most. (Probably Edgar, although they really just deserve each other.) Huberta is the Fun Police personified. She does not approve of humor, imagination, horseplay and buffoonery. When she finds out there's been escapades going on somewhere nearby, she pays the culprit a visit and lectures them about exactly what they did wrong, and why it was wrong, and what unfortunate consequences it probably has led and will lead to. Then she sends them an invoice for wasting her time, because lecturing is a paid profession.

So, I made another little pixel-doll. This is Ava, a G3 kid. I think she turned out really cute, although her head... I scaled it down, why does it look so huge? 

Another version of the same picture, but with the headlamp on.

It was time to give my G2 models some love and attention. I have a lot of pretty G2 girls, and tons of amazing clothes for that generation which usually only gets stolen by the G8 girls. Emilin, who was featured in my first ever post, has been reborn as a modified Gingersnap. The DoF didn't really want to "take"  in this picture. I tried everything I can think of, but nah. The f-stop is so shallow that only the part of her face between her bangs and ears are inside it. I z-translated the building and the plants way back, and then scaled them up to look like she's actually in front of them and not a mile away. Yeah, no they still look pretty sharp. But then again, I like detailed environment. Even in portraits I like having something in the background that hints at where the characters are, and what they're up to.

Here's another version, where the background is in the original scale and closer to the camera.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    TigerAnne said:

It was time to give my G2 models some love and attention. I have a lot of pretty G2 girls, and tons of amazing clothes for that generation which usually only gets stolen by the G8 girls. Emilin, who was featured in my first ever post, has been reborn as a modified Gingersnap. The DoF didn't really want to "take"  in this picture. I tried everything I can think of, but nah. The f-stop is so shallow that only the part of her face between her bangs and ears are inside it. I z-translated the building and the plants way back, and then scaled them up to look like she's actually in front of them and not a mile away. Yeah, no they still look pretty sharp. But then again, I like detailed environment. Even in portraits I like having something in the background that hints at where the characters are, and what they're up to.

Here's another version, where the background is in the original scale and closer to the camera.

Hmm interesting:) And I just had to ask...did you have DoF enabled?cool I can see the plants are slightly blurred, so I guess it was on=) Did you try moving the camera closer and adjust the focal length? Usually I get too much blur and have to set the F/stop real highsurprise. Nice render, prefer it to the linked version, which has these odd highlights;)

Hmm interesting:) And I just had to ask...did you have DoF enabled?cool I can see the plants are slightly blurred, so I guess it was on=) Did you try moving the camera closer and adjust the focal length? Usually I get too much blur and have to set the F/stop real highsurprise.

Yeah, I did have it on. You don't even get an f/stop if DoF is off, so I'm 100% certain of that. I tried changing the focal lenght and whatnot, it still looked pretty mucg the same. Oh well.

Nice render, prefer it to the linked version, which has these odd highlights;)

Thanks! The "highlights" are just shine on the face. Couldn't get rid of those either, not by changing the glossiness of the skin, and not by lowering the light. I PSed them out in the posted version.

She's very pretty!

I think she overdid it a bit with the lipgloss tho kiss

Hylas said:

She's very pretty!

I think she overdid it a bit with the lipgloss tho kiss

Thanks! Yeah, I left her lips on full glossiness. But to be honest, I used to gloss up like that in the 00s, and my idea for her was that she was an 00s teenager.

edited August 2019

^ I remember that time! I owned some lipgloss, too, but rarely dared to wear it blush (I'm a dude.)

Post edited by Hylas on
    Hylas said:

(I'm a dude.)

I was about 90% sure of that, actually. Don't know how. My psychic abilities leave a bit to be desired.

^ well, my username is male... cheeky

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    TigerAnne said:

Nice render, prefer it to the linked version, which has these odd highlights;)

Thanks! The "highlights" are just shine on the face. Couldn't get rid of those either, not by changing the glossiness of the skin, and not by lowering the light. I PSed them out in the posted version.

Another set of parameters that trip me up on glossiness, from time to time, are those for Top Coat. If Top Coat is 0, the others are hidden by default. I've learned to check for Top Coat when changing the Glossiness parameters seem to have no effect.

I think your redo of Emilin is very nice. I love her expression!

edited August 2019
    L'Adair said:

Another set of parameters that trip me up on glossiness, from time to time, are those for Top Coat. If Top Coat is 0, the others are hidden by default. I've learned to check for Top Coat when changing the Glossiness parameters seem to have no effect.

Oooh, I didn't know! (Seriously, what do I know. I'm still a newb!) Thank you for the tip, I'll try that! BTW, I used your method for changing the stone texture in the picture of the four sisters. Worked a charm, so thank you again! laugh

L'Adair said:

Aww, thanks! I think she's looking for something or someone up around the ruins...

TigerAnne said:
    L'Adair said:

Oooh, I didn't know! (Seriously, what do I know. I'm still a newb!) Thank you for the tip, I'll try that! BTW, I used your method for changing the stone texture in the picture of the four sisters. Worked a charm, so thank you again! laugh

L'Adair said:

Aww, thanks! I think she's looking for something or someone up around the ruins...

You're welcome.
    angel

This is an old scene. I think I set it up around Christmas time last year, but I couldn't figure out how to light it. This time around I plopped a ghost light with a low setting into the classroom, and that did the trick. I replaced the hair on some of the characters, and corrected the worst posing mistakes, but I left it mostly "old." It's a throwback to a simpler runtime, heheh.

In the back we have Allison (Josie 7 with VYK Faith's skintone) and Bonnie (plain Belle 6). Boy-spreading in the foreground is Greg (a free Genesis1 character from ShareCG). I'm not sure about the boy standing up, but I think it's Hayden for Young Teens, with Justin's skin. Then there's actual Justin in a green t-shirt, Rayn and Skyler. These characters wouldn't actually go to school together. First of all they're too spread out in age. In my DS-universe, they also live in different settings that can't all be within one school's area. I think they're attending an "open day" kind of event, where students are bussed out to visit different schools in the district.

TigerAnne said:

This is an old scene. I think I set it up around Christmas time last year, but I couldn't figure out how to light it. This time around I plopped a ghost light with a low setting into the classroom, and that did the trick. I replaced the hair on some of the characters, and corrected the worst posing mistakes, but I left it mostly "old." It's a throwback to a simpler runtime, heheh.

In the back we have Allison (Josie 7 with VYK Faith's skintone) and Bonnie (plain Belle 6). Boy-spreading in the foreground is Greg (a free Genesis1 character from ShareCG). I'm not sure about the boy standing up, but I think it's Hayden for Young Teens, with Justin's skin. Then there's actual Justin in a green t-shirt, Rayn and Skyler. These characters wouldn't actually go to school together. First of all they're too spread out in age. In my DS-universe, they also live in different settings that can't all be within one school's area. I think they're attending an "open day" kind of event, where students are bussed out to visit different schools in the district.

With the wooded background and the varied ages of the kids, I could see this as a "camp" environment where kids go to learn about nature with a combination of classroom and hands on experience. Sort of like a sports camp, but for nature instead. And they could be from all over the region.

I'm impressed that you tackled so many figures in one scene so early in your creative journey. I can see where a few more tweaks would improve the image, but I'm guessing you can as well. (I've seen your improvements in just the few short months I've been involved with the New User challenges.)

Definitely a fun image. I can just imagine what a handful that bunch is going to be for the hapless teacher that sets foot in that classroom!

TigerAnne said:

L'Adair said:

With the wooded background and the varied ages of the kids, I could see this as a "camp" environment where kids go to learn about nature with a combination of classroom and hands on experience. Sort of like a sports camp, but for nature instead. And they could be from all over the region.

It kind of looks like the back of the schoolyard at my old elementary school! 26 years later it's still a rather woodsy plot of land, although with some newer playground equipment. We did go to a "school camp" back in 6th grade, where we went river-rafting, canoeing, visited a quarry museum and a preserved village from the 1700s. It was my first time being away from home for that long without Mom, but I had lots of fun.

L'Adair said:

(I've seen your improvements in just the few short months I've been involved with the New User challenges.)

I'm so glad you're saying that, because very often I feel like my pictures are only getting better because I acquire more stuff to put in them.

L'Adair said:

I can just imagine what a handful that bunch is going to be for the hapless teacher that sets foot in that classroom!

Poor chap has grey hair now, at the age of 23. wink

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,034
    TigerAnne said:
    Poor chap has grey hair now, at the age of 23. wink

I started turning grey at 16. I assumed I'd be full Steve Martin by the time I was 20, but now, all these years later, my hair still has most of its color.

edited August 2019

@Gordig Yeah, it's been almost ten years since I started noticing grey hairs, but I haven't greyed that much since then. I blame the job I had at the time, which did not play well with my stress-disorder.

I did this one for the PC August challenge, where the theme is environment, as in nature and pollution and stuff. The text is just copy-paste from what I wrote there:

Edgar has freckin had it with the kids who do all their underaged smoking, drinking and... ahem in the woods around his homestead. He's tired of having to pick up their empty bottles, fast-food containers and other absolute filth they leave behind in his beloved forest. Edgar may have the personality of a rabid warthog with bad PMS, but he loves that forest. He planted a lot of it himself, with his children's and grandchildren's help, after the Apocalypse. (Edgar is immortal, y'all. Don't mess with him.)

Edgar has found a way to end the rascal's illicit pleasures permanently, however. (Well... in his neck of the woods, anyway. They'll probably find somewhere else to do it.) Edgar knows that people just love a good urban legend, especially the ones about dangerous humanoid monsters that frequent the spots where naughty kids like to hang out. That's why he's dressed head to toe in camouflage, and has a spoopy skull bandanna on.He's settling in, waiting for sunset... Don't worry about the axe. It's just for making him seem extra scary when he burst out of the shrubs and charges at them. Nobody will get hurt... physically.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    TigerAnne said:

Right, so I've been able to render a few scenes I've had to give up on previously. Now that I'm older and wiser (uhh...), and able to fix my previous mistakes, here they are. 

Daisy can see a lot of things her parents and older siblings can't. She knows the mossy corner of their garden is a very magical sort of place.

I love love love this!

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I have no idea how you manage to keep all of that family tree straight. Great renders though and I am quite enjoying the back story

I love love love this!

Thank you! heart

I have no idea how you manage to keep all of that family tree straight. Great renders though and I am quite enjoying the back story

I have it all written down on LiveJournal, in case I forget. And yeah, I sometimes have to think a bit to figure out how two characters are related. A bit of Edgar's family chronicles can be found here. Warning: It's very, very stupid.