How does one lock both hands on a Prop?

Hi all,

I have to begin to say that I love this program so far!! 

I do however come to challenges that I try and research and solve on my own, but it doesn't always go according to plan. I have been trying t ofigure out by searching posts how to change a pose, but not loose the 'location' of the hands on a prop. Tried Pinning the hand+children. Tried pinning the left hand to the prop, but I don't have that option. Tried pinning the prop to BOTH hands, but I can't figure out if that is even possible (can't select more than one parent).

Below if a screen shot of the woman in pose. I would like to make a follow-up pose where she swinged through with the Cleaver. But both hands still in the same place. Is there a way to do this other than going through the pain staking process of manually try and get it into the (close to) same place?

I thank you in advance.

Comments

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,951

Sorry to tell you but at this time ya gotta do it the hard way at least to my knowledge

• That's a shame lol. I read this, but don't understand it (oh dear!) 
    https://sites.google.com/site/mcasualsdazscripts6/mcjautolimb2015

not sure if it is applicable?

Thanks

• Maniacal JesterManiacal Jester Posts: 7
    edited August 2019

I’m not sitting in front of a computer with Studio installed, so I have no way of teating this at the moment.

What I would do in any other 3d software is create a couple of null objects and place them on the prop where I would want the hands to be placed. I would then parent the null objects to the props.

Then position the hands where they need to be on the prop and parent the hand bones to their respective null objects.

Or something like that. Just my thought process.

Post edited by Maniacal Jester on
  • Thanks so much for your reply too. Yes, that is the gest what I got. But can I ask a huge favour please? If you would happen to have a link on how to do Null points? I'm new to this 3D programs, so not sure how one would do it?

Thanks in advance

• I found how to create a New Null, but how would I "pin" it to/on the prop where the left hand is please?

Thanks

• GafftheHorseGafftheHorse Posts: 567
    edited August 2019
    hardegat said:

I found how to create a New Null, but how would I "pin" it to/on the prop where the left hand is please?

Thanks

You parent the null to the prop (right click in scene, Change Parent), then zero the translation coordinates of the null (it should then inherit the parent props coordinates , and essentially zoom to the prop*) then you have to adjust manually to where you'd want the hand to be.

* Doesn't seem to for some items, and hands being part of a rig it often doesn't work for, seems to mostly not do the Y axis well (height) such as table tops, parent a lamp to a table, zero all coordinates and the lamp will zoom to the table, but stays on the floor rather than centre

I just manouvre the item into the hand, position the hand (and grasp pose) then fine tune the prop position. Once it's right, only then do i parent the prop into the hand** and Save as Support Asset > Figure Prop asset so i can load it from there in the future and it'll load in to the hand. Perspective view + multiple camera views ( and hit triangle menu on viewport and choose 'Four views'

** Parent into the hand prior to that and all parameter translation moves are relative to the figure/hand rather than absolute (it's confusing and awkward)

Regarding your attached woman with sword and a follow up move, the sword is probably parented to the right, so you could move the right and the sword would stay in the hand, but the left would have to be adjusted manually - I'm not sure I'd worry too much about keep the left in exactly the same position - depending on the full extent of the arc of the swing, I'd think the left would loosen or come free for a wild swing as momentum and  the weight of the weapon carry it.

Post edited by GafftheHorse on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

not sure if ds has ik?  poser and carrara does inky chains

would be the same as keeping both feet on the ground. move the hip  but the feet stay.

• Mystarra said:

not sure if ds has ik?  poser and carrara does inky chains

would be the same as keeping both feet on the ground. move the hip  but the feet stay.

The Public Build - 4.12.0.47 curently - does.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922
    hardegat said:

Hi all,

I do however come to challenges that I try and research and solve on my own, but it doesn't always go according to plan. I have been trying t ofigure out by searching posts how to change a pose, but not loose the 'location' of the hands on a prop. Tried Pinning the hand+children. Tried pinning the left hand to the prop, but I don't have that option. Tried pinning the prop to BOTH hands, but I can't figure out if that is even possible (can't select more than one parent).

Below if a screen shot of the woman in pose. I would like to make a follow-up pose where she swinged through with the Cleaver. But both hands still in the same place. Is there a way to do this other than going through the pain staking process of manually try and get it into the (close to) same place?

I thank you in advance.

Try this:

a) duplicate the prop in the pose you want already parented to one of the hands.

b) change the parent of the duplicated prop to the other hand

c) repose the character

d) copy and paste the translation & rotation coordinates of the aligned prop to the misaligned prop so that it's aligned with the aligned prop.

e) that should get you nearly there & make extra prop invisible.

f) repeat for the next pose

I haven't tried it but it should work if both hands are really correctly posed originally on the prop although you can expect to have to adjust the wrist, forearm, and such enough such that it makes sense that that sort of grip on the prop is maintained and still looks natural. Such an approach would be easier to do with IK instead of manually adjusting the FK so that it looks 'right'.

• hardegat said:

Hi all,

I thank you in advance.

Try this:

a) duplicate the prop in the pose you want already parented to one of the hands.

b) change the parent of the duplicated prop to the other hand

c) repose the character

d) copy and paste the translation & rotation coordinates of the aligned prop to the misaligned prop so that it's aligned with the aligned prop.

e) that should get you nearly there & make extra prop invisible.

f) repeat for the next pose

I haven't tried it but it should work if both hands are really correctly posed originally on the prop although you can expect to have to adjust the wrist, forearm, and such enough such that it makes sense that that sort of grip on the prop is maintained and still looks natural. Such an approach would be easier to do with IK instead of manually adjusting the FK so that it looks 'right'.

I either don't follow that or I'm pretty sure it won't work.

--------------------------

You might want to look at this post, relaying a suggestion Rob Whisenant made for handling such things in the current Public Beta of DS 4.12 https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4806031/#Comment_4806031

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,153
    edited August 2019
    hardegat said:

Hi all,

I thank you in advance.

are you doing this for a animation or a still pose.? no need to parent both hands for still renders

So for animation i would use the new  Daz IK-chain solution .

Step 1 Download daz 4.12 beta https://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-beta

Step 2 load your scene your working on and  Create a IK-chain for the L hand and parent the left hand to the ik-chain  ( to create a  ik-chain  go to " create tab >scroll down to create ik-chain

Step 3 Next.  click axe and parent the axe directly to the Right Hand like you would any other prop. in this scene it looks like right hand would be the force of motion &  what I would use but you can try left.

Step 4  Next is kind of confusing.  for the left hand, right clic ik-chian & parent the ik-chain to axe for the left hand  (Do not parent the axe to the left hand only the left hand ik-chain should be parented to the axe  Because you had already parented the left hand to the ik-chain so you want to connect the ik-chain to the axe. )  You do this so as you move or make your pulls on the right hand to make the axe move the left hand should follow the motion of the axe , as it parent to the ik-chain of the Left hand which you had parented the left hand to IK-chain.. like links in a chain which makes the left hand follow the motions of the axe . .   Start by reading the forum thread  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/341006/daz-studio-pro-beta-version-4-12-0-47-updated/p1

then give it a try . good luck remember the Daz  IK-chain solution is still in beta so there is a few bugs

Post edited by Ivy on
  • TsubaTsuba Posts: 78
    edited May 2021

Getting in the same struggle here. 

Ivy said:

Create a IK-chain for the L hand and parent the left hand to the ik-chain

If you do that, your whole figure is parented to the ik-chain, not just the left hand. Did you mean parent the ik-chain to the left hand ?

This is incredibly confusing. Did anyone actually manage to do it ? 

I tried making a null and 2 ik-chains (one for each hand) parented to the null. My 2-handed sword is parented to the right hand. 

That didn't word at all : moving the null moves the sword and the right hand only. The left doesn't follow. 

I'm amazed the good people at Daz haven't added this feature yet, as it seems a basic necessity to 3D posing. Just a simple lock between this and that element (hands, objects, etc..) Can't be that hard.

Post edited by Tsuba on
  • LucielLuciel Posts: 475

Tsuba said:

Getting in the same struggle here. 

Ivy said:

Create a IK-chain for the L hand and parent the left hand to the ik-chain

If you do that, your whole figure is parented to the ik-chain, not just the left hand. Did you mean parent the ik-chain to the left hand ?

This is incredibly confusing. Did anyone actually manage to do it ? 

I tried making a null and 2 ik-chains (one for each hand) parented to the null. My 2-handed sword is parented to the right hand. 

That didn't word at all : moving the null moves the sword and the right hand only. The left doesn't follow. 

I'm amazed the good people at Daz haven't added this feature yet, as it seems a basic necessity to 3D posing. Just a simple lock between this and that element (hands, objects, etc..) Can't be that hard.

Remember, you're replying to a 2 year old thread.

Make 2 chains from shoulder to hand (ctrl click in order then create). Make sure the IK chains have the right settings (so turn on pin translation and rotation). Parent both the left and right IK chain to the prop (which should be parented to the main hand). No need for anything else.

When you want to move things, move the main hand or it's chain (just click and drag it with the movement thingy). Not the chain of the other hand or the prop. Remember that arms will respect what they're able to do, so move it too far and the character will let go or weird things will happen. It's not perfect, so you'll probably have to do some tidying.

• TsubaTsuba Posts: 78

Thanks for the explanation. I'll give it a try.

• pjgidonpjgidon Posts: 5
    edited May 2021

hardegat said:

Hi all,

I thank you in advance.

it's seams impossible to lock both hands on a prop for an animation

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • LoonyLoony Posts: 1,801
    edited March 2023

(I use this thread to not push a new one)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1brNImPRaU8uT_18LJadSvWCj-GrTI8ET/view?usp=sharing

(I will remove the File one day...)

I created a IK chain and connected it to a tablet/tray, but I want it vice versa, that when I bend the body up/down, that the tray stands in the hands.

All the infos in this thread feel a bit confusing... is there a way or is it not possible? This way is nice, which I made, but the upper body doesn't follow... I did even try it with many chains from head, neck, upper chest and lower chest...

Post edited by Loony on