Eevee for DAZ Studio?

2»

Comments

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481
    edited July 2019
    marble said:
    Eventually, the (x) list will become so big that we outgrow DAZ Studio and knuckle down and learn Blender, etc.

Personally I come from Lightwave then I passed to Blender so I started with a professional software and I guess that's why I could spot the daz studio flaws easily. That's also why I was never seriously interested in doing things in daz studio but I rather look at it as a good platform to export daz assets.

So yes I started with a (x) list pretty big from the beginning ..

Post edited by Padone on
  • marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    Padone said:
    marble said:
    Eventually, the (x) list will become so big that we outgrow DAZ Studio and knuckle down and learn Blender, etc.

Personally I come from Lightwave then I passed to Blender so I started with a professional software and I guess that's why I could spot the daz studio flaws easily. That's also why I was never seriously interested in doing things in daz studio but I rather look at it as a good platform to export daz assets.

So yes I started with a (x) list pretty big from the beginning ..

I'm glad to see that you seem to consider a move from pro software to Open Source something of a sideways move. I find that encouraging and I'm looking forward to downloading the Blender 2.8 release when I get home and to start to play with things like diffeomorphic. I feel a new learning phase is about to begin as my (x) list now includes exploring more animation possibilities as well as soft-body physics - two areas in which DAZ Studio doesn't really compete. 

• Padone said:
    JonnyRay said:

No thank you. We don't need another engine ..

I do agree. That is, it is clear that daz studio is meant more to play premade content from the shop, with some extra features for content creation for the more "advanced" users. But it is also clear that if you want to be serious about content creation and animation you need another more professional platform to work with and export there. Someone choose blender, others maya, others lightwave. But you have to go off daz studio. So no, the average daz users that just want to play with the shop assets don't need another engine.

That, especillay the "it is clear that daz studio is meant ", is pretty speculative. DS does have tools for setting up content (it isn't, however, a creation tool), it does have aniamtion tools, and the change log for 4.12.x.x shows those are receiving further attention.

Padone said:
    ebergerly said:

Eevee is just a name for some software techniques that are evolving, and are used in games and elsewhere. It's just code and hardware, with lots of ways to have "interoperability" between different API's and systems.

IMO the biggest question going forward is what will Studio use in coming years? Will Iray survive, or will we move to something else? 

Unfortunately as always there's a "brand war" out there. So everyone wants to monopolize. That's why apple discards opengl and opencl, nvidia goes to proprietary rtx that's not supported anywhere apart some demos, while amd and intel seem the only ones interested in open standards.

As for daz studio we have iray realtime that's out there from a while now but they never showed any interest about it. As I said above personally I believe daz is just targeting a player for the shop content so daz studio will never be a "professional" platform to work with. But I also believe this is fair enough since more advanced users can always export to more advanced platforms.

That, especillay the "it is clear that daz studio is meant ", is pretty speculative .. and the change log for 4.12.x.x shows those are receiving further attention.

Yep it is entirely my own speculations, and I'll be more than glad if I'm wrong. Thank you for stressing it anyway if it wasn't clear enough. I do appreciate all the improvements daz studio is doing though I really see hard for it to reach a professional level. But we never know ..

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,764
    edited July 2019

Yep it is entirely my own speculations, and I'll be more than glad if I'm wrong.

Perhaps your wording may be "wrong"in asserting what Daz studio is "meant" to be used for in the minds of the software creators.
    However your conclusions, regarding what it is largely used for at this time are sound IMHO.
    I spend alot of time in  other 3D/CG forums.

I  personally have yet to see ANYONE claim they are using the Daz studio software itself, in a professional capacity in TV or Film production...not even  Pre-vis.
    Not asserting they dont exist  but if they are they are not very vocal in the online communities  about their usage

According to the  people ,I have communicated with in the CG industry,the main reason is that DS is not a software that is scalable for the collaborative,large team environments that share assets on huge Linux servers.

They have told me this is due to the essentially one machine at a time nature of the Daz content library system and the requirement to have identical contentlibraries on each machine for mutiple people to use the exact same content in a production.

The rendering options??
    IRay is not a popular production animation engine
    According to the people who post at Artstation and CG talk.

Even NVIDIA does not claim it is so.
    do you see many feature length films or  VFX heavy animation demo reels here:
    https://www.irayplugins.com/iray-for-maya/gallery.php
    https://www.irayplugins.com/iray-for-rhino/gallery.php
    https://www.irayplugins.com/iray-for-3ds-max/gallery.php

3Delight??
    Daz studio does not appear have the fully capable version of 3Delight that was used in the  "Kingsglaive Final Fantasy"
    https://image-engine.com/case-studies/kingsglaive-final-fantasy-xv/

Please correct me, if I am wrong about this and show examples perhaps

As for the genesis figures and content..
     Most people, who  say they have worked for AAA gaming companies,  tell me they have linear pipelines that always include custom game ready built assets for each title and engine not  premade Characters exported from other programs.

The indie gamers have the unity& unreal asset market placesto buy content packages, ready to use in their engines with less labor than converting Daz content according to thier online posts

Sure there are a few freelance "outliers" like myself who use Genesis  figures & content in animation.
    However, the ones I have spoken to, typically export to other pro 3DCC apps  for things like dynamic hair .rigid,softbody &particle effects etc. for final scene assembly and rendering.

it does have aniamtion tools, and the change log for 4.12.x.x shows those are receiving further attention.

Good to see it!!
    However even  assuming Daz studio gets the exact same Maya  human IK ,Foot & hand  contact solver have in Iclone,
    ( A big assumption with no defintive info beyond the Change log data)
    IMHO There are still many,many things needing  to be implemented in future versions on the professional Character animation &VFX side of things .

Post edited by wolf359 on
  • ZilvergrafixZilvergrafix Posts: 1,385
    marble said:

you don't need Eve for previewing in viewport when you have more than 1500 Cuda Cores and +8Gb of Vram for iRay on your Nvidia Card.

Sorry but I beg to differ - IRay preview kills my viewport performance. I can't pose characters or move the camera around without a massive lag. I just can't work like that. Fibre hair also causes a lag - the more hair the worse the lag, and that is with OpenGL. Hate to think what IRay preview and fibre hair together would do - probably a stand-still.

I saw similar aproaches when used Maxwell Render in...2007 so i'm not new to this fancies and sparkies, tecnology is evoluting and Daz is going things at its own pace, and I am very sure Daz will implement something similar in a near or medium future and if not, no problem. Thus, if you want so badly use Eve, Eevee or Evah, whateva its named, stick into Blender!, not all users here use Daz like a mainly aplication, like something said, uses LW, Maya, 3DsMax, I've used C4D, UE4 when released, patience is my virtue, and there was japanese render engines that did this too in the past, maybe i will try Blender when the stable 2.8 releases but I can assure you is not going to be my main aplication because my workflow is pretty stablished now.

.. maybe i will try Blender when the stable 2.8 releases but I can assure you is not going to be my main aplication because my workflow is pretty stablished now.

For artists making comics and using gimp or photoshop for special effects and composition then daz studio just fits nice in my opinion. Most of the issues really come out when trying to do animations ..

• ZilvergrafixZilvergrafix Posts: 1,385
    Padone said:

.. maybe i will try Blender when the stable 2.8 releases but I can assure you is not going to be my main aplication because my workflow is pretty stablished now.

For artists making comics and using gimp or photoshop for special effects and composition then daz studio just fits nice in my opinion. Most of the issues really come out when trying to do animations ..

for animation I use Maya. 

• marblemarble Posts: 7,449
    marble said:

you don't need Eve for previewing in viewport when you have more than 1500 Cuda Cores and +8Gb of Vram for iRay on your Nvidia Card.

Sorry but I beg to differ - IRay preview kills my viewport performance. I can't pose characters or move the camera around without a massive lag. I just can't work like that. Fibre hair also causes a lag - the more hair the worse the lag, and that is with OpenGL. Hate to think what IRay preview and fibre hair together would do - probably a stand-still.

I saw similar aproaches when used Maxwell Render in...2007 so i'm not new to this fancies and sparkies, tecnology is evoluting and Daz is going things at its own pace, and I am very sure Daz will implement something similar in a near or medium future and if not, no problem. Thus, if you want so badly use Eve, Eevee or Evah, whateva its named, stick into Blender!, not all users here use Daz like a mainly aplication, like something said, uses LW, Maya, 3DsMax, I've used C4D, UE4 when released, patience is my virtue, and there was japanese render engines that did this too in the past, maybe i will try Blender when the stable 2.8 releases but I can assure you is not going to be my main aplication because my workflow is pretty stablished now.

Clearly you have a workflow that works for you. I was just looking for a better experience in the viewport stage of the process. I don't have any of the professional software packages because I can't afford them so, if I want to extend my hobby to include more animations then, as @Padone has advised, I will need to spend more time in Blender until I am familiar with the tools it has to offer.

• I don't think the Blender license is compatible with Daz's.