DAZ's Fascination with Bus Stops

Comments

• cherpenbeckcherpenbeck Posts: 1,409

All these bus stops - give them decent iron bars, and you can use them as collecting cells for zombies.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,942

Why am I imagining a plaque on the desk of DAZ's CEO saying, "The bus stops here"? cheeky

• Chohole said:

In Wales our bus shelters get used regularly

The shear cheek of it.  They'll get fleeced for the fares.

I'll get my coat.

• memcneil70memcneil70 Posts: 3,670

In defense of bus stops.

I have used them in a number of renders. They are low in RAM usage. Allow for combining various characters by ages, sexes, economic levels, and ethnicities together that might otherwise not come near one another. Depending on the clothes selected, your scenery can be adjusted. Quite useful for a fast, character driven render.

My thanks to all those who take the time to create them and their texture sets. 

And if we need buses, we also need taxis, Ubers and Lyfts.

Mary

• SummerhorseSummerhorse Posts: 684

We have some pretty cool bus stops in the phoenix area:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbus.jpg
    480 x 640 - 195K
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzbus2.png
    600 x 338 - 379K
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,704

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,139

it used to be the Jack Tomalin gates cheeky

Sounds like someone wants some more :)

Bwhahahahahahahahaha 

NO MORE WIRE GATES CHRISTINE!  

Yes, also plenty of "puddles" props to go with the sealed toilets.

It's like a bad game of the Sims.

Just tint them yellow and blame it on the boys!  Bad aim.  At a gym I used to go to there was a sign in the bathroom.... "If the bat isn't long enough step up to the plate"  cheeky

You wait ages for a bus stop, then two come along together.

RIGHT?  

I'm a bus commuter person so I know all about that!  LOL 

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
    Havos said:

but at least those bathrooms are spacious :) 

Cybersox said:
    AllenArt said:

Surpassed only by their fascination for bathrooms....lol.

Laurie

Many of which have toilets with their lids fused on. @-@ 

Indeed they are, many are big enough to fit one or more bus stops.

New image idea:

Confused bus driver scratching his head and looking at a bus stop in the middle of a marble bathroom. In the background is someone doing a "pee pee dance" pose looking frustrated at the toilet that won't open.

I love the Hollies!  Good one!  

PS... we need some American busses!  Just saying!  LOL 

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438
    maclean said:

I also made a bus stop and shelter about 10 years ago, but in my defence, it was just a couple of props in a pretty large Streets set.

Er.... Guilty, M'Lud! But I plead temporary insanity induced by too much time spent in 3d max!

Same here, although mine was basically a building on a street. (I thought it was quite funny putting a mortuary on the corner of Burke & Hare, but nobody else got the joke, lol)

Heh! I would have gotten that one.

I occasionally put oddball references in products (not to mention, downright macabre). Offhand, the only one I can remember from Streets was the Butcher's - R.P. Mc Murphy - Jack Nicolson's character in Cuckoo's Nest, but of course, I was thinking of him in Shining.

Yeah, I know... a bit obscure, but it amused me.

• I know you're talking buses but  also see a flood of apartments too. No buses here just pick-up trucks, distilleries, cornhole, horses and basketball.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    maclean said:

I also made a bus stop and shelter about 10 years ago, but in my defence, it was just a couple of props in a pretty large Streets set.

Er.... Guilty, M'Lud! But I plead temporary insanity induced by too much time spent in 3d max!

Same here, although mine was basically a building on a street. (I thought it was quite funny putting a mortuary on the corner of Burke & Hare, but nobody else got the joke, lol)

I get it ;).

Laurie

• IvyIvy Posts: 7,124

How about the obsession with so many pretty little women & womens clothing, and accessories.. Poor guys left standing in their underwear most of the time.

There is no "Man love" here for sure crying

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,586
    Ivy said:

How about the obsession with so many pretty little women & womens clothing, and accessories.. Poor guys left standing in their underwear most of the time.

There is no "Man love" here for sure crying

Or love of lovely big women?   Not just the pretty little women!  We got George but where is the G8F version?

• sapatsapat Posts: 1,735
    Chohole said:

I'll get my coat.

Well now, that is hysterical!! What a hoot.cheeky

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited July 2019
    sapat said:
    Chohole said:

I'll get my coat.

Well now, that is hysterical!! What a hoot.cheeky

You should see some of the traffic jams we get  

Post edited by Chohole on
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,890

We could always use yet another beach. 

https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/2019/07/dnr-monitoring-beach-going-deer-considering-tranquilizer-possibility.html

Alligators follow people around in tourist locations in Florida too for more beach ideals.

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933

Wouldn't the correct sign read "автобусная остановка"? The republics of the Soviet Union did some "interesting" architectural experiments, mostly on their monuments. The Soviets rebuilt downtown Yerevan in Armenia using rose colored tuff, a volcanic stone, because they wanted a pink city!

Technically yes, "автобусная остановка" would be correct, but I have never seen anything like that spelled out here in Russia, real life or movies. We use a "bus stop" pictorial traffic sign nearby. Not words :)

If the stop is in a city, it has a sign with the bus route numbers that stop there. If it's outside a city, there will often be the name of the settlement you're arriving at.

I think Soviet Bus Stops were a sort of mini art form in themselves, a way in which the architects could be imaginative and whacky without ruffling feathers:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Soviet-Bus-Stops-Christopher-Herwig/dp/099319110X/

So he travelled all the republics but Russia. Makes sense. ...if you've ever been to Moscow, you must have seen that architects here have always been whacky.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

What is it with DAZ's ongoing obsession with bus stops?

All these bus stops, but rather a dearth of busses to travel to them in. There's a toon one, two vintage ones, a couple of weird ones and a curious one, but no normal modern bus.

Oh well, at least we've got plenty of places to wait for one.

No doubt there'll be three in store soon.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232

Image result for buses

Hold on — that's not what the catbus in My Neighbor Totoro is supposed to look like...  

• Cayman StudiosCayman Studios Posts: 1,130

Wouldn't the correct sign read "автобусная остановка"? The republics of the Soviet Union did some "interesting" architectural experiments, mostly on their monuments. The Soviets rebuilt downtown Yerevan in Armenia using rose colored tuff, a volcanic stone, because they wanted a pink city!

Technically yes, "автобусная остановка" would be correct, but I have never seen anything like that spelled out here in Russia, real life or movies. We use a "bus stop" pictorial traffic sign nearby. Not words :)

If the stop is in a city, it has a sign with the bus route numbers that stop there. If it's outside a city, there will often be the name of the settlement you're arriving at.

I think Soviet Bus Stops were a sort of mini art form in themselves, a way in which the architects could be imaginative and whacky without ruffling feathers:

So he travelled all the republics but Russia. Makes sense. ...if you've ever been to Moscow, you must have seen that architects here have always been whacky.

It looks like Volume 2 has the Russian bus stops:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Soviet-Bus-Stops-II-2/dp/0993191185/

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
    edited July 2019

You have to admit Copenhagen wins for the best bus wrap graphic though!

Post edited by JonnyRay on

It looks like Volume 2 has the Russian bus stops:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Soviet-Bus-Stops-II-2/dp/0993191185/

They probably make up only a small part as compared to other countries in this volume :) I imagine Ukraine must have some amazing ones. There is so many Ukrainian artists even in the DAZ store, let alone Rendo; it's a country of creative folks.

• goggerfett@gmail.com[email protected] Posts: 2,284
    edited July 2019

https://www.daz3d.com/soviet-bus-stop

(I was actually born in the Soviet Union; can't say this looks especially authentic... granted, I'm Russian and there were way more republics to the USSR than Russia, so maybe it was a design common in Georgia...)

Whatever. I speak Russian (and read Cyrillic as a result). So I can't help but wonder why a single bus stop has a sign saying "busstops". Plural and without a space.

This must mean that a constant stream of bus stops will never gonna stop! 

Can you verify if it is customary for Russian signs to run the text right to the edge?  Normally there is a little bit of space between the edges of text and sign edges. If crowding the edges is a common thing there, then I will retract my cranky old fart complaint.  (Other than that issue, I like the model well enough!)

soviet-bus-stop-00-main-daz3d.jpg
    960 x 1248 - 237K
    Post edited by [email protected] on
    Gogger said:

https://www.daz3d.com/soviet-bus-stop

(I was actually born in the Soviet Union; can't say this looks especially authentic... granted, I'm Russian and there were way more republics to the USSR than Russia, so maybe it was a design common in Georgia...)

Whatever. I speak Russian (and read Cyrillic as a result). So I can't help but wonder why a single bus stop has a sign saying "busstops". Plural and without a space.

This must mean that a constant stream of bus stops will never gonna stop! 

Can you verify if it is customary for Russian signs to run the text right to the edge?  Normally there is a little bit of space between the edges of text and sign edges. If crowding the edges is a common thing there...

Absolutely not. The visual cortex functions do not depend on citizenship ;) Russian signs and other typographic objects function like any other in terms of padding, leading, kerning and tracking.

Moreover, as I wrote a few posts back, we do not advertise bus stops as "Bus Stops" in written form =D

Check out how a recent design looks... It's a trolleybus station, but the principles are the same. Google translate should help if you're curious about the text: https://varlamov.ru/1365033.html - they decided to include the name of the station now for in-city stops as well. In multiple places.

Here's a simpler typical one: https://m.polit.ru/media/photolib/2015/06/24/ostanov_1444641243.jpg

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,501
    Havos said:

but at least those bathrooms are spacious :) 

Cybersox said:
    AllenArt said:

Surpassed only by their fascination for bathrooms....lol.

Laurie

Many of which have toilets with their lids fused on. @-@ 

Indeed they are, many are big enough to fit one or more bus stops.

...yes

I'm old enough to remember when Greyhound buses and Trailways buses actually had bus stops near the small town I lived in, usually at the cheapest national chain hotel in town. It was only about a 700 mile one way ticket a couple of times but it was the only affordable way to travel a long distance if you didn't have a car. 700 miles took 2 days to travel and after 2 days they are more uncomfortable than a plane flight. Cost was almost $200 if I remember right and that was about 40 years ago.

...loved riding those "Scenicurisers™" sitting in the front row on the upper deck.

caravelle said:

There is a German bus at least: https://sharecg.com/v/72142/gallery/11/Poser/Linienbus

Made by mausel; he's excellent.

...indeed, reskinned it and used it in this image.

-bus stop 1960s photo.jpg
    1500 x 1125 - 2M