No one asked me - Diomede screenshots on whatever - Warning AI Discussion OK

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i dont understand why attach skeleton isnt available.

trying something simple, like conforming my text to use the animation.

frustrating dohh

CAT_STRESS.gif
    392 x 314 - 46K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited August 2019

This might a case in which starting from scratch is easier than editing the preset scene that comes with Carrara.  

Try inserting your text, using the directional cameras to create a bone skeleton, and attach the text to the bone mesh.  The attachment step will automatically convert the text object to a vertex object.

cc08 extend bone limb to the left.JPG
    1598 x 847 - 117K
    cc10 select text and boes and use animation attach skeleton.JPG
    1383 x 841 - 156K
    cc11 can bend text now.JPG
    1591 x 848 - 174K
    Post edited by Diomede on

the bones ... first?  before the mexh?  like disembodied bones?

so radical!

dang it hit the f12 key again, missed the bsckspace key.

I inserted the text first, just hard to see because the text is green against a blue background.

1) Inserted a text object and typed    Test for Rigging Text Objects    Look closely at first screenshot.

2) Changed camera to the FRONT camera, but the text was hard to see.

3) Selected the text object and then hit the zero 0 key so that the camera would zoom to the selected text object

4) Used the bone tool to create a horizontal skeleton for the text.  I started in the middle and went to one side, returned to the middle and went to othr side, so "hip" bone was in center.  Just preference.

5) Checked top and side cameras to make sure skeleton was inside text object.  Required a lttle translation of the skeleton by selecting the first bone and using directional arrows

6) Shift-selected both the text object and the bone skeleton, then used the animation menu to "attach skeleton."  - (Carrara converted the text object to a verex object)

7) Once skeleton attached to text object, with text object and bone skeleton sill selected, used the animation menu to create an animaiton group.

Text should now be rigged and capable of standard figure stuff.  You could convert the text object to a vertex object yourself, before the rest, and create some morphs if desired.

edited August 2019

Oh  okay less radical  lol

interested to learn how to transfer the rigging.  inside carrara smiley

in poser, it was go to setup room, load figure with the rig from library tp load rig to setup room.

dunno why i can remember poser stuff from 10 years ago, but i have trouble remembering displacement brush from last weekend.

Post edited by Mistara on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,795

what's harder to do is bone a letter!  now that is tricky cool

or an evelope with a flap

edited August 2019

Just a superquick doodle. Felt nostalgic.

nostalgia freak 3 and aiko 3.png
    1600 x 1200 - 693K

so much cute for aiko 3heart

pokes at it  poke poke poke

how does carrara know the bones belong to the text?

is kinda the opposite of seeing the bones move, but the mesh it supposedly attached to doesn't.

poke poke

there no way to send a question to the original carrara developers?

I think Darts info thread in the stickies has a link to a history of Carrara.  Might be able to track down some of the original Carrara / Raydream people.  Curious what you they are doing now. 

edited August 2019

Creating Prop Hair for a G8M Using Philemos Converter Plugin

Suggestions welcome.  This is just a concept experiment to try to find a useful workflow.  My goal is to create a conforming figure or static prop mesh hair derived from Carrara's dynamic hair.  Philemo's dynamic to mesh converter plugin is the primary tool, but I also use Carrara to render alpha and texture maps.  For conforming figures, the mesh will go through the free plugin called Daz Studio to use the transfer utility.

Barbarian hair - because it should be easy to be messy.

1)  Creating the mesh

- started wiith Misty's G8M for Carrara character.

- dragged a dynamic hair directly on mesh (in future, will use a skull cap as detailed below).

- used Carrara's dynamic hair tools to create a simple barbarian hair style.  Upped the hair count but lowered the display percentage.

- used Carrara's hair texture tools to vary the hair length and add some frizz and kink.

- confirming that the display percentage in the modeler is reduced, used Philemo's hair converter plugin.  Settings included reduced hair width.and 2 shading domains.

- note that Philemo's plugin creates a square vertical UVMap for each mesh strand.

- Resulting hair mesh is OK, but realized still want a base hair cap underneath the strands, especially on top..  Modeled and added a hair cap to the strand mesh.

2)  Creating the texture maps

- started a new Carrara file and inserted an upside down vertex grid.  Grid fills frame width but is not very deep.

- grew hair from the bottom of the grid.  Adjusted camera so that hairs do not reach top or bottom.  Turned off visibility of the grid.

- set hair shaders to range of black/gray/white.

- set hair shaders to add variable length, frizz, etc.  

- reduced number of hairs in hair modeler

- rendered out a couple of alpha maps with different number of hairs. 

- Saved alpha maps 

- returned to hair shader.  Experiments with shaders to get diffuse fr dark hair, brown hair, and blonde hair.  Saved maps.

- UVMapped he skull cap that was added to the hair mesh model.  Rendered some diffuse maps but zoomed in so fill frame.  (maybe a mistake)

Some Tests with Alha and Diffuse Maps applied to Hairs.

(some progress WIPs to follow in next posts).

conan 02 front side view of hair.jpg
    640 x 480 - 16K
    conan 03 front view of hair.jpg
    640 x 480 - 15K
    Conan 01 back view of hair.jpg
    640 x 480 - 16K
    edited August 2019

Here are some of the WIP screengrabs

First, the hair and mesh

conan 04 strand mesh with philemo converter.JPG
    1386 x 763 - 137K
    conan 07 dynamic hair grown directly on g8m.JPG
    1265 x 803 - 150K
    conan 08 dynamic hair settings in model room.JPG
    1590 x 754 - 147K
    edited August 2019

Some more WIPs

conan 10 hair file o create alpha maps.JPG
    1427 x 667 - 143K
    Hair Alpha 01 1000 hairs.jpg
    800 x 800 - 140K
    Hair Alpha 01 2000 hairs Blonde Dirty 01.jpg
    800 x 800 - 134K
    Hair Alpha 01 2000 hairs Light Brown 01.jpg
    800 x 800 - 84K
    edited August 2019

Aaargh -

G8M stff not conforming in Carrara even though blended weight.  Not sure why.

In addition to the above hair, I put together a Conan type outft for G8M.  I converted to blended weight.  I started a new Carrara scene.  I loaded Mistys G8M character preset.  I conformed the outfit and hair.  I dial spun some morphs for the G8M and the clothes autofit to the morped.figure.  But when I pose the G8M figure, the fit to items do not follow.  Really wierd that the clothes would morph with the figure, but not conform to new poses.

bracelet not posing in Carrara.JPG
    1275 x 769 - 142K
    edited August 2019

The unblended versions of these same items work in Daz Studio

works in daz studio.JPG
    613 x 749 - 90K
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,796

Did you save it as a support asset figure?

just subset not enough for self rigged clothing 

Did you save it as a support asset figure?

just subset not enough for self rigged clothing 

Aha!  I bet that is it.  I saved as scene subsets. Thanks.  Will give it another go next week.

edited August 2019

Thank you, Wendy!!!

Yay - saving as a support asset fixed it.  The custom G8M blended weight clothes morph with figure and conform to poses.  

fixed.JPG
    1246 x 832 - 142K
    edited August 2019

Um, didn't quite turn out how I was thinking about it.  Need to polish up my shader skills.

didnt turn out.jpg
    600 x 800 - 32K
    edited September 2020

The Studio version is now avilable as a freebie.  You will have to convert it to blended to use in Carrara.  Untextured.

EDIT: Let me know if there is a problem.  Haen't tried to share DUF files very often so may have the zip wrong.

https://sharecg.com/v/94316/gallery/21/DAZ-Studio/G8M-Barbarian-FRD01-Untextured

with greeble shader could look like a cod piece.

been on the bolo for cod pieces. with rivets.  for my space pirates. smiley

thanks.

hope my browser remembers scg password. dohh  lol

lookin for how to save a go to pose in carrara on an intergalactic level, basically, just the x,y,z coordinates ?

yoo know how when selecting the sunlight can see the sun disk representation,  lookin for how to point a camera at that disk so i can always see it no matter where i move the camera?  

how do you point a camera to where the rainbow  will render?

edited August 2019

Not sure about the poses. 

Think I have an idea for the sun.  Started new scene.  Set atmosphere to realistic sky.  Leave at default for moment.  Inserted sunlight (should link to sun in relistic sky).  Don't move or rotate sunlight for moment.  Deleted default distant light.  Inserted new camera and labeled "conical pointed sun."  Inserted a target helper object.  Parented target helper to sunlight.  Translated target helper in z axis 5000 feet.  Pobably should do even more.  Applied point at modifier to "conical pointed sun" camera, set to point at the target helper.  Now, when change realistic sky sun, the target helper moves with it, and the new camera points at the new target helper location.

EDIT:  you would probably want to leave the camera that points at the sun at the 0,0,0 position.

zz03 target helper location z axis.JPG
    1584 x 688 - 114K
    zz01 sun target helper 1.JPG
    1535 x 704 - 95K
    zz02 target heper sun camera.JPG
    1516 x 773 - 104K

yeah that the disk thing can only see when sdunlight selected

edited August 2019

5,000 feet straight up?  okay  thanks, trying it 

Post edited by Mistara on

Another Frazetta-inspired freebie.  This one is for G3F.  You will have to convert it to blended and use with Misty's carrara compatible character.

https://sharecg.com/v/94373/view/21/DAZ-Studio/G3F-Fantasy-DForce-Dancer-Untextured

The skirt is set to DForce.  For Carrara, use VWD.  I recommend "nailing" the belt loops, attach, and eyelits material zones to the mesh using the VWD tools.

Here is a screencap of the outfit in that plugin, Daz Studio.

g3f fantasy screengrab.JPG
    488 x 554 - 54K
    edited September 2019

My new freebie G3F fantasy dancer outfit in Carrara using Misty's G3F preset and onverted to blended.  Lets see if I can get my G8M babrbarian and G3F fantasy lady in the same render.

Fazetta G3F WIP.jpg
    1236 x 1600 - 300K
    edited September 2019

The barbarian and the fantasy dancer have an axe, but they still need a skull.  Here is a WIP of a skull I am working on.  It is a variation on the fossil I made for a previous challenge.  I want to add the bridge for the teeth and thickness for the upper skull.  I also plan to add a jawbone and rig it so the mouth an open and close.  If I finish it, I will post it at sharecg as a freebie.  The eyes will be holes as appropriate.

skull wip test render.jpg
    800 x 800 - 30K
    skull wip mesh.JPG
    684 x 744 - 63K