Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 5

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @franontheedge - the parts are nicely separated. I wonder how this shape would look rendered with Obscure Light and the inner part lit by Obscure Glow.

@David - shapes look great, the first one is particularly nice textured.

I've been experimenting with Hyper-Gel light and IBL. Top left is Hyper-Gel lit and additionally the sun shining through the glass objects. Top right is exclusively IBL lit with quality 4096. It needs almost a third longer to render but there is no noise as in the 256 rpp TA render. Lower left with quality 16 is unusable and at lower right with quality 256 quite acceptable and it takes a tenth of the render time.

Wow, some of those look like plausible caustic effects! The ones on the right best of all I think.

• franontheedgefranontheedge Posts: 342
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @franontheedge - the parts are nicely separated. I wonder how this shape would look rendered with Obscure Light and the inner part lit by Obscure Glow.

Done with what? Where?
    What's 'Obscure Light' and 'Obscure Glow'?

I would love to try that if you could tell me - or point out the tutorial that tells - how to do that.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Horo said:

Done with what? Where?

I would love to try that if you could tell me - or point out the tutorial that tells - how to do that.

Many on this topic on my youtube. Use this search on youtube for a selection to pick from "Brinnen Obscure Light" or for the last "Brinnen Obscure Glow" if you want the glow effect rather than the lighting effect.

• goofygrmom3goofygrmom3 Posts: 160
    edited December 1969

I am in awe of all this wonderful work! I wish I could keep up better with this thread. Unfortunately, time gets away from me.

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,996
    edited November 2013

Horo said:
    @mermaid010 - thank you. The first example looks very nice. The second one was a bit expensive for the result. It somehow appears blurred, though it isn't. It must be the way the reflections show up. Perhaps rotating the reflection sphere could help. The third is really a hit. The rose looks very nice indeed. The problem with this render method is the noise. Perhaps giving the rose-terrain and the ground plane a bit of bump may hide the noise. In any case, great examples!

Thanks Horo. Regarding the second render, I tried to reposition the sun as you mentioned earlier; (I saw the post yesterday) but the results were not so good. I will try rotating the sphere and see if there is an improvement.

In the meantime I played with Wings 3D yesterday and here’s some objects using Wings 3D project - cube twisted ported loop drilled - by David Brinnen – simple renders, default Bryce sky, materials from the presets and the ground plane is the anisotropy material from one of David’s tutorials.

holedobject2.jpg
    600 x 600 - 27K
    twistedcube.jpg
    600 x 600 - 26K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,116
    edited December 1969

@David - thank you.

@franontheedge - if you have watched David's videos, get the Memos that condense the video onto 1 page. No explanations, just a cookbook-like note to remember the essentials. On my website, go to Bryce Documents > Memos > Lighting.

@mermaid010 - you can also use a radial instead of the sun. New shapes are both nicely done.

edited December 1969

Thanks Horo. I just noticed your new renders - the effects are awesome.

• Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 489
    edited November 2013

Thanks for the feedback, all. I'm having trouble picking out good textures/materials. Everything I seem to choose doesn't look good. :/ Guess that's part of the learning experience. :)

Mermaid: those are some excellent renders. I like the last rose, even with the graininess to it.

Franontheedge: very nice work on the twisted cube.

David: wonderful work as always and thanks again for all your tutorials. I've been doing as many as I can, though I haven't posted much due to time constraints, but I will soon.

Horo: The cave renders are really neat and I like the story that goes along with them. Fabulous work on the hyper gel light experiments. The two on the right have some great caustics.

Post edited by Fencepost52 on
    edited December 1969

Horo said:

Done with what? Where?

Many on this topic on my youtube. Use this search on youtube for a selection to pick from "Brinnen Obscure Light" or for the last "Brinnen Obscure Glow" if you want the glow effect rather than the lighting effect.

Thank you very much. I'll try the search in case something else pops up as well, I found the actual videos due to a link in Horo's Documents on Lighting where his PDF's are.

So I'm off to take a look at them now. I can't wait to try this out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    In the meantime here's the last long, looo-ong render.

I've used a gel on the light in the centre of this object, I like the gel but... I'd prefer it to give a smaller denser pattern - I tried increasing the frequency on the image on the light, but nothing changed. So I'm not sure how to do that.

I don't much like the pink in the background, so next time I'll try to remember to change that.

DavidBrinnenLoops5.jpg
    1120 x 865 - 170K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Peter the Polar Bear says he hopes everyone has a SAFE and fun filled Guy Fawkes night.
    He appreciates the firework display from a safe distance.

PeterFireworks.jpg
    450 x 650 - 295K
    edited December 1969

@franontheedge - interesting example, not exactly my favorite colours but I see the potential.

@Dave - ah, image backdrop and light on Peter are nicely matched. Very convincing.

I'm still tinkering with Hyper-Gel and IBL. Here the Stanford Scanning Repository dragon as glass with a hyper texture. Once rendered with Hyper-Gel light with a high-contrast reflection map and once with IBL the HDRI tone-mapped as background. The renders were combined by taking the brighter part of each render.

D-Gel-IBLc.jpg
    800 x 600 - 129K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Peter the Polar Bear says he hopes everyone has a SAFE and fun filled Guy Fawkes night.
    He appreciates the firework display from a safe distance.

Peter reminds me of how my little old dog would be when we were still living in the Park. As the fireworks were never too close he would sit on the lawn and watch them. Decided it wasn't a good idea when we came up here, not when the neighbours had fireworks in their garden. The next 2 years he stayed indoors.

Now I have 2 young cats, and they are a bit spooky with them, but better this year than last.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Horo: Your latest renders are quite nice. The dragon is especially nice, though I don't understand how you achieved the results.

@David: Another video to watch and object to try. The new object is neat looking.

@mermaid: Nice objects your getting, especially the last rose render.

@franontheedge: Really nice results you're getting, the last render especially.

@Dave: Another great looking Peter render. Fireworks look especially nice.

Followed one of David's latest tutorials and came up with the image below.

Blue_Drilled_Cube_1.png
    750 x 750 - 1M
    edited December 1969

@GussNemo - nice shape and very nicely presented.

edited December 1969

Thanks Fencepost and Guss for your comments.

Franontheedge - interesting example, I like the reflections.

Dave – another awesome Peter render.

Horo – I really like your dragon render although dragons are not my fav pets.

Guss –nice render, I think you did not smooth one part of the object, was it deliberate? Anyway I like the effect you got.

Experimenting with material and lighting - how the same material renders with different lighting. I used the object I made following Wings 3D project - Octahedron twisted ported loop webbed - by David Brinnen

The materials were Ground plane default material Diffusion 20 and Reflection 20. Materials for the object the Standard Glass and Pitted Steel from the presets.

1st render – Bryce default sky, soft shadows 35, Regular render MRD 6 TIR 3 time 2hrs 18 mins.

2nd render – Premium RPP 256 TA, Soft shadows, TA scattering correction and boost light, MRD 6 and TIR 3. Obscure lighting using Horo’s Gossiping Hdri Render time 5hrs 47 mins

Btw Horo – I downloaded the memos from your site. It will be cool to have them around when I don’t have internet access. Thanks

wingspremium.jpg
    600 x 600 - 31K
    regularwingsobj.jpg
    600 x 600 - 37K
    edited December 1969

David,
    I keep on seeing that rounded cube with the hole punched through the middle and the small dents around the hole, it's also the object you used in the Red Pearlescent Paint Tut featuring anisotrophy too, but I can't seem to find the tutorial on how to make it. The cube with the dents I mean, can you give me a hint, the name of the tut, or a link or something?

I would really appreciate that, as I keep on getting distracted into searching for it and it's taking my mind off the lighting effects I want to play around with. Lol!

edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - thank you. Well, dragons aren't my favourite pets either. If I could do as much of the shapes David's videos present, I had a bit more choice for my experiments. Yours look again great! Thank you also for your interest in the memos. I made them primarily for myself to spare me the time to watch the video again if I forgot one tiny thing, which happens too often.

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

Mermaid: very cool the pink is super.....

Fran: light on the inside is a neat idea...

Dave; I just love that polar bear he keeps getting cuter by the minute....

Horo: I like you dragon a lot different from the others....

Guss: the blue is awesome...

need serious help on this trying to get the skin to look better...suggestions anyone??? Thanks in advance Trish

mike_in_chair.jpg
    855 x 835 - 271K
    edited November 2013

@Horo, thanks very much for making the PDF Memos on Lighting available – that's very handy to have. And thanks for the Head's Up on the YouTubeDownloader as well, I'd forgotten about that, and now I have a reason to use it – downloading some of David's videos so I can watch them offline – I expect that'll free up more CPU power than watching them online would and my current render is at 4 %, and that much has taken the last... 5 hours.

Ah, you don't like blue eh. So what are your favourite colours then?
    I like the glass on the stanford dragon, the anaglyph effect does absolutely nothing for me, but then I have no glasses – or even sweetie wrappers! I prefered the caustics you did earlier. But that's just me. I like blue. Lol!

I really love those renders with the caustic effects. Spankin'!

@David,
    I enjoyed your 'Obscure Light' video, but I can't get my render to have that soft blue tone – it's mostly black and the cubes remain shiny like chrome. Now I don't have that Treppenhalle set – I'd like it but just can't. Pity 'cos I'd really like those cogs and gears.
    Horo has an image on his website that might be a lower res part of Treppenhalle which I made into an hrdi with HDRShop – and... well it's useable – but as I say I'm not getting anything like the same effect. I've tried other hdrs but still nothing like yours – not even close.

However, putting the Mobius Cube (hammered copper on ribbon, blue glowish on innards) into the scene with some other of your weird cube models that I made following your tuts – and one trying desperately to re-create the dented cube that I like so much (failed there!) – That Mobius thingie looked really good.
    So now I'm rendering just that thingie, at a much closer view. It's very, very slow...

Next I'll be trying the 'Obscure Glow' effect.... eventually.

@mermaid010
    I'm not a fan of pink but your 1st render of the Hexagon looking CubeThingie – boy, don't you wish David had given these things simple names!!? – the render of it looks really good, I like the blue reflections and glossyness you've got in it. The version – from a little further on in the video I see, gotta try that! – looks lovely, like a soft silver effect – I can just see that dangling from a girl's ear!

Thanks for the feedback, all. I'm having trouble picking out good textures/materials. Everything I seem to choose doesn't look good. :/ Guess that's part of the learning experience. :)
    /////
    Franontheedge: very nice work on the twisted cube.
    /////

What? Rubbish! That KnotBall of yours was lovely, I really liked the rainbow metal effect you got on that.
    I'm not sure what it was sitting on, sort of like a tangled mess of broken springs set in resin – lovely and grungy! I like grungy things.

Thanks for the comment, I think my cube could be better, but I'm working on that.

TheSavage64
    Loved that image of Peter, the pose is great and I especially liked the light and shadows on the snow, excellent!

@GussNemo
    Oh I really like that blueish metal effect you've got on that... thingie. It also looks really effective on the hexagonal tiles with the pale jeans coloured texture. Good choice.

@mermaid010 Coo! I love those - the bottom one especially makes me think of galvanised steel... only prettier. I've gotta have a go at making one of those, I have some nice interesting materials I could try on it... cor!
    Mutters to self 'Obscure Lighting using gossipping' thinks... hey! I've actually got that one!

@bullit35744
    Thanks but I think someone else thought of putting the light inside, didn't they? I do often do that though – maybe because of the stained glass lanterns I've been making recently – I'm always putting lights inside them. I have done it for some years now. Lights inside spaceships, and street lights and a crystal for a radio station's logo animated for their Online TV. I even put one inside an alien plant seed head once.
    Nice pose, sorry I can't help – I know nothing about Poser Figures... or DS ones either.

Post edited by franontheedge on
  • DangerladDangerlad Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Noodling about with the newest version of Wings3d (1.5.1) and decided to try out making a ported drilled torus. I opened up the dialog for torses and saw a new type of torus, a Spiral torus. So I decide to scrap the original idea and see what a Spiral torus looks like. I figured that I would try David's Chink Link video to see the outcome of the Chain. I choose a 36 section torus with 4 sides and proceeded on through the tutorial. It got a bit tough at the point where you need to select the edges for the link loops. Identical did not select everything because the sizes of the loops are so different from loop to loop. Then when I tried to bevel the edges for the links, it wouldn't let me do the Bevel. I ended up smoothing the torus twice, select the center edge of each loop manually (a bit time consuming), loops the edge and then switching to faces. That gave me the loops. I am attaching both the finished chain and the torus it was built from. Both of which were smoothed a couple more times and all the work was done.

There are no after effects, lens distortion, or post-work done to either picture.

Both pictures are light via TA Rendering 16 RPP with a MRD of 6. Scatter correction and boost lighting have also been engaged. I used one of Horo HDRIs which I downloaded from his website (Lacsouterrain_1280 to be exact). The materials on the torus and the chain are from the Treppenhall and Old Heating Room collection. I don't recall which is using what. The chain is using from the P41 set and the torus is using one from the P43 set (Horo and David I apologize for not remembering which is which). Then ground plain is a light rose grey (R198, G182, B186 diffuse color with 30% diffusion, 30% metallicity, and 30% reflection.

spiral_torus.jpg
    1050 x 700 - 733K
    Spiral_Torus_Chain.jpg
    1050 x 700 - 757K
    edited December 1969

What? Rubbish! That KnotBall of yours was lovely, I really liked the rainbow metal effect you got on that. I'm not sure what it was sitting on, sort of like a tangled mess of broken springs set in resin – lovely and grungy! I like grungy things."

Ok, ok....you talked me into it! ;) The texture on the knotball is one of the metals from David/Horo's Treppehalle collection. I don't know if this is how he made it, but it looks like he combined the rainbow texture he showed in this tut (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rN3MRh5hr8) with the pearlescent paint tut here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d85WNPzFrew. The floor texture comes with Bryce, but I can't remember which. I stumbled on it by accident.

Loving your most recent renders with the metal/glass objects. My fave is the second, but they're both very nice. Also like the light inside of the crystal-looking object. Very glowy!

@Dangerlad: Nice renders and shapes. The second is my favorite. The material looks like a fusion of burlap and metal.

@bullit: I don't know anything about skin other than mine is starting to wrinkle and get age spots. *rolls eyes*. I like the pose you've given to the character, however. Maybe one day I'll brave the DAZStudio waters again. My first two experiences a couple of years ago were not good. :)

@Guss: Great work on the shape and render. I've been trying to incorporate the hexagon flooring into one of my scenes and haven't felt my stuff looked good with it. Yours looks nice and very convincing. Be on the lookout for me using it soon. :D

@Horo: Absolute MAGIC! Fabulous! Thanks for sharing the links to the pdfs. I've visited your site numerous times and had downloaded some other pdfs, but wasn't aware of these.

@Mermaid: Your second is my favorite! (Seems like everybody's second one is my favorite....nothing like going back for seconds!) I like the texture.

@Dave: Peter looks very content with watching the fireworks from afar.

OK, so I was following this tut by David, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVe7iU69xEU, and I think I zigged, when I should have zagged. My render looked good, but it had a number of blown out pixels on the model. Tried a bunch of different that would resolve some, but make new ones. Decided not to put the render down and experiment.

I've been reading a bit on 3-point lighting and many articles talk about blue/orange lights to cool/warm the image. I decided to check out the skies and see if there's something I could use for an HDRI with those colors and I found "Multi-Colored Sunset" under the Sunrise Sunset category. I rotated it so the colors were vertical and used it as an HDRI. Learned a lot by my mistake so that's good.

Anyway, here are two renders (one dark, the other lighter) done in Regular mode, with a couple of radial lights. Both used the same settings. Render time was about 2 hours. The material on the dragon is "Zinc, rusty" from the Treppenhalle collection. The only thing I did to the material is lower the reflection amount. The dragon is sitting on the floor and not floating. I've keep thinking it's floating, but I've checked it a dozen times. :)

LightingExperiment5-RegularRenderMode.jpg
    800 x 800 - 484K
    LightingExperiment4-RegularRenderMode.jpg
    800 x 800 - 444K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Thanks guys. :)

More great renders from everyone, sorry I don't have much time to comment individually at the moment... But having to try and get ahead with my finances again so I can lay back for a few months so I'm quite busy.

Meanwhile, Peter has found something he's never come across before:

PeterSpiderALT.jpg
    450 x 650 - 202K
  • Jim_1831252Jim_1831252 Posts: 728
    edited December 1969

Great rendering going on here. I love that David's wings thingys have caught on around here. They make for nice viewing pieces for technical/experimental renders.

@Savage, nice work. I know what you mean about getting finances in order. I've had little time for dropping into my usual haunts for a casual perusal and chat. Damn economics why can't we just live in fantasy land where we can make art and pull render engines apart all day.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Horo: Thank you very much. I was a bit concerned about the lighting but seeing that render here I shouldn't have worried. Lighting often throws me for a loop.

@mermaid: Thanks. Those objects, and the results, are great. I watched the video, something I hadn't time before, and will watch it again with Wings open. I'm not sure about the part you see not smoothed. The entire object was smoothed twice, I think, so nothing should have been missed.

@Trish: Nice looking dude. Sorry I can help with the skin, but I believe David made a video about skin.

@franontheedge: Thanks much. The material on that object doesn't appear as metal in the material library, but more of a swirling pattern in a hazy blue. I discovered it looks like shiny metal on certain shapes and it's original appearance on other objects. Donna know why, but it sure looks neat when the metal look appears. As to the hexagon material for the ground, I agree it can't be used with everything.

@Dangerlad: Your recent noodles turned out well. I had the feeling the material on the second render was snake skin until I enlarged the image. Nice work.

@fencepost: Love your dragon renders, and the material you chose. IMHO, if you reduced the hexagon material, applied the ground material in your second render, you'd have a real snazzy image. If the hexagon material was small enough.

@Dave: Peter is a rather curious fellow isn't he? That's another lovely render.

edited December 1969

@Dangerlad - nice torii. The first one is very charming because it is irregular. This gives it a hand crafted appearance.

@fencepost52 - dragon renders looking good. Both seem to hit the ground, the shadows are usually a good indicator.

@Dave - great idea Peter looking at a spider, superbly done as always.

edited November 2013

Mikey is rendered in Bryce........guys

OHHHH peter get away from the spider......

Post edited by Trish on
    edited November 2013

The render finally finished. It took 22 hours 1 minute and 48 seconds for the Obscure Lighting render to finish.
    It's nice... but...

Previous to this render I did the same object nestled against a few more of David's video tut results, plus my awful attempt at David's nice dented cube - mine looks terrible compared to his - but I've had to guess how to make it because I can't find a tut for this shape. And it's awful, it doesn't look dented at all, it looks drilled, and I've no idea how to achieve that nice 'dented' look.

I'm not sure about this 'Obscure Lighting' method. The results are not as expected, a default gray mat with the slightest touch of reflection - looks like a highly polished chrome, not all that different to the hammered copper I put onto the outer loops of the twisted mobius thing with the blue thing inside it.

Lastly there's the OddBall with the woven appearance and the webbing. I gave the webbing a simple glass mat, and used the steel... hammered? strained? brushed? Oh, yes, 'Pitted Steel' metal on the outer parts with the 'ports' in it. All 3 images done in the same 'Obscure Lighting' method followed from David's video, but not using the 'treppenhalle HDR' 'cos I don't have that.

OddBallObscureLighting1.jpg
    1120 x 801 - 144K
    FunkyCubes6.jpg
    1120 x 801 - 167K
    FunkyCubes7.jpg
    1120 x 801 - 151K
    Post edited by franontheedge on
    edited December 1969

Beautiful Fran!!!!!

edited December 1969

Thanks Horo. The shadows kept throwing me off making it seem like it was just a titch above the infinite plane. I'm glad you didn't think so because I was fooled. :)

Thanks, Guss. Yeah I'll give that a try. I've fiddled with the scaling a bit and I think I can get something that looks pretty good.

Nice, Fran! I like the hammered textures on the first and last ones. But, I think my favorite overall is the first. Great job.

edited December 1969

Thanks everyone for your nice comments.

Trish – cool pose. One day I need to try Daz.

Dangerlad – nice shapes but I like the 2nd one, interesting what just doodling can produce.

Fencepost – the dragon renders are looking nice.

Dave – another cute Peter render

Guss – I guess the material or lighting you used gave the object an interesting effect.

Franontheedge – wow 22 hours for a render, all your renders are great, the last one looks familiar ;)

This discussion has been closed.