DAZ's Fascination with Bus Stops

Comments

• Cybersox said:
    AllenArt said:

Surpassed only by their fascination for bathrooms....lol.

Laurie

Many of which have toilets with their lids fused on. @-@ 

Yeah, bathrooms with wall length windows. Anyway I hate it when I buy a room with window coverings that dont work. Then you are forced to load an skybox or something.

• Show not TellShow not Tell Posts: 206
    edited July 2019

Yes. What about the lack of buses in the store? Real modern buses... not the double deckers or the weird steam-toon things. School bus, regular transit bus. Nobody uses buses, I guess. They just camp in the bus shelters.

And the welded shut toilet seats... another use for the Iray poops, I suppose. (Thanks, Dog 8!)

yeah, a big bus with a one of those gross bathrooms with a blue chemical saniflush toilet. can you imagine if you were the one sitting on it if the bus rolled over ?

Post edited by Show not Tell on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,561
    edited July 2019

...there's one of these over at Rendo.

Trailways even had a bigger bus complete with whitewalls. Classy.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

So funny, those cars always sound like really angry lawnmowers to me.  My dad was into car racing allot when he was alive and took me to one.  I ended up over at the concession stand which was a ways from the track.  I couldn't stand the noise.  It hurt my ears too much and back in those days I'm not sure if ear plugs were that readily available.  I was miserable to say the least! 

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

Thanks to this thread, I used today's 1 day Daz Original clearance sale to pick up the bus stops (and gate viginettes) that I didn't have.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926

I went to a car race when I was a boy in Indiana but I don't remember where in Indiana. It was boring. What was interesting though was another time we went to a crash derby. That was interesting. I don't know if such things are in the southern Indiana area anymore as that was the time of Roller Derbies and such things.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    kyoto kid said:

...nice.  I've often felt that way.

Almost considered taking up smoking as when my mum would light up, the bus would arrive a minute or two afterwards. 

BTW, that used to work for the waitress in a restaurant too. LOL

Laurie

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

I went to a car race when I was a boy in Indiana but I don't remember where in Indiana. It was boring. What was interesting though was another time we went to a crash derby. That was interesting. I don't know if such things are in the southern Indiana area anymore as that was the time of Roller Derbies and such things.

Stock car races (on paved or dirt tracks) are still very much a thing in Indiana! :)

edited July 2019

...they had them back in MIlwaukee too in the heydey of old NASCAR (when sponsors were still primarily automotive related like STP, Monroe, and Firestone instead of candy companies, financial brokers, and fast food restaurants, and the cars were actually "hopped up" stock models instead of the million dollar plus aerodynamically engineered machines they race today), 

They were also much louder than the Open Wheel Indy cars.  I remember during the annual Wisconsin State Fair (which had two races during its run)  you could hear them over the carnival barkers and rides on the midway a good distance away, with the grandstand even shielding some of the sound.  Today all they get at the old Milwaukee Mile are the lesser events like pickup truck racing as NASCAR has become a multi billion dollar business with it's own television channel.

Hmm, I wonder if bus racing could catch on. In Europe big rig racing is popular.  They could do it like a road rally with designated bus stops as checkpoints.

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453

One time, on TV, I caught some demolition derby event. The rollover contest was amusing. Some beat up little car (with a full roll cage, of course) would go part way around a course, then dive in toward a ramp, hitting it on one side only to deliberately flip the car over. Cars were allowed as many attempts as they could complete and keep going. The winner was the car that completed the most total rollovers. That was *not* the most insane part! The most insane thing was what they called train races. Not locomotives, just cars, but what they did was chain 3 cars together end to end, forming a train. The driver was in the front car, he had steering and throttle, but no brakes. The middle car was empty. The rear car had a brakeman who had no engine or steering, only brakes. Then they would race teams of these trains around a dirt figure-8 course, until the last one still moving was declared the winner. The trick in figure-8 racing is to avoid collisions at the intersection. With a three car train, this is basically impossible! The rear car had the brakeman, because he has the longest view of what's approaching the intersection. Recently, at the Alameda County Fair, I took a ride in a monster truck. It was fairly tame, just to get people warmed up for the main event. At the big monster truck events, the best-selling items in the grandstands are ear plugs...

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453

As for novel uses of a bus stop, the old Formula 1 course at Spa Francorchamps had a bus stop near the "La Source" hairpin. Let's see some old racecars rendered whizzing by a bus stop! Alas, the modern course has eliminated the bus stop, and all use of public roads.

Yup I kind of miss the original track layout, same goes for Hockenheim Silverstone and a few others:(

To see a shining example of the magic one can weave with pre-baked textures and crowd billboards look what some people did with the '67 Spa course. This is in a game originally released in 1997. Grand Prix Legends' tagline: "In 1968, Formula One rules were changed to improve driver safety. Welcome to 1967!"

Whooaaa amazing!! Tks for sharing, I actually started crying like a baby halfway trough that first laplaugh And that gearstick...LOL...Oh man, I miss those V12 and V10 enginescrying Hybrids, tire management, FUEL SAVING, not my kind of racing although I love the sport and watch every race.

Now we just need some (fully rigged, wheels spin, steeringwheel turns) openwheelers to go with the bus stopslaugh

The one really cheesy thing from the original game they couldn't change were the drivers arms and the gearshift action. People spent about 3 years re-modeling the SPA track layout to make it more accurate to RL, and re-texturing the track, and the cars, but they were stuck with the arms. All the people on the side of the track (parked cars, too, IIRC), are billboards. Nothing happens if you run into them, but the guard rails, buildings, bollards and poles will rip a wheel off the car if you hit them. You can also blow the engine if you rev it up too high too often. Grand Prix Legends actually did not sell that well back in the day, because it was TOO realistic in terms of car physics and damage models. Gamers used to just standing on the throttle and turning the wheel would crash the first lap, every time. After a couple of days of this, they would give up and tell their friends it was stupid. Initially, the sim only supported two video cards, one of which went out of business. Without the right video card, it was almost unplayable. The OpenGL patch actually made it possible to wait until some real computing power was available to run it with good frame rates. Now there a ton of mod kits for GPL, for different eras, different cars. The same guys who wrote GPL now run iRacing.com, which is one of the most successful online racing sims going.

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,245
    Going by the responses I see whenever someone takes about the scarcity of male products, the store doesn't have buses because people don't buy them. ;)

One time, on TV, I caught some demolition derby event. The rollover contest was amusing. Some beat up little car (with a full roll cage, of course) would go part way around a course, then dive in toward a ramp, hitting it on one side only to deliberately flip the car over. Cars were allowed as many attempts as they could complete and keep going. The winner was the car that completed the most total rollovers. That was *not* the most insane part! The most insane thing was what they called train races. Not locomotives, just cars, but what they did was chain 3 cars together end to end, forming a train. The driver was in the front car, he had steering and throttle, but no brakes. The middle car was empty. The rear car had a brakeman who had no engine or steering, only brakes. Then they would race teams of these trains around a dirt figure-8 course, until the last one still moving was declared the winner. The trick in figure-8 racing is to avoid collisions at the intersection. With a three car train, this is basically impossible! The rear car had the brakeman, because he has the longest view of what's approaching the intersection. Recently, at the Alameda County Fair, I took a ride in a monster truck. It was fairly tame, just to get people warmed up for the main event. At the big monster truck events, the best-selling items in the grandstands are ear plugs...

...one Sunday afternoon many moons ago, I saw a demo derby on the old ABC Wide World of Sports that featured all luxury cars like LIncolns, Cadillacs as well well as a Rolls Royce. Several famous race drivers were involved (I believe Mario Andretti was driving the Rolls).  If I remember correctly, it was some sort of charity event. 

I also remember "figure eight" races that were a hybrid of racing and demo derby..

Timbales said:
    Going by the responses I see whenever someone takes about the scarcity of male products, the store doesn't have buses because people don't buy them. ;)

...a bit different as we have a number of male figures/characters but not a much in the way of other content (like clothing & hair), while the opposite is true with all the bus stop models yet few transit buses to go with them. 

Yeah the pricey Pro sites have more buses, but who here can afford 100$ or more for a single model (and many are in formats which are not compatible with Daz/Poser)?

• Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,120

Worth remembering that a lot of people who make environments, don't make vehicles.. I can only acquire what's offered to the PC, so if someone does a bus, I'd take it ;)

• NathNath Posts: 2,713

I don't think you'd like the bus I could make with my current level of mad blender skillzz

• WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893

There are a couple of guys in the Sims community that make amazingly detailed 3D cars. Maybe one of them could be persuaded to branch out.

...3ds format does not convert easily to Daz.  I once tried converting a .3ds model through Hexagon to .obj, but lost all the material zones completely and was left with a large number of small meshe components with just numbers, etc, and no reference as to what part of the model they belonged to. 

Carrara can import and convert the older .3ds format but not .max files.  To convert ".max" format requires access to the 3DS Max programme.

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    kyoto kid said:

...3ds format does not convert easily to Daz.  I once tried converting a .3ds model through Hexagon to .obj, but lost all the material zones completely and was left with a large number of small meshe components with just numbers, etc, and no reference as to what part of the model they belonged to. 

Carrara can import and convert the older .3ds format but not .max files.  To convert ".max" format requires access to the 3DS Max programme.

Poser can use it as it is ...

Apart from that: free converters:

Autodesk FBX Converter

https://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Graphic/Image-Convertors/Autodesk-FBX-Converter.shtml

MeshLab

http://www.meshlab.net/

PoseRay

https://sites.google.com/view/poseray

Cool, I didn't see those type of events. Another event they did have was a demo event where people tried to smash a car, already somewhat junky, with a sledgehammer.

Timbales said:

Well, as unquestionably outstanding as the London double decker bus is & even being a PC+ item I didn't actually buy it until last year, after 2 years on my wish list.

edited July 2019
    Kerya said:
    kyoto kid said:

Poser can use it as it is ...

Apart from that: free converters:

Autodesk FBX Converter

https://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Graphic/Image-Convertors/Autodesk-FBX-Converter.shtml

MeshLab

http://www.meshlab.net/

PoseRay

https://sites.google.com/view/poseray

...I tried the newest Autodesk FBX Converter (from their site) and all it would see were .3ds formats, not .max. when I tried to load a file.

Never could get PoseRay to work properly. 

Yes, Poser, like Carrara, will import ".3ds" files, but files with the ".max" extension are proprietary to the 3DS programme. 

...from an old thread on the  Rendo 3D Modelling Forum, but the reason is well stated.

I have read that the .max format is in fact the list of the commands for 3DMax to create the mesh so it is absolutely bound to the program. It is a pity because many times i saw interesting meshes saved in .max format (it escapes me why save a mesh in a totally proprietary format and not, for example, save it also in a standard one like 3ds or obj....)

You save a .max file to share with other 3ds max users; because that is the scene file for 3ds max. It carries everything from cameras and lights, to render settings, to materials/shaders (procedural & image based), to particle generators, animations, and so on. Anything that could be in a 3ds max scene.
    If the user intends to share just an object, then they will probably save out the object as .3ds or whatever format they want to use.

If you are going to convert objects w/ the demo.; you'll have to select the objects that you want to export and 'export selected' from the file menu.
    MAKE SURE that the modifier stack for the object(s) is collapsed and the xforms have been reset, else the objects won't export correctly..

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,795

this thread got me thinking...

best thing about Carrara is if you ain't got a bus you can always knock a roughie up in no time for your bus shelters wink

...if you have the modelling skills.

For those who don't or don't have the time (as they have other things to deal with in life) having a few pre made "real world" city buses available would be nice.

• Bus stops?

Don't get me started on bathrooms.

What the world needs is bus stops with built in bathrooms!  :D

**Ducks**

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Bus stops?

Don't get me started on bathrooms.

What the world needs is bus stops with built in bathrooms!  :D

**Ducks**

Exactly, with lids that don't open, also with built in flight simulators with proper hydraulics that won't move, and additional lethal spikes pointing inwards, both for male and female, IRay onlyyes

• ROFL!!!!

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,674

Exactly, with lids that don't open, also with built in flight simulators with proper hydraulics that won't move, and additional lethal spikes pointing inwards, both for male and female, IRay onlyyes

Pose set included, no flat foot, only extreme spike heels pose

• EsemwyEsemwy Posts: 577

Speaking of all the bathroom products, has anyone else noticed that many of the “urban,” or “stylish,” or “modern” apartments don’t have bathrooms? Maybe some of the PAs should be collaborating. laugh