Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.12.2.60! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,845
    3Ddreamer said:
    3Ddreamer said:

The last test I did and sent the DUF to CS along with the logs from 4.10 and 4.12 Beta, contained just a G3M Character (Ragnar), conforming hair, pose, camera, first render takes something like 21 sec and finished with a blanks render, hit render again and it renders fine. Neither render drops to CPU. I haven't added lights or changed any of the settings in the Render tab. Same scene in 4.10 works first time. (I am at work just now)

Please attach the scene file in your next post when you can

This scene includes - 

Ragnar, Buzzcut hair, Urban Sport T-shirt and a default camera, but it is virtually every scene rendered since 4.11 Beta came out.

First log straight after blank render, second - just hit render again and it worked

Thanks.

It was initially blank for a few seconds or so in the first render, and then it started rendering.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    3Ddreamer said:

This scene includes - 

Ragnar, Buzzcut hair, Urban Sport T-shirt and a default camera, but it is virtually every scene rendered since 4.11 Beta came out.

@3Ddreamer, There was an update to Iray between 4.10 and 4.11, mentioned in the 4.11 beta thread; The Iray engine is several times larger, (file size, more code,) than the predecessor.

Based on @DoctorJellybean's test results of your files:

It was initially blank for a few seconds or so in the first render, and then it started rendering.

I'm guessing the new engine takes longer to process the various meshes, materials, shaders, lights, etc.

I know that in the early days of Iray, if you didn't close the render window before rendering the same scene again, the second render would start much faster because much of information was already in the video card's memory. Did you close the first window, after stopping the render? If not, that may explain why the second render starts so much faster than the first.

Not sure how to explain the second render starting so much faster, though, if you did close the render window of the first attempt.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449

I am unsure of my ground on this question and I can't check because I don't presently have access to my PC. I feel convinced that it is not possible to save a scene (or scene subset) without including the timeline and any activity along that timeline. For example, it is not possible to select a frame and save that as a scene or scene subset without including all the other frames. I realise there will be suggested work-arounds for resetting the animation, the pose or the figure but these have proved unreliable or unsatisfactiry for me in the past. 

So my question is: does 4.12 address this in any way?

• 3Ddreamer3Ddreamer Posts: 1,276
    L'Adair said:
    3Ddreamer said:

This scene includes - 

@3Ddreamer, There was an update to Iray between 4.10 and 4.11, mentioned in the 4.11 beta thread; The Iray engine is several times larger, (file size, more code,) than the predecessor.

Based on @DoctorJellybean's test results of your files:

I'm guessing the new engine takes longer to process the various meshes, materials, shaders, lights, etc.

I know that in the early days of Iray, if you didn't close the render window before rendering the same scene again, the second render would start much faster because much of information was already in the video card's memory. Did you close the first window, after stopping the render? If not, that may explain why the second render starts so much faster than the first.

Not sure how to explain the second render starting so much faster, though, if you did close the render window of the first attempt.

Ah but my render never starts the first time, it finishes blank on its own in a matter of seconds - I never stopped the render. I did closed the blank render before clicking render again. I agree that the info is loaded into memory/iray which is why it renders second time - it is just why does it render a scene blank the first time.

edited July 2019
    3Ddreamer said:
    Ah but my render never starts the first time, it finishes blank on its own in a matter of seconds - I never stopped the render. I did closed the blank render before clicking render again. I agree that the info is loaded into memory/iray which is why it renders second time - it is just why does it render a scene blank the first time.

What are your system specs, i.e. video card, RAM, Render Settings (Advanced tab in IRAY)?

Post edited by DoctorJellybean on
  • luttikrobluttikrob Posts: 12

Hi,

Pretty sure im doing something wrong here but, i can open projects, but then when im dont with it and save it, daz crashes. had to revert back to .11

This happens also when i dont alter anything in the scene and then save it.

• luttikrob said:

Hi,

Pretty sure im doing something wrong here but, i can open projects, but then when im dont with it and save it, daz crashes. had to revert back to .11

Resaving in this beta is known to be an issue, under some circumstances.

• sojak72sojak72 Posts: 18
    edited July 2019

Hello,
    just a small side note to the dev.
    Daz ver. 4.12.0.33 and 4.11.0.383;
    In Morph Loader Pro;
    Save Preset -> "Scale" - factor will not be saved in preset!

And by the way, well done, I like the new "Timeline"!
    Have a nice day.

Post edited by sojak72 on
    3Ddreamer said:

What are your system specs, i.e. video card, RAM, Render Settings (Advanced tab in IRAY)?

I'm at work again but from memory - Alienware R17 (I think), Gforce GTX 980M, 4GB VRAM, 16 RAM, only the 980M selected and Optix turned on - I did some testing originally before raising a ticket and found optix on helped - haven't tested that off with 4.12 Beta yet. Been watching the iterations as it renders and it never exceeds the cards memory or drops to CPU on small scenes.

sojak72 said:

Hello,
    just a small side note to the dev.
    Daz ver. 4.12.0.33 and 4.11.0.383;
    In Morph Loader Pro;
    Save Preset -> "Scale" - factor will not be saved in preset!

And by the way, well done, I like the new "Timeline"!
    Have a nice day.

You'll need to report it here (giving as much info as you can):

https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

barbult said:

I don't see a recent entry specifically related to saving Strand-Based texture maps. I am not converting to dForce hair. Did I overlook something? The last entry I see that might be related is 4.12.0.23, which of course is incorporated in the 4.12.0.33 I am testing. 

And the update appears to being released today

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4783916/#Comment_4783916

Please try it again when you have the update.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    barbult said:

I don't see a recent entry specifically related to saving Strand-Based texture maps. I am not converting to dForce hair. Did I overlook something? The last entry I see that might be related is 4.12.0.23, which of course is incorporated in the 4.12.0.33 I am testing. 

And the update appears to being released today

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4783916/#Comment_4783916

Please try it again when you have the update.

Thanks. I've got a render going, but I'll download the new version and check when it finishes. I see that the Change Log description of the Strand-Based Hair Editor fix was modified. It no longer says conversion to dForce hair. It says various Strand-Based Hair dialogs, so I have hope now that it will address my problem.

luttikrob said:

Hi,

My personal experience so far has been a rigged prop that caused the problem. I haven't had time to test other possible culprits, but check your scenes for things like snakes, ropes, chains, maybe even animals with lots of bones in their tails, (or necks,) like dragons.

Beta 4.12.0.42 was released, apparently today, and it may have fixed the problem. I'm going to download it now, and test it with the file I know makes .33 crash. I'll let you know if still crashes on save with .42.

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    L'Adair said:
    luttikrob said:

Hi,

My personal experience so far has been a rigged prop that caused the problem. I haven't had time to test other possible culprits, but check your scenes for things like snakes, ropes, chains, maybe even animals with lots of bones in their tails, (or necks,) like dragons.

Beta 4.12.0.42 was released, apparently today, and it may have fixed the problem. I'm going to download it now, and test it with the file I know makes .33 crash. I'll let you know if still crashes on save with .42.

Does this explain your problems?

Inverse Kinematics (IK)

• Fixed a crash that occurred when attempting to create an IK Chain for a selected node that it is not possible to create an IK chain for; i.e., a skeleton
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

The strand based hair editor crashes DS to the desktop when I try to export or import a texture set in the Paint tab.

Could we have a few more details please, e.g. texture to import. I've quickly tried it, and it appears to be ok.

Interesting that it worked for you. I thought it best to submit a help request. After many attempts, I finally got a couple crash logs to submit. This is what I reported:

Daz Studio 4.12.0.33 crashes to the desktop when I attempt to export, import, or rename texture maps from the Paint tab. Sometimes I get a crash dump sometimes I don't. Two crash logs are attached. 
    To reproduce this error: 
    1) Create a new primitive sphere (see screenshot for the settings I used) 
    2) Create a new Strand-Based hair fit to the sphere (see screenshot for the settings I used). 
    3) Select the Strand-Based Hair in the Scene pane and open the Strand-Based Hair Editor 
    4) The Strand-Based Hair Editor opens to the Setup tab. Do not touch anything in this tab. It looks OK. The Sphere Default surface is already selected. Click on the Paint tab. 
    5) In the Paint tab, with Gray - Hair Density texture set selected, paint a stripe on the sphere.
    6) Click the Export button 
    For me, this crashes DS to the desktop during the export process. Sometimes it gets farther than other times, but it always crashes. My scene is attached.

It also crashes if I attempt to import a previously saved map (saved with DS 4.11.0.383). 
    It also crashes if I attempt to rename a texture set.

This is fixed in DS 4.12.0.42 Beta, just as Doctor Jellybean predicted.

Good to hear!

marble said:
    L'Adair said:
    luttikrob said:

Hi,

Inverse Kinematics (IK)

• Fixed a crash that occurred when attempting to create an IK Chain for a selected node that it is not possible to create an IK chain for; i.e., a skeleton

I don't know. I'm working on a scene at the moment, so I haven't installed the update. However, the way that reads, "crash that occurred when attempting to create…" doesn't sound like my issue. After loading the file in the .33 beta, I've been able to make changes to my heart's content. It's only when I attempt to save the file, it crashes.

But it is possible fixing the IK Chain issue will also fix the save issue. Stranger things have happened. I should be able to test this later today. I'll report back here.

• Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,370

I just downloaded to the new, new Beta but, sadly, looks like we're still getting crashes on 4.11 scenes. sad

DS 4.12.0.42 Beta seems to have fixed the Blank render problem I've had since 4.11 Beta. I've tested 4 quick portrait, shutting down between each setup - and they render first time, every time.

Spoke too soon - old scenes created in 4.11 still render blank first time. New scenes are fine.

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,133

Thank you for the beta update & fixing the IK chain crashing issues, Oh making the enabled "Show IK Chains"by default was good idea .

• f7eerf7eer Posts: 116

DS 4.12.0.42 (released this morning) fixes the "crash on saving DS 4.11 scenes" problem I was experiencing with one particular scene. When I read what was changed in the announcement, I thought it would fix the problem, based on some of the data in the crash log I sent to customer service. Cust service contacted me again today, saying they couldn't reproduce it and asking for more info. I thought they might be trying with the latest beta, so I went ahead and tested it, and it worked fine.

3Ddreamer said:

DS 4.12.0.42 Beta seems to have fixed the Blank render problem I've had since 4.11 Beta. I've tested 4 quick portrait, shutting down between each setup - and they render first time, every time.

Spoke too soon - old scenes created in 4.11 still render blank first time. New scenes are fine.

What happens if you save a copy of the 4.11 scenes, shut down .42, reopen .42, load the saved copy and then render?

(This assumes the 4.11 saved scene doesn't crash .42 when you save…! lol)

f7eer said:

DS 4.12.0.42 (released this morning) fixes the "crash on saving DS 4.11 scenes" problem I was experiencing with one particular scene. When I read what was changed in the announcement, I thought it would fix the problem, based on some of the data in the crash log I sent to customer service. Cust service contacted me again today, saying they couldn't reproduce it and asking for more info. I thought they might be trying with the latest beta, so I went ahead and tested it, and it worked fine.

Odd. Not fixed for me. I'm still crashing on 4.11 scenes.

• ParadigmParadigm Posts: 421
    edited July 2019
    Paradigm said:

I am unable to paste or delete keyframes in the new timeline. The buttons a re simply grayed out. Has anyone else experienced this?

Same here. I wonder what's going on? This is a pretty basic functionality. Luckily my Graphmate is still working.

I know it's been 2 pages of comments, but you can select individual keyes by moving the timeline up or down to reach the individual component. I was trying to delete and copy ALL keys, which I cannot do. This is a pretty serious functional gap that any animator is going to want.

hotkeys would be nice too. SFM has a hotkey (M) to create hotkeys to everything selected which is my bread and butter. Want.

A 'Select All' takes upwards of 15 minutes before I can use DAZ Studio again.

Yes, I posed this earlier as well. 

"Select All" takes waaaaaaaay longer than in 4.11.

ugh, so true

Post edited by Paradigm on
  • ParadigmParadigm Posts: 421
    edited July 2019

Accidentally double commented so I'lll add a positive:

With a 2080TI renders scream now. I rendered a scene with 2 G8M in the "Gamer Bedroom", both using dforce clothing and the scene will look basically done in 12 minutes. The difference between 12 minutes and 35 minutes is very slight improved coloration on cheeks, as far as I can tell.

Post edited by Paradigm on
    f7eer said:

Odd. Not fixed for me. I'm still crashing on 4.11 scenes.

Did you report the problem to DAZ customer support? It may be a different different problem. I reported the problem with a description of what I think happened, as well with the crash dump file that DAZ Studio created. The dump file may be key finding other ways of causing the same problem, or it may tell them you are still running DS 4.12.0.33, instead of DS 4.12.0.42 (which fixes the problem). But without the dump, nobody can say anything.

marble said:
    L'Adair said:
    luttikrob said:

Hi,

Inverse Kinematics (IK)

LOL. Actually, it did for me. Sort of. That description relating to the IK Chain is definitely written in terse programmer-ese. It describes a piece of code which is doing something grossly wrong (apparently). It's not meant to be interpreted as a user attempting to create something impossible, causing the save to crash DAZ Studio.

f7eer said:
    Did you report the problem to DAZ customer support? It may be a different different problem. I reported the problem with a description of what I think happened, as well with the crash dump file that DAZ Studio created. The dump file may be key finding other ways of causing the same problem, or it may tell them you are still running DS 4.12.0.33, instead of DS 4.12.0.42 (which fixes the problem). But without the dump, nobody can say anything.

I'm using 4.12.0.42, which I installed this morning. 

Unfortunately, I have no idea what happened. But it's the same error I received every other time:

DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "D:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4 Public Build\dzcore.dll" at 0033:00000000A12DE420, DzIKNode::isCreatingChain()+17744 byte(s)

I have the dump file, but I actually have no idea where to report Beta bugs vs. normal bugs...

f7eer said:

I'm using 4.12.0.42, which I installed this morning. 

Unfortunately, I have no idea what happened. But it's the same error I received every other time:

DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "D:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4 Public Build\dzcore.dll" at 0033:00000000A12DE420, DzIKNode::isCreatingChain()+17744 byte(s)

I have the dump file, but I actually have no idea where to report Beta bugs vs. normal bugs...

Report Beta bugs in the same place as "normal" bugs, and post the dump file with your initial report. It may take a while for an agent to get to you, but my hope and expectation is that someone may look at the dump before the agent even contacts you, and it may help.

L'Adair said:
    3Ddreamer said:

What happens if you save a copy of the 4.11 scenes, shut down .42, reopen .42, load the saved copy and then render?

(This assumes the 4.11 saved scene doesn't crash .42 when you save…! lol)

I hadn't tried that, I will give it a go when I get home from work, but I wasn't seeing the crashing with 4.11 scenes in the last 4.12 Beta, so suspect that wasn't affecting my setup. There definitely seems something odd about 4.11