DAZ's Fascination with Bus Stops

Comments

• Gogger said:
    Gogger said:

https://www.daz3d.com/soviet-bus-stop

(I was actually born in the Soviet Union; can't say this looks especially authentic... granted, I'm Russian and there were way more republics to the USSR than Russia, so maybe it was a design common in Georgia...)

Whatever. I speak Russian (and read Cyrillic as a result). So I can't help but wonder why a single bus stop has a sign saying "busstops". Plural and without a space.

This must mean that a constant stream of bus stops will never gonna stop! 

Can you verify if it is customary for Russian signs to run the text right to the edge?  Normally there is a little bit of space between the edges of text and sign edges. If crowding the edges is a common thing there...

Absolutely not. The visual cortex functions do not depend on citizenship ;) Russian signs and other typographic objects function like any other in terms of padding, leading, kerning and tracking.

Moreover, as I wrote a few posts back, we do not advertise bus stops as "Bus Stops" in written form =D

Check out how a recent design looks... It's a trolleybus station, but the principles are the same. Google translate should help if you're curious about the text: https://varlamov.ru/1365033.html - they decided to include the name of the station now for in-city stops as well. In multiple places.

Here's a simpler typical one: https://m.polit.ru/media/photolib/2015/06/24/ostanov_1444641243.jpg

I have enough Photoshop-Foo to make the sign spacing change myself, but figured if I was PAYING for something, why should I have to 'correct' it?  If you could provide some kind of proper text maybe we could get the vendor to post an update. (I did this with a DZFire product once and they got it done really quick!  Proof that PAs do CARE!)  Mebbe we could crowd-source this product into a fairly realistic asset!  

I guess the sign could say "Красная Площадь" (Red Square) - there is actually at least one "Red Square" bus stop here in Moscow. This particular bus stop doesn't look like your typical Moscow bus stop, but since most people outside the former USSR wouldn't really know that... at least it would have proper Russian text.

Come to think of it, if we were to crowdsource it, there must be people on the forums who could provide some iconic Ukrainian bus stop names. Or maybe even Georgian and Armenian.

Yard work permitting this weekend, I'll see if I can modify the text source image on that bus stop with your text - thank you!  Maybe even submit it to DAZ to use, with your permission, of course.  Not sure how kindly the original creator of the signage will feel about it, but if all goes well EVERYONE benefits, otherwise, just you and I, I guess.  <LOL> 

• Should have a contest where we recreate famous moments in history, a scene from a movie or book or even something from our imagination...but the setting has to be a bus stop.  Get some fantasy elf characters, some medieval swords, a troll character and have them fighting over a bus stop.  Have soldier characters from WW2, a sci-fi soldier, an ancient Roman soldier all sitting and waiting to be picked up at a bus stop and an armored infantry carrier rolling up to give them all a ride.  Have a bunch of scantily clad male and female characters doing overly-erotic poses around and on top of a bus stop. 

This could be the theme for the next monthly contest!

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited July 2019
    Chohole said:
    I guess that is what is called “free range” lol

oh aye,   they range all over the place.   Can be fun driving, especially on the winding, rural, mountain roads.  

We used to go on bed & breakfast holidays all over the west coast of Scotland. Same thing — you never knew when a corner on a narrow little single-track road might reveal a wooly four-legged speedbump. Or maybe a couple dozen of them...

Post edited by SpottedKitty on
  • Ron KnightsRon Knights Posts: 1,723
    edited July 2019

I've been frustrated for decades. All too often I find lots of great stuff that would make a nice set. But the rest of the supporting stuff is nowhere to be found. Desolation Earth, Alice in Wonderland and Steampunk stuff are an example. Maybe this stuff was all part of a bigger collection at one time. Maybe the majority of "supporting items" went away, and left the orphans behind?

The most complete collection of stuff I found was through some PC Club sales. I got a whole bunch of stuff centering around Moonshine's Diner. That included the scene, poses, clothing etc. I had to take advantage of several bundles to assemble the stuff, but the price was right. I'd love it if DAZ would assemble an entire "themed" collection, including characters, clothing, scenes, poses, etc. Give us a fantastic price on it too!

Post edited by Ron Knights on
  • kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,514
    Gogger said:
    Gogger said:

(I was actually born in the Soviet Union; can't say this looks especially authentic... granted, I'm Russian and there were way more republics to the USSR than Russia, so maybe it was a design common in Georgia...)

Whatever. I speak Russian (and read Cyrillic as a result). So I can't help but wonder why a single bus stop has a sign saying "busstops". Plural and without a space.

Can you verify if it is customary for Russian signs to run the text right to the edge?  Normally there is a little bit of space between the edges of text and sign edges. If crowding the edges is a common thing there...

Absolutely not. The visual cortex functions do not depend on citizenship ;) Russian signs and other typographic objects function like any other in terms of padding, leading, kerning and tracking.

Moreover, as I wrote a few posts back, we do not advertise bus stops as "Bus Stops" in written form =D

Check out how a recent design looks... It's a trolleybus station, but the principles are the same. Google translate should help if you're curious about the text: https://varlamov.ru/1365033.html - they decided to include the name of the station now for in-city stops as well. In multiple places.

Here's a simpler typical one: https://m.polit.ru/media/photolib/2015/06/24/ostanov_1444641243.jpg

I have enough Photoshop-Foo to make the sign spacing change myself, but figured if I was PAYING for something, why should I have to 'correct' it?  If you could provide some kind of proper text maybe we could get the vendor to post an update. (I did this with a DZFire product once and they got it done really quick!  Proof that PAs do CARE!)  Mebbe we could crowd-source this product into a fairly realistic asset!  

I guess the sign could say "Красная Площадь" (Red Square) - there is actually at least one "Red Square" bus stop here in Moscow. This particular bus stop doesn't look like your typical Moscow bus stop, but since most people outside the former USSR wouldn't really know that... at least it would have proper Russian text.

Come to think of it, if we were to crowdsource it, there must be people on the forums who could provide some iconic Ukrainian bus stop names. Or maybe even Georgian and Armenian.

...don't forget Serbia which also uses the cyrillic alphabet.

• MazhMazh Posts: 475

What about gated bus stops with bath room and pool ?

• Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,085
    Mazh said:

I’m on it! Bonus feature will be neither the doors or toilet seats will be adjustable.

• DogzDogz Posts: 896
    Mazh said:

I’m on it! Bonus feature will be neither the doors or toilet seats will be adjustable.

lol.

edited July 2019

...we still don't have a prehistoric, barbaric, ancient/classic, medieval, baroque, colonial, old west, steampunk, goth, Victorian, or sci-fi  bus stop. Lots more themes to go yet.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    kyoto kid said:

...we still don't have a prehistoric, barbaric, ancient/classic, medieval, baroque, colonial, old west, steampunk, goth, Victorian, or sci-fi  bus stop. Lots more themes to go yet.

Maybe one with no way in or out?

• Toilet Time Machine!

You flush yourself through time!  HA HA HA

• goggerfett@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 2,291
    edited July 2019
    Gogger said:
    Gogger said:

I've modified the images for the sign and a render is cooking now. I will post it in the morning and we can see what happens from there.

Post edited by [email protected] on
  • MazhMazh Posts: 475
    kyoto kid said:

Or a man eating creature bus stop mimicry

Busstop_mmc.jpg
    1440 x 1080 - 1M
  • Gogger said:

Toilet Time Machine!

See Day of the Tentacle

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,138
    Gogger said:

Toilet Time Machine!

Nah, I already go through too much time on the toilet, but always forward.indecision  It gives me the willies to imagine going backward in time while on the toilet.  Ewwwwfrown

• ColinFrenchColinFrench Posts: 620

Tomorrow's sale: Buy any 3 featured bus stops and get a luxury bathroom for free!

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,711
    Gogger said:

Toilet Time Machine!

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    Gogger said:

Toilet Time Machine!

That explains why no one has time travelled. wink

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,713
    edited July 2019
    Gogger said:

Toilet Time Machine!

Reminds my of a movie where someone invents a spray which can make dog poo disappear mysteriously, but they're not really sure where it ends up. 

Post edited by Taoz on
  • ColinFrenchColinFrench Posts: 620

After years of pleading by users, Daz Studio 4.27 is proud to announce a much-requested feature -- softbody bus physics!

JonnyRay said:

Later that day, a perplexed Daz spokesperson facing an angry now-crowd was heard to say "What do you mean 'bust physics'? We thought you asked for bus physics".

• goggerfett@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 2,291
    edited July 2019

And here is a little bus stop scene using Mustakettu85's Russian text on the sign. This scene was not a serious effort at a meaningful render, just some fluff thrown in to show the new sign. :)

FS_Soviet_Bus_Stop_to_Red_Square_3D_Erik_Pedersen.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 444K
    Post edited by [email protected] on
  • Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    kyoto kid said:
    Gogger said:
    Gogger said:

Serbia uses both. Georgia and Armenia use neither. Just look at how awesome theirs are:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenian_alphabet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgian_scripts

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    Gogger said:

And here is a little bus stop scene using Mustakettu85's Russian text on the sign. This scene was not a serious effort at a meaningful render, just some fluff thrown in to show the new sign. :)

OMG that's too funny :) BTW Smay is a Ukrainian artist, this is why his USSR-themed stuff is so authentic.

You know, for a total "Sovietpunk" feel, there should be some sort of a military vehicle about to arrive, vaguely disguised as a bus.

// not sure there are any USSR designs in the store here, though //

• IkyotoIkyoto Posts: 1,159

We need more medieval bus stopsindecision

to go with the colonial airports

• IkyotoIkyoto Posts: 1,159
    kyoto kid said:

...I remember bus stops that only had a sign which read, "Bus Stop".  Shelters? Even in Milwaukee WI where we had "real winter" we didn't have shelters.

That said would be nice to have some real city buses. like these:

bravo!!! 

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    kyoto kid said:
    Gogger said:

Serbia uses both. Georgia and Armenia use neither. Just look at how awesome theirs are:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenian_alphabet

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgian_scripts

I've been to Armenia. The bus stops were just a sign on a pole. To me (the untrained American), Armenian looks like the Tolkien Elvish font!

As for novel uses of a bus stop, the old Formula 1 course at Spa Francorchamps had a bus stop near the "La Source" hairpin. Let's see some old racecars rendered whizzing by a bus stop! Alas, the modern course has eliminated the bus stop, and all use of public roads.

•  

Gogger said:

OMG that's too funny :) BTW Smay is a Ukrainian artist, this is why his USSR-themed stuff is so authentic.

You know, for a total "Sovietpunk" feel, there should be some sort of a military vehicle about to arrive, vaguely disguised as a bus.

// not sure there are any USSR designs in the store here, though //

We have a nice Sovietpunk tram line... https://www.daz3d.com/tram-line

You know, we have Trains and Subway/Metro cars for the Train/Metro stations. Why not buses for the bus stops?!

• DogzDogz Posts: 896
    edited July 2019

No Yellow U.S School bus either, (and by that i mean up to recent standards -before someone points me to a low poly rendo one that as old as me) along with the old London route master, its an international icon for a bus. the more i think about it, the crazier it seems that this gap exists when Daz and vendors (myself included) have put out way nichier land vehicles in the past. And In my own case with the Thumper, no - it didnt flop, it did reasonably well and that was nicher than niche.

Post edited by Dogz on
    kyoto kid said:

...yes

Ikyoto said:

We need more medieval bus stopsindecision

to go with the colonial airports

...yes