• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    edited July 2019
    Chohole said:

In Wales our bus shelters get used regularly

...sadly, the same here in the states.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    mwokee said:
    There is/was a real modern city bus. If it's still there then the artist used poor choices for keywords. Like I've said before, try searching on AIRPLANE and see what doesn't come up.

..well there were the Highway and City Bus by Nimos that was available here (for Bryce but they also had a .obj file) however those have since been vaulted. 

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,748

I make no apology for the bus stops, gates.. graveyards.. they always sell well.  Personally speaking too, I find them really interesting little pieces of architecture.

Bus stops sell well? I'm a bit surprised. I can see how the other things might sell well, but bus stops???

• Chohole said:
    sapat said:
    Chohole said:

The shear cheek of it.  They'll get fleeced for the fares.

I'll get my coat.

Well now, that is hysterical!! What a hoot.cheeky

You should see some of the traffic jams we get  

"Traffic Jellies" demand equal represenation!
    (Races home and renders jellyfish in traffic. Wait, that didn't happen. Stayed at work and tried to get on with it.)

• Gogger said:

https://www.daz3d.com/soviet-bus-stop

(I was actually born in the Soviet Union; can't say this looks especially authentic... granted, I'm Russian and there were way more republics to the USSR than Russia, so maybe it was a design common in Georgia...)

Whatever. I speak Russian (and read Cyrillic as a result). So I can't help but wonder why a single bus stop has a sign saying "busstops". Plural and without a space.

This must mean that a constant stream of bus stops will never gonna stop! 

Can you verify if it is customary for Russian signs to run the text right to the edge?  Normally there is a little bit of space between the edges of text and sign edges. If crowding the edges is a common thing there...

Absolutely not. The visual cortex functions do not depend on citizenship ;) Russian signs and other typographic objects function like any other in terms of padding, leading, kerning and tracking.

Moreover, as I wrote a few posts back, we do not advertise bus stops as "Bus Stops" in written form =D

Check out how a recent design looks... It's a trolleybus station, but the principles are the same. Google translate should help if you're curious about the text: https://varlamov.ru/1365033.html - they decided to include the name of the station now for in-city stops as well. In multiple places.

Here's a simpler typical one: https://m.polit.ru/media/photolib/2015/06/24/ostanov_1444641243.jpg

I have enough Photoshop-Foo to make the sign spacing change myself, but figured if I was PAYING for something, why should I have to 'correct' it?  If you could provide some kind of proper text maybe we could get the vendor to post an update. (I did this with a DZFire product once and they got it done really quick!  Proof that PAs do CARE!)  Mebbe we could crowd-source this product into a fairly realistic asset!  

edited July 2019
    Chohole said:
    sapat said:
    Chohole said:

I'll get my coat.

You should see some of the traffic jams we get  

...meanwhile in Wisconsin....

cows-road.jpg
    500 x 752 - 99K
    Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • JonnyRay said:

You have to admit Copenhagen wins for the best bus wrap graphic though!

ERMAGERD! Ja, jeg godt lide det!

(Translation: "I LOVE THIS!" - Not an actual translation. While my heritage is Danish, I do not currently speak it. However, any resemblance to actual Danish language is purely intentional.)

• I make no apology for the bus stops, gates.. graveyards.. they always sell well.  Personally speaking too, I find them really interesting little pieces of architecture.

Jack, I don't want to join a Bus Stop Cult or anything, but I actually get it.  The Bus Stop is a poetic little piece of stand-alone architecture that either cradles you in safety until you are whisked away, or receives and welcomes you as you are dropped off.  If it is architecturally interesting as well as functional, it really is a small wonder.

• WonderlandWonderland Posts: 6,697
    Chohole said:

I guess that is what is called “free range” lol

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited July 2019
    Chohole said:

I guess that is what is called “free range” lol

oh aye,   they range all over the place.   Can be fun driving, especially on the winding, rural, mountain roads.  

Post edited by Chohole on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050
    scorpio said:
    barbult said:
    maclean said:

I also made a bus stop and shelter about 10 years ago, but in my defence, it was just a couple of props in a pretty large Streets set.

Er.... Guilty, M'Lud! But I plead temporary insanity induced by too much time spent in 3d max!

Same here, although mine was basically a building on a street. (I thought it was quite funny putting a mortuary on the corner of Burke & Hare, but nobody else got the joke, lol)

I still don't get it. sad

Burke and Hare were notorious grave robbers of victorian Edinburgh, they supplied the bodies to the medical schools and later turned to murder to get more fresher bodies

Thanks. In the US, I didn't know about that.

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453
    edited July 2019

This is one of the more entertaining threads I've read in a while.  :)

Might I also add DAZ's obsession with satin and leather shaders, studio apartments that no one but CEOs and movie stars could ever afford, and what seems to be the same one-piece fantasy outfit with boots over and over for every generation.

And "cheap" hotel rooms that are way, WAY bigger than they would be in real life. One time, I got bumped into an Executive Suite at a hotel in Singapore. The bathroom there looked like several of the "ordinary" DAZ bathrooms...

Yes, bus stops generally only have a small sign on a pole with a graphic picture indicating a bus and the line number. That way, you can catch reliably the #42 bus to the Restaurant at the End of the Universe! Supposedly, in some South Pacific islands, they run the buses on diesel fuel made from coconut oil. The bus that takes you to the beach actually smells like suntan oil!

Post edited by SlimerJSpud on

..throw in a little pineapple and rum scent and it would make people thirsty for a piña colada.

• Has everyone else forgotten the bus stop that's been on the Daz free page for months? Years? (Or did I miss a mention?)

https://www.daz3d.com/city-bus-stop

• SlimerJSpudSlimerJSpud Posts: 1,453

Has everyone else forgotten the bus stop that's been on the Daz free page for months? Years? (Or did I miss a mention?)

It's in the OP's list. Everybody already has that one. Actually, it looks the best of the lot!

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Has everyone else forgotten the bus stop that's been on the Daz free page for months? Years? (Or did I miss a mention?)

It's in the OP's list. Everybody already has that one. Actually, it looks the best of the lot!

Yet no-one has ever used itdevil

• Has everyone else forgotten the bus stop that's been on the Daz free page for months? Years? (Or did I miss a mention?)

Yet no-one has ever used itdevil

Told you all I'd probably missed it. It does look nice. I have plans to use it...But I have lots of plans...

;)

• ANGELREAPER1972ANGELREAPER1972 Posts: 4,413

there's no Futurama style bus stops yet

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

I've used it here:

Litter Bug

• namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,040
    maclean said:

I also made a bus stop and shelter about 10 years ago, but in my defence, it was just a couple of props in a pretty large Streets set.

Er.... Guilty, M'Lud! But I plead temporary insanity induced by too much time spent in 3d max!

Same here, although mine was basically a building on a street. (I thought it was quite funny putting a mortuary on the corner of Burke & Hare, but nobody else got the joke, lol)

Well, there are some things you just look at a second time . . . and then carefully back away . . .cheeky

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750
    Dogz said:

Nice exterior, but the interior is very basic, interiors are probably slightly more useful than exteriors on something of that scale (since most renders tend to be figure-centric.)

Well, that's how buses are here in germany.. very basic interiors. Some - couple years ago - even only had hardplastic seats with no nice upholstery on them. Made riding with one sheer joy.

Though it's always nice to see things like "german bus" or "european appartement" being made, even though the names are a bit misleading... in my hometown we have buses from at least three different manufacturers, depending on when they entered service. And none of the different "european appartements/hotel rooms/whatever" ever looked like any appartement/hotel room I've seen around here laugh

Oh and another thing that fascinates PAs it seems it enormously large places, that would be impossible to be rendered, because one would have to set up about of a hundred Vickies to make them look "used", but being then unable to render the scene due to the computer going on strike because of all the geometry...

...this was a freebie I had to reskin.

bus stop pest.jpg
    900 x 900 - 520K
  • Strange VoyagerStrange Voyager Posts: 389
    edited July 2019

I love the bus stops, the bathrooms (especially the bathrooms, since you see more than one type in a town or even a mall), the pools, the showers, i13's retail and other sets, all of that. I don't want everyone in my universe in the same town. I love that I can pick one of each to make a set that belongs to a space. A lot of life happens in spaces that were previously underrepresented. For that matter I even like the temples, and not just for NMIATWAS. :D

Post edited by Strange Voyager on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,714
    Chohole said:
    sapat said:
    Chohole said:

I'll get my coat.

Yea, never ask a sheep on a road about anything. They're all lying!

• glossedsfmglossedsfm Posts: 329

Should have a contest where we recreate famous moments in history, a scene from a movie or book or even something from our imagination...but the setting has to be a bus stop.  Get some fantasy elf characters, some medieval swords, a troll character and have them fighting over a bus stop.  Have soldier characters from WW2, a sci-fi soldier, an ancient Roman soldier all sitting and waiting to be picked up at a bus stop and an armored infantry carrier rolling up to give them all a ride.  Have a bunch of scantily clad male and female characters doing overly-erotic poses around and on top of a bus stop. 

• Philippi_ChildPhilippi_Child Posts: 648
    edited July 2019

Old Bus

Post edited by Philippi_Child on
  • wscottartwscottart Posts: 420

What? No bus stop with the "Lime". hmmmm

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    Gogger said:
    Gogger said:

https://www.daz3d.com/soviet-bus-stop

(I was actually born in the Soviet Union; can't say this looks especially authentic... granted, I'm Russian and there were way more republics to the USSR than Russia, so maybe it was a design common in Georgia...)

Whatever. I speak Russian (and read Cyrillic as a result). So I can't help but wonder why a single bus stop has a sign saying "busstops". Plural and without a space.

This must mean that a constant stream of bus stops will never gonna stop! 

Can you verify if it is customary for Russian signs to run the text right to the edge?  Normally there is a little bit of space between the edges of text and sign edges. If crowding the edges is a common thing there...

Absolutely not. The visual cortex functions do not depend on citizenship ;) Russian signs and other typographic objects function like any other in terms of padding, leading, kerning and tracking.

Moreover, as I wrote a few posts back, we do not advertise bus stops as "Bus Stops" in written form =D

Check out how a recent design looks... It's a trolleybus station, but the principles are the same. Google translate should help if you're curious about the text: https://varlamov.ru/1365033.html - they decided to include the name of the station now for in-city stops as well. In multiple places.

Here's a simpler typical one: https://m.polit.ru/media/photolib/2015/06/24/ostanov_1444641243.jpg

I have enough Photoshop-Foo to make the sign spacing change myself, but figured if I was PAYING for something, why should I have to 'correct' it?  If you could provide some kind of proper text maybe we could get the vendor to post an update. (I did this with a DZFire product once and they got it done really quick!  Proof that PAs do CARE!)  Mebbe we could crowd-source this product into a fairly realistic asset!  

I guess the sign could say "Красная Площадь" (Red Square) - there is actually at least one "Red Square" bus stop here in Moscow. This particular bus stop doesn't look like your typical Moscow bus stop, but since most people outside the former USSR wouldn't really know that... at least it would have proper Russian text.

Come to think of it, if we were to crowdsource it, there must be people on the forums who could provide some iconic Ukrainian bus stop names. Or maybe even Georgian and Armenian.