Improving My Art

A lot of people have the impression that if you're doing (or want to do) art, you must have good vision. Just like a musician must he able to hear to make good music. It makes sense, yes. But here's the thing; Not those sharp senses is simply an obstacle -- a challenge that can be overcome if the heart is ambitious and passionate about doing art. Things can stand between you and your art, but nothing can take the artist out of you.

I myself am one of those artists. I'm visually impaired (as well as deaf}. I use a magnification software to help me do all my computer crap, including 2D and 3D art. I'm not color blind, but there are times when I don't know what color that is and times when I miss some kinda detail, like a poke-through, a distortion, a floating object, or lighting that's just weird or wrong.

I strive to make good art. That's why I value feedback of any kind whenever I can get it. That's why I'm tarting this thread -- to post my WIPs and stuff as I try to improve my art.

Comments

• MAJourneyMAJourney Posts: 1,290

Right now, I'm trying to work out how to simulate distance between these two. there'll be a burning village behind the dragon.

Capture.PNG
    1699 x 954 - 591K
    Capture2.PNG
    1699 x 954 - 326K
  • StezzaKararaStezzaKarara Posts: 4,897
    edited June 1

Very good... I have a couple of suggestions that may help you.

I did a quick image to show...

I set the camera at zoom set at 35mm

also I chose depth of field in the camera tab under effects.. I selected the dragon as the main focus and ramped up the blur to 46%

I also posed the dragon and the fella at an angle to each other and focused from down to up..

to make a distance between the two subjects I placed some items to try and give a sense of scale and distance. I don't have any of the subjects looking at the camera.

Hope this gives you some examples. Others I'm sure will give their tips and tricks on how they do it. smiley

Dragon Fire.png
    800 x 450 - 569K
    Post edited by StezzaKarara on
  • OnlyLuvsCatzOnlyLuvsCatz Posts: 22,325

depth of field can also be your friend

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 3,077

I sometimes increase or decrease the size of items in my scene to give a greater/smaller sense of scale to the scene.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 9,785

Glad you are starting this thread, MaJourney.  I alway enjoy your posts for the Challenges, and look forward to seeing more.  I will follow along with interest and offer my thoughts on topics I have had experience with.  Am confident that others will also.  I know that starting my thread has been a great resource for me because our Carrara community is so helpful.

Thanksb guys. Trying to work on it..,.but.,.what is it about PhilW's Fantasy Village that causes it to take forever to just start rendering at low setting with lota of things hidden?

Found it. Replicator.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 14,671

Very cool (and courageous!) thread, my friend! I would never have guessed at your struggles since you seem (to me) to make a helluva nice render! Like your MAJourney avatar image... I love it!

edited June 3

Not satisfied, but working on the background for the dragon.

Hitfilm Pro fire

Post edited by MAJourney on

Very cool (and courageous!) thread, my friend! I would never have guessed at your struggles since you seem (to me) to make a helluva nice render! Like your MAJourney avatar image... I love it!

Thanks Dart! I hate to ay it, but my avatar was rendered in DS with an uber lighting preset before i had any clue about light setups. lol I did dial-spin the character though

edited June 9

WIP

dragon.jpg
    3840 x 2048 - 483K
    Post edited by MAJourney on
    MAJourney said:

WIP

Maybe a spotlight in front of the Dragon that illuminates the Dragon only, would not have to be very bright, just enough to bring out the Dragons details ?

MAJourney said:

WIP

Maybe a spotlight in front of the Dragon that illuminates the Dragon only, would not have to be very bright, just enough to bring out the Dragons details ?

I've got a couple distants on him only in that render, but they're not very bright. I could brighten them a bit.

I'm not sure if this "smoke" is even realistic. In Phooshop, i created two layers -- one in front of the dragon and one behind e dragon -- and used Fiterb - Render - Clouds on both. Stretched a bit, set the blend mode to Screen, and lowered the opacity way down

dragon.jpg
    3840 x 2048 - 423K

dragon.jpg
    3840 x 2048 - 463K

that is looking really impressive Jacob yes

that is looking really impressive Jacob yes

+1 yes

Anyone ever mess with all those weird camera settings in effects; like aperture, focal whatever , etc?

• FENgariFENgari Posts: 1,104
    MAJourney said:

Anyone ever mess with all those weird camera settings in effects; like aperture, focal whatever , etc?

Are you still talking of DS?

In Carrara, we have access to a much simpler system called 'Depth of Field,' which Stezza_Carrara9 and Wendy_Carrara have already mentioned above.

Here's the effect:

Carrara: No Effect
    Real World: Small Aperture, Long Focal Length
    Carrara: Depth of Field: 26; Blur: 200%
    Real World: Large Aperture, Short Focal Length

Aperture does have considerable effect using Octane render plugin though 

I wa never talking about DSnLol In CARRARA Camera effects tab, there's a bunch of camera settings. Doing a render, so can't snip it atm.

MAJourney said:

I wa never talking about DSnLol In CARRARA Camera effects tab, there's a bunch of camera settings. Doing a render, so can't snip it atm.

I was talking about in Carrara and of course Octane adds a whole pile of cameras parameters in effects that were not in the vanilla Carrara you may not have realised also those DCG plugins add a fair few.

• FENgariFENgari Posts: 1,104

What? Where's the aperture setting in Carrara... please post a screenshot of it - there's nothing in the manual and I can't find anything on my interface and I have all of DCG's plugins installed (I don't have Octane though.).

Selinita said:

What? Where's the aperture setting in Carrara... please post a screenshot of it - there's nothing in the manual and I can't find anything on my interface and I have all of DCG's plugins installed (I don't have Octane though.).

Yes I think because he has Octane he is seeing it and it has a dramatic effect in that

Oh yeah, must be an Octane thing

Anyone got a cure for black eye syndrome? Messed with G2's eye shaders, but nope...