Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 12

Comments

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,247

Had to look that one up and from the pictures there are some amazing color variations

• Didn't know about them either. Welcome Tuey!

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

If anyone has the dForce Regency Outfit for G8 Male, can you simply check to see if there are Iray materials besides the boots? For whatever reason, my installation through DIM only came with Iray materials for the boots, and 3Delight materials for everything else. The product page specifies Iray materials, not 3Delight and Iray. I submitted a ticket already. Thanks!

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942
    dawnblade said:

If anyone has the dForce Regency Outfit for G8 Male, can you simply check to see if there are Iray materials besides the boots? For whatever reason, my installation through DIM only came with Iray materials for the boots, and 3Delight materials for everything else. The product page specifies Iray materials, not 3Delight and Iray. I submitted a ticket already. Thanks!

Not just yiou - only checked the coat but all 'Iray' materials are Daz Standrad shader.  However, they will, of course, render in Iray, which is very, in my view, mis-leading.  I had a sudden nasty thoguht and checked and the coat does have dForce simualtion settings on the surfaces.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    dawnblade said:

Daz does allow the use of 3DL materials for Iray as long as they are optimised for Iray. There are Iray materials that won't show up in 3DL and vice-versa. So if a vendor makes sure the materials work as expected in an Iray render, they don't actually have to be "MDL" materials.

I recommend applying the Iray Uber Base to any of these "Iray" materials manually. Daz Studio converts the 3DL materials to Iray on the fly, applying the Iray Uber Base every time you do a render. If you convert them yourself, it will save you that time.

edited July 2019
    SimonJM said:
    dawnblade said:

Not just yiou - only checked the coat but all 'Iray' materials are Daz Standrad shader.  However, they will, of course, render in Iray, which is very, in my view, mis-leading.  I had a sudden nasty thoguht and checked and the coat does have dForce simualtion settings on the surfaces.

Thank you for checking, SimonJM.

Post edited by dawnblade on
    L'Adair said:
    dawnblade said:

Daz does allow the use of 3DL materials for Iray as long as they are optimised for Iray. There are Iray materials that won't show up in 3DL and vice-versa. So if a vendor makes sure the materials work as expected in an Iray render, they don't actually have to be "MDL" materials.

I recommend applying the Iray Uber Base to any of these "Iray" materials manually. Daz Studio converts the 3DL materials to Iray on the fly, applying the Iray Uber Base every time you do a render. If you convert them yourself, it will save you that time.

Thank you, L'Adair. The product page doesn't say that it is optimized for Iray, and the products that do--at least those that I have used--do include .MDLs. This says "Daz Studio Iray Material Presets (.DUF)" so I was expecting separate Iray materials. I think it is confusing to not include the materials, but thanks for letting me know about Daz' position on it.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

Congrats on Tuey. They are pretty and weird looking parrots I think. I've got my 2 female ringnecks sharing a cage now and for 2 adult females they deserve extra apples for co-existing in the same cage even if they aren't exactly friends. It's like being at a party where the two most gregarious women at the party make a point of it too ignore each other! Pretty weird and I still check on them frequently to make sure they are really not causing trouble. 

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,714
    edited July 2019
    SimonJM said:
    dawnblade said:

And the buttons on the coat are painted on (not looking very good), probably to avoid dForce problems.  Oskarsson has always made quality stuff and on previous non dForce products he's using real modeled buttons.  dForce has its advantages but in general I think it has reduced the quality of the products in some ways. I generally avoid products that have that common paper thin look which is typical for dForce.

ETA: actually he's using real buttons on the pants and vest, but maybe these are conforming only?  

Post edited by Taoz on
    Taoz said:
    SimonJM said:
    dawnblade said:

And the buttons on the coat are painted on (not looking very good), probably to avoid dForce problems.  Oskarsson has always made quality stuff and on previous non dForce products he's using real modeled buttons.  dForce has its advantages but in general I think it has reduced the quality of the products in some ways. I generally avoid products that have that common paper thin look which is typical for dForce.

ETA: actually he's using real buttons on the pants and vest, but maybe these are conforming only?  

Thanks for checking, Taoz. The boots, vests, and pants are listed under conforming clothing.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Congrats on Tuey. They are pretty and weird looking parrots I think. I've got my 2 female ringnecks sharing a cage now

There's a yellow baby ringneck in the baby area with the kakarikis. And it was so cute- a latino cockatiel was cuddling up with Matuihe. 

edited July 2019

Okay, question- does this work on people? It's in the discounted vendor group today. (If you buy a release, it goes additional 20% off)

And why are forum posts processing through Facebook.com?   When you post soemthing, watch down at your bottom left corner as it runs through the processes. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    Novica said:

Okay, question- does this work on people? It's in the discounted vendor group today. (If you buy a release, it goes additional 20% off)

And why are forum posts processing through Facebook.com?   When you post soemthing, watch down at your bottom left corner as it runs through the processes. 

Goes to 7.98 when I put it in the cart with a new release.

edited July 2019

Ahhh, there's a banner for folks who already have Daz Dragon 3, you get an extra 20% off so DO's like Mila with Mousso are 60% and non DOs are 44% off. (In the new releases)

As an owner of Daz Dragon 3, this weekend only, get an EXTRA 20% OFF all Featured New Releases in the "Battle of Hoof and Tusk" sale.

Post edited by Novica on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

I was interested in that DAZ Dragon 3 deal but was only willing to buy one new product to get the free dragon.

• NathNath Posts: 2,713
    edited July 2019
    Novica said:

Okay, it does work on people - quick test with several grunge and scratches options applied. The hair has a dust option applied.

Facebook Connect is one of the things I have blocked through Ghostery, so if that is what you're seeing, the forums appears to work perfectly fine without.

test.png
    1275 x 861 - 1009K
    Post edited by Nath on
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    Taoz said:
    SimonJM said:
    dawnblade said:

Buttons should move with the cloth, but not change shape. Modeled buttons can fall off the cloth during a dForce simulation. "Painting" them on the cloth texture is one solution. I prefer using modeled buttons and Rigid Follow Nodes. (Buttons on conforming items can distort badly, too. It's not just a dForce problem.)

I don't have the product, but if I did, the first thing I'd do is create a button prop from one of the buttons, (longer process than this statement makes it sound,) and instance it to make buttons for the coat. I'd use the painted on buttons as my guide and use Rigid Follow Nodes to place each button where it belongs (Items on Rigid Follow Nodes will show up in various places of the expanded bones view of the parent object. With one original and several instances, you only have to find the original to change the textures. As you name the nodes, include "original" in the node name for the original button, and you can use the filter to easily find it.)

The last thing I'd do is open the texture in Photoshop and remove the buttons from the texture, (also a longer process than this statement makes it sound,) and save my modified version with a new name, usually the original name with "_LA" appended to the end.

This would also make it easier to use a fabric shader on the coat object.

But hey, that's just me…

L'Adair said:
    dawnblade said:

Daz tested the materials in Iray renders and it is as you said, so I'm good. Thanks!

Nath said:
    Novica said:

Okay, it does work on people - quick test with several grunge and scratches options applied. The hair has a dust option applied.

Facebook Connect is one of the things I have blocked through Ghostery, so if that is what you're seeing, the forums appears to work perfectly fine without.

Thanks for testing it!  It's $7.98 and 60% off so I'm going to buy it. I think it looks as good as the release today which has effects for skin.

edited July 2019
    L'Adair said:
    Taoz said:
    SimonJM said:
    dawnblade said:

Buttons should move with the cloth, but not change shape. Modeled buttons can fall off the cloth during a dForce simulation. "Painting" them on the cloth texture is one solution. I prefer using modeled buttons and Rigid Follow Nodes. (Buttons on conforming items can distort badly, too. It's not just a dForce problem.)

I don't have the product, but if I did, the first thing I'd do is create a button prop from one of the buttons, (longer process than this statement makes it sound,) and instance it to make buttons for the coat. I'd use the painted on buttons as my guide and use Rigid Follow Nodes to place each button where it belongs (Items on Rigid Follow Nodes will show up in various places of the expanded bones view of the parent object. With one original and several instances, you only have to find the original to change the textures. As you name the nodes, include "original" in the node name for the original button, and you can use the filter to easily find it.)

The last thing I'd do is open the texture in Photoshop and remove the buttons from the texture, (also a longer process than this statement makes it sound,) and save my modified version with a new name, usually the original name with "_LA" appended to the end.

This would also make it easier to use a fabric shader on the coat object.

But hey, that's just me…

Thanks, good to know if I should end up modeling something for dForce (or take the time to fix this coat)!

Post edited by Taoz on
  • Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,401

I can't even use DForce. My computer doesn't support it. 

I can't even use DForce. My computer doesn't support it. 

Actually mine does neither, but I hope to build one that can soon.

Got a new chair

IMG_20190720_230426932.jpg
    4096 x 3072 - 3M

Got a new chair

LOL  Your cats thank you!  (Nice chair btw! Looks really comfy.) 

It is and was affordable from Sams as well

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049

It is and was affordable from Sams as well

Doesn't look like you'll get a chance to sit in it.

Eventually although they'll insist on helping me to sit in it

• NathNath Posts: 2,713

You might sit in it wrong if they don't help you. Supervising their human is a very important cat duty. (And they're a goodlooking bunch of kitties!)

And they always take supervision seriously

Thanks the one on the seat cushion is the mama of the other two

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,039

Bought Medieval Fantasy Bedroom and opened it to find two scene files, day and night, unfortunately the PA thought to leave all the settings set for the render. I do not want my settings changed by someone else as I always start with the same default settings and tweak from there. I would have liked to see a scene file that only loaded the props and left the render settings up to me. Here is the day scene using my render settings, I have no idea how it looks using the PAs settings as when I loaded it it was blown out and just looked white. I also deleted the Sun which I believe was a distant light but I am using Sun and Sky. I left the other lights, for the candles, but as the render is going to be a long one, I stopped this at 66%, I will go in and make some changes for the next render to get the render time down.

Medieval Fantasy Bedroom

2019-07-23 10:08:16.997 Total Rendering Time: 19 hours 38 minutes 19.85 seconds

66% Done

Click on image for full size.

This discussion has been closed.