Contest~~ Because I Said So! ~~ Featuring GypsyAngel ~~July 2019

NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
edited August 2019 in Art Studio

Please put your entries in the Entries Thread

The Because I Said So! Contest features "everyday" statements which are then rendered with the artists' translation, with the emphasis on humor. Our artists are indeed creative- winners are selected by popular vote and you'll have difficult decisions to make.  We'd like you to come join the fun!  This is the discussion/questions, comments thread. When you are ready to post your entries:
 POST YOUR ENTRIES HERE. 

***************************************************************************************************************

VOTING ENDED SATURDAY AUGUST 10th, midnight Daz time.   Here are the winners!

What are you voting for? That's up to you. You may like the story behind the render and the render, you may like the artistry used, or you may like the humor. It's up to you to decide what is memorable to you and also did GypsyAngel's products justice. 

The way it works- Please vote for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th places. First place earns 6 points, second earns 4 points, third place earns 2 points, and 4th place earns 1 point.

To be eligible for prizes, participants MUST vote. You will vote first place for yourself.
If you are a participant with multiple entries, ONLY VOTE FOR ONE OF YOURS (1st place) and then chose 2nd, 3rd, and 4th from other people's entries. I will manually allot only 2 points (instead of 4) to the second place choice of multiple entry voters, as it's not fair for them to have to give someone a 4 point edge over their own second render. 

*******************************************************************************************************************

This is a special edition of the Because I Said So!  to showcase the products from a wonderful vendor, GypsyAngel. I'd like to encourage you to purchase a character you don't have, or use ones you currently do have,  and participate!  It's important to spread the word on this, please. Here's a link to GypsyAngel's GoFundMe which will explain.  She read the statements below and can hardly wait to see what people come up with, she said they made her laugh!

Chohole donated $19 so we could add to 4th-6th and create two more winners with a 6th and 7th place. Thank so much Chohole!

The prizes are:
First Place $20.00
Second: $15.00
Third: $10.00
Fourth  $5.00  Is now $8  (Chohole added $3)
Fifth: $5.00      Is now $8  (Chohole added $3)
Sixth: $5.00      Is now $8  (Chohole added $3)
Seventh: $5.00  (Chohole)
Eighth:  $5.00    (Chohole)

I'd ask that forum members NOT donate, and perhaps purchase GypsyAngel products instead to use in the contest. (You do NOT have to purchase something new, you CAN use what you already own.)  
There must be a minimum of five people participating, or the prizes become 15/10/8/8  (Edit- We had 19 entries!) 

This contest starts Monday, July 1st 2019 and ends the last day of July,  Wednesday, July 31st, midnight DAZ time, (click to see Mountain time clock). Voting will be the first week of August through the 7th and ending exactly at midnight, again Daz time. Confidential voting determines the winners.  All registered forum members can vote. To be considered for a prize, the contest participants MUST VOTE, and SHOULD vote once for themselves. (Obviously,  First Place. Your votes are really determining the other places, as everyone is cancelling out others first place vote by voting for themself. The voting will be set up so you must vote for all places. If there are only five people participating, you will vote for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th place. It doesn't matter how many entries you submit, you only vote ONCE for yourself.) 

Read the statement(s) provided and render these humorously.   

You may submit up to eight entries. You may render the same statement three times or less. NOTE- these do NOT have to be making-characters related. You can do outlandish things and simply attribute your wonderful whackiness to GypsyAngel. :)  As always, keep it family friendly, FUNNY, and not offensive. 

"Of course I can do that. I'm GypsyAngel!"  

"Hmmm... GypsyAngel was definitely here."  

"Ask GypsyAngel. She'd know. And that's NOT a good thing." 

"GypsyAngel owns this?" 

"Well, we all knew GypsyAngel is creative." 

"GypsyAngel sure has a sense of humor."

"GypsyAngel will LOVE this!" 

"GypsyAngel? Nope. Haven't seen her. " 

"GypsyAngel planned this vacation?"

Here are the guidelines.  (Format is shown after this, but please READ this so you will see the limits/sizes/etc.)

1. Maximum 8 entries. You must be logged in and use your registered account for the forums. (No guest/anonymous entries.)  Deadlines are strictly enforced when receiving entries- no exceptions. Entries must be in the ENTRIES thread to compete for the random drawing prize.

2. Images must be .jpg or .png format, new, and follow the TOS. If possible, please  embed in the post. Yes, you may post the images elsewhere once they have been posted here.  See the bottom of the post for how to embed images. The minimum size for height and width is 800 pixels. You can do either portrait or landscape, and use any combination of dimensions as long as each of the sides is 800 pixels.   (Examples: 800 x 1100, 1100 x 800,  1200 x 900,  900 x 1200, whatever you want as long as each side is 800 px or more)

The product must be clearly shown (well lit, facing forward/side views, not far in the distance, etc) 

3. Put your title on the first line, then the Entry # and Statement (which will be in quotes.)  

4. You may put up to 40 lines (NOT SENTENCES) as a story or the dialogue between characters. Dialogue really catches the viewer's attention! The upper limit of 40 lines is for folks who are using multiple statements and need more leeway to get the statements into dialogue.  We want the image to tell the story if possible, but dialogue and background explanation are also sometimes helpful 

No other comments should be in the Entries thread, use this Discussion thread.

5. For this contest, please use a minimum of 4 products. ONE MUST BE GYPSY ANGEL PRODUCTS FROM DAZ to qualify for the 1st-3rd prizes.  (You can use more.)   For any products used, you need to use most of the product, not a tiny kit-bashed piece.  See the bottom of the post for how to do a link.  If you do not use one of her products, you do not qualify for prizes above $8.00

Important: Please only list your main 4 products in the first set of links, and GypsyAngel's one (or more) must be listed in this part. If you want to list ALL the products you used, list the others as the very last thing on your entry post, with links following the same guidelines. (Not required.) This keeps the posts from getting too bogged down at the top of each entry. 

6. Postwork is allowed, but the overwhelming impression of the render should be the product on its own merit.

7.  Yes, you certainly can use programs other than DAZ Studio, such as Poser, etc.

8.  Again- For your entry to qualify, YOU MUST VOTE.

Line1: Title

Line 2: "Statement used"   Entry #1 (2,3, etc)

Line 3-5: links to 4 main items/products used (minimum one must be GypsyAngels) 

Line 6: Image

Line 7: Story  (no more than 40 LINES) 

Line8: additional products used.

Use this thread for any questions, comments, works in progress/ask opinions or for assistance with the render or the contest. In other words, have fun. If you really found a product you like while you're using it, chat it up!   Again, to post the ENTRIES, they go HERE. 

Here are some suggestions for improving your contest/daily renders.

How To Embed Images In The Post:

How to do this: (It's easy.) Attach your image using the Attach A File below this message area. Save the post. Now go to your image and click it to view it. Copy the URL.  Now Edit your post (mouse over the upper right corner above this area and you'll see a cog to click/Select Edit.) Next, go to the postcard icon above this message area and click it. Paste the URL where it says URL. For width and height, make sure width is 800 or less, and height is 600 or less. It will automatically keep the aspect ratio for you. Then, while the popup is still open, click on the Link tab and paste the URL there too. For Target, please select the "New Window (_blank) option so again, they stay on the thread. (If you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me. I'll be glad to help you.)

Your images do have to be a minimum of 800 for both height and width, but by putting these other dimensions in the form, they are SHOWN smaller. This helps people on phones and other devices.

How To Do A Link:

To do a link: Click on the link icon (it's that chain-link above this text area) and paste it there where it says URL. IMPORTANT: there will be two tabs, Link Info and Target. The URL is in Link Info, so that's easy. What I need you to do is THEN click on the Target tab. Please open the drop down and select  "New Window (_blank) so when people do click on the link you've provided, they don't leave the thread. (Very annoying.)  

Post edited by Novica on

Comments

• Fae3DFae3D Posts: 2,409

I'm a little confused.  I already own several of GypsyAngel's characters.  Can I use them, or do they have to be newly purchased for this contest?  I don't have the money right now to buy any new ones, but I'd be happy to show off the gorgeous ones already in my runtime!

• HylasHylas Posts: 4,746
    edited June 2019

Thanks for running this contest! I'm considering participating.
    I have a few questions though...

"There must be a minimum of five entries," - minimum 5 entries per contestant? Or are we talking about all entries for the contest, by all contestants?

"To be considered for a prize, the contest participants MUST VOTE, and SHOULD vote once for themselves." but then "Because artists cannot vote for themselves," - I'm confused about this part.

Post edited by Hylas on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

by saying  use 800width by 600 height you are restricting people to using landscape format, 

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

This looks like it is going to be a fun contest!

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

No, they do not have to be new. Use the wonderful ones you already have!

I'm a little confused.  I already own several of GypsyAngel's characters.  Can I use them, or do they have to be newly purchased for this contest?  I don't have the money right now to buy any new ones, but I'd be happy to show off the gorgeous ones already in my runtime!

edited July 2019
    Hylas said:

"There must be a minimum of five entries," - minimum 5 entries per contestant? Or are we talking about all entries for the contest, by all contestants?

"To be considered for a prize, the contest participants MUST VOTE, and SHOULD vote once for themselves." but then "Because artists cannot vote for themselves," - I'm confused about this part.

Five entries total- aka a minimum of five people must participate.

Sorry about that latter part, I was doing a hasty copy/paste. You DO vote, and should vote for yourself (first place, but must vote for ALL places, aka first through sixth) I'll go edit that now.  EDITED TO ADD- You only vote for yourself ONCE, no matter how many entries you submit..

Post edited by Novica on
    edited June 2019
    Chohole said:

by saying  use 800width by 600 height you are restricting people to using landscape format, 

The minimum size for height and width is 800 pixels. It doesn't have to be a square (you can do 800 x 1100, etc) but both the height and width must be at LEAST 800 pixels.

I'll put "For example"  so it's clearer and rewrite it. As long as width and height are at least 800 pixels, any combination of dimensions is fine. You can do 800 x 1100,  1100 x 800,  1000 x 1200,  1200 x 1100, whatever you want to do.

Post edited by Novica on
  • Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,818

Very interesting, I do have some of Gypsy's lovely characters... now to sort through all the ideas to a workable amount ^^

I've also changed the "images must be .jpg format to also include .png format. Can't remember why I did that (I copied this from a year ago.) 

FYI   I put a link to the GoFundMe page in the first post. GypsyAngel told me the statements made her laugh and she can hardly wait to see what you come up with!

Here's the post which tells you how to do the banner and a clickable link, if you'd like to make one or use mine.  The link to my banner is included in the instructions.

Chohole has added to the prize pool, see the first post. She is enabling us to have more prizes (a 7th and 8th) and add to 4th-6th places. Thanks so much @Chohole

• dsmith84dsmith84 Posts: 5

Hi! Was wondering if I enter and win can I choose instead to have the money donated to Gypsy? I've been supporting her for years, and I need Gypsyboys in my life!

Denny

dsmith84 said:

Hi! Was wondering if I enter and win can I choose instead to have the money donated to Gypsy? I've been supporting her for years, and I need Gypsyboys in my life!

Denny

Wish I could do that, but the gift cards are already purchased. In other words, can't be transferred to a money status. That is so sweet of you Denny to think of doing that :)  However, by showcasing her products they may catch someone's interest who will buy them. 

The best way you can help is by purchacing her boys or by clicking on the signature in Novica's posting to donate!

• 3Ddreamer3Ddreamer Posts: 1,276

Never entered one of your Because I Said So! comps before so I have a question about 'participants must vote for themselves' part. Say you enter 2 renders, the first 2 votes of the 8 are your own renders? Or just one vote for your pictures?

Just notiuced the GA from DAZ part - will have to rework my first render, and figure out how to work in from DAZ to the second one I'm setting up last night. Or it could just become a nice guy for the Michael and Friends thread. :-)

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    edited July 2019

Title: "Nope, Haven't Seen Her in Months! Years! Decades!"

Statement used: #8 ("GypsyAngel? No, haven't seen her.")

Links to main products: Ronan for G3M, Sawyer for G3M, Merrick for Michael 7Nala for G3F

Story: The lovely heiress GypsyAngel (played by Nala) is hiding from her evil cousin Amir (played by Ronan), who wants to control her fortune by marrying her off to his twerpy brother Akbar. The kindly young merchant Ali (played by Sawyer) is doing his best to cover for her, but he's not good at lying. Ali's bodyguard, the Varangian mercenary Thorstein (played by Merrick), watches carefully, ready to intervene if the kid gets in over his head.

Additional products used: Persian Kucheh, Morrocan Dreams, Chohole Freebie Textures for Morrocan Dreams, Spartan Warrior for G3M, Spartan Warrior Textures, Thracian Gladiator, Thracian Gladiator Textures, Leandros Hair, Perseus Hair, Audrey Hair, Ultimate Hair Textures 2, Iradiance Light Probe 3Finlay Hair, Dforce Master Cloth Simulation, and the discontinued Persian Kucheh Action Poses, converted forward using the V4 to G2F Pose Converter and the G2F to G3F Pose Converter. Poses adjusted using Bone Doctor. Morrocan Dreams converted forward using the G3M versions of Wear Them All and Ultra Templates. Nala is also wearing a freebie dress by Fisty & Darc, but I don't believe it's in the store anymore.

GypsyAngelContest2019.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by Odaa on
    edited July 2019

You  are allowed to pick ONE for your first place choice, regardless of how many entries you have. So if you have 8 entries, you pick one of the 8 and award yourself first choice. I'll add to make that clearer. :) 

3Ddreamer said:

Never entered one of your Because I Said So! comps before so I have a question about 'participants must vote for themselves' part. Say you enter 2 renders, the first 2 votes of the 8 are your own renders? Or just one vote for your pictures?

Post edited by Novica on
    edited July 2019

@odaa   You made me laugh out loud with that description of the "twerpy" brother!

Okay, you need to put this over in the renders only thread for the entries.   If you do a copy/paste though, your current post is on a light background and the post over there is on a gray. Here's how to avoid white highlighting- once you copy/paste, and save, go back and Edit. Go hit Source  and look for < span or <span class  and then it will have a color as numbers.   Delete that. At the end of the sentence/ sentences you will find </ Span  >  and take that out too. Then get out of Source and Save. The white highlighting should be gone.

Post edited by Novica on
  • OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548
    edited July 2019
    Novica said:

@odaa   You made me laugh out loud with that description of the "twerpy" brother!

Okay, you need to put this over in the renders only thread for the entries.   If you do a copy/paste though, your current post is on a light background and the post over there is on a gray. Here's how to avoid white highlighting- once you copy/paste, and save, go back and Edit. Go hit Source  and look for < span or <span class  and then it will have a color as numbers.   Delete that. At the end of the sentence/ sentences you will find </ Span  >  and take that out to. Then get out of Source and Save. The white highlighting should be gone.

Thank you, took a couple of tries but I think I got the post in the other thread right now.

Post edited by Odaa on
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited July 2019

N.A.E.

I had every intention of creating an image that would satisfy the requirements of this contest.  However, Mariah had other ideas...and I always get the best results when I actually listen to my Muse.  Thank you gypsyangel for creating such a wonderful character.

Title:  Mariah

Mariah.png
    927 x 1500 - 2M
    Post edited by Kismet2012 on
    edited July 2019

N.A.E.

I had every intention of creating an image that would satisfy the requirements of this contest.  However, Mariah had other ideas...and I always get the best results when I actually listen to my Muse.  Thank you gypsyangel for creating such a wonderful character.

You definitely used four different products and I don't see why it wouldn't qualify, using any of these three?  I'd say enter it!

Post edited by Novica on
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    Novica said:

N.A.E.

You definitely used four different products and I don't see why it wouldn't qualify, using any of these three?  I'd say enter it!

Thanks Novica

I should have re-read the rules before posting.

edited July 2019

Title: Chance Meeting

Statement used: "Hmmm... GypsyAngel was definitely here."   Entry #1

Stuff Used:  Apartment Floor

Casual Jeans and T-Shirt for Genesis and Genesis 2 Female(s)

Hip Hop Outfit for Genesis 3 Male(s)

Mace for Genesis 3 Male , 

Story:  Jordon and Sarah were on their way out to their favorite resteraunt when Scott and Angelia came out of their apartment. Scott was carrying Angelia because she had hurt her ankle while being chased by Scott in their apartment, so he was taking her to the hospital. Jordon didn't like their neighbours at all because they were always too loud. 

Extra Stuff Used: Buccaneer Basic TexturesBuccaneer Basic for Genesis , Freak 5 Starter Bundle , V5 Summer Set , Victoria 5 , Advanced DAZ Studio Light Bundle , Nox Hair for Genesis 3 Male(s) & Female(s)​ , Vidal Braids for Genesis 2 Female(s)​ , Jordan Hair​

Edited to fix spelling mistakes

Chance Meeting.png
    800 x 640 - 899K
    Post edited by Saphirewild on

@Saphirewild   LOL I think Scott (or Scoot? You have it different in several places, may want to fix that. Scoot made me laugh)  was just looking for an excuse to cuddle with his sweetie!  That hair is a hoot! 

Novica said:

@Saphirewild   LOL I think Scott (or Scoot? You have it different in several places, may want to fix that. Scoot made me laugh)  was just looking for an excuse to cuddle with his sweetie!  That hair is a hoot! 

I know I should have reread it before posting (Face Palms)blush

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,714
    Novica said:
    dsmith84 said:

Denny

Wish I could do that, but the gift cards are already purchased. In other words, can't be transferred to a money status. That is so sweet of you Denny to think of doing that :)  However, by showcasing her products they may catch someone's interest who will buy them. 

If you use the gift card to buy something (non DAZ Original) in her store it will still benefit her.

Already own most of her store :)  But others can do that.- great suggestion!

edited July 2019

Title: Planned Vacation

Statement used "GypsyAngel planned this vacation?"   Entry #2

Products Used: Millennium Horse​

Western Outlaw for Genesis 2 Male(s)

Sawyer for Genesis 3 Male

Castle Courtyard​ 

Story: Sawyer was coming from the lower part of the courtyard and ran into Tina and started chatting to her about the weather. John just rode in on the stagecoach Joan was his passenger. She came to the courtyard to buy some great new dresses and to see if GypsyAngel was there to show her around the kingdom. John took the horses off their ranes while he was waiting for the horse trainners to come take them to the barn. 

Additional Products: 

Planned Vacation.png
    800 x 640 - 927K
    Post edited by Saphirewild on
  • TaozTaoz Posts: 9,714
    edited July 2019

Title: White hot and ready to blow
    Statement used: #5, "Well, we all knew GypsyAngel is creative."
    Products used: Eilish for Genesis 3 Female , 3 in 1 Dungarees for Genesis 3 & Genesis 8 Female(s) , Collective3d Portrait Vignettes Contemporary 4 , Computer Desk

Story: ... but she's working so hard that she is blowing up her computers.
    Additional products: Raffaella Hair for Genesis 3 Female(s) , Z Morphing Office Chair & Poses , Casual Tourist for Genesis 3 Female(s) 

And the picture of the guy on the wall is one of her male characters: Rex for Genesis 8 Male

Post edited by Taoz on