Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 5

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,111
    edited December 1969

Put one above the other, just turn it around and keep the water.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited October 2013

Here is the same process Wings 3D project - simple armoured ball - by David Brinnen but applied also to a torus.

Bryce and Octane.

Torus_octane1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 165K
    Torus1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 255K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited November 2013

Guss; I have to go with the purple one you know me and purple.....

David; Love that armored ball !! so its it a render or a photo I can't tell very real ?? The hand looks real......

Post edited by Trish on
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Trish: Thanks, it worked well in that instance, IMHO.

@David: Nice results on those latest two. I suppose you placed the two objects on the hand much like you did with Vicki on the table top?

Horo stated the second image of my latest TE canyons would make a good cave, and after giving it another look from that view point, I had to agree. Though I was dubious about giving cave making another try, my first ones could have been used for kindling had the been wood, I went ahead with the task.

The initial terrain was C&V, lifted, and rotated until something resembling a cave ceiling rared its little head. I also tilted the new terrain a bit in order to get more features into the scene. Material was the same but didn't look quite right so it got tweaked a bit in the DTE. I soon discovered the original lighting I used for the canyon wasn't going to work with this scene because the upper terrain cut off the sun and sky influence. So sun and sky were disabled and I started tweaking the HDRI settings to add more lighting between the terrains. Increasing the HDRI effect did increase the lighting but the material still had a rather dead look. It was then I decided to play with Ambient to see if this would help in any way. And it did. Between adjusting the Ambience for the material and adjusting the global Ambient settings I finally started to see something that appealed to me. Something was still missing so I dropped a radial light into the mix and enlarged it to fill the space between both terrains. To cut this diatribe short, playing with Ambient, the HDRI, and the radial light I finally got something that might be called a cave. I also tried one with the radial light repositioned and one without the HDRI and using TA. As usual, your suggestions are gladly accepted.

TEcanyon_Cave_5.png
    757 x 504 - 748K
    TEcanyon_Cave_4.png
    757 x 504 - 674K
    TEcanyon_Cave_3.png
    757 x 504 - 709K
    TEcanyon_Cave_2.png
    757 x 504 - 720K
    TEcanyon_Cave_1.png
    757 x 504 - 758K
    edited December 1969

@GussNemo - I like what you did here. As a closed cave, the fourth looks probably the most dramatic. The one open at one side, I prefer the third. The cave as such looks very nice.

HDRI from inside (without TA/Obscure) works only if the scene is built around the world centre. The HDRI is in the world centre. If the terrain is not set to solid, you can disable shadow casting for it. Then, light can penetrate.

For a closed cave, I would go for conventional lighting altogether. Think of a cave that can be visited. It's pitch black within but artificial lights are set at strategic points to the wall. Their influence should be short - perhaps use even square falloff. You'll need several lights. And if you have the courage and time, an opening - a slit or hole - to the outside and a light shaft ...

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @GussNemo - I like what you did here. As a closed cave, the fourth looks probably the most dramatic. The one open at one side, I prefer the third. The cave as such looks very nice.

HDRI from inside (without TA/Obscure) works only if the scene is built around the world centre. The HDRI is in the world centre. If the terrain is not set to solid, you can disable shadow casting for it. Then, light can penetrate.

For a closed cave, I would go for conventional lighting altogether. Think of a cave that can be visited. It's pitch black within but artificial lights are set at strategic points to the wall. Their influence should be short - perhaps use even square falloff. You'll need several lights. And if you have the courage and time, an opening - a slit or hole - to the outside and a light shaft ...

sounds good that, a bit like this lovely cave. http://www.scherminator.com/britain/caves/c5.jpg just a few miles away from us.

edited November 2013

WOW.. chohole you sure do live in a neat part of the world!!

Guss; Its between the 3rd and last ...I can't choose.......

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

WOW.. chohole you sure do live in a neat part of the world!!

Guss; Its between the 3rd and last ...I can't choose.......

Yes. We moved here when we retired, but before that it used to be a fave place for holidays. Where I actually live is sort of a small town, large village, but I see Mountains from my front window, and don't have to go far to see more and walk around them, and when you have mountains you do tend to get caves. The one I posted the link to is part of the Dan yr ogof show caves, and that particular cave is called the Cathedral Cave. When you go down there, they play music, it is wonderful to hear it reverberating round the cave, and yet you can walk along a passage and the sound disappears, and then will come back at another point.

At one point, if you go on a guided tour, they turn the lights off, to show you how dark it is down there.

edited December 1969

@Horo: Thank you very much. I agree with you about the fourth image, though I'd be happier if I could get the foreground a bit darker. The last one results from moving the radial light a bit south and disabling the HDRI.

Keep in mind that the south end is not closed, it is open just as it was in the TE canyon. And since I tilted the upper terrain toward the north, light from outside can get inside. The first time I adjusted the lighting I disabled the HDRI after the sun and the scene went dark. So I re-enabled the HDRI, added the radial light and played around adjusting Ambience. The fifth image is lit only with an enlarged radial light moves a bit to the south, with TA enabled so the back upper wall can receive a bit of reflected light. When time permits I think I'll give your suggestion of total black with multiple lights a try, I need to work on lighting anyway.

@Pam: That is a gorgeous cave. How far does it extend? When I first saw that picture it reminded me of David's scene with the sidewalls.

@Trish: Thanks.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    sounds good that, a bit like this lovely cave. http://www.scherminator.com/britain/caves/c5.jpg just a few miles away from us.

That's our nearest one, 20 minutes from home: http://www.lac-souterrain.com/index_eng.html. I was allowed half an hour before opening to shoot an HDRI panorama 5 years ago. I should use it once in a render, come to think of it.
    edited November 2013

Horo; that is a really beautiful cave....and the rocks they sell came from the cave also? Yes please due render the panorama would love to see that as well....wish I could have visited your country...but the military has a job for you to do so I wasn't supposed to be on vacation...LOL Trish

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    chohole said:

That's our nearest one, 20 minutes from home: http://www.lac-souterrain.com/index_eng.html. I was allowed half an hour before opening to shoot an HDRI panorama 5 years ago. I should use it once in a render, come to think of it.

Wow, that is lovely Horo

The Dan yr Ogof system is 11+ miles of caves. The first section of the cave system is open to the public, but the extensive cave system beyond is scheduled as a National Nature Reserve and is open only to bona-fide cavers.

edited November 2013

GussNemo said:

@David: Nice results on those latest two. I suppose you placed the two objects on the hand much like you did with Vicki on the table top?

The hand is Lora's I just exported the hand and wrist from DS.

I like 4 best, nice lighting.

Here's another little Wings 3D ball project. Wings 3D project - simple armoured ball 2 - by David Brinnen

Edit: And Wings 3D project - extracted organic cube twist - by David Brinnen

Wings_extracted_organic_cube_twist1_octane.jpg
    850 x 850 - 170K
    Wings_extracted_organic_cube_twist1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 267K
    Ball2.jpg
    850 x 850 - 200K
    Ball_2.jpg
    850 x 850 - 300K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969

Horo; that is a really beautiful cave....and the rocks they sell came from the cave also? Yes please due render the panorama would love to see that as well....wish I could have visited your country...but the military has a job for you to do so I wasn't supposed to be on vacation...LOL Trish

Well, the free light probe for Bryce in 3 different diameters I had made there have been waiting on my website for 3-1/2 years to get downloaded. Raytracing > Resources > HR-HDRI > Page 1.

@Pam - when I was in England, I visited the Wooky Hole Caves and the Cheddar caves in the southwest of England. I came even as far as south-east Wales - Tintern Abbey, the Wye valley on a mystery tour with British Rail.

@David - very nice shapes.

• Fencepost52Fencepost52 Posts: 489
    edited December 1969

Nice work, everybody!

I haven't done anything in quite awhile and I'm not really happy with this, but I needed to create something. Create the "woven sphere" in Wings. Will be posting a tutorial on how to make it.

KnotBall3.jpg
    700 x 700 - 596K
  • franontheedgefranontheedge Posts: 342
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Been playing again. Made the render. Then decided to run a photofilter over it. Then I ran a different one, and got a rather cool monochrome image, then a friednd told me I should turn it into a painting, so I tried doing that as well.

Room for a View.

Yes the monochrome one looks very good in this setting. Less is more sometimes?

I've continued experimenting myself.

David, I'd like to know how you made that object.
    I've been doing a few of your Wings3d weird shape tutorials - enjoying them tremendously! - but I can't find a tutorial on how to make this object, can you help?
    It looks a bit like the 'Twisted Mobius Cube Thingie - but isn't - help?

edited December 1969

@fencepost52 - that's a very nice shape, this wire-cube.

edited December 1969

This one covers some more advanced things about controlling edges when smoothing in Wings 3D.

Wings 3D project - cube twisted ported loop drilled - by David Brinnen

Renders, Bryce and Octane.

Cube_twisted_ported_loop_drilled1_octane.jpg
    850 x 850 - 165K
    Cube_twisted_ported_loop_drilled1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 244K
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Been playing again. Made the render. Then decided to run a photofilter over it. Then I ran a different one, and got a rather cool monochrome image, then a friednd told me I should turn it into a painting, so I tried doing that as well.

Room for a View.

Yes the monochrome one looks very good in this setting. Less is more sometimes?

I've continued experimenting myself.

David, I'd like to know how you made that object.
    I've been doing a few of your Wings3d weird shape tutorials - enjoying them tremendously! - but I can't find a tutorial on how to make this object, can you help?
    It looks a bit like the 'Twisted Mobius Cube Thingie - but isn't - help?

This?

Wings 3D project - another twisted looped cube thing - by David Brinnen

or this?

Wings 3D project - two part twisted woven cube - by David Brinnen

• KerynaKeryna Posts: 101
    edited December 1969

Wow i am really taken with David's 3D wings armoured balls and similar objects- They Look so good! From Davids tut Ive learned how to make these in Hexagon now from and hope I can produce some decent forms and renders soon.

Gus-Nemo your cave looks amazing - and yes render 4 seems most pleasing. Horo thanks for the link to the St Leonard cave, which looks a place worth visiting if I get to Switzerland again one day! I'll bet there was lots of ancient human mythology about such a place - used by Druids etc maybe perhaps.

edited November 2013

Ok, I made a beginning. Three renders and there's a story to them.

1: Michael is a modern gentleman and let his spouse buy the tickets for the entrance and is waitng bored with only a spider on his side. IBL render with shadow catcher and soft IBL shadows.

2: Victoria has the tickets and comes down the stairs. A naughty gremlin put my sig on the waste bucket and creeps away. Rendered with Obscure Light.

3: The troll is an old fashioned gentleman and bring a flower bouquet as a welcome to Victoria. However, she is oblivious because the troll doesn't actually exist. Like all ghosts, he casts no shadows. The gremlins are likewise not here but managed to put my sig on the waste bucket anyway. Also rendered with Obscure light.

Horo thanks for the link to the St Leonard cave, which looks a place worth visiting if I get to Switzerland again one day! I'll bet there was lots of ancient human mythology about such a place - used by Druids etc maybe perhaps.

No, actually not. The cave came into being when there was an earthquake around Paris in the 1800 or so. They tell you that when in he boat. So no druids and cave paintings, I'm afraid.

There is a QTVR panorama on my website (see sig). Go to HDRI & Panoramas > Panoramas > 4th row 4th column.

DLacSTtroll.jpg
    1200 x 800 - 203K
    DLacSTvict.jpg
    600 x 900 - 132K
    DLacSTmike.jpg
    600 x 900 - 98K
    Post edited by Horo on
    edited December 1969

It was the first one, but... now you mention it the second one sounds interesting. I've already done the woven cube one, but I'd have liked to be able to put different materials on what looks like (but isn't) two different twisted cube sets. I'm off to look at the two part twisted cube in the hope that this will result in two objects rather than one...

edited November 2013

Horo; Love it and a story too ...that is cool....Trish p.s. and the spider looks to be a black widow...oohhh

Post edited by Trish on
    edited December 1969

@Horo: That first cave is beautiful. I'll have to try and use that HDRI of the second cave sometime.

@David: Thank you. All of the recent shapes are terrific, and when time permits I have a go at the videos and objects.

@fencepost: That's a neat image, the springs ground material works well with the sphere. Love the colors on that sphere, too.

edited November 2013

Horo; Love it and a story too ...that is cool....Trish p.s. and the spider looks to be a black widow...oohhh

Good eye! Thank you. by the way, for the third render I had the extreme wide angle lens in front of the camera.

@GussNemo - thank you. Yes, give it a try.

Post edited by Horo on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,988
    edited December 1969

David – the armoured balls look great, the organic one is awesome- new tuts to try - thanks.

Guss – your canyon and cave renders are awesome. I was browsing the Create presets library and saw a Stalagmite terrain. Actually there is a wealth of goodies in the presets that need exploring.

Fencepost – wow, awesome looking forward to the tut.

Horo – lovely renders and the story to go with it.

My attempt with your example (Page 88). I exported a Spherical map using your Furka Hdri, offset according to what David mentions in his videos and used that as the image for both the outer sphere and radial light. Premium Render 256 RPP, TA. TA Scattering Correction, Boost light MRD 8 TIR 3 – render 55 mins. I increased the MRD and TIR but still have some black spots.

The second is the same setup using the idea for a rose from Keryna. The rose is a black and white image from the net which I copied and pasted into the TE and applied Gaussian Edges. I tried increasing/decreasing the MRD and TIR values but the burnt out area and the black sports were still there, so I rendered with MRD 8 TIR 3 Render time 3hr 45 mins. I think it looks more plastic than glass.

The last example is a revisit to David’s Bryce 7.1 Pro Experiments - Advanced Obscure Lighting Setup - by David Brinnen

roses-advanced_lighting1b.jpg
    600 x 600 - 63K
    roses-advanced_lighting.jpg
    450 x 450 - 17K
    advanced_lighting-horo1.jpg
    600 x 600 - 36K
    edited December 1969

@mermaid010 - thank you. The first example looks very nice. The second one was a bit expensive for the result. It somehow appears blurred, though it isn't. It must be the way the reflections show up. Perhaps rotating the reflection sphere could help. The third is really a hit. The rose looks very nice indeed. The problem with this render method is the noise. Perhaps giving the rose-terrain and the ground plane a bit of bump may hide the noise. In any case, great examples!

edited December 1969

Okay, while I wait to go pick up my husband from hospital after his knee op', here last night's render.
    Nothing too fancy here, I'm using the result of one of David's Wings3d Tuts with an old material I created some time ago and used then on a logo for Wings3d (made my own icon for the desktop with that.)
    Here it's on the inner... thingie, and on the outer... thingie I've just used one of my old Copper materials originally created from Hammered steel, and then bothered, tweeked and scared into doing what I wanted.
    A small green radial is sitting in the centre of the blue thingie, simple grey background - possibly one of David Brinnen's skies I think.

TwistedMobius4.jpg
    953 x 812 - 132K
    edited December 1969

Somethings else... just in passing, will return to comment in a while Wings 3D project - Octahedron twisted ported loop webbed - by David Brinnen

Octa_twiseted_ported_loop1_webbed1_octane.jpg
    850 x 850 - 150K
    Octa_twiseted_ported_loop1_webbed1.jpg
    850 x 850 - 322K
    edited December 1969

@franontheedge - the parts are nicely separated. I wonder how this shape would look rendered with Obscure Light and the inner part lit by Obscure Glow.

@David - shapes look great, the first one is particularly nice textured.

I've been experimenting with Hyper-Gel light and IBL. Top left is Hyper-Gel lit and additionally the sun shining through the glass objects. Top right is exclusively IBL lit with quality 4096. It needs almost a third longer to render but there is no noise as in the 256 rpp TA render. Lower left with quality 16 is unusable and at lower right with quality 256 quite acceptable and it takes a tenth of the render time.

HgIbl.jpg
    1202 x 1202 - 277K
This discussion has been closed.