Daz Studio Pro BETA - version 4.12.2.60! (*UPDATED*)

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,922

Notice that it's a warning, not an error - I suspect it's just saying that there's no point in passing that on/off parameter.

1. Warning goes away when you "enable" OptiX Prime which is weird.
    2. optix.prime.1.dll is still included with the libs (still version 5 though).
    3. If I am not mistaken Changelog says Iray now uses OptiX, not OptiX Prime

Would be nice to clarify if OptiX Prime acceleration checkbox is still doing anything except suppressing that warning.

By the way, I tested some simple scenes I made and DAZ Studio is absolutely destroying all my available system RAM (32 GB) especially with Iray preview enabled. If I disable Iray preview in the viewport I can manage to render using my 2080 Ti, but if viewport is in Iray preview mode the same scene falls back to CPU when I click Render because RAM usage spikes to over 30 GB as if resources are getting loaded twice or something.

I will be upgrading from 32 to 64 GB on Monday so I can continue using it, hopefully memory usage will improve (read: decrease dramatically) in later builds.

So disabling it should cause code that calls that functionality to be bypassed but it doesn't is what your test seems to show.

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,476
    edited July 2019

DAZ Studio is absolutely destroying all my available system RAM (32 GB) especially with Iray preview enabled .. falls back to CPU when I click Render because RAM usage spikes to over 30 GB as if resources are getting loaded twice .. 

Exceeding system ram should result to swapping, not to cpu reversing .. As for resources being loaded twice this is always been true. From 4.5 up you can delete the scene while rendering and you'll get the memory back while iray goes on. This means that iray uses its own copy. May be the new iray version needs a larger working buffer but it should be vram, not ram ..

.. unless they're working on out of core rendering ?

Post edited by Padone on
    edited July 2019

Similarly to Syvie1998's this DAZ Studio 4.12.0.33 was totally unresponsive with very little activity.

I decided, with the new focus of DAZ 3D on animation in DAZ Studio I would try to actually learn how to animate (rather than use aniblocks & other 3rd party captures & such).

A 'Select All' takes upwards of 15 minutes before I can use DAZ Studio again.

Also, not  15 minutes, but just 'selecting all children' of say, eg Genesis 3 Female & her clothing take 3 - 5 minutes!

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • Leonides02Leonides02 Posts: 1,379

Yes, I posed this earlier as well. 

"Select All" takes waaaaaaaay longer than in 4.11.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634

Yes, I posed this earlier as well. 

"Select All" takes waaaaaaaay longer than in 4.11.

yep I am having this too

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,121

"Select All" in what pane? Scene pane?

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634

yes

• Are you guys going to fix the Camera View 'Aim' anytime?

This is not working propperly since 4.9.

When we're on medium/big scenes and we use the aim, like for focusing a hand holding an object, the camera intead of closing on the hand it shows a huge part of the scene.

That tool became useless and I used it a lot back in the day for positioning stuff in the scene.

When we're on medium/big scenes and we use the aim, like for focusing a hand holding an object, the camera intead of closing on the hand it shows a huge part of the scene.

That tool became useless and I used it a lot back in the day for positioning stuff in the scene.

It does vary by whether you are looking towards or away from the origin, though. If you get the wrong result try orbiting and then hit frame again - not ideal, but it seems a fairly reliable work-around for now.

It does vary by whether you are looking towards or away from the origin, though. If you get the wrong result try orbiting and then hit frame again - not ideal, but it seems a fairly reliable work-around for now.

Crap, it is linked to the origin of the project, not the node, found a better work-around:

1. SELECT THE NODE

2. POINT THE VIEW/CAMERA TO THE PROJECT ORIGIN (where the floor grid is)

3. CLICK VIEW AIM

4. ROTATE THE CAMERA THAT IS AIMING THE NODE

Explanation below:

I'm sure someone broke something silly in the program, problem is that since is not completely broken nobody really cares on fixing it...

Anyway, I use a lot of programs and I've been tracking this problem for a while, comparing to other programs too, I use to identify errors and roll back to keep working (Adobe wrecks essential printing tools almost every update).

BUT when you said ORIGIN I reminded that Daz has a crazy reset camera position (maybe something there is broken), and like MODO, it has the flaw of not letting reset the 3D origin so easily as 2D programs, I also noticed that the extra camera I use on the top of the project on wireframe never had this bug, because it is facing the center of the project while the other cameras and perspective were the only ones that sometimes worked, sometimes didn't work.

Well, this reolves part of it. Thanks for the "origin" tip,

• VisuimagVisuimag Posts: 549

A 'Select All' takes upwards of 15 minutes before I can use DAZ Studio again

I have similar issues, except my doesn't even respond after 15 minutes. I get impatient and just shut it down. But, really, this didn't happen on either 4.11 nor 4.10. So, may be something DAZ should investigate.

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,881

What exactly do you have in the scene when selecting all?

• 3Ddreamer3Ddreamer Posts: 1,282

Can anyone who gets the blank/checkerbox render the first time you render (second works) log a ticket. I've been getting it ever since 4.11 went into Beta, got it in 4.11 General Release and still getting it 4.12 Beta. CS are telling me that I am the only person seeing this. I downgraded 4.11 GR to 4.10 GR and that works first time every time. I know I have seen other mention it in threads.

3Ddreamer said:

Can anyone who gets the blank/checkerbox render the first time you render (second works) log a ticket. I've been getting it ever since 4.11 went into Beta, got it in 4.11 General Release and still getting it 4.12 Beta. CS are telling me that I am the only person seeing this. I downgraded 4.11 GR to 4.10 GR and that works first time every time. I know I have seen other mention it in threads.

I certainly haven't encountered it. What do you have in the scene, scene\render settings, etc?

What exactly do you have in the scene when selecting all?

4 main groups -

Environment - Ockham's free 50s kitchen from shareCG

Lights -  GhostLight (H) (emissive mesh plane)

Cameras -  Camera

Characters - Samantha Stephens - Samantha (G3F wearing Genesis clothing)

Darren Stephens - Darren (G3M wearing Genesis 2 Male clothing)

Most of the above have been retextured and converted to iRay. Some parts not made selectable in the viewport. Some parts hidden.

Here is a screen shot of what my scene looks like when I do 'select all' or 'select children'

select.jpg
    1915 x 1033 - 352K
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,679

I tried to do the automatic Weight mapping of an older figure in DS4.12 but it crashed the software.  I probably should have saved the crash report to send somewhere.  Where would I send that?

The last test I did and sent the DUF to CS along with the logs from 4.10 and 4.12 Beta, contained just a G3M Character (Ragnar), conforming hair, pose, camera, first render takes something like 21 sec and finished with a blanks render, hit render again and it renders fine. Neither render drops to CPU. I haven't added lights or changed any of the settings in the Render tab. Same scene in 4.10 works first time. (I am at work just now)

I tried to do the automatic Weight mapping of an older figure in DS4.12 but it crashed the software.  I probably should have saved the crash report to send somewhere.  Where would I send that?

https://helpdaz.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

edited July 2019
    3Ddreamer said:

The last test I did and sent the DUF to CS along with the logs from 4.10 and 4.12 Beta, contained just a G3M Character (Ragnar), conforming hair, pose, camera, first render takes something like 21 sec and finished with a blanks render, hit render again and it renders fine. Neither render drops to CPU. I haven't added lights or changed any of the settings in the Render tab. Same scene in 4.10 works first time. (I am at work just now)

Please attach the scene file in your next post when you can.

Post edited by DoctorJellybean on

The strand based hair editor crashes DS to the desktop when I try to export or import a texture set in the Paint tab.

barbult said:

The strand based hair editor crashes DS to the desktop when I try to export or import a texture set in the Paint tab.

Could we have a few more details please, e.g. texture to import. I've quickly tried it, and it appears to be ok.

barbult said:

Could we have a few more details please, e.g. texture to import. I've quickly tried it, and it appears to be ok.

Interesting that it worked for you. I thought it best to submit a help request. After many attempts, I finally got a couple crash logs to submit. This is what I reported:

Daz Studio 4.12.0.33 crashes to the desktop when I attempt to export, import, or rename texture maps from the Paint tab. Sometimes I get a crash dump sometimes I don't. Two crash logs are attached. 
    To reproduce this error: 
    1) Create a new primitive sphere (see screenshot for the settings I used) 
    2) Create a new Strand-Based hair fit to the sphere (see screenshot for the settings I used). 
    3) Select the Strand-Based Hair in the Scene pane and open the Strand-Based Hair Editor 
    4) The Strand-Based Hair Editor opens to the Setup tab. Do not touch anything in this tab. It looks OK. The Sphere Default surface is already selected. Click on the Paint tab. 
    5) In the Paint tab, with Gray - Hair Density texture set selected, paint a stripe on the sphere.
    6) Click the Export button 
    For me, this crashes DS to the desktop during the export process. Sometimes it gets farther than other times, but it always crashes. My scene is attached.

It also crashes if I attempt to import a previously saved map (saved with DS 4.11.0.383). 
    It also crashes if I attempt to rename a texture set.

Screenshot 2019-07-29 12.27.19.png
    249 x 337 - 17K
    Screenshot 2019-07-29 12.27.40.png
    321 x 421 - 15K
    duf
    duf
    Sphere and Strand Hair.duf
  • TottallouTottallou Posts: 555
    edited July 2019
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

Interesting that it worked for you. I thought it best to submit a help request. After many attempts, I finally got a couple crash logs to submit. This is what I reported:

I get the same thing happen as barbult both with previously saved texture sets, new ones & doing the sphere test - they all make studio crash with no crash logs

Post edited by Tottallou on
    Tottallou said:
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

I get the same thing happen as barbult both with previously saved texture sets, new ones & doing the sphere test - they all make studio crash with no crash logs

Thank you for the confirmation!

3Ddreamer said:

Please attach the scene file in your next post when you can

This scene includes - 

Ragnar, Buzzcut hair, Urban Sport T-shirt and a default camera, but it is virtually every scene rendered since 4.11 Beta came out.

First log straight after blank render, second - just hit render again and it worked

duf
    duf
    Test for render prob1.duf
    txt
    txt
    test in 4.12 - 1.txt
    txt
    txt
    test in 4.12 - 2.txt
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

Daz Studio 4.12.0.33 crashes to the desktop when I attempt to export, import, or rename texture maps from the Paint tab. Sometimes I get a crash dump sometimes I don't. Two crash logs are attached. 
    To reproduce this error: 
    1) Create a new primitive sphere (see screenshot for the settings I used) 
    2) Create a new Strand-Based hair fit to the sphere (see screenshot for the settings I used). 
    3) Select the Strand-Based Hair in the Scene pane and open the Strand-Based Hair Editor 
    4) The Strand-Based Hair Editor opens to the Setup tab. Do not touch anything in this tab. It looks OK. The Sphere Default surface is already selected. Click on the Paint tab. 
    5) In the Paint tab, with Gray - Hair Density texture set selected, paint a stripe on the sphere.
    6) Click the Export button 
    For me, this crashes DS to the desktop during the export process. Sometimes it gets farther than other times, but it always crashes. My scene is attached.

It also crashes if I attempt to import a previously saved map (saved with DS 4.11.0.383). 
    It also crashes if I attempt to rename a texture set.

And confirmed.

And confirmed.

That said, it appears to have been fixed according to the last entry in the latest Change Log.

And confirmed.

That said, it appears to have been fixed according to the last entry in the latest Change Log.

I don't see a recent entry specifically related to saving Strand-Based texture maps. I am not converting to dForce hair. Did I overlook something? The last entry I see that might be related is 4.12.0.23, which of course is incorporated in the 4.12.0.33 I am testing.