Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.12.2.60! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• So, Daz Studio doesn't seem to be working in the latest macOS Catalina beta - and the new 4.12 isn't even installing. Any option to get the direct install version for the pro studio beta, instead of just the install manager? there will be lots of pain otherwise, I am afraid :(. in 10.15 thie whole system will be in a read only volume, so some very custom installers will probably fail.

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,574

Use IM to download the beta, but not install it. It's just a zipfile you can handle manually.

- Greg

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

So, Daz Studio doesn't seem to be working in the latest macOS Catalina beta - and the new 4.12 isn't even installing. Any option to get the direct install version for the pro studio beta, instead of just the install manager? there will be lots of pain otherwise, I am afraid :(. in 10.15 thie whole system will be in a read only volume, so some very custom installers will probably fail.

Daz does not make the beta available for standalone installation. You could contact customer service, but I'm not sure they'd make an exception.

• Use IM to download the beta, but not install it. It's just a zipfile you can handle manually.

- Greg

omg, yeah, you are right. Sooooo much easier, tyvm!

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922
    edited August 2019
    marble said:

OK, so I watched this little video explaining FK and IK and it mosly makes sense to me.

What I don't get is some of the terminology used in this thread, such as:

IK Solvers

Dynamic IK (and how that differs from non-dynamic IK)

Helpers

I'm also still not clear on if and when to use pins (I thought I had it but I didn't).

Lastly, I am not sure I fully understand what IK chains are. I thought the they were the nominated bones in a heirarchy to be included in a chain but now I suspect that the chains are only references to the bones and not the bones themselves. Again, I'm not even sure that I'm stating my limited understanding correctly. Not the actual bones but ... well, what are they ... targets? If I look at a tutorial video on IK chains in Blender (see below), the instructor seems to be selecting the actual bones to include in an IK chain but that does not appear to be the case in the screenshots I've seen of the new DAZ Studio IK system (I guess more will become clear when I can actually play with 4.12 when I have access to my PC).

While I don't know the code algorithms that make IK solvers work I can tell you they work sort of like this:

Setup: A person with they arm dropped to their side with elbow bent fully, wrist straight facing towards the carpal tendons fully away from the chest, and fingers clenched in a fist with palm facing forwards and fist facing forward away from chest. So in your mind you should know that fist in question is about shoulder height and nearly touches and is slightly forward to the shoulder. Left or right in this case matters not...

a) Pretend to grasp the end digit (the digit with the finger print on it of the index finger of the hand balled up into a fist:

b) Pull parallel to the ground, perpendicular to the chest, that end digit. The IK solver will only affect the end digit by unbending it until it's no longer making a fist with the rest of the fingers.

c) Keep pulling that end digit - now the next phalange segment on that finger unbends  You may need to slightly change the angle you're pulling in to be a combination of parallel and perpendicular to the ground if you want to achieve having the IK solver only unbend the nearest bone to the index finger tip you are pulling.  

d) Keep pulling - 3rd phalange unbends and now the hand should be approximately in an almost fist but with the index finger pointing straight up. In this case you will need to change the angle of pull to be perpendicular to the ground to only straighten out the index finger such that it is pointing straight up. If you continue pulling parallel to the ground the IK Solver will reach an angle on the index finger such that it has pulled the index finger so that it is pointing parallel to the ground (but not in parallel to the forearm) and then the IK solver will start bending the wrist such that the pointing hand now bends and the balled fingers are parallel to the ground and the index finger will then straighten out to be unbent and parallel to the forearm now.

e) If you keep pulling the elbow will unbend until it's 90 degrees with the upper arm.

f) Keep pulling that Index finger parallel to the ground? Now the upper arm will start bending until it reaches a height such that the elbow completely unbends and the arm is straight. Here though you are going to get the shoulder, and spine involved possible depending on how exact the angle you are pulling in creates forces or not on the connecting bones (I'm not sure of the exact algorithm) .

So, it's sort of like if you asked someone to pull/push your fingers to pose your hands & arms. You don't need to use the finger tips only I did that only to give a rough ideal that's how IK solvers work. 

I'm not sure what they mean by dynamic IK solvers. Dynamic seems to be one of those magic words that makes everything better to gets tacked on as an adjective.

I also don't know what Helpers are unless they mean the IK handles that some designers add that aren't actually part of the skeleton/bones of the model that assist in posing the model. As an example, it used to be pretty common place for skirts & dresses in the DAZ Store to have posing handles. I'm not 100% sure that's what they mean by Helpers though.

So no worries - IK Solvers are code written and compiled that you don't see that helps change the poses of your DAZ models as you pull/push/twist on bones in the viewport in DAZ Studio and they're being improved to make your pose changes more realistic and easier to do which should help also make your animations easier to do and more realistic.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
    Padone said:

So what is this 'ActivePose' Tool? I see only a 'PowerPose' tool and a 'Puppeteer' tool? Without current documentation I'm not going to hazard a guess.

Powerpose is just a "joystick" system to pose bones instead of using sliders, it is most useful with bone-based facial expressions in my opinion.

The active pose tool is a step forward and it allows to pose fk chains by using dynamic ik, that means you grab anywhere you want and the ik chain follows, it is most useful to pose a character when you don't need to animate. Or it can be used to pose fk chains in animation.

The new ik system is to define ik chains that you can use in animation. These chains are not dynamic so the ik structure of the caharacter is defined on the rest pose.

Puppeteer is a tool to define hand-made mocaps, so it is a quick alternative for fast animation and within its limits it's very effective in my opinion.

So, each tool has its own domain of application and they can be used together. I'd use ik chains for animation together with the active pose tool to pose fk chains, then powerpose for bone-based expressions. While puppetter can be used for any quick animation based on "loops" between pre-made poses.

OK, your description seems to say 'ActivePose' is what happens in the viewport were I to try and pose by selecting a bone on a model & pushing/pulling/twisting that bone? 

3DU used to have a few pose helpers, like on the original Sadie & Sammy, mostly on the eyes. I wonder if DAZ 3D will add such pose helpers to the G8F/G8M Base characters?

• Padone said:

So what is this 'ActivePose' Tool? I see only a 'PowerPose' tool and a 'Puppeteer' tool? Without current documentation I'm not going to hazard a guess.

Powerpose is just a "joystick" system to pose bones instead of using sliders, it is most useful with bone-based facial expressions in my opinion.

The active pose tool is a step forward and it allows to pose fk chains by using dynamic ik, that means you grab anywhere you want and the ik chain follows, it is most useful to pose a character when you don't need to animate. Or it can be used to pose fk chains in animation.

The new ik system is to define ik chains that you can use in animation. These chains are not dynamic so the ik structure of the caharacter is defined on the rest pose.

Puppeteer is a tool to define hand-made mocaps, so it is a quick alternative for fast animation and within its limits it's very effective in my opinion.

So, each tool has its own domain of application and they can be used together. I'd use ik chains for animation together with the active pose tool to pose fk chains, then powerpose for bone-based expressions. While puppetter can be used for any quick animation based on "loops" between pre-made poses.

OK, your description seems to say 'ActivePose' is what happens in the viewport were I to try and pose by selecting a bone on a model & pushing/pulling/twisting that bone? 

3DU used to have a few pose helpers, like on the original Sadie & Sammy, mostly on the eyes. I wonder if DAZ 3D will add such pose helpers to the G8F/G8M Base characters?

There may be some cofnusion - ActivePose is a Viewport tool only that works by pulling to translate. DS has had a more traditionsl IK/FK system since the introduction of the universal tool, whichj allows pinning of bones that respects rotations and chnages made in the Parameters pane as well as simple translations. The enw IK tools are a development of the latter, not related to ActivePose.

• I've noticed that hands don't follow rigged objects (that have more than 2 bones) in IK chains. The hands would move all around if you try to move a rigged object parented to IK chains of both hands. Even if you parent the IK to the main object itself and not its children. Perhaps this is meant to work only with objects that are not rigged? Or is it a bug?
  • IvyIvy Posts: 7,153

I had a another hard crash last night , these crashes seem to always come on the last frame of rendering  of a long rendering animated scene . I've been keeping and dating the log files with a screen captures which I would like to send to report .. will daz accept this infor in a zip file if i were to place all my reports in it? when i make out my support ticket?

Scene10 rendr crash 8-04-2019.JPG
    1919 x 1006 - 257K
  • Ivy said:

I had a another hard crash last night , these crashes seem to always come on the last frame of rendering  of a long rendering animated scene . I've been keeping and dating the log files with a screen captures which I would like to send to report .. will daz accept this infor in a zip file if i were to place all my reports in it? when i make out my support ticket?

Zip should be fine.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    marble said:

While I don't know the code algorithms that make IK solvers work I can tell you they work sort of like this:

Setup: A person with they arm dropped to their side with elbow bent fully, wrist straight facing towards the carpal tendons fully away from the chest, and fingers clenched in a fist with palm facing forwards and fist facing forward away from chest. So in your mind you should know that fist in question is about shoulder height and nearly touches and is slightly forward to the shoulder. Left or right in this case matters not...

a) Pretend to grasp the end digit (the digit with the finger print on it of the index finger of the hand balled up into a fist:

b) Pull parallel to the ground, perpendicular to the chest, that end digit. The IK solver will only affect the end digit by unbending it until it's no longer making a fist with the rest of the fingers.

c) Keep pulling that end digit - now the next phalange segment on that finger unbends  You may need to slightly change the angle you're pulling in to be a combination of parallel and perpendicular to the ground if you want to achieve having the IK solver only unbend the nearest bone to the index finger tip you are pulling.  

d) Keep pulling - 3rd phalange unbends and now the hand should be approximately in an almost fist but with the index finger pointing straight up. In this case you will need to change the angle of pull to be perpendicular to the ground to only straighten out the index finger such that it is pointing straight up. If you continue pulling parallel to the ground the IK Solver will reach an angle on the index finger such that it has pulled the index finger so that it is pointing parallel to the ground (but not in parallel to the forearm) and then the IK solver will start bending the wrist such that the pointing hand now bends and the balled fingers are parallel to the ground and the index finger will then straighten out to be unbent and parallel to the forearm now.

e) If you keep pulling the elbow will unbend until it's 90 degrees with the upper arm.

f) Keep pulling that Index finger parallel to the ground? Now the upper arm will start bending until it reaches a height such that the elbow completely unbends and the arm is straight. Here though you are going to get the shoulder, and spine involved possible depending on how exact the angle you are pulling in creates forces or not on the connecting bones (I'm not sure of the exact algorithm) .

So, it's sort of like if you asked someone to pull/push your fingers to pose your hands & arms. You don't need to use the finger tips only I did that only to give a rough ideal that's how IK solvers work. 

I'm not sure what they mean by dynamic IK solvers. Dynamic seems to be one of those magic words that makes everything better to gets tacked on as an adjective.

I also don't know what Helpers are unless they mean the IK handles that some designers add that aren't actually part of the skeleton/bones of the model that assist in posing the model. As an example, it used to be pretty common place for skirts & dresses in the DAZ Store to have posing handles. I'm not 100% sure that's what they mean by Helpers though.

So no worries - IK Solvers are code written and compiled that you don't see that helps change the poses of your DAZ models as you pull/push/twist on bones in the viewport in DAZ Studio and they're being improved to make your pose changes more realistic and easier to do which should help also make your animations easier to do and more realistic.

Thank you for taking the time to explain all this. I'll read it a few more times to let it sink in.

edited August 2019

Great thanks . I love how fast daz 12 renders but wow it sure is unstable.   thankfully my work around is to keep all the render pngs in the temp render folder created when rendering the scene that I can use in my film editor to compile all the frames into a avi for further film editng so I am not losing my work at least

Post edited by Ivy on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    I've noticed that hands don't follow rigged objects (that have more than 2 bones) in IK chains. The hands would move all around if you try to move a rigged object parented to IK chains of both hands. Even if you parent the IK to the main object itself and not its children. Perhaps this is meant to work only with objects that are not rigged? Or is it a bug?

I am advised to tell you

If you want to have both hands/arms follow an object in the hand(s) (e.g., a bat), parent the object to one hand (each node can only have one parent) so that it follows that hand for the FK solve, select each hand individualy and create an IK Chain, then parent both of those IK Chain nodes to the bat for the IK solve... not the other way around. You could also create an IK Chain starting with the object in the hand (e.g., the bat), but you'd need to adjust the Chain Root on that IK Chain node to account for the additional node in the chain (the default IK Chain length is typically 3, depending on the node setup involved).
    Padone said:

There may be some cofnusion - ActivePose is a Viewport tool only that works by pulling to translate. DS has had a more traditionsl IK/FK system since the introduction of the universal tool, whichj allows pinning of bones that respects rotations and chnages made in the Parameters pane as well as simple translations. The enw IK tools are a development of the latter, not related to ActivePose.

Thanks. I want to be trying to do animations in the part of the DAZ Studio that has their latest animation enhancements so that is good to know.

Do you know if I combine ActivePose with Puppeteer that those new enhancements are active in both? Also, it seems that PowerPoser doesn't have those enhancements and the regular 'sliders' doesn't need those enhancements in the posing tab but would just be a way a fine tuning, say some active posing already done in the viewport, but in doing that activity in the Puppeteer, PowerPower, and with posing slider, it wouldn't break the ability to do more active posing in the viewport would it?

marble said:
    marble said:

Thank you for taking the time to explain all this. I'll read it a few more times to let it sink in.

As your reading it pretend someone is pulling your own index finger posed as explained in that explanation and note that the person pulling your finger is limited to how that can use pulling your finger to pose your index finger, hand, forearm, upper arm, and so on by the structure of your body and the limit of the physics on your body that results from pulling your index finger. Example, the other fingers on that hand don't straighten as they are pulling your index finger nor to the bones on the other arm, although if they pulled your index finger long enough they'd eventually get your shoulders, spine, head, hips, legs, and feet involved in being moved by the IK solver, even the other arm as it got pulled along in motion by the opposite shoulder being moved. Sort of like a whip. A very simple IK solver and physics formula could be applied to a whip's motion to animate it. 

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379
    Ivy said:

Great thanks . I love how fast daz 12 renders but wow it sure is unstable.   

Yes. Although (obviously) this is a Beta, this is the most unstable Daz Beta in a long time. It's also slower than 4.11 in many operations. 

I wonder why the IK introduction has caused so many issues. 

• DAZ_RawbDAZ_Rawb Posts: 817
    Ivy said:

Great thanks . I love how fast daz 12 renders but wow it sure is unstable.   thankfully my work around is to keep all the render pngs in the temp render folder created when rendering the scene that I can use in my film editor to compile all the frames into a avi for further film editng so I am not losing my work at least

I noticed in your last crash screenshot you posted here that it was saving to AVI. I know the movie export feature is relying on some old libraries so I would highly recommend exporting the individual frames and then creating the movie in an external application.

• Ivy said:

Yes. Although (obviously) this is a Beta, this is the most unstable Daz Beta in a long time. It's also slower than 4.11 in many operations. 

IK would not affect rendering, except possibly very marginally on large scenes if it increased memory foot-print in a way that couldn't be shuffled aside at render time..

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379
    Ivy said:

IK would not affect rendering, except possibly very marginally on large scenes if it increased memory foot-print in a way that couldn't be shuffled aside at render time..

Sorry, I didn't mean render time.

I meant saving a scene / loading a scene / "Select All", viewport manipulation, etc.

4.11 was a marked improvement in those areas, which was evident in the 4.11 Beta as well. 

In that way, 4.12 has felt like a step back and so I haven't been using it as much as I would.

• After I installed the new beta, I got this message in the log for 4.12.0.33; ( and also later in 4.12.0.42).
    -
    2019-07-24 19:53:33.263 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.1   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 1070): compute capability 6.1, 8 GiB total, 7.81298 GiB available
    2019-07-24 19:53:33.263 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(302): Iray WARNING - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.1   IRAY   rend warn : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 1070): WDDM driver used, it's recommended switching to TCC driver model as no display connected (via 'nvidia-smi -dm 1'), to increase rendering performance
    -------------
    What does this mean  & how can I switch to TCC driver model, whatever that is. I have the 430.86 nvidea driver installed. I see nothing in the Nvidia driver docs about TCC even for the most recent driver.
    I use a GT 730 (4Gig) for the video and a GTX 1070 just for rendering un-connected to a monitor, which has  worked well so far.

AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor, 3.0GHz, 16G, Win 7
    Thanks for your help.

• After I installed the new beta, I got this message in the log for 4.12.0.33; ( and also later in 4.12.0.42).
    -
    2019-07-24 19:53:33.263 Iray INFO - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.1   IRAY   rend info : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 1070): compute capability 6.1, 8 GiB total, 7.81298 GiB available
    2019-07-24 19:53:33.263 WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(302): Iray WARNING - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.1   IRAY   rend warn : CUDA device 0 (GeForce GTX 1070): WDDM driver used, it's recommended switching to TCC driver model as no display connected (via 'nvidia-smi -dm 1'), to increase rendering performance
    -------------
    What does this mean  & how can I switch to TCC driver model, whatever that is. I have the 430.86 nvidea driver installed. I see nothing in the Nvidia driver docs about TCC even for the most recent driver.
    I use a GT 730 (4Gig) for the video and a GTX 1070 just for rendering un-connected to a monitor, which has  worked well so far.

AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor, 3.0GHz, 16G, Win 7
    Thanks for your help.

I wouldn't worry about it, especially if it is working for you. TCC stands for Tesla Compute Cluster, but it's purpose is quite technical.

marble said:
    [snip]

+1

edited August 2019
    DAZ_Rawb said:
    Ivy said:

I noticed in your last crash screenshot you posted here that it was saving to AVI. I know the movie export feature is relying on some old libraries so I would highly recommend exporting the individual frames and then creating the movie in an external application.

You might be a great programmer , but i can see you don't make many animation..no offense .lol Avi is 300% faster to edit into in any given film editor than importing 1000's of PNG frames to create and AVI which i need to edit in a film ..

you can't save lip synce with individual png's.  but saving in avi with lipsynch you preserve the wav sound file with the animation  in avi 

AVI with sound files are 500% faster to work with in any given film editor rather than try to match up the wav sound keyframes with the all pngs keyframes from the render in a animation which you have to compiled the png's into a avi or mp4 format before going to the finel editing.   animations is a ton of work. please don't make it any harder by taking away our ability to save in avi format .

Yes there are many times when I do need to save in png series, when i need to edit in effects or special post work, i'll import those into after-effects or photoshop and save them as MP4 before importing into my film editor .  That has how I have been recovering from the crashes I had so far,  by saving the PNG's that are in the temp render folder that are placed there during rendering of the animation. and I compiling them in after-effect & and saving them as mp4 & than I can import them into the film editor

So Ya Buddy!  90% of the time if I can, I'll save in avi over png's series  just to save time from having to manually compile 1000's the png's into a AVI or mp4,  which is what I need to end up with  before i put the scene in the final edit.   So why would I want to take the extra steps manually compiling png' if i can avoid that extra work using my 3d software.?   its not like i have a studio of people helping make these things.

I would prefer if daz studio would save in MP4 when rendering is finshed,  then we could use mp3 audio like other software's has a option for.  but AVI works for me as long as you guys don't break it.  In Poser you can import avi & mp4 video as a background. and save your finshed work as mp4.  Man I wish daz could import video for a background the possiablilities

Lastly have you ever compared a folder size containing 300 pngs  series for a 10 second scene at 30kfps of rendered animation. imagine having 30 or 40 of those png folders 1 for each scene  compared to a compiled saved avi  for a 10second at 30kfps , the files size is so much smaller, you'll have to try it yourself to believe it

If your interested this is how my  animation looks in a Adobe Premiere film editor  in final edit.   its 1.minute and 15 seconds i have done so far, you can see there is 11 scenes  8 to 10 second long each. compared to what it would be if i used 15,000 png keys frames in 12 folders of pngs at 10 gig each folder.plcaced all on timeline to make the same length film..  Oh my goodness that would be Horrible .(shutters at the thought).lol  never mibnd try eiditing that mess..lol

But that is my prefered way of using daz for animation

Capture.JPG
    1919 x 1031 - 250K
    Post edited by Ivy on
  • Ivy said:

I meant saving a scene / loading a scene / "Select All", viewport manipulation, etc.

4.11 was a marked improvement in those areas, which was evident in the 4.11 Beta as well. 

In that way, 4.12 has felt like a step back and so I haven't been using it as much as I would.

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log#4_12_0_46

Placed Timeline pane node selection updates behind an event; addresses an issue that caused expensive key caching/drawing updates to occur too frequently (e.g., for each node when selecting/deselecting many/all nodes vs as the event loop naturally allows) and ultimately resulted in degraded performance

so that should show in the new beta

edited August 2019
    Ivy said:

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log#4_12_0_46

Placed Timeline pane node selection updates behind an event; addresses an issue that caused expensive key caching/drawing updates to occur too frequently (e.g., for each node when selecting/deselecting many/all nodes vs as the event loop naturally allows) and ultimately resulted in degraded performance

so that should show in the new beta

Not to complain, (much,) but it would be really cool if a post was made inline with the conversation when a new version of the beta is released.
    angel

The title of this thread is so long, the bit with the current version doesn't show up for me. (I have an HD monitor, but I don't like running my browser full-screen.)

Anyway, for anyone who hasn't checked DIM for the last few hours or so:

4.12.0.47 is now available in DIM!

Post edited by L'Adair on

Also, I'd like say thanks for the IK fix. That problematic scene with the (pinned) power cord now saves without crashing DS.

wow I love that the daz guys  labeled the each translation and rotation on the properties of  each timleine ..That is so much easier than guessing the translation. .I see on the bottom of the timeline they added a keyframe node options with copy and paste repeating keys options .. thats going to be a time saver. and I don't remeber the bake figure ik into fk undr inverse kinetics under edit before. . maybe it was there and i was blind to it but if so i wish i seen it a few scenes ago..lol

well time to go render something and see if the stablility has improved.  thanks for the update.

• PraxisPraxis Posts: 240

I'm pleased to report that dForce balls that stopped bouncing in v4.11.0.383 now bounce again, in v4.12.0.47 Beta 

For more information, see https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/342031/bouncing-ball-ideas

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,473
    edited August 2019
    Do you know if I combine ActivePose with Puppeteer that those new enhancements are active in both?

Activepose is a tool for posing where you can use dynamic ik to grab and pull things. Then you have to keyframe your pose once you're happy with it. Puppetter will generate a keyframe for every frame in the timeline because it is for hand-made mocaps. So it works the same as importing a mocap.

Post edited by Padone on
  • It doesn't work. I never should have updated. Every time I try to render a scene with more than one figure or a simple background Daz crashes. Should have kept 4.11.