Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

sasja - like your action pose

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,327
    edited December 1969

Issmir said:
    chohole said:

That's a good pose you have got going alread, but just my thoughts. If you really study the pose of the original figure I think you will find she is not actually sitting. The angle of the tighs leads me to thing that she is actulls leaning back from the knees, without her umm situopon actually touching her shins. and her torso is slightly straighter than you have shown it.

Thanks for the comments Chohole and Jaderail! I've updated my pose slightly with Jaderail's feedback incorporated and I think it's better. I still haven't tackled the lower part of the body yet, but I totally agree... it's not quite right yet. I have to admit, I'm afraid of messing it up! :P But I guess that's what "save" is for :)

So inspired by the other folks in this thread! Sasje, your dancer pose ^^ is amazing!

I think it's pretty darn close to the reference image myself. If you feel it still needs some tweaking then by all means tweak it. But, keep in mind it doesn't have to be exact. Some positions are impossible to get with Gen4 and Genesis because of the rigging. I think it looks great. Now you just need to work out a proper background.

edited December 1969

ok don't be chicken - I show one more wip

1_upside_down_wip.jpg
    800 x 800 - 88K
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited July 2012

Great work here people. Persionaly I see nothing wrong with any of the last three poses.

I'm starting to wonder why people (me included) thought posing would be a tough contest. I'm seeing folks go Bam almost perfect the first time then Tweak perfect. They just make it look easy.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • Joe CotterJoe Cotter Posts: 3,259
    edited July 2012

Frank0314 said:
    Scott that is a fantastic start. I don't see hardly anything wrong with it. To me it looks like he might be a bit off balance. I think the left foot is turned in a bit to much, but this is just a great start. With a few minor tweaks it can be fabulous.

Don't listen to them about the feet Scott, they are perfect (just my opinion ofc ;) The character is supposed to be off balance, he is in the middle of a movement transition where he would be off balance. That is what gives energy to the pose. Both feet are perfect. The hands and expression is what I would concentrate on :)

Oh, also... if you have muscle morphs then adding dimension, especially to the legs would help sell the pose.

Btw, what makes this pose complicated I believe is that it is a transitional pose. People are used to resting or active poses, both of which are more applicable to general images. Transitional poses are somewhat sophisticated beasts which imply an immediate followup movement when used properly. They are harder to get the context correct along with the nuances of the pose.

Post edited by Joe Cotter on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    Frank0314 said:
    Scott that is a fantastic start. I don't see hardly anything wrong with it. To me it looks like he might be a bit off balance. I think the left foot is turned in a bit to much, but this is just a great start. With a few minor tweaks it can be fabulous.

Don't listen to them about the feet Scott, they are perfect (just my opinion ofc ;) The character is supposed to be off balance, he is in the middle of a movement transition where he would be off balance. That is what gives energy to the pose. Both feet are perfect. The hands and expression is what I would concentrate on :)

Oh, also... if you have muscle morphs then adding dimension, especially to the legs would help sell the pose.

Btw, what makes this pose complicated I believe is that it is a transitional pose. People are used to resting or active poses, both of which are more applicable to general images. Transitional poses are somewhat sophisticated beasts which imply an immediate followup movement when used properly. They are harder to get the context correct along with the nuances of the pose.
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone! It's hard to tell with the feet, especially because of the obstructed view in the ref. I'll keep playing with the pose and see what I can come up with. :)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Might sound silly, but sometimes, if you are a bit dubious about a pose, try doing something similar yourself, ans wee which is the most natural way to do it. I frquently try poses out like that, just to check.

• SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

Issmir and bigh thank you.:)

I fixed a few things

Lets_Dance_vernieuwd_verkl.jpg
    800 x 600 - 156K
    Hip_hop_dance_adult_verkl.jpg
    350 x 218 - 52K
  • WilmapWilmap Posts: 2,917
    edited December 1969

Here's another one I did. I can't get her hands down to grasp the bar.

balance_beam.jpg
    1600 x 1200 - 268K
    Balance.png
    800 x 640 - 314K
    edited December 1969

Whoops just noticed I've got her legs the wrong way round.

edited December 1969

Not certain how you would do it, but the hip are need to be more revolved backwards, if you see what I mean,

edited July 2012

Got the legs right this time.

balance_3.png
    800 x 640 - 310K
    Post edited by Wilmap on
    edited December 1969

Yay, thats great. A very difficut post to acheive. Well done.

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,327
    edited December 1969

Looks great Wilmap. Not seeing anything wrong with it.

edited December 1969

Wilmap That’s a difficult pose specially the arms. Good work :)

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited July 2012

No Wonder I never won a new users contest. Look at all the skill in this thread.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,308
    edited December 1969

Both the gymnast and the breakdancer show a lot of promise. Good work!

• squirrelvidssquirrelvids Posts: 11
    edited December 1969

Sasje said:
    Help! I’m confused I see double pictures with 2 different names.:gulp:

Oops! I posted while my husband was logged in on the Daz site and didn't notice I was on his account! Issmir is his screen name.

Sorry about the confusion! Issmir=Squirrelvids. :P

*embarrassed* Hope this doesn't disqualify me! ;)

• berriboyberriboy Posts: 171
    edited December 1969

I am working on this one for my second entry and have been looking at for so long even my glasses have gone crosseyed. Thought I would post what I have done hoping you can see the things I've missed.

july02_01.jpg
    757 x 795 - 149K
    boat_pose.jpg
    400 x 423 - 60K
  • AydenShadeAydenShade Posts: 10
    edited July 2012

My rough draft of my entry for the contest. Advice and comments welcome even if they seem rude.

wip2.png
    574 x 585 - 284K
    contest.jpg
    247 x 326 - 28K
    Post edited by AydenShade on
    edited December 1969

you both are doing very good - keep it up

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,814
    edited July 2012

Really wonderful job so far everyone! You all are doing an incredible job with this. Color me very jealous! I had problems with posing all the way up till probably a year ago and I've been around like 8 years now so really just an amazing job everyone!

Advice wise...most of the advice I would give on the last few, others have so I wont repeat those thoughts.

AydenShade: On yours you may want to move the figure a little bit as well as the leg and foot of the female dancer so that it is more firmly up on the upper thigh of the man and turned a bit like in the picture so she would have more stability. His knee may also need to come out a bit more to help achieve that as well as the other leg turned out a bit and the toe pointed in the opposite directions but that is the only thing I see that should be adjusted a bit unless you want to make the bends in the poses of both a bit more pronounced or stronger maybe but not sure that is necessary. You have a really lovely start going! Nicely done! :)

The pose itself is a very difficult one and you have taken on a big task with the Posing of both figures together :) Can't wait to see how it turns out! :)

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on
  • Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited July 2012

Here's my latest effort...I've sacrificed a little bit of accuracy in the left leg for improvements throughout the rest of the body. What do you think?

highking2b.jpg
    816 x 816 - 290K
    Post edited by Scott Livingston on
  • DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,814
    edited July 2012

I think it works...going with what someone mentioned last page, if you wanted him to be more mid turn, you could go for lifting that foot up off the ground a touch just to show more its mid motion possibly :) Would depend on if you want it more an extreme look back over your shoulder or a mid turn movement at this point :)

Post edited by DAZ_ann0314 on
    edited July 2012

version3 said:
    I am working on this one for my second entry and have been looking at for so long even my glasses have gone crosseyed. Thought I would post what I have done hoping you can see the things I've missed.

version3 this is perfect nothing to say.
    Maybe a nice background or something that’s all
    Post edited by Sasje on
    edited July 2012

My rough draft of my entry for the contest. Advice and comments welcome even if they seem rude.

AydenShade you’ve got nice ballet pose it’s a good start.:)
    Only the are few things are wrong.
    First always study you picture very closely.
    The lower body of your male is wrong, look at the picture you will see what I mean.
    The back arm I mean shoulder needs a little bit go down.
    Watch to your female and the female on the picture, the female on the picture is almost flying you’re female is standing.
    Keep going you’re doing fine. :)

I hope it don’t sound rude.

Post edited by Sasje on
  • AydenShadeAydenShade Posts: 10
    edited December 1969

I think I have most of the pose done.

wip3.png
    574 x 585 - 309K
    contest.jpg
    247 x 326 - 28K
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Might sound silly, but sometimes, if you are a bit dubious about a pose, try doing something similar yourself, ans wee which is the most natural way to do it. I frquently try poses out like that, just to check.

That's good advice except for two things, some poses require strength and/or dexterity that the person creating the pose doesn't possess and two, in the case of a transitional pose because the character is in the middle of a movement where they are off balance (definition of a transitional pose) one would fall down doing the pose.

edited December 1969

I think I have most of the pose done.

Getting there, but she's much more arched and his front foot is forward and turned more. The original image contains more energy in the pose.

edited December 1969

Gedd said:
    chohole said:

That's good advice except for two things, some poses require strength and/or dexterity that the person creating the pose doesn't possess and two, in the case of a transitional pose because the character is in the middle of a movement where they are off balance (definition of a transitional pose) one would fall down doing the pose.

I was talking about simple elements within the pose, such as feet postion etc, rather than a total action pose.