DAZ's Fascination with Bus Stops

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,515
    Dogz said:

No Yellow U.S School bus either, (and by that i mean up to recent standards -before someone points me to a low poly rendo one that as old as me) along with the old London route master, its an international icon for a bus. the more i think about it, the crazier it seems that this gap exists when Daz and vendors (myself included) have put out way nichier land vehicles in the past. And In my own case with the Thumper, no - it didnt flop, it did reasonably well and that was nicher than niche.

...love the old Thumper.

railway station beta.png
    1600 x 1200 - 3M
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711

I wonder who makes the Twinmotion busses?

• DogzDogz Posts: 896
    edited July 2019

@Kyoto Kid Thank you sir! - And Sweet render! The best ive seen of that set, is that in the gallery?

Post edited by Dogz on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    kyoto kid said:
    Dogz said:

No Yellow U.S School bus either, (and by that i mean up to recent standards -before someone points me to a low poly rendo one that as old as me) along with the old London route master, its an international icon for a bus. the more i think about it, the crazier it seems that this gap exists when Daz and vendors (myself included) have put out way nichier land vehicles in the past. And In my own case with the Thumper, no - it didnt flop, it did reasonably well and that was nicher than niche.

...love the old Thumper.

Many happy memories riding the North Kent line as a kid in the old Thumpers.  Strood . . . Gravesend . . . Dartford . . . Lewisham . . . London Bridge . . . Charing Cross!

Sweet render there, KK yes

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    kyoto kid said:
    Dogz said:

...love the old Thumper.

Many happy memories riding the North Kent line as a kid in the old Thumpers.  Strood . . . Gravesend . . . Dartford . . . Lewisham . . . London Bridge . . . Charing Cross!

Sweet render there, KK yes

OMG     you forgot the stops in between,  or were you on the fast train.   I had to suffer all the stops,  Erith, Belverdere, AbbeyWood, Plunstead, Woolwich Arsenal, Woolwich Dockyard etc  And I ended up at Cannon Street, as I worked in the City.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

No, I didn't forget, this was just the edited highlights, as life's too short, lol

Coming back, I'd always wake up in the tunnel between Higham and Strood - change in air pressure, I guess - but it was the signal we were nearly home...  Haven't been back down that line in donkeys years!

• DogzDogz Posts: 896

I actually never been that route or those trains, but have memories of similar ones on the north London link. I just did the Thumper because it looked cooler and was more quirky with that big ass Generator taking up a quarter of the thing. 

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,246

Greenpots and 3DClassics over on Rendo both have school busses. And there's another one over on Summoner's Freedom of Art site. They all look fairly retro, but I've seen coaches that don't look sifgnificantly more modern on the streets of L.A. so that general style and shape is evidently still in use.

But, yeah it's an odd gap in what's available. There's about a dozen various busses over on Rendo. A few of them only for Vue. Most of them either look fairly retro, or fairly low-poly.  They'd work in the distance, bt no, nothing much like an ordiary city bus.

• LarryadLarryad Posts: 35
    edited July 2019

Stonemason's Urban Sprawl 3 has some simple city bus props in it. 

bus.jpg
    1096 x 705 - 623K
    Post edited by Larryad on
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    kyoto kid said:
    Gogger said:

I guess the sign could say "Красная Площадь" (Red Square) - there is actually at least one "Red Square" bus stop here in Moscow. This particular bus stop doesn't look like your typical Moscow bus stop, but since most people outside the former USSR wouldn't really know that... at least it would have proper Russian text.

Come to think of it, if we were to crowdsource it, there must be people on the forums who could provide some iconic Ukrainian bus stop names. Or maybe even Georgian and Armenian.

...don't forget Serbia which also uses the cyrillic alphabet.

Serbia uses both. Georgia and Armenia use neither. Just look at how awesome theirs are:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenian_alphabet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgian_scripts

I've been to Armenia. The bus stops were just a sign on a pole. To me (the untrained American), Armenian looks like the Tolkien Elvish font!

As for novel uses of a bus stop, the old Formula 1 course at Spa Francorchamps had a bus stop near the "La Source" hairpin. Let's see some old racecars rendered whizzing by a bus stop! Alas, the modern course has eliminated the bus stop, and all use of public roads.

Yup I kind of miss the original track layout, same goes for Hockenheim Silverstone and a few others:(

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,024

Bus stops, bus stops everywhere, and not a bus to ride.

edited July 2019

...nice.  I've often felt that way.

Almost considered taking up smoking as when my mum would light up, the bus would arrive a minute or two afterwards. 

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    Dogz said:

@Kyoto Kid Thank you sir! - And Sweet render! The best ive seen of that set, is that in the gallery?

..love this set.  Bought the full bundle as a good part of my story takes place in the UK. 

• DripDrip Posts: 1,125
    Gordig said:

Bus stops, bus stops everywhere, and not a bus to ride.

Rime of the Ancient Mariner Commuter?

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933

Gogger said:

And here is a little bus stop scene using Mustakettu85's Russian text on the sign. This scene was not a serious effort at a meaningful render, just some fluff thrown in to show the new sign. :)

OMG that's too funny :) BTW Smay is a Ukrainian artist, this is why his USSR-themed stuff is so authentic.

You know, for a total "Sovietpunk" feel, there should be some sort of a military vehicle about to arrive, vaguely disguised as a bus.

// not sure there are any USSR designs in the store here, though //

We have a nice Sovietpunk tram line... https://www.daz3d.com/tram-line

You know, we have Trains and Subway/Metro cars for the Train/Metro stations. Why not buses for the bus stops?!

Ah, don't get me started on that tram line. Fine design and all (although the frozen Han Solos holding flags are questionable), but the vendor didn't even make an attempt to use Cyrillic properly. 

...do we have actual metro stations, though?

kyoto kid said:
    Gogger said:

I guess the sign could say "Красная Площадь" (Red Square) - there is actually at least one "Red Square" bus stop here in Moscow. This particular bus stop doesn't look like your typical Moscow bus stop, but since most people outside the former USSR wouldn't really know that... at least it would have proper Russian text.

Come to think of it, if we were to crowdsource it, there must be people on the forums who could provide some iconic Ukrainian bus stop names. Or maybe even Georgian and Armenian.

...don't forget Serbia which also uses the cyrillic alphabet.

Serbia uses both. Georgia and Armenia use neither. Just look at how awesome theirs are:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenian_alphabet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgian_scripts

I've been to Armenia. The bus stops were just a sign on a pole. To me (the untrained American), Armenian looks like the Tolkien Elvish font!

It surely does. I don't remember if I ever read anything about what specifically inspired the Professor to create Tengwar... 

• nelsonsmithnelsonsmith Posts: 1,321

Where's that poster that pops up around this time to tell everybody that "PAs are in this for the money and they only craft what sells." ?

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

I’ll say it!

And more accurately it’s return on investment; easier stuff to work on has a lower cost, more reliable sales are generally preferred, etc

Oso3D said:

more reliable sales are generally preferred

So when is Oso Bus Stop coming out? =D

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,749

Where's that poster that pops up around this time to tell everybody that "PAs are in this for the money and they only craft what sells." ?

Perhaps those bus stops are big sellers which is why so many are made.
    If you want to see less bus stops, convince the customers to stop buying them devil

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711

its all the hookers

...and fairies.

oooh, it's reallly reallly cold.jpg
    600 x 776 - 312K
  • JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,246

Like a lot of the halways, I think more than one of the bus stops were weekly freebies originally.

• Yes. With all the Daz Original bus stops, many of which were provided "free" to us end-users, there's amazingly few Daz Original buses to go with the bus stops.

Very curious, indeed.

Oso3D said:

more reliable sales are generally preferred

Since it's Oso3D, it has to be a "Cat Bus" stop, something to fit My Neighbor Totoro's bus.

catbus.JPG
    1524 x 855 - 167K
  • I would love a cat bus!  My whole family are Miyazaki fans :-)

• AJ2112AJ2112 Posts: 1,416

What is it with DAZ's ongoing obsession with bus stops?

All these bus stops, but rather a dearth of busses to travel to them in. There's a toon one, two vintage ones, a couple of weird ones and a curious one, but no normal modern bus.

Oh well, at least we've got plenty of places to wait for one.

Rofl !!!  Couldn't agree more.  City bus stop is lifetime freebie devil

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
    edited July 2019

Since it's Oso3D, it has to be a "Cat Bus" stop, something to fit My Neighbor Totoro's bus.

Or at least a "Furry Bus Stop"! laugh

Post edited by JonnyRay on
  • SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453

As for novel uses of a bus stop, the old Formula 1 course at Spa Francorchamps had a bus stop near the "La Source" hairpin. Let's see some old racecars rendered whizzing by a bus stop! Alas, the modern course has eliminated the bus stop, and all use of public roads.

Yup I kind of miss the original track layout, same goes for Hockenheim Silverstone and a few others:(

To see a shining example of the magic one can weave with pre-baked textures and crowd billboards look what some people did with the '67 Spa course. This is in a game originally released in 1997. Grand Prix Legends' tagline: "In 1968, Formula One rules were changed to improve driver safety. Welcome to 1967!"

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

To see a shining example of the magic one can weave with pre-baked textures and crowd billboards look what some people did with the '67 Spa course. This is in a game originally released in 1997. Grand Prix Legends' tagline: "In 1968, Formula One rules were changed to improve driver safety. Welcome to 1967!"

Whooaaa amazing!! Tks for sharing, I actually started crying like a baby halfway trough that first laplaugh And that gearstick...LOL...Oh man, I miss those V12 and V10 enginescrying Hybrids, tire management, FUEL SAVING, not my kind of racing although I love the sport and watch every race.

Now we just need some (fully rigged, wheels spin, steeringwheel turns) openwheelers to go with the bus stopslaugh

...pretty impressive for 21 years ago. 

Driving and flight simulations are the only "games" I really have an interest in anymore. The only downside, the cost as I'd need the proper control interfaces and for an aircraft, that could get expensive. particularly for a 3 display array (a game controller or keyboard and sinly flat display just doesn't work for the actual sensation).