Terrain Editor and Heightmap Generators for Bryce

Comments

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,956

Wow Slepalex great examples thanks for sharing, The Paint Box and the Candles on the table are to outstanding renders, awesome lighting and setups. smileyyes

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069

Slepalex - thank you for the DTE/TE examples. Beautiful example renders.

• Slepalex - Exceptionally amazing terrains. The Paintbox and Candles image rocks. Thanks for posting the examples of images and settings.

edited June 2019

Deleted - wrong topic.

Post edited by Horo on
  • SlepalexSlepalex Posts: 911
    edited June 2019

Just a sketch. The process is somewhat tedious, but this is an option. I spent a couple of hours.
    So.
    1. Take the primitive "Six Sided Column / Corner Aligned". We clone it (Ctrl + I), duplicate the clone (Alt + I), place it in a certain order and change the height.
    2. Make a render from the top view with "Altitude Mask" and use this image as a height map for three or four terrains with different heights of Y.
    3. Add the surface of water from terrain. Done!
    For this purpose you can take any primitive.

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 56K
    2.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 69K
    3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 219K
    Post edited by Slepalex on
  • Tim82Tim82 Posts: 858
    edited June 2019

that looked like fun so i had a go :D

Hex_Terrain.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 1M
    Post edited by Tim82 on
    edited June 2019

Slepalex - good idea, your example render looks very good.

Tim - very nicely done.

My example is quite crappy. I created a brush and painted directly on the TE. You can render the altitude mask, export the render as BMP and then Add it to the Brushes. Make sure the "ground" in the altitude mask is fully black. If not, the brush will have a "foot".

BrushTest

By the way - a brush can also be greyscale, not only black-white. However, if you move the brush, a single colour line is drawn. But if you just click, without moving the brush, you get grey scale.

MulTerr
    In the example, at right, the brush was moved and the brightest part of the brush picture is used to draw.

This is an undocumented feature. During the Steering Commettee we asked for greyscale brushes, not only black/white, but it was decided not to include such an option. But we got it! Just don't move, only click.

BrushTest.jpg
    800 x 500 - 83K
    MulTerr.jpg
    800 x 533 - 105K
    Post edited by Horo on

@Horo, thanks....mine was a bit cheaty, i just modeled a hex in blender and particle instanced it then exported the object, it was very low poly so i could get away with quite a few objects...about 2000 roughly i think!

Horo said:

Slepalex - good idea, your example render looks very good.

Tim - very nicely done.

My example is quite crappy. I created a brush and painted directly on the TE. You can render the altitude mask, export the render as BMP and then Add it to the Brushes. Make sure the "ground" in the altitude mask is fully black. If not, the brush will have a "foot".

In order for the "ground" in the height map to be absolutely black, you need to delete the "Plane" or make it hidden.

Tim82 said:

@Horo, thanks....mine was a bit cheaty, i just modeled a hex in blender and particle instanced it then exported the object, it was very low poly so i could get away with quite a few objects...about 2000 roughly i think!

Yes ... It turned out that in Bryce it is much easier to do this and you do not need to scratch your left ear with your right hand.smiley

I remember the black and white brush in Bryce 5. However, Bryce 7 I have added grayscale brush into a custom library and I have all turned out! In particular, you can add any format, BMP, JPG, etc.

@Slepalex, no it was much easier to do in blender...it took me less than 3 minutes to model, setup, convert and export ;)

Very nice examples from Slepalex, Tim and Horo. I'm still playing in the DTE since Slepalex's last examples.

Tim82 said:

@Slepalex, no it was much easier to do in blender...it took me less than 3 minutes to model, setup, convert and export ;)

That's not the point. How many 2000 objects from Blender weigh in Bryce? 2 tons. How many 2000 clones of primitive weight in Bryce? 2 grams.

@Slepalex, the export file size was 1.8mb :) ...that will not hurt bryce at all

• Slepalex, Tim82, and Horo; Exceptional work! It's great to see different creative approaches and get amazing results across the board. Nicely done. 

edited July 2019

I gave this a try too, not a very realistic landscape, but fun to do. The Clouds are from David's Cloudspace 5 pack

terrain-ex-6sidedprim.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 397K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on

@mermaid010, nice looking scene, great work :)

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited July 2019

Wow, some great DTE experiments...and the resultant works by you all are very impressive - all they're short is a giant (aka: the 'Giant's Causeway'). It's an extraordinary feature, but I've never seen the 'Fingal's Cave' in Scotland (link is to Wikipedia).'

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited July 2019

Slepalex - yes, you're right, no ground means "infinite" far away and hence black.

mermaid - thank you. Hey! great example. 

Eugenius - thank you.

Jay - thanks, here's one for your goggles.

The terrain (right) was made as a texture in the DTE, the left one is a copy inverted in the TE and mirrored. The same texture (with some colours) was used as material (parametric, size 20 to match) and as bump on the ground plane. Lit by a parallel light from above, an uniform white HDRI and the sun (mostly for the specular on the ground).

Gadget MoBo

For the anaglyph, the back of the terrains rest on the ground but the front is tilted to be above the ground.

Gadget MoBo Anaglyph

GadgetMoBo.jpg
    1200 x 570 - 239K
    GadgetMoBoAna.jpg
    1200 x 570 - 253K
    Post edited by Horo on

Tim - thanks

Horo - thanks, very elaborate, complex render, the anaglyph is awesome.

mermaid - thank you. Looks elaborate but it was simple, thanks to the DTE that did most of the work. Getting the camera angle and the terrains good for the anaglyph took quite a bit of trial and error.

I defintely have to learn more about the DTE...as it really looks like a powerful way to simplify dtm-like effects. I kinda experiment more in adding componants into a render, move them here and there, etc, and while it is time-consuming, the results aren't always disappointing, and feel like I have more control.

Jay

edited July 2019

Jay - the DTE is the base of Bryce, everything else came later. I assembled the 4 hours of 17 DTE videos by David Brinnen featured on our Mentoring DVD into a (free) PDF document with 84 pages, 888 pictures, 23 MB, available on my website Bryce & 3D CG Documents > Mine > Material > DTE (on top of page).

As a base, I used the installed material Alien Rocks (Installed > Rocks > line 1 column 8) but only used component 1 and set the frequency to 250 in the DTE. This texture was used as terrain in the TE, once as 1024 and trice as 512 put together in a fading mirror box. For the material, I used the same texture with colours in Ch-A and another textures in Ch-B and yet another in Ch-C to mix them.

Sheltered Planting

ShelteredPlanting.jpg
    1200 x 795 - 198K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited July 2019

That's amazing, Horo, and will definetely avail of the free PDF you mention. As we cocacally say here, 'thanks-a-mil' (thanks a million yes).

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on

Awesome render Horo, I've being playing in the DTE this weekend, and got some nice results, but I'm trying to workout the fading mirror box part.smiley

Jay - hope it helps ... wink

mermaid - thank you.

edited July 2019

Two examples of terrains using Horo’s and Slepalex examples

dte-alienrockex.jpg
    900 x 596 - 469K
    dte-ex2-horo-slepalex.jpg
    1000 x 662 - 490K
    Post edited by mermaid010 on