DAZ's Fascination with Bus Stops

Comments

• Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,120

it used to be the Jack Tomalin gates cheeky

Sounds like someone wants some more :)

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,724

https://www.daz3d.com/soviet-bus-stop

(I was actually born in the Soviet Union; can't say this looks especially authentic... granted, I'm Russian and there were way more republics to the USSR than Russia, so maybe it was a design common in Georgia...)

Whatever. I speak Russian (and read Cyrillic as a result). So I can't help but wonder why a single bus stop has a sign saying "busstops". Plural and without a space.

This must mean that a constant stream of bus stops will never gonna stop! 

Wouldn't the correct sign read "автобусная остановка"? The republics of the Soviet Union did some "interesting" architectural experiments, mostly on their monuments. The Soviets rebuilt downtown Yerevan in Armenia using rose colored tuff, a volcanic stone, because they wanted a pink city!

Well Russian architecture has always been quite colorful:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=russian+buildings&t=h_&iar=images&iax=images&ia=images

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926

I'm old enough to remember when Greyhound buses and Trailways buses actually had bus stops near the small town I lived in, usually at the cheapest national chain hotel in town. It was only about a 700 mile one way ticket a couple of times but it was the only affordable way to travel a long distance if you didn't have a car. 700 miles took 2 days to travel and after 2 days they are more uncomfortable than a plane flight. Cost was almost $200 if I remember right and that was about 40 years ago.

• StonemasonStonemason Posts: 1,160

but at least those bathrooms are spacious :) 

Cybersox said:
    AllenArt said:

Surpassed only by their fascination for bathrooms....lol.

Laurie

Many of which have toilets with their lids fused on. @-@ 

• Yes, also plenty of "puddles" props to go with the sealed toilets.

It's like a bad game of the Sims.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,305

but at least those bathrooms are spacious :) 

Cybersox said:
    AllenArt said:

Surpassed only by their fascination for bathrooms....lol.

Laurie

Many of which have toilets with their lids fused on. @-@ 

Indeed they are, many are big enough to fit one or more bus stops.

• Actually in the U.S. for Intercity travel having bus stops but no busses is pretty authentic...

• DogzDogz Posts: 896
    edited July 2019

Haha^

Seriously though I agree, for the amount of bus stops There is a very strange lack of a relatable American or Eurpopean style moden Transit Buses. There are some nice models around the web on squid and what have you, (few have detailed interiors.)  Aside from the Routemaster here I've not seen anything too hot in the DS./ Poser market.

Might be something I can look at over the summer break since im in the mood for doing some more propsets.

A bendy/Articulated bus might be an interesting rigging challenge for me :) Now that ive said that out loud someone will proabably beat me to the punch.... often the way lol.

Post edited by Dogz on
  • Cayman StudiosCayman Studios Posts: 1,131

https://www.daz3d.com/soviet-bus-stop

(I was actually born in the Soviet Union; can't say this looks especially authentic... granted, I'm Russian and there were way more republics to the USSR than Russia, so maybe it was a design common in Georgia...)

Whatever. I speak Russian (and read Cyrillic as a result). So I can't help but wonder why a single bus stop has a sign saying "busstops". Plural and without a space.

This must mean that a constant stream of bus stops will never gonna stop! 

I think Soviet Bus Stops were a sort of mini art form in themselves, a way in which the architects could be imaginative and whacky without ruffling feathers:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Soviet-Bus-Stops-Christopher-Herwig/dp/099319110X/

• caravellecaravelle Posts: 2,312

There is a German bus at least: https://sharecg.com/v/72142/gallery/11/Poser/Linienbus

Made by mausel; he's excellent.

• DogzDogz Posts: 896
    edited July 2019

Nice exterior, but the interior is very basic, interiors are probably slightly more useful than exteriors on something of that scale (since most renders tend to be figure-centric.)

Post edited by Dogz on
  • WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,799
    Dogz said:

Haha^

Seriously though I agree, for the amount of bus stops There is a very strange lack of a relatable American or Eurpopean style moden Transit Buses. There are some nice models around the web on squid and what have you, (few have detailed interiors.)  Aside from the Routemaster here I've not seen anything too hot in the DS./ Poser market.

Might be something I can look at over the summer break since im in the mood for doing some more propsets.

A bendy/Articulated bus might be an interesting rigging challenge for me :) Now that ive said that out loud someone will proabably beat me to the punch.... often the way lol.

I guess a bus is not too different to a train and you make great trains yes

• MunemanMuneman Posts: 218
    edited July 2019
    The lack of buses is kind of a pain. I bought one at Renderosity that was nice on the outside but I had to use Geometry Editor to strip the inside because it was designed to accommodate people without any feet.
    Post edited by Muneman on
  • macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438

I also made a bus stop and shelter about 10 years ago, but in my defence, it was just a couple of props in a pretty large Streets set.

Er.... Guilty, M'Lud! But I plead temporary insanity induced by too much time spent in 3d max!

• Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,120

I make no apology for the bus stops, gates.. graveyards.. they always sell well.  Personally speaking too, I find them really interesting little pieces of architecture.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795
    maclean said:

I also made a bus stop and shelter about 10 years ago, but in my defence, it was just a couple of props in a pretty large Streets set.

Er.... Guilty, M'Lud! But I plead temporary insanity induced by too much time spent in 3d max!

For atonement now you have to make a bus, I mean, you can probably spend to much time in 3d max with that as well ;)

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    maclean said:

Same here, although mine was basically a building on a street. (I thought it was quite funny putting a mortuary on the corner of Burke & Hare, but nobody else got the joke, lol)

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926

This is one of the more entertaining threads I've read in a while.  :)

Might I also add DAZ's obsession with satin and leather shaders, studio apartments that no one but CEOs and movie stars could ever afford, and what seems to be the same one-piece fantasy outfit with boots over and over for every generation.

Yeah, I was planning on collecting all the DAZ Originals / PC+ cloth material sets but after so many leather, silk, satin and generally 'shiny' cloth material sets I got the ideal I want want cloth material sets tat are actually new, complex, and not available many multiples of times already.

• You wait ages for a bus stop, then two come along together.

• ANGELREAPER1972ANGELREAPER1972 Posts: 4,413

Image result for buses

Image result for buses

Gotta catch them all

• ANGELREAPER1972ANGELREAPER1972 Posts: 4,413

bus shelters are pretty rare here got some down town but mostly it's just a street sign like this

Image result for buses tasmania

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited July 2019

In Wales our bus shelters get used regularly

Capture bustop.JPG
    904 x 580 - 98K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • mwokeemwokee Posts: 1,275
    There is/was a real modern city bus. If it's still there then the artist used poor choices for keywords. Like I've said before, try searching on AIRPLANE and see what doesn't come up.
    edited July 2019
    mwokee said:
    There is/was a real modern city bus. If it's still there then the artist used poor choices for keywords. Like I've said before, try searching on AIRPLANE and see what doesn't come up.

I actually think I have at least one bus from either here or Renderosity but sadly not on my computer to look

library search only shows weird ones like Maxis

I do have several double decker ones and a coach

were some by Nimos thought I had but apparently not in any case no longer in store

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Night Owl 3DNight Owl 3D Posts: 113

Let's not forget what the Hollies had to say about bus stops.  smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3XnYpGY5Z8

can dance by them too

....but I think the driver might keep going devil

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,133
    maclean said:

Same here, although mine was basically a building on a street. (I thought it was quite funny putting a mortuary on the corner of Burke & Hare, but nobody else got the joke, lol)

I still don't get it. sad

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,312
    barbult said:
    maclean said:

I still don't get it. sad

Burke and Hare were notorious grave robbers of victorian Edinburgh, they supplied the bodies to the medical schools and later turned to murder to get more fresher bodies